Can’t see the monitor through hdmi windows 10
Extending the desktop
For a computer and a TV connected to it via HDMI, you can adjust the frequency and resolution of the screen separately. The settings for AMD (ATI), NVidia, etc. video cards have their own capabilities related to the installation of multiple displays. For example, when using an NVidia GeForce video card, right-click on an empty space on the desktop, and then select the line “NVidia Control Panel”. You can customize your monitors in the “Display” section:
How to enable hdmi on windows 10. Projecting Windows 10 how to connect a second screen
Hello ! We continue to disassemble the Windows 10 operating system! Today you will learn how to set up projection and connect a second screen on Windows 10. For example, you want to connect a TV or a second computer to your computer, or just an additional screen. You can not only connect an additional screen, but also be able to adjust the projection.
To connect the second screen, in the lower right corner of the screen, open the “Notification Center” by clicking on the corresponding icon in the form of a written sheet. In the window that opens, click on the tab. Project. Projection needs to be adjusted only after connecting the second screen.
Further, in the window that opens, you will have a choice of 4 types of projection:
How to connect a second screen
To connect the second screen, at the bottom of the “Projection” window, click on the tab. Connect to a wireless device. Make sure the second device you want to connect is turned on. The device will be automatically searched for. The window should display its name.
How to connect devices:
How to connect Bluetooth:
Open the Action Center window in the lower right corner again. In the window that opens, click on the tab. Bluetooth. After that, the corresponding icon will appear in the taskbar.
Still have questions? Write a comment! Good luck !
Windows 10 projection how to connect a second screen updated: October 12, 2016 by Ilya Zhuravlev
How to output sound to TV via HDMI?
- It is necessary that all the necessary drivers are installed on the video card. You can determine if a driver that supports audio output via HDMI is installed in the “Device Manager”. To open it, you must click “WinPause”, then select “Device Manager”. In the section on audio, gaming and video devices, a device that supports “High Definition Audio” must be indicated. high definition sound:
- Playback devices (right-click on the speaker located near the clock or go to “Control Panel. Sound”) must have an HDMI digital audio device or SIMilar in name.
- When the TV is connected to a computer device, the status will change to “Ready”. Right click on it and select “Set as default”.
- On some TVs, not all HDMI inputs are capable of receiving sound! The port called “HDMI 1” probably knows how to do this. If the sound does not appear automatically, try digging into the TV settings to set the digital audio stream for the HDMI input you are using, not analog (used when connecting tulips).
After that, the problem with the output of sound via HDMI to the TV should be resolved. You just have to restart the programs you are using or completely restart your computer.
What OS do you have installed?
What is important to know about HDMI?
Recently, HDMI data transmission technology has become very popular. Largely due to the fact that with its help it is possible to broadcast a video and audio signal of a sufficiently high quality. This uses only one cable.
There are currently several HDMI standards:
- 1.0 standard (speed up to 10.2 Gbps, support up to 8 audio channels);
- standard 2.0 (data transfer at speeds up to 18 Gbps, as well as support for up to 32 audio channels).
Many companies manufacture HDMI cables. Branded options are often quite expensive. However, many modern TVs have such a cable included.
How to properly connect a laptop to a TV via HDMI?
Immediately, we note that in order to connect everything, you will need to set the desired parameters on the TV and laptop. You will also need the HDMI cable itself. In addition, note that some laptop models only have a DVI connector. Then you will have to acquire a special adapter as well.
The procedure itself for connecting a laptop to a TV via HDMI is quite SIMple. You need to do the following:
- We make sure that there are connectors on both devices.
- We turn off the TV and laptop. This is to protect the ports. If you connect the cable with the devices turned on, then there is a risk of their failure.
- We connect one end of the cable to the HDMI connector on the TV. Typically, modern TV-devices have it on the back or side. In this case, there can be several connectors. Usually they are all signed. HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc. In which of them you connect the cable there is no difference.
- We connect the other end of the cable to the laptop. Now turn on both devices and go to the connection settings.
- We start with the TV. We take in hand the remote control and press the button on it, which is responsible for setting up signal sources. This is often the key “input”, “source” (on LG, Samsung TVs, etc.) or “home” (on some Sony models).
- A menu will appear on the TV screen (its interface is very different depending on the TV and the manufacturer!), Where you need to select the signal source. In our case, HDMI. If you choose the wrong option, the following message will appear on the TV screen: “No signal”. Do not be afraid! Just click on another signal source.
- That’s all. Most likely, everything worked out for you, and you are already watching a movie or playing computer games using a TV monitor, and not a laptop screen.
- If the laptop did not connect to the TV and it was not possible to display the image on its screen, then on the laptop we go to “Start”. Further in the “Control Panel”. Click on the item “Setting the screen resolution”. Next, in the “Screen” line, select the TV screen if it was not automatically recognized. Press the button “Find”. For laptops with Windows 10, go to the system settings in the “Display” section and click on the “Detect” button.
Helpful information! Not all laptop models have an HDMI connector. In this case, some users, using an adapter, connect the device via VGA. This is a fairly old 15-pin connector that became popular back in the 80s of the last century. However, no sound is transmitted through such an interface. Therefore, in addition to the HDMI cable, you will need to connect an additional wire for the audio signal.
Problems when connecting a laptop to a TV via an HDMI cable are far from uncommon. Therefore, we will dwell on this point in detail. we will describe the most common problems and ways to solve them.
- What if you connected everything correctly, but the TV screen does not show the image from the laptop? The first thing we do is sit down at the laptop. Right-click on the desktop. In the menu that appears, select the line “Screen resolution” (for windows 7, 8). Now you need to select “Multiple monitors” in the “Screen” item. Below you will see another option “Multiple screens”. Here we put “Duplicate desktop on the first and second”.
- Why is there no sound on the TV? As we noted above, an HDMI cable carries an audio signal. So weird if the sound continues to come from the laptop and not from the TV device? How to fix it? Go to the notification panel and click on the sound icon. We choose “Playback devices” or “Sound devices”. it all depends on the OS version (Windows 7, 8, 10, etc.). In the list that opens, there should also be a TV to which you “connected” the laptop via HDMI. Click on it with the right mouse button, and then select “Use as default” or “Enable”. It remains only to click “Ok”. The sound should appear.
If, all the same, the TV does not see the laptop through hdmi, then it is worth checking whether you connected the cable itself well to all the connectors. The plug may not be fully seated in the socket. Sometimes it happens that the cord itself is not working properly. But this is very rare.
Sometimes there are conflicts that prevent the laptop from connecting to the TV via hdmi. The main reason is outdated or malfunctioning drivers. For example, video cards. Therefore, if you cannot connect the device to the TV, then update the software for the video adapter.
On a note! Connecting a laptop to an old TV via HDMI is unlikely to work. Mainly due to the lack of an appropriate interface. Therefore, if you have a rather “ancient” TV receiver, then you can connect it to a laptop only through RCA (everyone knows them as “tulips”).
Features of setting up multiple displays
How to connect a computer or laptop to a TV via HDMI?
Many people who have a large plasma or liquid crystal TV at some point think about connecting it to their computer or laptop. The opportunity to watch a movie on a large screen is of great interest to many users. First, let’s get acquainted with the possible ways of connecting these devices, then we will understand the settings of the video card, and at the end we will consider how you can output sound via HDMI. For the SIMplest connection of the above devices, you only need to have an HDMI cable with the same connectors at the ends. Any, even the most inexpensive cable is suitable, but note that if you are going to use 3D mode, the version of the cable must be HDMI 1.4 or higher. Find the HDMI jack on your computer case and on the back of your TV. This is how this socket looks on the back of the TV: And this is an image of the socket on the side wall: But such a socket should be looked for on the back of the computer’s system unit: This socket is located directly on the video card, next to the connector for connecting a DVI or VGA monitor. If a discrete video card is not installed in your system unit, the socket will be located on the motherboard, near the USB ports. With laptops, it is lighter, the HDMI socket in them always looks the same, just in different models it can be located on different sides: In portable computer devices (tablets, netbooks, cameras, etc.) install mini-HDMI connectors, which are three times smaller than a conventional connector, so they need a mini-HDMI cable.
Many modern users have an LCD TV hanging on the wall, which makes it difficult to connect a massive cable to its back surface.
For such cases, cables are provided with the plug at right angles. You can also, if you wish, purchase a special HDMI corner: With this corner you can connect to the TV from the back or from the side. Some adapters even support the ability to adjust the angle and the bend in them is not straight, but in any direction. Before buying, decide in which direction the cable will come out after connecting it through the corner. Please note that different cable models are oriented in different directions.
You will not be able to connect without HDMI connectors (however, if you have a connector for a DVI monitor, you can use a DVI-HDMI adapter).
What about the drivers?
Your system may be running your main monitor through a standard VGA graphics adapter. This is a primitive driver that allows you to render an image on any video card without drivers. He is able to conduct a picture even through damaged video cards. On some computers, these drivers allow you to display the image in a high enough resolution, which is why inexperienced users believe that the driver is installed on the video. In this case, an attempt to connect a second monitor will end in nothing, since the video card SIMply does not use its capabilities through the software.
- Press Win X and select Device Manager. Expand the Video adapters branch and see what it says. The model of your video card or the video integrated into the processor should be listed there. If instead you see something like Standard VGA graphics adapter or Basic video adapter Microsfot, then it’s time for you to install the graphics card drivers.
- If you have a laptop, check the manufacturer’s website and find a driver from the Display category. If you know exactly which video card is installed in the computer, go to the manufacturer’s website and download the latest driver, and then try to reconnect the second monitor.
- In case the driver is installed, you can try to uninstall and reinstall it. Some tricky bug can provoke a problem, so reinstalling the drivers will definitely not be superfluous.
It’s also worth noting here that there are times when the second monitor worked, but after updating the driver, the video suddenly stopped working. The new driver may have a bug that caused the second monitor to disconnect. In this case, roll back the driver to a previous version and see if your problem goes away.
Does your card support multiple monitors?
The mere presence of two or more ports for connection on a video card does not mean that you can actually connect two or more monitors. Check your motherboard user manual to make sure it supports multiple monitors. First of all, this advice is relevant for very old or the cheapest video card plugs.
It happens that a video card supports displaying an image only on two monitors, so nothing happens when a third monitor is connected. I personally ran into this situation when I was trying to connect two monitors to an old laptop. One was identified through an HDMI cable, but the second was no longer identified through the analog video output. In this case, you need to come to terms with the physical limitations of your computer’s video adapter.
How do you connect the monitor?
Check if you are connecting your monitor correctly. If your main screen is connected to the video outputs of a discrete video card, the second monitor must also be connected to the second video output of the video card. Connecting to VGA / DVI / HDMI / DiaplayPort / USB-C on the motherboard will not work in this case, since the motherboard BIOS is configured to work with external graphics. over, your processor may even physically lack a video core, which will completely negate the video outputs on the motherboard. There is no point in trying to connect a monitor to the motherboard.
Check if your pair of monitors is running in some advanced mode. AMD has EyeFinity technology that combines two screens into one large one. In this case, Windows Settings displays one large wide screen instead of two screens. Try disabling all these software stuff, after which the second screen should work.
Is the graphics card / motherboard ok??
Make sure the video output on the motherboard (for computers with integrated graphics) or video card is working. Connect your primary monitor (the one that most likely works and is recognized by the computer) to the port where you are trying to connect another monitor. Connecting a second monitor to another computer can also help determine the hardware malfunction of the computer.
Is the cable ok??
Check for physical damage to your cable. Make sure that the fastening clips of the cable connectors are tightly tightened (this primarily applies to VGA and DVI cables, which in most cases are completed with tightening screws), and the connector itself is fully inserted.
If you do not see any physical damage to the cable, and all clips are securely in place, it is worth trying a different cable. Perhaps the problem is hidden in the bent pins of the connector or other hardware problems invisible to the user’s eye. Often, a thickly different cable solves the problem. When connecting a cable (relevant for DVI and VGA cables), be careful. Always connect in the correct direction, do not rush or use excessive force if the cable resists.
If you are trying to connect your monitor using a USB-C cable, you should make sure that the cable supports video transmission. Not all USB-C cables are created equal. While they all have the same connector, some only support file transfer and charging, while others can carry video or are Thunderbolt compatible. Also your computer must support USB-C signal output.
The computer does not see the second monitor
Working with two or more monitors is very convenient and enjoyable, as you get much more space for your tasks, and in games, monitors can be combined for a more immersive experience.
Connecting a second monitor to a computer is SIMple and quick in 99% of cases. You plug the monitor into a power outlet, and then to the computer via the appropriate cable (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, Thunderbolt, USB-C) in the appropriate slot and Windows automatically detects the additional monitor. After that, in the System parameters options are available for expanding, duplicating or displaying the picture on only one of the monitors. If something went wrong during this procedure and the computer does not see the second monitor (or the third, for example), this instruction will tell you a few points to pay attention to. Perhaps some of the tips will help fix the problem.
Is your monitor turned on?
This may sound like a rather silly question, but it’s worth paying attention to. Many monitors have two switches. a primary power button (usually on the front of the monitor for easy access) and an auxiliary power switch near the power cable. Make sure both of these switches are in the On position. The light indication will help you navigate in this. Almost all monitors are equipped with some kind of LED that indicates the status of the monitor. It should burn. At this stage, it doesn’t matter what color. you must understand that the power is coming in and it is working.
Also pay attention to the monitor‘s power cable. It must be fully inserted into the power slot of the display and there must be no visible damage. If you see flaws or damage on the cable, never try to connect it to the network.!
The computer cannot see the second monitor. how to fix
The reason why your computer refuses to work with the second monitor can be both software and hardware problem, and therefore you will have to try different tips in turn. We recommend starting with the SIMplest tips to help you understand if the second monitor is detected by the system at all. It often happens that Windows sees a second monitor, but it is disabled by software. In this case, enabling it will be enough just to change a few parameters in the settings of your computer.
If connecting the second monitor to the computer did not give any positive results, try SIMply restarting it. After that, move on to the next tips.
- Open Settings. System. Display and click Discover. Windows will try to find all screens connected to it and activate them. This advice is primarily relevant for older screens that do not support automatic detection.
Why Windows 10 does not see the second monitor. ways to fix the problem
Many users connect two monitors to one computer. However, certain problems may arise with the synchronization of these devices. This article will explain why the Windows 10 operating system does not see the second monitor.
Reinstalling the driver on the video adapter
Often the Windows 7 operating system does not see the second monitor due to an outdated video driver. To solve the problem, it is recommended to use the following aLGorithm:
- Go to the official website of the manufacturer of your adapter. For example, Nvidia or AMD.
- Go to the section responsible for downloading the software.
- Select your adapter model from the list provided and the version of the operating system.
- Download the latest driver.
- Install the software following the installer prompts.
- Restart the PC and check if the image appears on the secondary screen.
Note! During the driver update process, the image on the main monitor may disappear for a few seconds. Do not be afraid of this, because the picture will be restored in the near future.
Error installing the driver on the video card
What to do if Windows 10 won’t detect the second screen
The problem due to which the display does not want to turn on can occur regardless of the version of the operating system. There are several ways to eliminate it, which will be discussed below. Each method requires an individual approach and detailed consideration.
Display 2 not active Windows 10 due to VGA issues
Old-style VGA connector, which is now practically not used either on video cards or on motherboards. However, it can also connect two monitors to one computer. If the video card has only VGA connectors, but at the same time these ports are absent on the monitor, then you should use an adapter, for example, from HDMI to VGA.
VGA connector on video adapter
If the picture on an additional monitor connected to the VGA connector cannot be displayed, then the user is recommended to do the following:
- Carefully inspect the port on the cable and on the video card for integrity. If no external damage is detected during inspection, then it is worth first checking the cable on another computer, and then the video card. A SIMilar result indicates problems with the VGA connector, or with the video adapter itself.
- Connect the monitor to the adjacent connector. If there is still no picture on the screen, then the problem is in the video card. In this case, the image should be absent on both displays.
- Look closely at the VGA to HDMI adapter. Sometimes you can cope with the problem of the absence of an image on the secondary screen by moving the adapter. It may be coming off the cable or connector.
Additional Information! Previously, VGA-to-DVI adapters were bundled with Nvidia video cards. Now it will need to be bought separately.
On Windows 10, the monitor is not detected due to problems with the converter
As mentioned above, the convector is an adapter from one connector to another. It is needed in cases where the video card does not have a corresponding port for connecting a monitor.
External view of the adapter from VGA to DVI
If a user who decides to duplicate the signal from the video card to an additional screen using a converter cannot see the picture on this monitor, then, first of all, it is worth checking the adapter for operability. To do this, you need to insert the signal conversion device into another computer, TV or connect to the adjacent connector to make sure there is an image.
If the user is one hundred percent sure that there is no image on the display due to the adapter, then the device should be changed, returned under warranty, etc. Most likely, such a converter is not functional.
What to do if HDMI and DisplayPort problems begin to appear
Almost all modern video cards are equipped with these connectors. These ports are designed to output a digital signal, that is, an image to a monitor. If there is no image on the second display connected to the PC, then the user is advised to do the following:
- Move the HDMI cable to the adjacent connector on the video card. The video adapter has several HDMI ports. Therefore, the cable can be easily rearranged into another connector and check if there is a picture on the screen. Perhaps one of the ports went out, which was the reason for the absence of an image on the monitor.
- Do the same with DisplayPort.
- Disable the use of the connector integrated into the motherboard in BIOS. This circumstance is relevant if there is no picture, both on the first and on the second monitor. It is possible that only integrated graphics are set in the BIOS and the ports of the video card are disabled, not used.
- Inspect HDMI and DisplayPort connectors. If they show chips and scratches, then these ports are most likely inoperative.
Important! If the above manipulations did not lead to a positive result, then it is worth trying another method of solving the problem.
Reasons why the problem occurs
Windows ten may not see another monitor connected to a stationary computer or laptop for the following reasons:
- Incorrect connection. The user can make a mistake when performing the task, for example, by plugging the VGA cable into the port on the motherboard instead of the connector on the video card. The same goes for using the DisplayPort connector.
- Incorrect computer settings. After connecting the additional screen, the user must perform the initial settings. If he does not, then the device will not be identified.
- Problems with the connection interface, connectors. For example, the VGA, DVI or HDMI cables used to connect are damaged, frayed, or inoperable. In this situation, the wires will need to be replaced.
- PC virus infection. As one of the reasons for this problem. If the user is unable to synchronize the PC and the second display with each other, then, first of all, it is recommended to check the computer for malicious software.
- The lack of a driver for the video adapter. Many PC users face this problem. It can be solved in the shortest possible time by downloading the latest driver from the official website of the video card manufacturer and installing it.
Windows 10 desktop appearance
Note! The problem can also be caused by damaged connectors on the video card or its physical condition, for example, overheating.
Configuring Projection Mode for Display Detection
Usually, when a secondary display is connected, this mode can appear and be set in automatic mode. However, in some situations, you should change the image output method according to the following scheme:
- Connect two monitors and turn on the computer.
- Hold down the “WINP” buttons on the keyboard.
- After the previous manipulation, the projection menu will start. There are several options for displaying information: “Computer only”, “Projector only”, “Duplicate” or “Extend”. To use another screen., You must select the item “Expand”, or “Duplicate”.
- Check if a picture appears on the screen.
This method may work if Computer only or Projector only is selected by default in the projection menu. Then, to solve the problem, the user only needs to find the desired option and switch to it.
Important! After making any changes to the projection menu, it may be necessary to restart the desktop or laptop.
If the above methods for solving the error did not lead to a positive result, then you can try reinstalling Windows 10 or find another method yourself.
Thus, the main part of the problems, due to which there is no picture on the second monitor connected to the PC, are related to the video card connectors and adapters. The information provided in this article helps you understand what to do if another display is not detected by Windows 10 HDMI.
If you have a cable with any intermediate adapters, for example, you can use it to connect to a DVI connector. Instead, it is better to try using a regular HDMI cable operating in HDMI-HDMI mode, since the TV / monitor may not accept a cable that implies the ability to connect to multiple ports at the same time. If the replacement does not help, then you will have to look for and eliminate another cause.
Check the HDMI ports on your computer / laptop and TV. Pay attention to these defects:
- Broken and / or rusted, oxidized contacts. If any are found, then the port will have to be replaced completely, because contacts are its most important component;
- Dust or other debris inside. Dust and debris can distort the incoming signal, which will cause inconvenience when playing video and audio content (quiet or no sound, distorted or slow-moving image);
- See how well the port is set up. If, at the slightest physical impact, he begins to loosen, then he will have to be fixed either independently or with the help of workers of specialized services.
Perform the same test on your HDMI cable, pay attention to the following points:
- Broken and / or oxidized contacts. If such defects are found, the cables will have to be replaced;
Please understand that not all cables match all HDMI connectors. The latter are divided into several main types, each of which has its own wire.
Misconfiguration of a multi-screen computer / laptop is also the reason why HDMI connection is ineffective. If no external displays other than a TV are connected to the computer, then this method may not be considered, since problems arise if a monitor or other device is connected to a PC or laptop using HDMI (sometimes other connectors, for example, VGA or DVI).
A step-by-step guide to setting up multiple screens for Windows 7/8 / 8.1 / 10 devices looks like this:
- Right-click an empty area on the desktop. In the menu that appears, you need to select “Screen Resolution” or “Screen Settings”.
Under the picture with the screen on which the number 1 is written, you need to click on the “Find” or “Find” item for the system to detect and connect the TV.
It is worth remembering that HDMI is capable of providing a single-stream connection, that is, correct operation with only one screen, so it is recommended to disable an unnecessary device (in this example, a monitor) or select the display mode “Display desktop 1: 2”. First, you can see how the image will be broadcast to 2 devices at the same time. If you are satisfied with the quality of the broadcast, then you do not need to change anything.
correct TV settings
Some TV models are unable to independently determine the signal source, especially if any other device was connected to the TV via HDMI before. In this case, you will have to re-drive all the settings. The instructions for this case may vary slightly from the TV model, but its standard version looks something like this:
- Connect the laptop to the TV using an HDMI cable, make sure that you connected everything correctly and the contacts do not come off. For persuasiveness, you can additionally tighten special screws, if they are provided for by the design;
- On the TV remote control find any button with one of these names. “Source”, “Input”, “HDMI”. With their help, you will enter the connection source selection menu;
Select the desired HDMI port from the menu (many TVs have two). The required port can be viewed by the number of the connector where you plugged the cable (the number is written above or below the connector). To navigate through the menu items, use either the channel change buttons or the numbers 8 and 2 (depending on the TV model);
For some TVs, the instructions may look slightly different. In the second paragraph, instead of the proposed options, enter the TV menu (a button with a corresponding inscription or logo) and select the HDMI connection option. If the TV has several connectors of this type, then do the rest in accordance with paragraphs 3 and 4.
If this method does not help, use the instructions for the TV (it should say how to connect via HDMI cable to this particular device) or pay attention to other ways to solve the problem.
TV does not see computer via HDMI
HDMI is a popular connector for interfacing various equipment with each other (for example, a computer and a TV). But when connecting, all sorts of difficulties can arise. technical and / or software. Some of them can be solved independently, to eliminate others it may be necessary to hand over the equipment for repair or replace a faulty cable.
update the drivers for the video card
Initially, it is recommended to find out the characteristics of your video card, since some graphics adapters are not able to support the output of an image to two displays at once. You can find out this aspect by looking at the documentation for the video card / computer / laptop or using third-party software.
First, update the drivers for your adapter. You can do it like this:
- Go to “Control Panel”, put “Display” to “Small icons” and find “Device Manager”.
In it, find the “Video adapters” tab and open it. Select one of the installed adapters, if there are several;
Also, the drivers can be downloaded and installed from the Internet, necessarily from the manufacturer’s official website. It is enough to indicate the adapter model there in the appropriate section, download the necessary software file and install it following the instructions.
we clean the computer from viruses
Least of all, problems with the output of a signal from a computer to a TV via HDMI arise due to viruses, but if none of the above helped you and at the same time all cables and ports are working, then the probability of a virus penetration should not be ruled out.
To protect yourself, it is recommended to download, install any free or paid antivirus package and regularly use it to scan your PC for dangerous programs. Let’s consider how to run a PC scan for viruses using Kaspersky Anti-Virus (it is paid, but there is a demo period for 30 days):
- Run the antivirus program and in the main window select the scan icon with the corresponding signature.
Problems with connecting a computer with HDMI to a TV do not occur often, and if they do appear, they can always be solved. Provided that your ports and / or cables are broken, they will have to be replaced, otherwise nothing will be output.