Change Screen Brightness Windows 10
Return brightness using Registry Editor
Note: before starting troubleshooting and editing the registry. set the brightness level to 50%.
- Open the Windows Registry Editor. pressed the Win R keys at the same time and entering the Regedit command in the Run dialog box. (If you are unfamiliar with the registry see How)
- After the Registry Editor opens, press CTRL F (this will open the Search window).
- In the Windows 10 registry search bar, type or copy and paste EnableBrightnes as shown in the picture below:
Be patient and you will see the Found parameter KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2.
- Double-click KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 and Change the value of the DWORD parameter (32 bits) from 1 to 0, and click the “OK” button.
Important: It is necessary to continue the search further, since there will be several keys and in all it is necessary to change the value from 1 to 0 In my case there were more than seven such parameters, some already had the value 0.
- Press F3 to continue searching. (Find next).
Mandatory in all found parameters KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2. you need to change the value from 1 to 0.
- After you have changed the value in all the found registry parameters responsible for brightness, restart your computer.
- After restarting the laptop open “Device Manager” called by right-clicking on the “Start” menu or press the Win X keyboard shortcut and select from the menu. device Manager.
In Device Manager expand Monitors → Generic PnP Monitor and make sure it is enabled.
All! Adjusting screen brightness in Windows 10 works again.
The method described above is suitable for all users with AMD cards. If your laptop has an Intel HD Graphics card, you can also restore laptop brightness.
Windows 10 brightness is not adjustable
Publication: 25 March 2020 Updated: 29 September 2020
Enthusiasts and ordinary users alike can boast of a long experience of working in Windows 10. Despite the years since the first release of Windows 10, owners of some laptop models have encountered an unpleasant feature of Windows 10. This is unregulated screen brightness.
The first thing to do if you cannot adjust the brightness using the system settings or the fn f11 / f12 keys is to check that the installed drivers for your card are up to date and, if necessary, update them. This can usually fix the brightness problems of your laptop, and you can still adjust the brightness according to your preference.
Enable “Generic PnP Monitor
If in Device Manager Generic PnP Monitor is marked as “Device is disabled. (Code 22) “with a 100% chance you will NOT be able to adjust the brightness of your device.
To check the status or turn on the device:
- Right-click the Start menu or press the Win X keyboard shortcut. Find and open Device Manager.
- In the manager, expand the “Monitors” item and make sure that “Generic PnP Monitor” is enabled, otherwise right-click it and select “Enable device”.
All. Check if this fixed your problem.
Restore brightness on Windows 10 laptop with Intel HD Graphics card.
If your laptop has an Intel card, use the following steps to edit the registry:
- Open Registry Editor.
- Go to the registry along the following path:
- Find the “FeatureTestControl” parameter and change its value from f000 to f008.
You can create a reg file with the following content:
To save your time, I have prepared a ready-made.reg file. Download the archive and unpack and run the intel-yrkost.reg file. Click “Yes” in the User Account Control window and again to add the information to the registry.
- restart your computer.
All. problem solved?
Install Microsoft Base Adapter
If you are still unable to get the display brightness working, try installing the Microsoft base driver for your card.
- Open the “Device Manager” find your card, right-click on it and select and in the context menu “Update driver”.
- In the next window, click “Find drivers on this computer”.
- Now click “Select a driver from the list of available drivers on your computer”.
- In the new window, select “Basic adapter (Microsoft)” and click “Next”.
- The driver will be reinstalled.
- Restart your computer and check the brightness of the laptop screen.
All. If you know of other ways to get brightness back, share with us in the comments below.
Using keyboard keys
If you want to change the brightness of the built-in laptop monitor, please study the F1-F12 keys. One of them will have an icon suggesting that the button is responsible for adjusting the brightness (the same “sun”). Usually the combination Fn is used one of the keys of group F.
Using the keys to adjust the brightness
It is impossible to say which button is intended for this in your case, since each manufacturer sets this action to an arbitrary key.
Using the command
You can manage the system using the standard command line or the newer PowerShell utility.
- Using the system search term, locate the PowerShell program and Expand it. Opening PowerShell
- Run the query (Get-WmiObject.Namespace root / WMI.Class WmiMonitorBrightnessMethods).WmiSetBrightness (1, X), where X is the brightness level in percent. If instead of X you write a value of 60, then the brightness is set to 60%. We execute the command (Get-WmiObject.Namespace root / WMI.Class WmiMonitorBrightnessMethods).WmiSetBrightness (1, X)
Many monitors are able to automatically detect the level of lighting in the room and select the optimal brightness level for it. By default, this feature is disabled, as most users DO NOT move their computer from place to place and, accordingly, the lighting level is constant. But if you have to work with the device in different rooms, follow these steps:
- Using the system search term, find the control panel and Expand it. Opening the control panel
- Use the built-in search bar to find the “Power supply” section. We open the section “Power supply”
- Proceed to setting the used scheme. Click on the button “Setting the power scheme”
- A list of settings will expand. Find the “Screen” block, and in it the sub-item “Enable adaptive adjustment”. Set the value to “Enable” and save your changes. Turn on automatic brightness selection
Auto brightness is activated. You can try moving the computer to a different environment or changing the amount of light in your room and make sure that the monitor itself changes the brightness level.
How to change monitor brightness in Windows 10 in different ways
It is very important to choose the correct level of screen brightness, since not only the quality of the displayed picture depends on it, but also the load on the eyes. A screen that is too dark will cause your eyes to get tired quickly while trying to see the image, and an overly bright screen will cause a large amount of Blind rays. Therefore, there are several ways to find the optimal brightness level for your environment.
Using the Quick Access Toolbar
In the lower right corner of the monitor, there are many small icons that provide quick access to various system settings. If you click on the icon in the form of a battery and a plug (it appears only if the computer has a battery, and if the device is powered directly from the mains, it will NOT be there), you can see a rectangle with the sun. It indicates the current brightness level. Clicked on it, you can set a new value.
We set the brightness through the block with the sun
Using the monitor buttons
If you are using an external monitor rather than the built-in laptop screen, look for buttons on the side or back to increase or decrease the brightness. They will be indicated by special icons or inscriptions (usually, this is a sun-shaped icon).
The buttons can be used to adjust the brightness
Perhaps there will be no such buttons, then instead of them there will be a button that opens a menu. Clicked on it, you will see on the screen a list of built-in monitor settings. Use it to change the brightness settings. Navigation through the list and selection of an item is carried out using the “Up” and “Down” buttons, indicated by filled triangles and located next to the “Menu” button.
You can adjust the brightness through the menu
Using map settings
Most of the well-known card manufacturers provide their users with special programs to manage the card settings. You can find out if there is such an application for your card on the official website of the manufacturer.
By changing the map settings, you can set the brightness level of the screen. Let’s take Nvidia applications as an example. In the “Display” block there is a sub-item “Adjusting desktop color settings”, in it you can activate the priority of Nvidia settings over other applications and set the appropriate brightness.
Setting brightness in Nvidia program
With Adobe Gamma
Adobe Gamma is an application from Adobe that allows you to manually calibrate your monitor in detail. By using it, you can change Not only the brightness level, but also the contrast parameters, phosphor chromaticity, gamma and white point. It is worth setting up resorting to such a row only if you want to achieve the best quality of the displayed pictures and are ready to spend time on this.
- Launched the program, select the “Step by Step” option, as it will provide all the setup items in the order you want. Specify the option “Step by Step”
- Specify a name for the created profile. During the next steps you will change a large number of settings, and then, perhaps, try to go through the calibration process again. After that you will be able to select one of the created profiles. It is also recommended to load the factory profile containing the standard settings so that you can return to it at any time. You can download it from the manufacturer’s official website or from the disc that comes with the monitor. Enter the name of the profile
- Monitor calibration starts. Using the keys on the monitor or the system settings described in the previous paragraphs of the article, set the contrast value to 100%, and adjust the brightness so that white remains white and the gray square located in the middle becomes very dark, but not black. Set maximum contrast and adjust brightness
- It is necessary to select the correct type of glow (chromaticity Phosphor). It can only be determined by the information provided in the instructions for the monitor. If you do not have a paper version, find information on the model on the Internet. If you were able to load the factory profile at the second step of the calibration, then select the “Custom” option from the list. If you can find the information you want in the type of glow, and the factory profile is NOT loaded, set it to HDTV. Indicate the type of light used by the monitor
- The gamma value for Windows is 2.2 (select an operating system from the list, and the value will be set automatically). Using the slider under the square, maximize the brightness levels for the background and the square in the middle. Select the operating system and adjust the slider
- Set the white point to a standard value of 6500 for daylight. Set the value to 6500
- Confirm that the white point has been selected as the hardware value. Specify the option “Hardware value”
- The program will offer you two options: before and after the change. By choosing “before”, you will see how the picture looked on the screen when making changes. If you like the result, check the box next to “After changes” and save the changes. Indicate whether changes are worth applying
All of the methods below show how to change the brightness through the Windows system settings. First of all, you should use the standard “Parameters” application:
- Right click on the Start icon, select Settings. Open computer settings
- Expand the “System” block. Open the “System” section
- Do not go from the first sub-item “Screen”, race the brightness slider to the desired value, and then apply the changes. Override slider to change brightness
Windows 10 changes brightness on laptop
After upgrading to Windows 10 on laptops, there may be an issue with automatic brightness changes. The brightness of your windows 10 laptop screen changes automatically to low and this may irritate you. If you encounter this issue, chances are you’ve already tried correcting your power plan and changing the adaptive brightness value. (If so, go straight to the end of the page to the Replace driver section), if not, then start from point # 1.
Adjusting the brightness of the monitor with hardware buttons
If you have a stationary computer, then you can adjust the brightness of the display using the hardware keys on the monitor itself. This adjustment is independent of the installed OS. Therefore, the adjustment can be made on a PC with all types of OS.
To adjust the monitor backlight, you need to go to the monitor menu and find the item responsible for the brightness. There are a lot of monitor manufacturers, so the hardware setting of the backlight is individual for each.
You can find all the information about the hardware setup in the manual, which comes with the monitor. You can also find the necessary manual on the website of the monitor manufacturer and download it in PDF format.
In this article, we looked at adjusting the brightness of the display using standard Windows tools and using drivers. In addition to THESE methods, there are ways to adjust the brightness using third-party utilities. The most popular of these utilities is F.lux. Do not forget about the software of manufacturers of laptops and all-in-ones, which also knows how to adjust the display backlight.
Based on the above material and our advice, we hope that you can easily customize the lighting of your PC.
How to change the screen resolution in Windows 10?
Resolution is the number of dots (or rather, their number) of the image in the horizontal position and vertical. Higher resolutions make the picture look smaller. To avoid “defects” of the image itself, you must set the resolution, which is equal to the screen resolution (this parameter can be found in the technical passport of the computer / laptop)
Another way to fix brightness problem in Windows 10:
- Press the Win R keys and write regedit in the window that opens
- In the registry, press F3 and copy the FeatureTestControl term there and select “Find Next”
- On the first found item, press the right mouse button and select “Edit”
- Change the value to “ffff”
- Then you need to save the value and restart the computer
(1 ratings, average: 5.00 out of 5).
Adjusting the screen brightness on a Windows XP PC
Windows XP, even now, remains a very popular OS, as evidenced by the millions of PCs that run it. To change the brightness on a laptop, you must use the hotkeys. Without specialized utilities, which are produced by laptop manufacturers, hotkeys will not work. For example, to use hotkeys on a Samsung NC10 netbook, you need to install the Samsung Easy Display Manager program.
Also, the brightness in this laptop can be changed by software, but for this you need the Samsung Battary Manager program. In the block of this program “Lcd Brightness Level” you can decrease or increase the backlight range.
All utilities for controlling hotkeys and backlighting are located on the disk, which comes with the laptop. You can also download them on the laptop manufacturer’s website. Here is a list of utilities used by laptop manufacturers to activate hotkeys:
- Acer. Launch Manager;
- Asus. ATK Hotkey;
- Lenovo. Hotkey driver;
- Hewlett Packard. HP HotKey;
- Dell. Dell QuickSet.
After installing THESE utilities, you will be able to adjust the laptop backlight using the key combination Fn → and Fn ←.
Another way to make the backlight brighter or dimmer on a PC running Windows XP is to adjust the brightness using the driver panel. For example, to adjust the brightness on a Samsung R60 laptop running Windows XP, you need to go to the ATI Radeon Xpress X1200 card driver panel.
Then you need to go to the “Color” menu.
After that, in the “Brightness” block, using the slider, you can make the backlight brighter or dimmer.
on this topic. Method 2. how to change using the control panel:
- The old, or one might say, more familiar interface also allows you to change the monitor interface. First step: go to the menu in the control panel and look for “Screen”. If you find it difficult to find, search through the search line.
- The list on the left gives several items. we need “Screen Resolution Settings”. Enter the required data.
- Click the “Apply” button. And just like in the previous method, the settings can be canceled and saved.
Resolution is not that difficult. But what if the screen brightness is not high enough for work? This raises the next question: “How to increase the brightness?” After all, with such a function, some difficulties arise. this is a flaw of Windows.
Changing the screen brightness on OS 10 is identical to Windows 8. To do this, open the power panel using the Win X key combination. Or you can simply press the “Start” button, after the item “Power management”. In the panel that opens, select the slider that controls the “Screen brightness”. Now you can adjust the backlight for yourself, move the slider.
Some laptops on the tenth operating system allow increasing and decreasing the brightness and clarity of the display by pressing the following keys: Fn or Fn
Why Windows 10 doesn’t adjust the brightness of the screen
After upgrading to Windows 10, you may encounter the problem that the screen brightness cannot be adjusted. The laptop does not respond to the brightness keys.
How to remove auto brightness on a laptop, solving a problem
It happens that on laptops with Windows 10 the screen brightness changes spontaneously. It may be useful for someone, but it annoys me terribly. over, the logic of this action is very strange: with the predominance of white, the brightness increases, and if there is a lot of black, it decreases, some kind of delirium.
Turn off adaptive brightness in Windows 10
You need to open the power supply settings, for this we right-click on the “Start” menu and select “Power Management”
Opposite the current scheme, click “Setting the power supply scheme”
And then go to “Change additional power settings”
Next, expanding the “Screen” subsection and in the “Enable adaptive brightness control” item, put the switches in the “Off” position for mains and battery power:
Also, the brightness can change itself when connected to the mains or when powered by a battery and decrease the charge to the indicated level. The screenshot shows that the value is set in the reduced brightness mode. 50%. We put 100% everywhere.
Intel cards problem
If your laptop has an integrated Intel 4000/530 adapter or another, and the first method did not help, then we do the following. Right-click on the desktop and select “Graphic characteristics”
The Intel HD Graphics Driver Control Panel will open. If there is such a comment, then in the search bar of the Start menu we write “intel” and in the results select “Graphics and Media Intel (R)”.
In the driver panel, select “Power supply”:
Next, I turn off the energy-saving technology of displays, set it to maximum quality:
The second option is to turn off “Extended battery life for gaming applications.” Surprisingly, floating brightness on the desktop can be affected.
If all else fails
If you do not play 3D games, then you can go to the extreme measure. change the card driver to the one built into Windows. The method is NOT suitable only for Intel.
Open the Device Manager (right-click on the Start menu), the “adapters” item. Here you will have Intel, AMD or whatever. Right-click on the adapter and “Update drivers.”
In the window that appears, click “Search for drivers on this computer”, then “Select a driver from the list of already installed drivers”
In the list, select “Microsoft Basic Adapter”
The screen may flicker while changing the driver. The laptop does not automatically reboot, but it is better to do it manually. In such a simple way, we disconnected all the “chips” from the manufacturer, but also lost the technological advantages. In fact, now the map can only draw the desktop and.
To return everything back, you need to do the same thing, but select the old driver at the last step. Or recover to a system restore point.
Screen brightness does not change on a Windows 10 laptop
Some users complain that after a clean installation, updating to Windows 10 from a previous version of the OS, or installing a new build of Windows 10 on laptops, the screen brightness control stops working. When you try to increase or decrease the brightness of the dedicated keys or a combination of FnF11 / F12 / other (depending on the laptop model), nothing happens. All other combinations and function keys work correctly.
In most cases, the problem with adjusting brightness in Windows 10 is related to the monitor and card drivers (most often the problem occurs on devices with Intel Graphics and AMD Radeon cards). However, there are other reasons as well. Let’s take a look at a few easy ways to fix the problem with the inability to change the brightness on a laptop with Windows 10.
- Monitor brightness is NOT adjusted after updating to Windows October 1803
- Disabled Generic Pnp Monitor
- Update adapter driver
- Screen Backlight and KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 Registry Option
- Brightness control does not work after installing TeamViewer
- Fn brightness keys not working on laptop
- Not dimmed on a laptop with an Intel card
- Switch to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver
Brightness control does not work after installing TeamViewer
Some users have encountered the brightness control in Windows 10 not working after installing the TeamViewer remote control software. The fact is that during installation TeamViewer adds its own display driver Pnp-Montor Standard to the system, which is used to compress graphics and optimize traffic.
Try replacing the driver for this device with “Generic PnP Monitor” (RMB. Update drivers. Select from the list of already installed drivers).
Disabled Generic Pnp Monitor
If your system does not have the ability to adjust the brightness in the notification panel and in the display settings, please check if your hardware device has Generic PnP Monitor (PnP) disabled. This is the most common problem on Lenovo and HP Pavilion laptops.
Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and under Monitors check that the Generic Pnp Monitor is enabled. If it is not, Right click on it and enable it (Enable).
Restart your computer and check the brightness adjustment.
Fn brightness keys do not work on laptop
If you find that the brightness control in Windows 10 settings works fine, but the function keys (Fn) for brightness control on the laptop keyboard do not work, most likely you need to install additional software from the laptop manufacturer.
Each manufacturer names the utilities differently. Please note that you only need to download laptop utilities from the official website of the manufacturer, or from the installation CD / DVD that was supplied with the device. Below are the names of the utilities for popular laptop models:
- ASUS. ATK Hotkey Utility
- Sony Vaio. Sony Notebook Utilities
- Dell. QuickSet
- HP. HP Software Framework and / or HP Hotkey Support
- Lenovo. Hotkey Features Integration for Windows 10 or AIO Hotkey Utility Driver
Not dimmed on a laptop with an Intel card
If your Windows 10 laptop has an Intel HD Graphics card installed, you can try to fix the display brightness issue like this:
- Open the registry editor regedit.exe.
- Navigate to the following registry key: HKLM \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Class \ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 \ 0000.
- Change the FeatureTestControl parameter value from f000 to f008.
- restart laptop.
Or use the following reg file:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Class \ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 \ 0000]
“FeatureTestControl” = dword: 0000ffff
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Class \ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 \ 0001]
“FeatureTestControl” = dword: 0000ffff
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Class \ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 \ 0002]
“FeatureTestControl” = dword: 0000ffff
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Services \ intelkmd]
“FeatureTestControl” = dword: 0000ffff
Update adapter driver
The brightness issue may be related to the current adapter driver. First of all, check that your card is enabled in the device manager (by analogy with the method above).
If the previous method did not help, try to automatically update the adapter driver (unless, of course, you have disabled automatic driver updates).
In the device manager (the same devmgmt.msc console) Expand the Display adapters section, find your card, Right-click on it and select Update Driver Software. Then we select the Search automatically for updated driver software option and wait until Windows 10 finds and installs the latest driver (of course, there must be an Internet connection).
If automatic driver updates did not fix the problem with the brightness control not working in Windows 10, try uninstalling the current driver and installing the latest driver from the manufacturer’s website.
If it doesn’t help, go to the next method
Monitor brightness is NOT adjusted after updating to Windows October 1803
Some users are faced with the fact that after installing the latest Windows Update October 1803 (April Update) on many laptop models, the monitor brightness has ceased to be adjusted. The brightness is turned on at full at any position of the brightness slider in the settings. The brightness cannot be changed using the keyboard function keys.
In almost 100% of cases, a rollback to Windows 10 version 1709 helps to solve the problem with the display brightness. But, of course, this does not come out. There are simpler solutions for Windows October 1803.
First of all, check if you have enabled the “Very bright” tile in the notification bar, perhaps you cannot reduce the brightness because of it.
If the dimming issue occurred immediately after upgrading to Windows Media 10 1803, install the latest cumulative update KB4284835 (OS Build 17134.112) dated June 12, 2018. According to information from Microsoft, it fixes an issue with brightness control on laptops running Windows October 1803:
Check the display brightness settings on the Control Panel: Control Panel. Power Options. in the properties of the selected power plan, click on Change advanced power settings. Change advanced power settings. Expand Display Section.
In the Enable adaptive brightness item, you need to disable adaptive brightness for mains and battery mode.
Also try changing the settings in the points:
- Display brightness
Screen Backlight and KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 Registry Option
The following technique involves editing the registry:
- Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
- Go to branch
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Class \ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 \ 0000.
- Find DWORD parameter KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 change its value from 1 to 0.
- Because There can be several KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface2 parameters in the registry, you need to open the search window (F3) and find all other parameters named KMD_EnableBrightnessInterface in the registry. For all found keys, you need to change the value from 1 to 0.
- restart your computer.
Switch to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver
The last thing to try if all the listed methods did not help is to use the standard Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver for the card.
- To do this, select the card in the Device Manager equipment console, Right-click on it and select Update Driver Software from the menu
- Select Browse my computer for driver software-Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer
- Select Microsoft Basic Display Adapter from the list of drivers and click Next
- The system should replace the current driver
- Reboot and test the laptop screen brightness adjustment keys