Connect two monitors to computer 7
Connecting in Windows 7
Most modern video cards have two outputs: HDMI and standard VGA. There may be variations: two VGA outputs or one DVI and the second VGA, in general. this is not so important, the main thing is that the outputs from the monitors are suitable for them. If they don’t fit, it doesn’t matter. In China, they make a huge number of different (by the way, quite high-quality) adapters that allow you to create the video interface you need for just a couple of dollars.
- Disconnect your computer.
- Connect the equipment to the appropriate connectors on the video card. Use adapters or splitters if needed.
- Start the devices.
- After starting the operating system, select the “screen resolution” with the mouse on the desktop.
- After that, a tab opens, which you can see in the following screenshot.
- Usually, the connected equipment is detected automatically. If this did not happen, then click the “Find” button.
- After this procedure, two screens appear and in the “screen” tab. the second monitor.
- Now go to the “Multiple Screens” option. If you need to duplicate your desktop, then select the Duplicate Screens tab. If you need two monitors to be able to display different information, you should select “Expand screens”.
- The last step is to select the appropriate resolution.
- After selecting, click “Apply” and feel free to use this useful option, dragging the image from one screen to another if necessary. Now you know how to connect 2 monitors on Windows 7.
Why connect two monitors to one system unit?
Imagine that you are a copywriter and you are filling a large news portal with news. As a rule, all text operations are done initially in the good old World, and only then they are only transferred to the “admin panel” of the site. At the same time, you need to track the receipt of comments or thematic issues from subscribers, or monitor the actions of direct competitors on the Internet. Switching from a text editor to browser windows and back while typing text is, to put it mildly, not very convenient, so they connect a second monitor to the same video card, if the connectors allow it. One opens a browser, the other opens a text editor.
It may not have been the best example, but many freelancers actually use it. Gamers are another large group of people who ask how to connect two monitors to one PC, so that the two can arrange races through the city streets or other group competitions.
And do not forget about programmers, office and bank workers, stock brokers or engineers: for all these people, working with two monitors saves a lot of time.
There are hundreds of such examples. Now it’s time to move from theory to practice and step by step tell how to connect a second monitor to a computer.
How to connect two monitors to one system unit
Probably everyone has seen that when performing some types of work, two monitors are connected to one computer. How to do this and, most importantly, why, and will be the topic of our publication.
Connection in Windows XP
Connection in XP follows the same algorithm as in Windows 7
- Connect the equipment with a cable to the corresponding sockets of the video card.
- Turn on equipment.
- Click the manipulator on the desktop field, select the “Properties” tab, and then select the “parameters”.
- In order to find out which screen will be the main one, click “Definition”.
- Select the main screen and check the corresponding box.
- Select another screen and check the box “extend the desktop”.
- Then click “Apply” and “OK”.
© 1999-2021 System Technologies
Chelyabinsk, Kyshtym, 7A
7 (351) 799-59-03
What can be used as a second monitor
Experienced experts recommend using the following equipment when solving this issue:
- the same monitor HD, Full HD, 2K, 4K, 8K. You can duplicate the picture on a second screen, which will not differ from the main one in terms of technical characteristics;
- TV set. It is used when the scale of the transmitted image is important to the user. The TV also has connectors that can be used to connect it to a stationary computer or laptop;
- laptop, netbook. A laptop can be used as a secondary screen. In this case, the role of such a screen will be played by its main display;
- interactive whiteboard. This is a device that receives a picture from a computer using a projector. In this case, all actions performed on the PC are duplicated on the board. This equipment is often used for conferences.
How to connect an additional monitor
Regardless of the version of the operating system, the connection of the second monitor to the Windows 7 computer is carried out according to the algorithm:
- Take the HDMI wire. If necessary, change to DVI, since these are different wires.
- Plug one end of the cable into the external HDMI connector on the video card, and the other into the same connector on the monitor. As a rule, modern video adapters and monitors are equipped with multiple HDMI ports, which allows you to connect multiple displays to one PC at the same time. On a laptop, these connectors are also present on the side panel.
- Do the same operation with the second monitor and turn on the device by pressing the power button.
- Connection can also be made using DVI or VGA wires, if the video card and monitors have these ports. After that, shutting down the PC is not required.
How to connect the monitor to the video card
Note! DVI and VGA are old-style ports, now they are practically not used either on monitors, or on video cards, or on motherboards. modern platforms refuse to see them, and there is no point in making special ones.
How to make 2 screens on Windows 7. step by step instructions
In some situations, PC users need to create a second screen on the operating system. Sometimes it is necessary for work, for games and other things. How to do this correctly is described in this article, and also provides an answer to the question of how to disable the second monitor in Windows 7 when you no longer need it.
How to set up two monitors on Windows 7
After connecting an additional display on a Windows seven computer, you need to take certain steps to configure these devices. To do this, you can use a step-by-step algorithm:
- Turn on the PC and wait for the final loading of the operating system.
- On the keyboard, simultaneously hold down the “Win P” buttons.
- After completing the previous manipulations, a small window will open with a choice of further action. Here you can duplicate the monitor, expand the space or turn off one of the screens.
- Select the appropriate option and click on it with the left key of the manipulator.
- Wait for the changes to take effect. You don’t need to turn off your PC.
Note! Duplication is the display of the same image on two displays at the same time. By choosing this option, the user will see the same picture on two monitors at once. All actions performed on the desktop will be duplicated on two devices.
If you select the “Expand” option, the picture will also be displayed on both displays, but at the same time, different actions can be performed on each of them.
The “Computer only” option is for laptops. It blocks the operation of the device connected to the video card. Projector only mode is also used on laptops. It allows you to turn off the main laptop screen and display the image only on an additional, connected monitor.
Windows 7 Dual Screen Configuration Window
Important! The last option is intended for the use of special devices with the help of which the image from the PC is displayed on a large screen.
How to make a double screen on Windows 7
The process of completing the task is divided into several stages, each of which is considered separately.
Why would a user need to create a second monitor
This circumstance has several common reasons:
- expanding desktop space. If one small monitor is connected to the computer, then all the information on it will not fit without changing the resolution;
- when playing video games. The presence of an additional screen has a positive effect on the gameplay during the passage of computer shooters;
- to perform multiple tasks at the same time. On one monitor, you can, for example, work, while on the other you can watch videos on the Internet, play games, etc. You do not need to buy another PC for this.
Windows 7 is the second most popular OS after a dozen
How to connect a TV to a computer
The procedure for the implementation of the task is divided into the following stages:
- In the same way, install the HDMI cable into the corresponding connectors on the PC video card and TV, establishing a connection between these devices.
- Disconnect all external devices from TV and PC. We are talking about USB sticks, mouse and keyboard. It is also recommended to turn off the speakers. You can uninstall incompatible programs if you have problems with synchronization.
- Turn on the TV. Then the user will have to go with the remote control to the section, which displays all connected devices.
- In the menu that appears, select “HDMI Connection”.
- Configure the mode of operation of the equipment with a PC.
Important! During the operation of two monitors from one computer, the wires should not be disconnected from the connectors, otherwise the signal will disappear, and it will be impossible to understand how to make 2 screens on Windows 7.
Two monitors on one Windows 7 computer will satisfy most of the needs of the average user. The above information will help anyone figure out how to split the screen into two parts of Windows 7, as well as how to set up hardware in a matter of minutes.
Stage 1: Preparation
Both software and hardware should be checked and prepared before proceeding. Let’s start with the last one.
- First of all, make sure that your computer has two connectors to which you can connect monitors. in most cases they are located on the video card. These outputs include VGA, DVI, HDMI, Display Port.
Stage 2: Connection and configuration
After completing all the preparatory steps, you can go directly to the connection of both displays.
- Connect the devices to the appropriate connectors and turn on both.
- Now let’s move on to setting up. Move the cursor over an empty space of the “Desktop” and press the right mouse button. Next, in the context menu, select “Screen resolution”.
The configuration utility will open. both devices must be displayed in it to display the image.
If only one monitor is checked there, refer to the appropriate section of this article.
Each screen is configured separately. select the one you need with a single click on the left mouse button, and then specify the parameters you need using the drop-down menus below.
After making all the changes, click “Apply” and “OK”.
The secondary display will now work with the options you selected.
Windows 7 does not see the second monitor
Sometimes it happens that the OS does not recognize the second device for displaying the picture. In such a situation, proceed according to the following algorithm:
- Check the quality of the connection between the display and video connectors. it may be broken. When using adapters, make sure the devices are known to be functional. It is also important to ensure that they are connected to the same video card.
- If the display is unambiguously working and the connection should function normally, go to the resolution settings and use the “Find” button. perhaps the OS could not take the device into operation on its own.
In the same window, make sure that the “Show desktop only on” option is not set in the “Multiple screens” line.
Check the “Device Manager”: open the “Run” tool, enter the request devmgmt.msc in it and click “OK”.
In the snap-in, expand the “Monitors” category. both displays should appear there. If there is an error in the icon of one of them, select the problematic position, right-click and select “Delete”.
Then use the items “Action”. “Update hardware configuration”.
Check the driver version for your video card again and install the latest available one (see Step 3 of Step 1). If, on the contrary, the screen stopped working after the update, the software should be rolled back.
Read more: Rolling back NVIDIA and AMD drivers
These steps should help you troubleshoot second monitor recognition issues.