After Booting Windows Black Screen
System boot problems
The problem has a wide range of factors that provoke it.
In addition, the black screen can also be displayed in different ways, such as with or without a cursor.
Let’s take a closer look at the main causes of breakdown:
- An internal error in the operation of the operating system, due to which it cannot adequately interact with the graphical environment;
- Failure of the driver for the card (incompatibility with the installed version of Windows);
- Breakdown of the computer’s internal storage;
- Critical disruption of Windows OC, preventing it from loading correctly even in safe mode;
- Other conflicts of the hardware department of the PC;
- The operating system is unable to wake up from sleep mode.
Removing programs from the control panel
Try to remove all programs that can cause a system conflict, as well as test your computer for various malware.
Start the system again in safe mode and open the control panel by right-clicking on the “Start” icon.
From the list, select “Programs and Features” and click on it.
Remove them using standard Windows features or by using a third-party program.
One of the best currently available is CCleaner.
Working window of the program
The program is clear and efficient enough to remove all accumulated file junk.
All that is required of you is to check the boxes in the “Cleaning” section opposite the necessary items.
After the analysis carried out by the program, press the “Cleanup” button and wait for its completion.
Go to the “Service” tab, you are free to choose the programs to be removed.
Select the one you need and click on the “Uninstall” button.
Monitor and system unit
Hardware Issues Cause Black Screens.
For example, due to poor contact of the monitor with the system unit, when it does NOT receive a signal from the card.
Checking and removing viruses
Clean your PC from viruses
Malware is the culprit in operating system failure like no other.
Therefore, it is necessary to check not only the partition with the system, but also the entire hard disk for their identification.
One of them will be the use of the 4MRecover utility, which is present on the 4MRescueKit Live CD.
Another option is to check the hard drive on another computer that has good anti-virus protection.
True, this is not very convenient, since you will have to remove the cover of the system unit and disconnect the disk itself.
Checking the operability of the card drivers
The card driver should work correctly
Check the status of the card drivers that may conflict with the system.
To do this, it is necessary to start the operating system again in safe mode by activating the item to support the mode with a low screen resolution in its menu.
After the login is done. go to the control panel.
To do this, right-click on the “Start” menu and select “Device Manager” from the list that appears.
Select the installed card in the “adapters” section and go to its properties window.
On the “Driver” tab, click on the Remove button.
Driver uninstall example
Then restart your computer and install the factory drivers that come with the card.
You can go to the website of its manufacturer and download their latest version there.
If you do not know what drivers to look for. call the “Run” tab using the WinR key combination.
In the opening field, enter
and click on the “Ok” button.
In this case, the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window will appear, which will display the name of the available card.
Using the information received, downloading the necessary ones is quite simple.
Definition of bad sectors
It should be noted right away that broken sectors are almost impossible to restore.
However, they can be closed for reading and writing, so they will NOT interfere with further work. The origin of this damage is of two nature:
- Logical. It occurs due to the mismatch of the ECC code with the contents of the sector. In fact, these fragments are NOT broken, but only temporarily unreadable, so they need to be repaired;
- Mechanical. Broken sectors of this kind are caused by strong blows or strong shocks during operation. These particles are permanently out of order and therefore cannot be repaired.
To find and restore in the Windows operating system, there is a built-in verification utility. CHKDSK.
This program is also recommended to run sometimes in preventive measures, so that in the future the system does not record on Bad.
This component is launched in two ways:
- Through the command term. To do this, call the Run menu with the WinR combination and enter cmd into it. In the window that opens, enter the following values: CHKDSK C: / where C is the letter designation of the local disk being checked;
- Through the properties of the section in the “Computer” tab.
If the check shows that there are bad sectors in the PC memory, the utility will offer to restore or close them.
To prevent the occurrence of the damage in question, it is necessary to periodically clean the hard drives from accumulated dust and dirt.
In addition, solid state drives do not tolerate drops very well, so we must try to prevent them.
To prevent logical damage, you additionally need to defragment partitions from time to time, as well as optimize them.
By adhering to THESE tips, you will significantly lower the load on the hard drive and increase its durability.
15 Reasons Why Black Screen Appears When Booting Your Computer: Troubleshooting
There is a very common problem among PC owners. you turn on the computer and see a black screen when it boots.
What are the reasons for this failure and what to do in this situation. the main topic of this article.
Checking the hard drive for performance and the presence of bad sectors
Checking bad sectors of HDD
Worst case when black screen appears is hard disk failure.
Initially, this reason can be answered if the cursor is visible on the display, as this means that the device is functioning.
If you see a completely dark screen, most likely this provoked the fact that the drive simply does not work and, as a result, is not displayed in the system.
One of the best available is Rufus.
The utility, despite the scarcity of the external interface, copes with its purpose well enough.
Using it is very simple: you just need to select the NTFS formatted boot volume and image file in the “Device” section, and then click “Start”. Application start page view.
Comprehensive computer recovery Windows 7
If you do not have a previously created restore point or the previous options did NOT fit, then you must follow a different instruction. It will work even if the system files are too damaged, and the operating shell does NOT boot even in safe mode. If a black screen appears on your Windows 7 and comments for recovery points, do this:
- During system boot press F 8, select “Troubleshoot” option from the list. Hit Enter. to download the utility.
- You will see a list of available tools, from which you need to select the “Command Line” option.
- A command prompt window will appear on the screen. In it, you must enter the regedit command. to load the Registry Editor interface. After typing press Enter.
- The peculiarity of the running editor is that the entries in it refer to the recovery environment. Therefore, you must first select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Then Click on the “File” button and select the “Load Hive” command.
- In the address term enter C: Windowssystem32config or sequentially go to the Windows folder. system 32, config. In the folder that opens, find the SYSTEM file and Click on the “Open” button.
- You will see a window for loading the partition hive. Enter in it any name from a pair of Latin letters and 2-3 numbers. Click on the “Ok” button.
- In the HKEY _ LOCAL _ MACHINE folder, a section appears with the characters you entered. open it.
- Select the Setup folder and on the right side of the window find the CmdLine option. Click on it and enter cmd in the window that opens. exe. Click on the “Ok” button.
- Now on the right side of the Registry Editor window Click on the SetupType parameter. In the window for making changes, enter “2” and click on the “OK” button.
- Go back to Registry Editor and highlight the key you downloaded. Now you need to click on the “File” button in the top panel and select the “Unload Hive” option. A window will appear in front of you in which you need to confirm your actions.
- Close the Registry Editor and the Command Timeline window with the help of crosses. You will see the Restore Wizard window and click on the “Restart” button.
- The system will restart and the command prompt window will appear again. It is necessary to enter the sfc / scannow command into it. confirm it with Enter.
- With this command, you start scanning the system files. On our own, they will be scanned for integrity, if the files are damaged, they will be automatically restored.
- After completing the procedure, DO NOT rush to turn off the Command timeline, but enter the shutdown / r / t command in the window 0 Confirm it by pressing Enter.
- After this command, the system will restart, after which it will start in normal mode.
But this is not the end of the work with system recovery. It is worth downloading the Dr.Web CureI t utility. to check files for viruses. Often difficulties with recovery arise precisely after a virus attack on a computer.
Now you know: why Windows 7 black screen appears, what to do to restore system performance. Share this information with your friends so that they do not need to reinstall in such situations. If you still have questions about OS recovery, ask them in the comments.
The easiest method to fix the problem
In simple situations with small failures, you can effectively and quickly solve the problem by using Windows 7 restore points, i.e. Roll back the OS.
To this end, you must perform the following sequential steps:
- To start the OS, quickly press the “F8” button, after which a screen appears with inscriptions in white letters, where it is proposed to select the method of loading the OS;
- Place the cursor on the line “Last good configuration” with the arrows and call it “enter”;
- After that, if the PC boots up and the usual desktop appears, then the user has successfully managed to remove the BSEC problem.
OS boots but doesn’t work
When the black screen does not allow working with the mouse, we perform a forced reboot. At the start of the OS, press the “F8” key to open additional options for logging into the system. Select the Checked item to load the last good configuration.
If the OS could not perform this operation and start in normal mode, go to the second marked parameter. Boot Windows in Safe Mode. Opening the system control panel.
Select the section Highlighted in the screenshot.
Launching OS recovery from checkpoint.
We read the Framed Text and make sure we are on the right track. The black screen at startup fully falls under the definition of “blocking work”. Click “Next” to get to the point selection menu.
If you check the box indicated by the arrow, all available “snapshots” will appear. We select a suitable point at which the system is guaranteed to be operational. Ideally, there should be an intermediate reboot between it and the current state. This will provide additional assurance that the OS will work. Having made a choice, click on the highlighted button.
We check that the recovery will be performed from the desired point and confirm readiness.
We receive the last warning and run the procedure.
The system is performing a recovery after which you can boot normally.
Black screen when booting Windows 7
One of the most “mysterious” problems that Windows users have to deal with is the “black screen”. Even Microsoft technical support cannot explain some cases. When the second errors appear, information appears on the monitor that allows you to navigate and localize the problem. In this case, the user has no prompts and is forced to act, Based on his experience. In this article, we have collected the most likely reasons for this behavior of the OS and how to deal with them.
10. Reinstall Windows
If the previous options did not help to solve the problem, we reinstall the system.
If you have valuable information on the disc, you can boot from the Windows LiveCD and copy the data to external media. After reinstalling Windows.
Rollback using system restore points
If you regularly created images of the system when it was stable, then the black screen when loading W indows 7 can be removed with their help. To do this, you need to follow the instructions:
- Restart your computer and press the F button before loading the OS 8. You should see a screen with startup options.
- On this screen, use the arrow keys to position the cursor on Last Known Good Configuration.
- Hit Enter. If after that the usual operating system boot screen appears in front of you, then the problem is solved.
This method will help if the failure occurred after a virus attack or due to a system update. Select the system image to boot by the date it was created.
System recovery using safe mode
When you press the F 8 key in the menu, you can choose another boot option “Safe Mode with Command Prompt”. This option also helps to remove the black screen when starting Windows 7. With this tool, you need to work like this:
- Press F 8 while starting the computer, after the start screen with technical information appears. Select the boot option in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- The system will start with a command prompt window. You need to enter the explorer.exe command into it and press Enter.
- This command activates Explorer. You will see the familiar design of the operating system, but it’s too early to rejoice. You need to go to the standard programs in the “Start” menu. Then expand the “System Tools” directory and click on the “System Restore” line.
- You will see a wizard window that revives the system. Click on the “Next” button and select a point to restore.
- Now you just have to confirm your choice with the “Finish” button. In the pop-up window, click “Yes”.
The computer will begin a rollback operation during which it will restart. After doing that, the Windows 7 black screen will disappear.
Windows 7 black screen reasons
First of all, you need to understand the reason for this failure. Then you can fight it more effectively. There may be several reasons:
- failure of the card drivers. in this case, nothing will be displayed on the black screen: no symbols, no cursor;
- problems after updating the software or the system itself;
- the presence of files involved in loading the system, working incorrectly;
- damage to the OS by viruses;
- defects in computer hardware.
The first thing to check when your computer does not start is whether peripheral devices are connected to it: flash drives, smartphones and others. It is best to disable them and restart your computer. in some cases this will help get rid of the black screen.
8. Disable Fast Startup or Hibernation
Fast startup allows you to save the state of the system, which in turn allows it to boot faster. In some cases, such a start of the system can lead to problems of various nature. They are solved by disabling the quick start mode.
We do the necessary settings in the command line. First, we try to disable hibernation mode:
and restart your computer. If it boots up normally, you can try hibernating again with the command:
If disabling hibernation did not solve the problem, try disabling Fast Startup. In Windows 8 and earlier versions of 10, this could be done in the power settings. In new versions, only through the registry, so we will analyze this particular method, as a universal one.
We start the command term and enter the command:
reg add “HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerPower “/ v HiberbootEnabled / t REG_DWORD / d 0 / f
with this command, we set the value of the HiberbootEnabled parameter in the HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerPower branch.
8. Problem with Windows Explorer
Explorer is the main program in Windows that is responsible for displaying windows. If it malfunctions, you may experience blank desktop display problems.
You can launch Explorer through the task manager. Read more in the article The desktop is missing.
- By default, the wrong monitor is selected.
- Failure to install Windows updates or card driver.
- Antivirus system aggressive behavior.
- Damage to explorer.exe file or its autorun.
- Software conflict.
Pay attention to similar symptoms.
- If we see a black screen right after turning on the computer (the Windows or BIOS splash screen does NOT appear on the monitor), go to the article The computer does not turn on.
- If the boot hangs to the operating system splash screen, possibly with a blinking cursor (underscore), the problem may be in the disk drive or bootloader. Read more in the instructions Booting the computer freezes on the startup screen saver or black background with a blinking cursor.
- If a menu is loaded in front of us on a black background, we try to select the usual Windows boot.
- If there is text with an error code on a black background, you need to study it using the search engine.
Below are solutions for the situation when Windows has booted, but instead of the desktop, we see a blank black screen without labels and text (only the mouse arrow can be present).
Since there is NO display on the screen, most of the solutions below run in Safe Mode or the command line. The latter can be called by pressing the Ctrl Shift Esc combination. File. Will start a new task.
15. Card replacement
If the previous options did not help, or it helps at the time of changing the resolution, the problem may be in the map.
You can try switching to the built-in one (provided that a discrete adapter was previously used) or replace the card with another.
10. Anti-virus scan
We check the computer for viruses. To do this, you can use disposable utilities, for example, CureIt.
Restore system files
As a result of the loss of part of the operating system files, it may work unstable, in particular, DO NOT load Explorer, left us with a black screen.
To check the system for the presence of damaged files or their absence, run the command term as administrator and enter the command:
If the check shows errors and is NOT able to fix them, run the command:
DISM.exe / Online / Cleanup-image / Restorehealth
14. Checking RAM
We check if we have problems with RAM:
- Trying to rearrange the strips to different slots on the motherboard.
- If there are several modules, we try to remove one at a time and check the operation of the computer.
- We do a RAM test, for example, using the memtest86 program.
Reboot or waiting
Before proceeding with the solution, try the following:
- restart the computer again. it is quite possible that the problem will be solved.
- wait, 2-3 hours. the system can start checking the status without displaying the process on the screen, which is why it seems that It did not boot correctly.
Reinstalling the card driver
If the problem started after installing / updating the driver for the card, start the computer in safe mode and try to remove the card driver. To do this, go to the Device Manager (command devmgmt.msc). Revealing adapters. Remove the Used Adapter:
After restarting the computer and installing the new driver.