Connecting Monitor to Laptop HDMI HDMI
You can change the way of displaying the image not only at the first start-up, but also during operation. To change the display mode on laptops, there is a button with the corresponding icons. a monitor and a laptop. Most often it is F10.
By default, when the monitor is connected, the duplicate mode or “Repeat” is used: the display shows the same image as on the laptop. To expand the workspace or display a general image on a laptop and a monitor, just press the F10 (or Windows P) key at the same time, and then select the “Expand” option in the menu on the right.
You can make more detailed settings in the “Screen Settings”.
To access the section, right-click on an empty space on the desktop. Display settings allow you to:
- change the current brightness settings;
- zoom in or out;
- select the optimal parameters for displaying text;
- change the orientation of the picture.
In addition, you can set certain parameters for individual programs in the subsection “Graphics settings”.
Step-by-step guide to connecting a monitor to a laptop using an HDMI cable.
A laptop is a portable computer that is suitable for office and home tasks. The small screen of the device limits the working space, which affects the comfort level when working with various applications. This problem is solved by connecting the monitor to a laptop. The easiest way to do this is through the HDMI interface, which is available on almost all computer displays and popular laptop models.
- fast data transfer rate;
- high resolution of the broadcast image;
- support for parallel transmission of graphics and audio;
- preservation of quality when displaying content from a laptop to a monitor screen.
How to connect a monitor: a step by step guide
For enhanced capabilities for broadcasting content, work and gaming, it is advisable to choose a monitor with HDMI and speakers.
There are 5 steps to connect the monitor.
Switching on the device in any order
It is important to wait for the operating system to load on the laptop. There is no need to take any action during power-up, as this may result in settings failure and connection disruption.
Preparing the device for use
At the last stage, it is advisable to select the optimal operating parameters for solving urgent problems.
Selecting the monitor operation mode
The connected monitor can become a double-screen (the “Repeating” item in the options), an additional screen space (“Expand”) or the main screen (“Second screen only”).
In the first two cases, the data will be displayed on both displays, and in the third. only on the connected monitor.
Disconnect laptop and display
This is a precautionary measure. It helps to avoid damage to hardware in the event of mistakes made during connection setup.
Finding a suitable cable and connecting to devices
To do this, find the appropriate connectors on the monitor and laptop case. They are located on the back of the display and on the side of the laptop.
It is important that the cable length is sufficient for comfortable operation.
Remark! You can find out about all the most common interfaces in this article: https://pcpro100.info/popular-interface/
Despite the abundance of interfaces, the most popular and demanded today are: HDMI, VGA, DVI. On modern laptops, usually there is an HDMI port on a mandatory basis, and sometimes a VGA port (example in Fig. 1).
The most popular interface is present on all modern technology (monitors, laptops, TVs, etc.). If you have an HDMI port on the monitor and laptop, then the whole connection process should go without a hitch.
By the way, there are three kinds of HDMI form factors: Standard, Mini and Micro. On laptops, usually, there is always a standard connector, as in fig. 2. However, pay attention to this in the same way (fig. 3).
Many users call this connector differently, who is VGA and who is D-Sub (and, moreover, manufacturers do not sin this either).
Many people say that the VGA interface is living out its term (maybe it is), but despite this, there are still quite a lot of equipment supporting VGA. This means that he will live for another 5-10 years :).
By the way, this interface is found on most monitors (even the newest ones), and on many laptop models. Manufacturers, behind the scenes, still support this popular standard.
On sale today you can find many adapters associated with the VGA port: VGA-DVI, VGA-HDMI, etc.
Quite a popular interface. I should immediately note that it is not found on modern laptops, it is on PC (it is also on most monitors).
DVI has several varieties:
- DVI-A. used to transmit only an analog signal;
- DVI-I. for analog and digital signal transmission. The most popular type on monitors;
- DVI-D. for digital signal transmission.
Important! The dimensions of the connectors, their configuration are compatible with each other, the difference exists only in the contacts involved. By the way, pay attention, next to the port, usually, it is always indicated what type of DVI your equipment has.
Why connect two monitors?
Interesting! If the expansion mode is set when connecting two monitors, the working area will increase.
First, it is useful for a designer or artist. Detail is critical when working with CGI, and expanding the working area increases your view and allows you to improve the detail of objects.
Secondly, the benefit of two monitors will be immediately noticed by a person whose work is related to the use of graphs and diagrams. Two monitors will allow you to keep in sight several windows with graphs and diagrams without having to switch between them each time. And it is very convenient.
Thirdly, two monitors are the dream of many gamers. And the point here is not only that the picture stretched across two monitors looks more colorful, but also that increased visibility can give you a number of gaming advantages. For example, the photo below shows a game in Sid Meier’s Civilization V on two monitors. The extended visibility zone allows you to quickly get information about the state of your cities and predict the enemy’s strategy by observing the movement of his units. You will not need to waste time moving the cursor around the map, which will give you the opportunity to use the saved time to think over your move (this is especially true for a multiplayer game). And this is just one of many examples.
Fourthly, the presence of two monitors will benefit programmers of all directions. For example, if you’ve dealt with web programming, you probably know that one page can be displayed differently on different browsers. With two monitors, one can hold the code editor open, and the other can hold browser windows. Thus, you can immediately observe the results of your work, without constantly switching between many windows.
In addition to the expansion mode, there is also a duplicate mode, which does not expand the image, but repeats it on all monitors. This can be useful for office work, when all employees need to display the same information on the screen (you can connect as many monitors as you like to one computer, not just two). This will save you money on buying other computers and time for connecting them via the local network.
Now that we figured out the benefits of multiple monitors, it’s time to figure out how to connect them.
This interface is the most modern of all of the above. It has many advantages even over HDMI. For example, it can be used to connect multiple monitors up to 4K resolution.
Connecting the monitor via HDMI to a laptop (computer)
In principle, connecting the monitor to a laptop or desktop computer, you will not see much difference. Everywhere the same principle of action, the same actions.
By the way, we will assume that you have already chosen the cable for connection (see the article above).
By the way, many neglect this action, but in vain. Despite this seemingly trivial advice, it can save your equipment from damage. For example, I came across several times with cases when the laptop video card failed due to the fact that they tried to “hot”, without turning off the laptop and TV, to connect them with an HDMI cable. Apparently, in some cases the residual electricity “hit” and disabled the iron. Although, an ordinary monitor and a TV set are still slightly different equipment :). But still…
2) Connect the cable to HDMI ports of laptop, monitor.
Further, everything is simple. you need to connect the ports of the monitor and laptop with a cable. If the cable was chosen correctly (if necessary, use adapters, then problems should not arise.
When everything is connected, turn on the laptop and monitor and wait for Windows to load. Usually, by default, the same picture appears on the connected additional monitor as is displayed on your main screen (see Fig. 10). At least, this is the case even on new Intel HD cards (on Nvidia, AMD. the picture is the same, you almost never have to go into driver settings). The picture on the second monitor can be corrected, more about this in the article below
The above display modes work with a single image, duplicating it or stretching it across monitors. And if you need to make sure that different images are displayed on different monitors, then using standard system methods you will not be able to implement this.
However, such a task becomes feasible after purchasing a special Matrox DualHead2Go device. Its main function is to transfer several workflows and distribute their display among monitors. Thus, you can not only make yourself two different desktops and work with them, but also, for example, watch two different videos at the same time.
The connection process for this device is the same as for the splitter, which we discussed earlier in the article. You just need to connect the plug to the corresponding connector of the monitor and computer.
Now that you know how to connect two or more monitors to one computer, it can make it easier for you to work at your PC. The whole process is simple, but many users often face difficulties at the connection stage. Therefore, it is to him that you need to approach with special care.
When you figured out the connection principle and types of connectors, it’s time to move on to setting up.
The operating system, after connecting two monitors, configures them automatically and immediately starts transmitting an image to each of them. However, everything may not be displayed the way you want. for example, monitors may have different resolutions. To fix this and other related issues, do the following:
- Open the Start Menu, then go to Control Panel.
You can also customize the display modes mentioned at the beginning of the article. The main modes are Duplicate and Extend. When duplicating, the same image is transmitted to all connected monitors, and when expanded, it is stretched (and not necessarily on two monitors. the image will be stretched on as many monitors as are connected).
To switch between modes, press the key combination “WinP”.
Setting up a second monitor. Types of projection
The connected second monitor can be “made” to work in different ways. For example, it can display the same as the main one, or it can display something else.
To configure this moment. right-click anywhere on the desktop and select “Screen settings” in the context menu (if you have Windows 7. then “Screen resolution”). Next, in the parameters, select the projection method (more on this below in the article).
An even simpler option would be to use special keys on the keyboard (if you have a laptop, of course). Typically, a screen will be drawn on one of the function keys. For example, on my keyboard, this is the F8 key, it must be pressed simultaneously with the FN key (see Fig. 12).
Next, a window with projection settings should appear. There are only 4 options:
- Computer screen only. In this case, only one main screen of the laptop (PC) will work, and the second one, which is connected, will be turned off;
- Repeating (see Figure 10). The image on both monitors will be the same. Convenient, for example, when a large monitor displays the same thing as a small laptop monitor when presenting a presentation (for example);
- Expand (see fig. 14). Quite a popular projection option. In this case, your workspace will increase, and you will be able to move the mouse from the desktop of one screen to another. It is very convenient, you can open a movie preview on one, and work on the other (as in Fig. 14).
- Only the second screen. In this case, the main laptop screen will be turned off, and you will work on the connected one (in some form, an analogue of the first option).
On the SIM, the connection process is complete. I will be grateful for the additions. Good luck to all!
Connecting an additional monitor to your computer can either increase your computer productivity or decrease it. For example, you can run different software on two monitors and work with it in parallel. And someone is trying to work at the first monitor, while watching movies, TV series or something else on the second. Personally, in the second case, I can’t concentrate on work, I constantly switch to films and productivity drops noticeably. Therefore, I practically never use the second monitor. But my main one is wider than Full HD and I can easily work with two application windows. If your main monitor is not wide, then the second monitor can just come in handy for working with multiple application windows.
Many users find it difficult to connect a second monitor to a Windows-based computer and sometimes give up this idea. In fact, connecting a monitor is not a problem and in this post we will analyze how to do it.
First you need to see where your main (first) monitor is connected. It can be connected to either the graphics card or the motherboard if there is no graphics card, but there is an integrated graphics core on the board or central processing unit. In any case, motherboards rarely have multiple video connectors, so a video card is needed.
For example, consider the video card that is in my computer. There is 1 HDMI, 1 VGA and 1 DVI. That is, only one HDMI monitor can be connected to my video card. Really buy another video card? No, there is a way out.
There are different adapters. For example, an HDMI to DVI adapter will do. This adapter will cost 300-400 rubles. But VGA. DVI adapters, as in the picture, are white, I bought somewhere for 100 rubles in CSN or even for 75 rubles, somewhere like that. Houses lie, two pieces, used to be used when needed.
After connecting the monitor to the computer, turn on the computer and the monitor. Let me explain using the example of Windows 7. Go to the desktop context menu and select the screen resolution.
Then select the option “Expand these screens” from the list. so that the second monitor is a continuation of the first, or “Duplicate these screens” so that the same is displayed on both.
Confirm the changes by clicking on the OK button and you will have two monitors working as you configured them. If you need to programmatically disable the second monitor, then select the option “Show desktop only to 1”.
As you can see, connecting a second monitor to your computer via HDMI directly or using an adapter is not such a problem. It’s good if your video card has 2 HDMI connectors and monitors have the same connectors, then everything is clearly connected, without problems with adapters.
The computer is one of the most versatile things that man has ever invented. In addition to its built-in functions, of which there are very, very many, its functionality can be expanded by connecting other devices. Speakers, microphone, camera, printer. the devices that can be connected to your computer can be very long to list, and they all make your PC even more multifunctional. Special attention should be paid to the ability to connect two monitors to one computer.
Connecting an external monitor in Windows 10
Each OS has its own principles for connecting with additional equipment. Before connecting a second monitor, it is proposed to carry out similar manipulations in the specified sequence:
- Connect two gadgets with a cable with a specific interface. Windows 10 helps you find the attached screen.
- Searching for “Display Options” is in progress. After that, you need to click on the line “second display” and carry out the work on setting.
- An important step is the choice of projection. Several options are offered. The required user chooses independently, depending on the purpose of the screen.
As a result of connecting a monitor, you can adjust the brightness and clarity of image transmission, resolution and other parameters. It is proposed to do this through the settings menu.
How to connect a monitor to a laptop. 3 main connectors and the sequence of actions
A laptop is called a convenient portable personal device, for the functioning of which it is not necessary to be connected to the mains. For this, a battery is provided, the charge of which is sufficient for several hours of continuous operation.
However, it is not always comfortable to operate the device, because the device has a small screen. You can solve this problem by connecting the laptop to the monitor.
This makes it easier to perform some actions, for example, giving a presentation, viewing several pictures at the same time. In other words, auxiliary equipment expands the functionality of the device.
Connecting an external monitor in Windows 8
Each device has an output for connecting to other screens. This is necessary in order to enlarge the working surface or simultaneously monitor two different displays. On OS 8, the connection diagram is similar to other systems.
This process has several advantages:
- simultaneous execution of many tasks;
- conducting a presentation using a monitor;
- the ability to display unequal images on the screen required for work.
For Windows 8, the connection is simple and fast. After the connection through the cord, the line “Devices” is required. Then the standard adjustment is carried out, the design is established. Then you can start working.
This might be interesting: “How to choose a video card”
Selection of cables and adapters for connection
Before purchasing an accessory cord, you need to find out the type of plug. On modern devices, as a rule, HDMI is found, but there are others. In addition to the connector itself, various indicators are taken into account. To transmit high quality picture with clear sound, you should choose modern versions and cable specifications.
This will allow you to transfer pictures and documents, as well as broadcast movies and games without freezing and other problems.
Separately stands out USB, which is also capable of connecting a computer to a screen. This type of wire will also allow you to transfer information to other electronic gadgets. In a situation where you need to connect two monitors to one PC, you should use extension cords, splitters or adapters.
Choice of connection interface: HDMI, VGA (D-Sub), DVI
There are several variations of the connection: HDMI, VGA (also called D-Sub), DVI. Each method of connecting devices has different characteristics. Connectors differ in the following ways:
- Bandwidth. the rate at which information is transmitted through the cable to the monitor.
- Maximum allowed resolution. This value is measured in pixels and directly depends on the first indicator. The higher it is, the more pixels the picture contains.
- The type of signal for transmission. It includes analog and digital.
In past years, a standard VGA connector was used to make the connection. Over time, the interface ceased to cope with signal transmission due to the increasing power of the latter. This led to the need to create new connectors.
VGA (Video Graphics Array). It dates back to 1987 and is still used in technology. The interface reproduces an image with a maximum rate of up to 1280 × 1024 pixels.
Initially, the connector was designed to work with TVs, later it began to be used for liquid crystal displays.
- the inability to transfer pictures with a quality higher than 1280 × 1024 pixels;
- lack of resistance to interference of natural origin;
- fuzzy transmission of brightness and colors.
DVI (Digital Visual Interface). the most famous nest. The image is transmitted through it with a resolution of up to 7.4 Gbps.
DVI-D transfer only digital signal.
2. DVI-A transmits an analog signal.
3. DVI-I contains two types of transmission.
A large number of devices recognize this connector.
HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface). characterized by the ability to broadcast clips and sounds and through which you can easily connect the monitor to a laptop. This type is present on the following equipment: projectors, speakers and other devices.
Technical characteristics of the connection interfaces
Connecting an external monitor in Windows XP
After connecting through the cord, the monitor image is adjusted for games or work. To do this, do the following:
- The context menu opens. Properties. Display. Options.
- The resolution is set and the number of shades is selected. There are several options: 16, 24 and 32 bit color.
- The transmission of shades is selected depending on the diagonal. The larger the monitor size, the higher the acceptable resolution.
- After configuration, it is suggested to save the changes and click “Yes”.
32-bit color is set in the case when the monitor itself and the video card are powerful, guarantee a natural transfer of shades when watching movies or playing games.
Today monitors with a diagonal of 18 and above are popular. The detailing of the pictures will help you not to miss the details in the image.
We connect the monitor via HDMI to a laptop (computer)
The process of connecting the auxiliary display is carried out according to the same scheme. First of all, you should be sure that all components have the same connector, choose a cord for it. How to connect a monitor to a laptop via HDMI:
Turn off screens. Many users do not use this advice, but in vain. This action will save the equipment from damage. It so happens that due to non-observance of this simple rule, a video card or other part burns out.
Connecting the monitor to the device using a cable. One end of the cord is inserted into the laptop connector, the other into the screen. With the right choice of the connecting wire, there will be no problems with the connection. If it is not possible to get an HDMI cable, then you can use adapters.
The final stage is the inclusion of equipment. After loading the operating system, an image appears on both monitors.
The advantage is that you do not need to go into additional settings and spend a lot of time synchronizing. Modern cards such as Intel HD, Nvidia (for example, ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 TI 4GB DDR5 OC graphics card) or AMD do not require additional adjustment.
If the picture is not automatically displayed on the monitor, then you need to manually reconnect. Hot keys are used for this. They can be F4, F8 or others. it depends on the gadget model.
Projection Views and Setting up a Second Monitor
After the connection, it is necessary to carry out the adjustment. The connection is fast and without configuration intervention. However, you can make the connection so that the pictures on the monitor and the connected screen are not synchronous. For example, be an extension of the desktop or transfer a completely different picture.
Reproduction of unequal pictures can be obtained as follows:
- Right-click at any point on the surface. In the window find “Options or Screen Resolution”.
- The next step is to choose a projection method. Several types stand out.
- Another simple and affordable way to launch is the hotkey. It has an image of a monitor on it. For example, the F8 or F11 button, depending on the brand of the keyboard. To activate, press in parallel with the FN key.
After opening a menu where it is proposed to choose a projection method, the user should press one of 4 options. There are the following types of settings:
Reproduces only the computer screen. And the second monitor will be turned off, but remains connected to the PC display via a cord.
2. Duplication. Both screens display the same picture. This is convenient when you need to make a presentation. Indeed, on a small laptop screen (for example, Lenovo IdeaPad 710S-13IKB models), not all details and details will be visible.
3. Expansion. This is the most popular transmission method. This method significantly increases the workspace, allows you to move the cursor from one screen to another. This makes it possible, for example, to simultaneously work and play video.
4. Only the sub screen functions. In this case, the other display remains black.
How to connect one or more monitors to a Lenovo laptop
A portable laptop provides the user with maximum mobility, while many models are not inferior in performance to a PC. Often there is a need to connect additional devices to a laptop to increase its functionality. Working with presentations, graphs, program codes, comparison tables requires “wide format”, which this gadget does not have. For this, an external screen with a higher resolution quality is used.
Varieties of ports for connecting an external monitor
- VGA (D-Sub). suitable for simple projectors, office monitors, set-top boxes. To connect to modern models, adapters are used: VGA-HDMI, VGA-DVI, etc. The main advantage is its prevalence. But VGA cannot boast of a large expansion without loss of picture quality. 1920 × 1080 and higher is only capable of it with good equipment capabilities.
- DVI is a less popular interface. There are several outwardly absolutely identical varieties: DVI-A (for analog signal), DVI-D (for digital), DVI-I (universal). The only difference is in the contacts involved. If you are very sophisticated with adapters, you can achieve image transfer to 4K monitors, but this does not guarantee high quality.
- HDMI is a modern and user-friendly interface. With its help set-top boxes, monitors, TV are connected. HDMI technology allows video and audio to be transmitted with minimal loss. There are several variations: micro, mini and full size. The advantage of HDMI is its popularity and versatility. Technics with such an interface will be produced for a very long time. The disadvantages include high-quality loss of sound and image when combined with other technologies.
- Display Port is a high-bandwidth interface. It is a modern alternative to HDMI. It seamlessly supports not only 4K monitors, but also FullHD, a picture in 3D. Display Port mini meets. This interface is slightly less common than HDMI, but is gradually gaining popularity. The undoubted advantage is the high quality of technology.
- Type C is a universal connector for data transfer, streaming, charging and more. over, if the laptop has only one Type C connector through which the laptop is charged, then when a supporting monitor is connected to this port, the laptop will not only transmit a streaming image, but also charge.
Using the docking station
A docking station is a special piece of hardware with ports that allows you to connect multiple gadgets at the same time. In the case when it is necessary to work on 2-3 monitors from one laptop, they are used.
Reference. Almost all popular gadget manufacturers have a docking station in their assortment. This is due to the fact that modern laptops are getting thinner and lighter. There is no need to have absolutely all possible interfaces with you at all times, if you can get a separate docking station and use it as needed. It is also a great addition to existing ports.
- Turn off laptop and external screen.
- Connect the docking station to the computer via USB.
- Connect the cable to the appropriate port on the docking station and monitor.
- Turn on both monitor and laptop.
The sub screen can be customized in different ways, depending on the goals. On the keyboard of laptops, there are often “hot” keys for working with the monitor. To call the menu of actions with the screen, you need to hold down the Fn key and the corresponding key with the drawn monitor or WinP. Then there are 4 ways to project the image:
- Computer Screen Only. Only the laptop screen is on.
- Duplicate. external screen duplicates activities on the laptop.
- Expand. increase the work space, both screens act as one.
- Second screen only. the image will only be shown on the external monitor.
Step-by-step connection instructions
- Turn off your computer and external screen.
- Connect the cable to the corresponding port of the laptop and monitor.
- Include both.
Important. Do not neglect turning off the equipment before connecting. Residual current on the cable has more than once caused the failure of the laptop video card.
Setting up a monitor in Windows 10
On a free space on the Windows 10 desktop, right-click. In the window that opens, select the “Screen settings” item. The display setup menu appears. To switch to an external monitor, you need to click on the square with the number 2. Now it can be adjusted in the same way as the main one: change the resolution, contrast and brightness, scale, and flip the image. The “Orientation” item will help you choose how the desktop is displayed: duplicate, expand on both screens, enable only the first or only the second.
Note. Many television monitors have their own audio system, which is often louder than a laptop. To switch, you need to right-click on the speaker image in the lower right corner of the taskbar. We select the item “Playback devices” and in the list we find the name of the external screen.
With the right cables, connecting your laptop to an external monitor is quick and easy. The correct operation of the equipment depends on the compatibility of the technologies. Universal docking stations keep you mobile.
All connection instructions can be found in the following
Before connecting a second monitor to a laptop via HDMI connection, you need to check that you have:
- TV or monitor with an appropriate input jack;
- laptop with output interface connector;
- connecting cable with plugs of suitable size.
Make the connection with the power off to the devices involved. After connecting, turn on both devices and wait for the operating system to load. If you are using a TV, change the input source in its settings by replacing the antenna with HDMI. Computer and secondary monitor screens will show the same desktop image.
Cloning of monitors is not always necessary. The overall image resolution is set by the system, automatically assuming the lower of the two displays. Sometimes the laptop cannot connect an additional screen on its own. Therefore, tuning is then required. The procedure depends on the installed OS and is slightly different for different versions.
To connect a monitor to a laptop with Windows 10, right-click on a free space on the desktop. A menu opens, in it click “Screen settings” → “Display”. The window that opens allows you to:
- choose the order of the monitors;
- set brightness and color;
- adjust scaling, layout of text and applications on the screen;
- assigns resolution, orientation, display enable mode.
For comfortable work, use the “Night mode” of the monitor, which turns on from 21 o’clock, confirming this when setting.
What is HDMI?
The advent of digital television with a picture resolution of Full HD and higher, was the reason for the creation in 2002 of the digital transmission protocol. It was called “High Definition Multimedia Interface”, or in the original in English. “High Definition Multimedia Interface”. Now this is the well-known abbreviation for HDMI.
Features of the standard that have determined the popularity of its widespread use:
- High noise immunity of a digital signal. VGA analog method is unable to provide high quality images.
- The ability to transmit sound and changing picture via cable at the same time. This distinguishes the method from digital DVI, which can only transfer an image.
Currently, 14 modifications have been released, but starting with the V1.4 version, developed in 2009, full compatibility of versions with each other is ensured. Development number does not mean changes, enhancements or replacements of functions.
A standard HDMI cable has the same male connectors. The variety of devices that can output or process incoming video and audio signals has created the need for Mini, or even Micro sized connectors. They differ only in size, being installed on different sides of the connecting cord. The universal graphic interface HDMI is used by both Windows devices and MAC devices.
VGA port appeared in laptops at the same time as the release of computers of this class began. Then it was supplemented with an HDMI connector, which is now installed without fail, even if there is no analog image output. DVI connection is almost never used by laptop computers.
This system is designed with multi-monitor support:
- Access to the selection of the connection mode is opened by pressing the “Win” “C” keys. In the panel, select Devices → Send to Screen. Then confirm one of the four options. By pressing “Win” “P”, you will get to this window in a shorter way.
- The connection configuration is adjusted after pressing the combination “Start” → “Control Panel” → “Appearance and Personalization” → “Screen” → “Resolution” → “Display”. Here the parameters of monitors, their resolution and orientation are assigned.
In the “Desktop Background” section of the “Personalization” panel, you can select the background and its placement on the screen separately for each display.
When you need such a connection?
The laptop is used as a system unit connected to an external screen. It must be a device with an external video input: TV, home theater, or computer screen. The main condition is the presence of an input jack HDMI IN.
The need to output an image via HDMI to a second monitor larger than a laptop arises when you need to provide:
- showing the presentation or other materials to a large audience of viewers;
- joint viewing of video in good quality, which is not always provided by the screen matrix of a laptop;
- reducing eye strain when working with text or tabular information with good resolution and the size of the image elements on the display;
- increasing the comfort of a computer game on the big screen.
It is convenient to use two displays at the same time for different tasks. For example, when doing basic work on a laptop, use a large monitor for reference or entertainment information from the Internet.
Connecting a monitor to a laptop via HDMI: simple instructions from Wi-FiGid
Mobility, light weight and dimensions are the advantages of a laptop over a stationary PC. The portable device is designed for confidential information perception. The manufacturer specifically limits the viewing angle of the display with a glossy surface that gives glare reflections of light. This allows you to use the device in public places or transport. the image is poorly visible from the side, such a technical solution is reasonable and correct.
The positive turns into an annoying drawback when you need to show the image to more than one person. The small size of the diagonal, the need to look at a certain angle is inconvenient. Shared viewing allows you to connect an external display of any size. This article will show you how to connect a monitor to a laptop via HDMI. Let us note the features of such a connection. Go!
The top row of keys is marked with F1. F12. One of them has an image of two monitors highlighted in color. Usually this is “F8”, but different manufacturers may have others in this row (I have F5 on ACER).
Pressing the keys simultaneously with the “Fn” button located in the bottom row on the left, you will open the connection menu:
- “Computer screen only”. Secondary monitor is off, only laptop display is working.
- “Recurring”. The image on the two displays is the same. Used to demonstrate the process reflected by the laptop screen.
- Expand. The most popular option. Allows you to move the mouse cursor to different displays, launching different applications in each of them.
- “Only the second screen.” Turns on when the computer is used with its own display turned off. Only the additional screen works.
To connect a monitor to a laptop, you need to adjust the image quality. Configuration is performed differently for each Windows OS.
Some people still use this OS. The setup looks like this:
- right-click on a free area of the desktop;
- select the “Properties” item in the context menu that opens;
- in the window, click “Screen” and then the “Parameters” tab.
- Arrangement of screens marked: “1”. laptop, “2”. additional monitor.
- “Multiple displays”.
- Set the resolution and number of colors for each of them.
- Check the box “Extend the desktop to this monitor”.
Finish the configuration by clicking “Apply” and “OK”.