Black screen when turning on the rear view camera
3-wire rear view camera pinout
Backlit camera wire pinout
The infrared illumination on the rear-view camera displays the image in color in case of sufficient light, and in case of insufficient light, thanks to the infrared light, it displays the image in black and white for about 5 meters. So, their presence on rear-view cameras is relevant, in contrast to registrars, where they have an advertising character of “night shooting” without practical use, which cannot be said about LED backlighting on rear-view cameras. it’s better without them than with them!
Installing a parking rear camera
Reversing camera connection (classic). The camera connects to the reverse wiring: plus to plus and minus to minus. When you turn on the reverse speed from the reversing light, it goes to the reversing camera, and it sends a signal to turn on the monitor automatically, so no additional manipulations need to be done. The reversing camera is automatically disabled when reversing is disabled. The camera is connected using a cable that is initially available on the wiring next to the camera or using a wire with a plug for which there is a plug on the camera wiring.
There are even wireless rear-view cameras (video transmitter and video receiver with a radio channel), then the connection will look like in the diagram.
Rear view camera mounting methods:
- into the socket of the license plate light or into the trunk handle or place for the camera. no damage to the car;
- camera in the frame of the number. the hole for the cord is not visible, as it is outside the frame;
- a mortise camera. according to the peephole principle, it is convenient among parking sensors, in a lock cylinder or just a case;
- on the pin. minimal damage, since the wire passes through the pin itself, invisible, installation with the pin up;
- overhead. have a certain angle and minimum dimensions, often have a certain position for installation;
- on a bracket. convenient in that you can mount in almost all places and change the angle of the camera and rotate the image.
6-wire rear view camera pinout
Here is the same kitchen as on 3, 4, 5-wire, just separate masses are displayed on each line. Camera wire pinout:
- Red wire “” to the reversing light.
- Yellow wire “” on tulip video signal.
- The rest of the wires “-” on the video signal tulip.
Basic wiring diagrams, device connection and pinout of connectors
5-wire rear view camera pinout
Car rear view camera wire pinout
A rear view camera is an excellent solution for controlling the movement of an auto reverse, since the mirrors do not allow you to fully see what is behind the car. Although you should not rely heavily on one video camera, because it also has its drawbacks (switching on with a small delay, limited viewing angle, insufficiently clear resolution).
Usually cameras for video surveillance of the situation behind the car, on the board on the connector, black. minus and mass, red power supply, maybe 3.3 volts and 5 volts, yellow. a complex video output. There are also controls. white or brown, but this depends on the manufacturer. Red, black and yellow are generally followed by all camera manufacturers. To check, connect it to the TV through an ordinary “tulip”. it should show.
Connecting two car cameras to the monitor
The principle of operation is such that when the reverse gear is turned on, voltage is applied to the coil, the rear camera turns on, the power contacts of the front camera are open. When the rear camera is turned off, the relay is turned off and through contact 87a plus is fed to the button. Turn on the button. the front camera works.
4-wire rear view camera pinout
Reasons and solutions
Let’s move on to the reasons why the rear view camera does not work. All of them can be divided into three groups:
- Problems with power supply, violation of the integrity of wires and contacts. The problem could arise after self-pinout or over time;
- Incorrect installation. The installation location has a great impact on the durability of the gadget. So, if the device is installed inside the passenger compartment, it is less exposed to environmental factors (moisture, dust, frost), but it reacts more strongly to electromagnetic interference from other automotive equipment;
- Mechanical damage to external or internal elements of the device.
Rear view camera does not turn on and does not work: patient is alive?
In this post, we will explain why the rear view camera sometimes does not work in the car. By the way, this is a very capricious gadget! There are many reasons why it can stop functioning, from weather effects to internal problems. We will try to give all the existing explanations, and also, of course, outline ways to solve each problem.
Ready? Then let’s go!
After all, it’s their job!
But, it is better to first try to find the malfunction of an old rear-view camera yourself. It is quite possible that you will be able to solve the problem with your own hands, without cost and strong hassle.
Consider the main types of problems that may arise when handling this car gadget:
- The rear view camera does not show the image automatically (does not start working when reversing);
- The device does not respond at all, does not turn on, there is no signal;
- The picture is cloudy, dirty, foggy;
- The image is mirrored or inverted. a frequent glitch with Chinese devices;
- The rear view camera sends a blue screen (or black, white) to the monitor;
- Noisy picture (blinking or flickering);
- The gadget works, but displays the markup incorrectly.
Next, proceed to the troubleshooting instructions. Stick to our aLGorithms, and you may not have to go to specialists.
- First, let’s look at why the rear view camera doesn’t automatically turn on. That is, yesterday the device worked normally, but today the screen stopped showing.
- Most likely, the gadget has stopped receiving power from the source. As a rule, it is connected to a reversing light. As soon as the automatic transmission turns on the reverse gear, voltage arises, the lamps light up, the camera starts automatically. If the lights are burnt out, the camera may malfunction as well. To eliminate this dependence, the optical device is connected to the reversing lights through a relay with a constant current from the cigarette lighter.
- Another option is that the contacts could come off and the device disconnected from the gearbox sensor. It is necessary to check the regulators, restore contacts, and sometimes even replace the sensor. And yes, do not forget to first check the voltage with a multimeter. it should be 12 volts.
- If the rear view camera does not work, it says “no signal”, the reason may be interference from other electronics in the cabin. Try not to turn on SIMultaneously with our device other devices that operate in the frequency range of 2.2-2.5 GHz (wireless networks);
- If the rear view camera works but is buggy when transferring the image to the monitor, the solution will depend on the type of problem:
- The flashed picture. Sun rays are entering the lens and the image is too bright. This factor, as you understand, cannot be corrected. Unless, look for another parking location;
- Cloudy or foggy image. If the camera stops showing clearly, then dirt, dust, or moisture has entered the eyepiece. The gadget is carefully dismantled, disassembled and cleaned (dried). Use soft rags, brushes, cotton pads. And for the future, you should think about buying protection against dirt and water for the camera;
- Mirror or inverted transmission. Perhaps the gadget was originally installed incorrectly (upside down) or configured. First, try adjusting the settings in the car audio system. To turn off mirroring, you need to deactivate the MIR option, to change the orientation of the picture, adjust the FLP option. Sometimes the physical rotation of the eye 180 degrees helps to solve the problem.
- The camera is showing delayed, blinking, or flickering violently. The most common cause is incorrect installation. Loose fixation will cause the instrument to vibrate when the engine is running. As a result, the image is rippled. Check that the device is securely attached to the car. Another explanation is damage to the integrity of the cables or poor insulation of the contacts. You will have to dismantle and fully check the electronic components of the device.
- When the rear view camera is turned on, a black, white or blue screen appears on the recorder. This is the most unpleasant case, most likely the cause of which is a software failure. The gadget needs new firmware (software). It is advisable to entrust the solution of this problem to the masters of the service center;
- The rear view camera is broken due to mechanical impact. Let’s say you dropped it, hit it, hit it. Alas, the repair of its components, most likely, will cost more than a new device.
- The rear-view camera on the mirror stopped working normally (any manifestations that were not there before). blinks, turns off in the cold, does not turn on or turns on every other time, etc. Poor signal quality may be the culprit. The device will have to be dismantled, carefully disassembled, cleaned the contacts, removed dust from the microcircuit, cleaned the oxidized areas, re-soldered the damaged board elements (if they are detected visually), etc.
So, we have listed why a rear view camera on a radio tape recorder may stop working. Some problems are solved by dismantling the device. Let’s see how to do it correctly:
- Disconnect the power cable;
- Unscrew the nuts securing the device to the car. If necessary, remove the casing or body elements;
- Wipe the outside of the device with a soft cloth, remove traces of rust and dust;
- Disassemble the case carefully;
- Dry the components from moisture;
- Inspect the seals (rubber bands), if necessary, replace them;
- Check the integrity of the internal elements of the device. the board, the cleanliness of the contacts, the presence of oxidized areas. Remove dust with a brush, brush off corrosion;
- Replace damaged sectors by soldering (if you can);
- Assemble the gadget in reverse order and install it on the car.
The device now needs to be re-calibrated and configured. If, after all the manipulations, the rear view camera still turns off, does not work, dazzles or does not transmit a normal picture to the monitor, alas, you will have to contact the specialists. They will perform professional diagnostics and quality repairs, if the latter is possible.
Features of connecting a rear view camera via a video interface. Issue price
How to properly connect the power of the rear view camera in the car
As we promised in the previous article about the types of connection of rear view cameras (using a video interface, adapter, specially designed cable or directly), we offer you tips and sometimes even requirements for connecting the power of the camera in the car, as well as a small, but very detailed video instructions. Let’s conditionally divide the article into several parts:
Connecting the power of the rear view camera in the car.
Connecting the rear view camera power is an important and much more laborious process than it might seem at first glance. Incorrect power supply can lead to damage to the device itself, damage to the wiring of the car, incorrect operation of the camera, or poor or unstable picture quality.
First of all, “” and “-” of all connected devices must come from the same place. This is the axiom and cornerstone of connecting electronics in a car.
Secondly, study the logic of the installed equipment. As a result, the connected camera should not get out of the picture. What does this mean in practice:
Our engineer, whom you all know, told how to properly connect the camera power. We strongly recommend watching. And don’t forget to like under the video and subscribe to our YouTube channel if you haven’t already.
How to troubleshoot and dismantle the device
Every car owner has two ways to repair a rear view camera. The first and the SIMplest one is to send it for repair. You can contact your service center of the manufacturer. If the machine is still under warranty service, then this must be done. Self-repair will void your warranty.
Main board and contacts
But often it will be cheaper and easier to carry out SIMple repairs yourself. If the rear view camera stops working or there is a malfunction, you can try to repair.
The instruction will be given on the example of KIA cars.
- If the rear view camera does not turn on automatically or at all, to remove it, you need to dismantle the entire trim.
- To do this, first remove a small panel in the upper part, under which the bolts are hidden. Remove them to remove the bulk of the skin.
Major problems with the rear view camera
- The camera works every other time
- Black screen instead of picture
- Instead of a picture, a white screen
- Doesn’t work in frost
- Does not turn on
Do-it-yourself car rear-view camera repair and adjustment
Video “Repair and replacement of the rear view camera”
This video shows the disassembly and repair of the device using the example of a regular Kia Sorento camera (by PCAVTO).
What do we have to do?
1) First of all, we try to RESTART the multimedia system using the appropriate button: Reset (pay attention to the photo “number 2”)
2) Next, go to radio mode and turn on the RDS function (This action helped many car owners)
3) Update the firmware version. Please contact your dealer to update
4) We do a factory reset. To do this, go to the menu. and perform the appropriate action.
5) If you notice a cyclical nature in the operation of the rear-view camera, for example, in frost the camera refuses to work, then the matter most likely lies in the poor contacts of the reverse sensor. We warm up the car in a warm box, and clean the contacts of the rear view camera.
Does the rear light come on? Turning on the rear view camera activates the rear light sensor. If, when turning on the reverse, the corresponding lights do not light up, then the camera will also not work. The problem lies in the reverse sensor (6 in the figure) or in its contacts (5 in the figure).
6) Bad contact in mini-ISO. AvtoVAZ multimedia, like any other modern car and radio tape recorders, uses a connection using a mini-ISO connector. The rear view camera is also connected through this connector.
If the multimedia system does not turn on, then first of all pay attention to the fuses.
Installing a car rear view camera
Before starting any work on the car’s electrical system, assess your capabilities and knowledge in the field of electrical engineering.
If you are not sure of a positive result, it is better to seek help from a professional auto electrician or service center.
If you decide to do everything yourself, first of all, disconnect the positive terminal on the car battery to avoid a short circuit and fire the electrical wiring.
All rear view cameras for cars, regardless of the installation location, are connected in the same way.
Power to the rear view camera comes from the reversing light.
I am very often asked how I installed a rear view camera in my car and connected it to my tablet. In order not to write the same thing to each separately, I decided to post all the information right here. At the same time I will tell you about all the subtleties of organizing the correct power supply of the tablet from the vehicle’s on-board network.
The article will be written in relation to the Nexus 7, as it fully supports otg devices and fast charging at the same time (using a Y-otg cable).
So, the firmware from Timur must be installed on the tablet (of all the firmware that I have tried, only it works quite stably and supports fast charging in otg mode).
The first problem I encountered after installing the tablet in the car was the extremely slow charging of the tablet in otg mode. Quite frankly, the tablet was discharging faster than it was charging. For charging, I used this 12 / 5V DC 3A voltage converter from the well-known Chinese site.
I’m not sure about the declared 3A, but it definitely gives the required 1.5A. However, the tablet, which would have been enough and 1.2 A in order for the percentage of charging to grow steadily, did not want to charge into any. I solved the problem like this:
– firstly shortened the cable between the 12/5 converter and the tablet OTG cable to a minimum (yes, I had an intermediate cable).
– secondly, in the settings of the tablet in USB-Host mode, put a tick on Fast Charge.
After these manipulations, the tablet began to charge quickly enough. Charging problems didn’t bother me anymore.
Now about connecting a rear view camera.
The process of installing and connecting a rear view camera is quite trivial. In short. you need to connect “” to the 12V plafond of the reversing lamp, and “-” to put it on the ground. Detailed guides are full on the drive and on YouTube. I will go directly to the connection of the components described above.
So. The camera is installed, the video cable (combined with the signal wire) is pulled to the place where the tablet is installed. Y-OTG cable is connected to the tablet, power is on. The tablet has the EasyCap Viewer application from the Play Market. Device and corresponding video input are selected in EasyCap Viewer settings.
Now we connect the tulip of the video cable to the corresponding socket of the easycap. The easycap USB plug is plugged into the OTG connector. At this point, the tablet will open in full screen EasyCap Viewer. And it will show us a black screen. We turn on the reverse gear. and instead of a black screen you will see the image from the camera. We turn off the reverse gear and again observe the black screen.
At the moment, we have the following: the easycap device is constantly energized from the otg cable. Regardless of the presence of a video signal at the input, EasyCap outputs the video signal to the tablet. The viewer opens as soon as a video signal begins to arrive on the tablet via OTG. In order for the viewer to open only when we engage reverse gear, we need to make sure that the signal from EasyCap goes only when we engage reverse gear. This is where a normally open relay and an additional usb cable come in handy.
We take our usb cable. Cut off the insulation. And we see that there are 4 wires inside: red, black and two others (usually green and white). We need a red wire (5V). We cut it and clean the ends. We put one end on the first contact of a normally open (open) relay, the other on the other contact. We connect our signal wire of the video cable to the control signal terminal. We connect the ground. We put our prepared USB cable between the OTG cable and the easycap USB connector. Now, when we turn on the reverse gear and a voltage of 12V appears on the signal wire of the video cable, the normally open relay will close its contacts, on which we have planted the easycap power wire. As soon as this happens, easycap will signal the tablet, the viewer will recognize the easycap connected to it and will open. Well, since the camera is working at this moment, we will see the image from the camera on the screen.
It should be noted that it is not necessary to use a relay. At the time of connection, I had a voltage regulator KREN 5A (12 / 5V) lying around, so having cut the power cable of the USB cable, I connected the end from the easycap side to the KREN 5A (5V) terminal. And I put the signal wire of the video cable on the KREN input (12V). The result is the same as when using a relay.
I hope, after reading this article, no one will have any questions about how to connect the ZX camera to the tablet.
The standard x pixel resolution suits most ordinary drivers, increasing the image quality for the rear packing camera does not make sense.
There is only one working option for connecting the camera power supply out of four. This can be either a separate mirror or an overhead panel that will be mounted on top of a standard reflector.
Rear view camera connection This is an important aspect. KZV can be installed in the trunk lid, license plate frame or in the rear bumper. Therefore, when connecting the video interface, you need to go to the Factory menu engineering menu and configure the way to activate the CAN bus or Rear wire. To connect a wired video camera, you will need to purchase a TV tuner that looks like a USB flash drive with a plug for video input. Often the rear view camera is connected to the radio tape recorder. you should be extremely careful, as incorrect connection will cause damage. Most experts consider the most convenient way to power the video camera by connecting the power cable to the left rear lamp.
Connecting a rear view camera to a computer
How to connect a rear view camera
At the moment, many auto electronics companies offer the services of their own technical centers for the installation of radio tape recorders, alarms, rear and side view cameras.
Often the cost of such work is quite high, which forces many car owners to install rear-view cameras on the car on their own.
Many people prefer to do this in order not to give large sums to specialists.
One Reply to “Connecting a rear view camera with your own hands to the radio, tablet and navigator”
A cord with a tulip connector leaves the new camera. For such installation, cameras made in an oval body are suitable. Purpose and operation of rear-view cameras The function of this equipment is to facilitate parking a car or reversing. If your radio does not have such a function, it is disabled or does not work correctly, then you will have to use the button to change the image. There is such a connection method when you need to crimp the wires and connect through the appropriate connectors. Therefore, a diode is needed for rectifying and a capacitor to smooth out the ripples, and only after them a plus is supplied to the winding so that the relay closes normally. Having experience in radio electronics, I drew personally tested rear-view camera wiring diagrams, which have already helped a lot of people. You can assemble such a ready-made module.
Consider the installation of a mirror with a built-in camera, as well as diagrams for connecting an external device to a multimedia system monitor. The monitor screen size and resolution quality are suitable for work. The PWM controller sends rectangular positive pulses along the power wires to the lighting fixtures, which helps to detect burnout of the rear lights. As a result, the connected camera should not get out of the picture. Monitoring the health of the lamps does not apply to the cigarette lighter. so we take a clean plus from it, and a relay is needed to control this plus.
Features of choosing a rear view camera with aliexpress
Rear view camera connection on Opel Astra J
The disadvantage of this method is the noise, which often prevents the normal transmission of the image. But the interior lighting also has lamp monitoring! It can even be a regular Android tablet.
The standard x-pixel resolution suits most ordinary drivers, increasing the image quality for the rear packing video camera does not make sense. We connect the black one to the battery mass, and the red wire is connected directly to the camera. You just need to connect the coaxial video cable. Firstly, it saves money, since there is no need to buy an additional monitor.
As a spray, you can take a compact nozzle from any suitable car. However, technical progress continues to delight with more and more new achievements. The free connector of the video cable is connected to a special output of the head unit for searching, refer to the instructions of the radio.
How to connect a rear view camera and other additional equipment in a car
Common mistakes when connecting a rear view camera
The cigarette lighter itself takes its brown negative wire from the same bolt on the body.
Diagram of connecting the camera to the display of the car radio. Connecting to the radio tape recorder. In order to display the image on the monitor of the car radio when switching on, the yellow wire must be laid through the passenger compartment and secured with electrical tape. The camera in traffic jams and in heavy traffic has also justified itself as a means that additionally prevents collisions due to an incorrectly selected vehicle distance. walking behind.
There are a great variety of models of rear-view video cameras. Wired camcorders are universal and can be connected to all types of monitors.
The camera is indispensable in conditions of limited visibility or with a small space for maneuvering. On average, the cost of KZV on the market is as follows: 1.
Fault monitoring system lamp
Therefore, a SIMple delay is set to turn off the power of the camera. Installation methods: in the plafond of the standard license plate lighting. After collecting the entire system, carefully insulate the power wires, check that you have not confused anything in the connection system, and check the operability of the devices.
The disadvantage of the method is in possible interference that will not allow you to clearly display the image from the camera. If you did buy a camera with a different signal standard, use a converter. Rear view camera pinout for 3 wires Pinout for the rear view camera for 4 wires Pinout for the rear view camera for 5 wires Pinout for the rear view camera for 6 wires Here is the same kitchen as for 3, 4, 5 wires, the masses are SIMply displayed separately on each line. Signal transmission method.
Rear view camera connection diagram
If you connect the camera to the ZX lamps SIMply through a relay with a clean power supply, then the relay bursts like crazy, and the camera does not turn on because the relay does not supply power! Connecting the camera to the radio tape recorder car radio display Connecting the video camera is possible only to radio tape recorders with a liquid crystal display of at least 3. 4 inches.
Even a few standard systems are equipped with such a useful function as camera washing. Connecting a rear view camera with your own hands requires elementary wiring skills, experience in disassembling several elements of the interior and body. For example, in our assortment for this purpose there are voltage converters for 5.6 and 7.5 V, respectively. We install the camera in the backlight socket and connect the camera power to the reversing light. Now you know everything about the correct connection of the rear view camera.
The standard length of a meter for a video cable, a meter for a power cable may not be enough to connect a camera in your car model. When the rear camera is turned off, the relay is turned off and through contact 87a plus is fed to the button. Stick to these rules and you will get a very useful and stable helper.
How to Install REAR VIEW CAMERA Detailed Instruction
How to fix: removing the camera and repairing it yourself
If the rear view camera constantly or periodically does not work, the repair is carried out as follows:
- Before starting repairs, you must check the voltage supply to the device. After the user has connected the cable, a multimeter is taken and the power of the wire is checked. The red plug of the tester is inserted into the cable itself, and the black plug is connected to its metal part to provide ground. If the connection showed 12 volts of voltage, then the power is supplied to the device, respectively, the camera is further dismantled.
- The power cable is disconnected from the camera.
- With a screwdriver or a wrench, the trim is removed (it all depends on the design features of the car). First, the rear taiLGate trim is removed, then the nuts securing the device are unscrewed. Usually the camera is attached using two self-tapping screws, which are unscrewed with a screwdriver.
- Wipe the camera with a clean, dry cloth. Rust traces on the surface of the device must be removed, oxidation from the power connector is also removed.
- Then the screws are unscrewed, which fix the component parts of the case. These elements are susceptible to oxidation, so you need to be careful when unscrewing them.
- If moisture gets on the body, it is dried.
- In case of wear or damage, the seals are replaced. The devices use two rubber bands (gaskets). One of them is located on the lens of the gadget, the second is at the junction between the plastic elements and the body.
- The internal elements of the device are visually inspected. If swollen capacitors or other damaged elements are visible on the working board, they must be replaced by soldering. Before repairing, clean and remove all traces of debris and dust.
- The camera is assembled in reverse order. To ensure high tightness, it is recommended to treat the joints with silicone.
Reasons why the rear view camera does not work and troubleshooting instructions
Table: why the rear view camera stopped working
How to fix: removing the camera and repairing it yourself
how to fix a factory defect in a rear view camera
Rear view camera setup instructions
clear guide to device repair
Comments and Reviews
Rear view camera setup instructions
According to the instructions, the main task when setting up is adjusting the parking lines, which the camera should show first.
- A standard block of wood is taken. It is desirable that the length of the product is 2 meters, and its width is 2-3 cm.
- The workpiece is placed at a distance of about 1 meter from the center of the rear bumper. It is important that the edges of the wooden beam extend beyond the sides of the vehicle by approximately the same distance.
- Then the driver gets into the cabin and enters the camera settings service menu. In some cars, you will have to perform additional actions, for example, activate and deactivate the side lights.
- The brand of the vehicle is selected.
- After turning on the device, the steering wheel is twisted: first all the way to the right, and then. to the left.
- The “Next” button is pressed, an automatic rectangular contour will appear on the device screen. The buttons are used to move the bar image to the center of the screen. Then the selected action should be confirmed.
In the absence of a wooden block, you can do this:
- You will have to use three points, which are measured from the top edge of the rear bumper. Each of the elements has a step of 10 cm, respectively, the first point is 10 cm, the second is 20 cm, the third is 30 cm.
- From each point, you need to set the camera’s visibility range in 30 cm steps.
- As a result, the first point has a range of 30 cm, the second. 60 cm, and the third. 90 cm.Taking into account this scale, you can correctly calculate the distance to the obstacle.
The channel “Purchased in China” in the video told about what to do if the rear view camera does not work
Table: why the rear view camera stopped working
The camera shows dimly
clear guide to device repair
Vadim Filippov in the video told what to do if the rear view camera does not turn on