Flickering stripes appear on the laptop screen
incorrect monitor connection
Check if your monitor is properly connected to the computer: the cable connecting the monitor must be completely plugged in on both sides. We recommend that you additionally use another outlet for the monitor. it is quite possible that it simply does not have enough power.
If there is any type of damage on the connected cable, the cable must be replaced.
Vertical stripes appear on the monitor
The monitor is the most important device for working with a computer, which allows you to see all the actions on the screen. Unfortunately, the monitor is not always happy with its correct operation. Below we will look at what is causing the problem when vertical stripes appear on the monitor, and if there is anything you can do about it.
As a rule, suddenly appeared vertical stripes on the screen of users’ computers appear for two groups of reasons: software and hardware. In the first case, the software installed on the computer was to blame, and in the second, problems with the monitor itself or its connection to the system unit.
A sudden power surge, severe overheating or an elementary factory defect can cause the motherboard to fail.
In this case, of course, if you connect the monitor to another computer, it will work fine. Excluding malfunctions in the operation of the video card, you should suspect the motherboard. and here everything is already sad, and you cannot help it on your own, you will definitely need to contact the service center (and the sooner the better).
failure of the video card
If possible, connect your monitor to any other computer. If the vertical stripes have disappeared, but you do not suspect software problems, you can assume that the problem lies in the video card, which may have failed.
Next, you need to disconnect the video card from your computer, and then insert it into another computer, in the performance of which you are completely sure. If the situation with the monitor is similar, you have confirmed your guess once again.
In this case, you will need to try to visually inspect the video card: whether it is forgotten by dust, and whether the contacts are dirty. If it’s about the contacts, clean them with an eraser, and also get rid of all visible dirt. After that, the video card did not work? Then you will not be able to help her with anything: either contact the service center to repair it, or replace the video card.
lack of video card drivers
In the event that you just reinstalled Windows or updated the video card drivers, but after that you encountered vertical stripes on the monitor screen, you can assume that there are problems with the drivers.
To solve this problem, you need to install the latest video card drivers. First of all, open the menu “Control Panel” and go to section “System”.
In the left pane of the window, click on the item “Device Manager”.
Expand the tab “Video adapters”. If the name “VGA-adapter” or the name of your video card appears next to it, but with a yellow exclamation mark, this indicates the inoperability of the drivers. If the drivers have been installed, right-click on the graphics adapter and select the item “Delete”.
A confirmation window will appear on the screen, where you will need to check the box next to “Remove driver programs for this device”.
Once the uninstallation is completed successfully, you will need to restart your computer. From this point on, you can start downloading and installing the latest version of the video card drivers (if you did not work with the video card drivers after installing Windows at all, you will immediately need to proceed to downloading them, without the preliminary uninstallation procedure described above).
You can download video card drivers from the official website of the manufacturer of your graphics adapter (specifically for your model). If you are the owner of a laptop, then graphics drivers will be downloaded from the laptop manufacturer’s website.
Having downloaded the required distribution of drivers, you will need to start it, complete the installation, like any other program, and then be sure to restart your computer.
incorrect permission settings
The problem with vertical stripes may occur because the computer settings are set to the wrong resolution.
To check this, right-click on any free area of the desktop and select the item Screen Options.
In the displayed settings window, click on the button “Advanced display options”.
In field “Resolution” set the recommended setting for your computer and then save the changes.
How it all begins
Most often, one small strip of some color appears on the laptop screen. The owner of the laptop does not pay attention to this, but this should not be left to chance. In the first days, a maximum of three stripes appear on the screen (green, red or blue), but within a week, horizontal or vertical stripes begin to “multiply” very actively. And only then the user realizes that something is wrong. Some people manage to fix this for a few minutes by pressing the matrix of the laptop screen (exactly where the stripes were). After a couple of minutes, the problem returns, but there are simply no options for solving it.
The appearance of lines that randomly move around the monitor and constantly change their colors proves the fact that the problem lies in the breakage of the loop. A little higher we have already discussed this problem, however, as you understand, this so widespread nuisance already has many “modifications”. In what cases the problem lies in the matrix loop?
- You turned off your laptop, there were no stripes, and in the morning you turn it on again, but there were already stripes. This is a symptom of a problem with the matrix or loop.
- The monitor not only flickers and changes colors, but also becomes negative (the image on the screen is sometimes presented in negative). This is already an extreme stage of a breakdown of a personal computer loop or its matrix.
- There is an image on only one half of the screen, while the other is simply empty. Matrix problem that should be resolved before the monitor completely turns off.
- Inoperative laptop backlighting indicates that in the near future it is necessary to replace the matrix module. the inverter.
On the laptop the stripes on the screen, what to do?
Recently, a lot of complaints have been received about the appearance of various stripes on the laptop screen. What is the reason for this phenomenon, how to avoid it, what to do if stripes appear on the laptop screen? You will find answers to all these questions and many others in the article.
To narrow the search for the problem, it is recommended to make an independent laptop diagnosis at home. Observe all of the points listed below.
- We connect some external monitor to our laptop to check if the video card is to blame for the appearance of the stripes, and if everything is fine with it. If the image on the connected monitor matches what is on the laptop screen, the problem is probably not with the video card. If there are no problems on the second screen, but on the laptop the situation is the same, everything is fine with the video card, the problem is something else.
- If the first situation did not suit you, and you did not identify the problem, we can proceed to check number two. You need to test the matrix by pressing or bending. If, when you click on a specific place where, for example, a white stripe on the laptop screen appears, the image changes slightly, most likely the problem is in the matrix or a cable directly connected to the PC screen.
- Does the image change when you close / open the laptop? The problem lies in the loop (poor-quality contact or broken tracks).
Single system violation
If stripes appear on the screen on the laptop, this may not mean that the problem really exists as such. This may be due to a single malfunction. The masters are often approached by people who are sure that their laptop is broken (something with a matrix or video card), due to the fact that, for example, a black stripe has appeared on the laptop screen. But this by no means proves the need for urgent repairs. There were situations when a small blue stripe appeared on the screen (it was not even, but moved chaotically). This “thing” was on the screen for about a week, and no one paid attention to it. At first it seemed that the strip was getting larger, but after five days it became clear that it did not increase either in length or width. After two days, the strip disappeared and never appeared again.
It is because of this that it is better to wait a week or two to make sure that this is really a problem, and not to pay money to the masters who will fix the laptop in a day, and it will “cover” again in a month. But if the problem is not solved, then you can already go to the technical center, where you will find the right master.
Vertical or horizontal stripes on a laptop screen can appear for several reasons, which will be discussed below. The reasons are as follows:
- breakdown of the video card of a personal computer (in certain cases, you can repair an element or replace it completely);
- damage to the motherboard (most often due to overheating);
- breakdown of the laptop matrix (you will have to make a complete replacement);
- various damages (poor contact, breakage and other problems with the train).
Breakable laptop components can always be repaired, both with your own hands and with the help of a variety of companies engaged in activities such as laptop repair.
If multi-colored stripes appear on the laptop screen, most likely the problem is in the laptop matrix cable. It is important to note that the stripes do not affect the operation of the computer itself, just a little annoying. There is only one way to get rid of them. by replacing the loop. It is almost impossible to do this on your own (there is a high probability that you will only aggravate everything), so it is better to turn to professionals who will do everything at the highest level. Laptop repair is not the best business for the non-professional. In this case, you can ruin not only the laptop, but also your nerves, as well as waste a lot of time.
Check everything again. When the laptop screen is tilted, stripes should appear on the other side of the screen. If this happens, then the problem is exactly in the PC matrix loop.
Stripes and ripples on the screen (artifacts on the video card). What to do?
If you can put up with many errors and problems on the computer, then you cannot put up with defects on the screen (the same stripes as in the picture on the left)! They not only interfere with the view, but can spoil your eyesight if you work for such an image on the screen for a long time.
Stripes on the screen can appear for various reasons, but most often they are associated with problems with the video card (many say that artifacts appeared on the video card).
Artifacts are understood as any distortion of the image on the PC monitor. Most often, they are ripples, color distortion, stripes with squares across the entire area of the monitor. And so what to do with them?
Immediately I want to make a small reservation. Many people confuse artifacts on the video card with dead pixels on the monitor (a clear difference is shown in Fig. 1).
A broken pixel is a white point on the screen that does not change color when the picture on the screen changes. Therefore, it is quite easy to detect it by flooding the screen alternately with different colors.
Artifacts are distortions on the monitor screen that are not related to problems with the monitor itself. It’s just that the video card sends such a distorted signal to it (this happens for many reasons).
Distinguish between software artifacts (associated with drivers, for example) and hardware (associated with the hardware itself).
As a rule, they appear when launching some 3D games or applications. If you observe artifacts when Windows boots (also in BIOS), most likely you are dealing with hardware artifacts (about them below in the article).
There are a lot of reasons for the appearance of artifacts in the game, but I will analyze the most popular ones.
1) Firstly, I recommend checking the temperature of the video card during operation. The thing is that if the temperature has reached critical values, then everything is possible, from distortion of the picture on the screen to the failure of the device.
You can read about how to find out the temperature of a video card in my previous article: https://pcpro100.info/kak-uznat-temperaturu-videokartyi/
If the temperature of the video card exceeds the norm, I recommend cleaning the computer from dust (and pay special attention to the video card when cleaning). Also, pay attention to the work of coolers, perhaps some of them do not work (or are clogged with dust and do not spin).
Most often, overheating occurs during hot summer months. To reduce the temperature of the system unit components, it is even recommended to open the unit cover and put a regular fan in front of it. Such a primitive method will help to significantly reduce the temperature inside the system unit.
2) The second reason (and quite common) is the drivers for the video card. I would like to note that neither new nor old drivers give a guarantee of good performance. Therefore, I recommend that you first update the driver, and then (if the picture is just as bad) roll back the driver or install an even older one.
Sometimes the use of “old” drivers is more justified, and, for example, they helped me more than once to enjoy some game that refused to work normally with new versions of drivers.
How to update drivers with just 1 click: https://pcpro100.info/obnovleniya-drayverov/
3) Update DirectX and.NetFrameWork. There is nothing to comment on here, I will give a couple of links to my previous articles:
4) Lack of support for shaders. it will almost certainly give artifacts on the screen (shaders are a kind of scripts for a video card that allow you to implement various special effects in games: dust, ripples on the water, dirt particles, etc., everything that makes the game so realistic).
Usually, if you try to run a new game on an old video card, you get an error stating that it is not supported. But sometimes this does not happen, and the game is launched on a video card that does not support the necessary shaders (there are also special shader emulators that help launch new games on old PCs).
In this case, you just need to carefully study the system requirements of the game, and if your video card is too old (and weak), then, as a rule, you will not be able to do anything (except overclocking).
5) When overclocking the video card, artifacts may appear. In this case, reset the frequencies and return everything to its original state. In general, overclocking is a rather complicated topic, and if you don’t use a skillful approach, you can easily disable the device.
6) A glitchy game can also cause picture distortions on the screen. You can usually find out about this if you look at the various communities of players (forums, blogs, etc.). If there is such a problem, then not only you will face it. Surely, they will also suggest a solution to this problem (if there is one).
In addition to software artifacts, there can be hardware artifacts caused by poorly performing hardware. As a rule, they will have to be observed absolutely everywhere, wherever you are: in the BIOS, on the desktop, when loading Windows, in games, any 2D and 3D applications, etc. The reason for this, most often, is the delamination of the graphics chip, less often there are problems with overheating of memory chips.
With hardware artifacts, you can proceed as follows:
1) Replace the chip on the video card. It is expensive (relative to the cost of a video card), it is dreary to look for an office that will make repairs, it takes a long time to look for the required chip, and so on. It is not yet known how this repair will be carried out for you
2) An attempt to warm up the video card on your own. This topic is quite extensive. But I will say right away that such a repair, if it helps, will not help the card for a long time, it will work from a week to half a year (sometimes up to a year). You can read about warming up the video card from this author: http://my-mods.net/archives/1387
3) Replacing the video card with a new one. The fastest and easiest option, which sooner or later everyone comes to when artifacts appear
That’s all for me. Good job PC everyone and fewer bugs
Stripes on the laptop screen, what to do?
Vertical stripes began to appear on the laptop, even during Windows boot. They did nothing with the laptop (they did not drop it, did not fill it in, etc.). What could be?
It depends on which stripes. This problem can be both software in nature (for example, due to incorrect drivers) and hardware. in case of a breakdown of the video card, monitor matrix, etc.
In any case, you can check something on your own (what if the problem is not so serious and you can save on the service ?!).
What to do if streaks appear
connect an external monitor to your laptop
And so, for starters, you need to connect either a second external monitor (for example, from a PC) to your laptop, or a regular TV. This is done quite simply (links below for help):
In general, this step will help us diagnose the problem:
- if there are no stripes on the external monitor (and on a laptop at the same time, stripes will be observed in games, in Windows, and in the BIOS). most likely a problem is either with the loop or with the monitor matrix. In both cases, you can’t do without a service;
- if stripes are also observed on the external monitor (just like on the laptop screen). most likely the problem is either with the drivers or with the hardware (video card, motherboard). Those. you can continue looking for the reason.
set the time and nature of the appearance of stripes
Next, I would recommend taking a close look at exactly when the stripes appear:
- Immediately after turning on the laptop (i.e. even before Windows boots);
- only when it appeared. desktop (i.e. after Windows boots);
- after launching some specific games, etc.
By the way, it would not be superfluous to go into BIOS (UEFI) and load secure settings (i.e. reset to factory presets). This will eliminate the problem associated with overclocking (if, for example, someone decided to speed up the device and changed the frequencies manually (although this usually cannot be done on laptops)).
After, take a closer look, are there stripes when you are in BIOS (UEFI)? If they remain, the problem is probably a hardware problem (i.e. device in service).
If there are no stripes in the BIOS, I would recommend:
- first: boot Windows in safe mode (in this mode, only the most necessary software for the operation of Windows is loaded. If there are no stripes in this mode, it is worth “digging” in the direction of the drivers and the OS itself.);
- second: boot from a LiveCD disk (flash drive). This action will also help to identify the problematic driver (errors of the installed Windows).
if stripes occur periodically in Windows (they are not in BIOS and when booting from LiveCD)
Not always, but as a rule, this indicates a problematic driver (not a suitable version for the current OS, system errors, conflict with other drivers, etc.).
By the way, not so long ago on one of my work laptops there was a similar picture with black and green stripes (
occurred every 20 minutes. and only in browsers). The problem was AMD video driver.
Black and green stripes when working in a browser
- determine the exact model of the laptop, and download a set of drivers for it on the manufacturer’s website;
- remove old drivers using specials. software (by the way, the drivers that Windows itself installs in auto-mode can often be the cause of such a problem);
- install new downloaded drivers;
- if there are no drivers for your current OS on the manufacturer’s website, reinstall Windows (it’s just that many are switching to Windows 10, and the manufacturer has not released official drivers for 10.).
Note: if several versions of drivers for a video card are posted on the manufacturer’s website, I recommend downloading them all and checking them one by one (it is not known which version of them will work more stable.).
if stripes are observed only in games (or under load, when the laptop starts to slow down)
As a rule (in 98% of cases), this problem occurs due to the video card and its overheating. Screen stripes and distortions can be very different (examples below).
- for a start, it is highly advisable to clean the laptop from dust;
- replace thermal paste on the processor and video card (for advanced users);
- purchase special laptop cooling stand;
- reinstall the video driver;
- install special a utility for monitoring temperature and monitor if it goes beyond the optimal values;
- try to reduce the load on the video card (disable some of the effects in the game, reduce the resolution, set the video card settings for performance);
- if none of the above results brought. to service.
The video card stopped working
The video card is responsible for transferring the image to the screen. A serious load falls on it, therefore, breakdowns of this part occur quite often. When diagnosing, it is necessary to follow a certain algorithm of actions:
- Catch the time the streaks appear after turning on the laptop.
- If horizontal stripes on the monitor (or others) appear immediately after turning on, in most cases the problem is not related to the video card.
- If the stripes on the laptop screen are visible after a short period of time, then the reason is most likely the chip overheating.
When flickering stripes appear on the laptop screen, and the time after loading is 5-10 minutes, special attention is paid to the video card. This is because the device heats up gradually.
When the chip on the video card overheats, problems appear. In order to prevent its complete failure, it is necessary to timely monitor the laptop cooling system. What measures can be taken:
- Replacing the chip completely is financially costly, but as efficiently as possible.
- Rebowling, dismantling and putting the same chip back. in some cases it helps.
- Warming up the chip is cheap, but too frustrating. Improves the picture situation only temporarily.
If the video card overheats temporarily, this situation can be corrected. In addition, if stripes appear on the monitor, this may not be constant: for example, when loading a game with maximum requirements. But when the video card completely fails, it is also possible that stripes appear on the screen immediately upon boot, or the monitor remains a “black square”.
It is quite problematic to physically control the operating mode of the cooler on a laptop. However, this can be the reason for the appearance of vertical or horizontal stripes on the laptop screen. You can use software utilities, many of them are available free of charge. They will give information about the heating of various system components.
Note! If, upon visual inspection of the chip, traces of carbon deposits are noticeable, it is necessary to replace it, since the device is definitely out of order.
It is also recommended that you purchase a dedicated fan stand for your devices to reduce heat stress. This is especially useful for laptops running at maximum speeds and requirements. Chances are high that the stripe on the laptop screen will no longer appear.
The ribbon cable must be diagnosed if stripes appear on the laptop screen. When operating a laptop, its cover (monitor) is constantly opened and closed. This leads to possible deformation, clamping of the image-transmitting cable. It is recommended to follow this process, do not make sudden movements with the device lid.
For diagnostics, you just need to observe the image on the monitor at different positions of the cover. If the stripes on the laptop screen disappear or their number increases, then the cause of the malfunction is most likely in the loop. This is a simple breakdown that will not financially hit your when you replace it. It is necessary to change the cable in the following cases (provided that the connected additional monitor shows a clear and even picture):
- Shimmering streaks, ripples, white or black streaks;
- “Broken” pixels are visible (usually they are in columns);
- Manipulation of the lid changes, “revives” image errors.
In modern models of laptops, manufacturers have paid more attention to the protection of loops, have made constructive updates that help to extend their service life. In older models, this problem occurs much more often, but it is also difficult to find a loop suitable for technical characteristics.
Before starting the search, it is necessary to write down the model of the matrix itself, it is this data that will help replace the part. In addition, repairs are carried out in service centers if it is impossible to find a replacement. The procedure is quite simple. With the help of a special device, the loop “rings” to detect breaks. After that, instead of the broken wire, a new one is soldered in parallel.
In the case when it is revealed that vertical stripes on the laptop monitor and their appearance are not associated with system errors, drivers, it is necessary to conduct a more specific check. Since several components are responsible for transmitting the image to the monitor, it is necessary to find out the specific location of the problem.
In service centers, professional equipment is used for this, but at home, using simple tips, you can carry out a general diagnosis. With some knowledge and understanding of the operation of the laptop system, you can understand the cause of the malfunction.
Using an additional monitor
This is the most accessible and user-friendly diagnostic option. You only need an additional serviceable monitor. It is connected to the laptop connector through a special VGA connector.
If the stripes do not appear on the monitor screen, the picture is clear, the color rendition is correct, then it is worth looking for errors in the operation of the monitor itself or the loop. If the same distortions are visible on the additional screen, then the reason lies in problems with the video card or system board (motherboard).
In a domestic environment, it is almost impossible to check the working functionality of the motherboard. This device is technically and functionally complex, which requires careful handling, special skills and equipment. The best option to check the functionality is to contact a professional service center. Even a call to the master at home may not give results in this case, since the specialist is not able to visually determine the breakdown.
If you have minimal knowledge of the hardware structure of a laptop, then when you open it is reasonable to inspect the PCMCIA slot where the video card is inserted. If liquid was spilled on the laptop, then traces of oxidation, carbon deposits are noticeable in this place.
Attention! If the service center finds out that it is necessary to re-solder only one chip or clean the contacts, then you should agree to this. Complex repairs in most cases do not justify themselves either in terms of the time spent or in terms of financial investments. It is more profitable to simply replace the motherboard completely.
For what reasons do stripes appear
The striped picture has different visual characteristics. In addition to stripes, you can notice partial image distortion, ripples, incorrect color rendition. The video card module is responsible for displaying information on the monitor (in modern laptop models, it is integrated into the CPU). Through the connecting ribbon cable, the image goes directly to the laptop screen, the motherboard controls all this work.
Thus, it is easy to determine that if streaks appear on the computer monitor, the reason lies in one of the following system components:
- Graphics adapter;
- Monitor (more precisely, a matrix);
- Connecting cable.
Problems with the motherboard can be considered the most critical. But they rarely lead to partial distortion of the image, the appearance of stripes. In most cases, the screen does not work completely. often, diagnostics reveal problems in the functioning of the video card, in particular when the chip overheats.
The reasons may also be in malfunctions in the operation of the connecting loop. Pinching or kinking will damage individual conductors. This causes distortion or flickering in the image.
When horizontal stripes are visible on the monitor, most often they diagnose malfunctions in the functioning of the matrix itself. This is a rather fragile technological component, any minor damage leads to image distortion.
Attention! Experts advise starting troubleshooting by checking the drivers of all modules. The problems may be related to the fact that they “flew” or require updating.
Causes of vertical or horizontal stripes on the screen
Problems with the quality of the image on the screen are critical and require timely resolution. It becomes difficult to use the device, in some cases the functionality is completely lost.
But if repairs require the services of a specialist, then you can identify the reasons for the appearance of stripes on the laptop screen yourself. Diagnostics on this device is more problematic than on a PC, this is due to technical features.
To diagnose a malfunction of the laptop screen matrix, it is enough to carry out the following steps:
- The monitor displays an image with a bright background color.
- Lightly tap where stripes appear on the screen.
- View the screen from different angles and planes.
If during the manipulations the number of stripes and color change, then the cause of the malfunction is almost exactly covered in the breakdown of the matrix itself or at the junction with the conductive loop. Matrix replacement is required in the following cases:
- If the secondary monitor works without interference;
- Stripes are visible or the color rendition changes;
- Stripes appear at all loading stages;
- There are characteristic ripples, one wide light stripe on the monitor or several thin colored stripes horizontally;
- A white stripe is visible on a part of the screen of any size vertically;
- The picture is in negative or there is a color change.
If streaks appear on the monitor due to the matrix, the equipment can be repaired. But often in service centers, after diagnosing and assessing the general condition of the device, they give recommendations on buying a new laptop. It is profitable to hand over the old one for spare parts in the same workshop and purchase a modern model at a discount.
Important! When horizontal stripes appear, it is impossible to work. But any repair is only a temporary fix of the situation. Laptops, like any equipment, have their own “shelf life”, after which it is advisable to change the components or the device completely.
Matrix or train
In order to diagnose a breakdown of a matrix or a lead-in loop, an external monitor is required. In this case, it will not be possible to do without it, since it is not possible to check the operation of the matrix at home in another way. The scenario will be the same as when checking the video card: we connect the monitor and look at the picture. If the stripes are still displayed on the screen, then the matrix is out of order.
Replacing this component yourself at home is highly discouraged in order to avoid various troubles. It can also be problematic to purchase a matrix of the required model without the help of a specialist, so in this case you have a direct road to service.
As for the loop, it is rather difficult to accurately determine its “culpability” in the malfunctions. There is one sign, the presence of which may indicate its failure. This is a temporary nature of distortion, that is, the stripes do not remain on the screen forever, but appear from time to time. For all the unpleasantness of the situation, this is the least evil that could happen to a laptop. Replacing the loop also needs to be done by a qualified technician.
Overheating is a perennial problem in laptop computers. For example, an increase in temperature to an unacceptable level can lead to short-term problems in the form of ripples on the screen, colored stripes or picture jerking. You can identify this problem using special software.
There are two ways to eliminate overheating: try using a special cooling pad for laptops, or disassemble the device and service the cooling system. It includes cleaning the air intakes and radiators from dust, as well as replacing the thermal paste.
If the temperature is normal, then it is necessary to proceed to further troubleshooting.
The stripes on the laptop screen
As mentioned above, stripes on the screen indicate serious problems in the system, in particular, its hardware component. In the case of a laptop, it can be extremely difficult to identify and eliminate the causes, since, unlike a desktop computer, it has a more complex design. We are now talking about the possibility of disconnecting “suspicious” devices.
The main factors causing distortion or partial absence of an image on the screen are a malfunction or overheating of the video card, failure of the matrix itself or the supply cable.
If the image on its screen is exactly the same, that is, the stripes remain, then there is a breakdown of the video adapter. Only the service center will help here, since both a discrete video card and an integrated graphics core can fail.
In the event that the monitor could not be obtained, you will have to disassemble the laptop and remove the discrete card.
The steps below may differ from model to model, but the principle will remain the same.
- We get access to the laptop motherboard by disassembling it, as in the article on the link above, or by removing the service cover.
We dismantle the cooling system by unscrewing all the necessary fastening screws.
The video card is attached to the motherboard with several screws, which must also be unscrewed.
Now carefully remove the adapter from the connector by lifting the edge of the board opposite to it and pulling it towards you.
- The stripes remained. This indicates a malfunction of the integrated graphics or matrix.
- The picture is displayed normally. the discrete adapter is out of order.
You can check which of the video adapters is “naughty” without disassembling the laptop. This is done by disabling one of them using the BIOS or software settings.
As with a physical disconnection, here you need to look at the behavior of the picture on the screen.
The solution to the problem is either to replace the discrete video card, or to visit a specialized workshop to replace the integrated video chip.
Solving the problem with stripes on the laptop screen
Today we talked about the main reasons for the appearance of colored stripes on the laptop screen, but there is another one. failure of the motherboard components. It is impossible to diagnose its malfunctions without special equipment and skills, so only service will help. If you are overtaken by this trouble, then, in most cases, you will have to replace the “motherboard”. If its cost is more than 50% of the cost of the laptop, then the repair may be impractical.
Causes of malfunctions
The first signs of breakage begin with the appearance of one small strip. Owners often do not notice it, because, as a rule, such a trifle does not interfere with work. But if you leave this alarming sign unattended, the consequences of inaction can be dire. The problem grows on an increasing basis, because after a while the bands increase and there are more of them. And when the problem reaches a large scale, the user starts to sound the alarm.
Horizontal stripes on the screen as well as vertical stripes appear for a variety of reasons. In addition, the malfunction may appear in the form of flickering or colored spots on the sensor.
- Damage to the video card (most often a complete replacement of the adapter is required, less often problems can be fixed).
- Damage to the motherboard (repair depends on the severity of the damage).
- Faulty state of the matrix loop (an estimate of the part or strengthening of existing connections is required).
- Soldering the video chip when the gadget overheats.
- Mechanical damage to the matrix (mandatory replacement is required).
If you find a malfunction of any part of the computer, then it must be corrected or urgently replaced. You can use the services of special centers or make repairs yourself. You can fix a laptop with your own hands, provided that you have some skills.
White stripe on the screen
Often, if a white vertical stripe appears on the laptop screen, then you can suspect the need to replace the matrix. Also, such manifestations may indicate a malfunction of the video card or problems with the motherboard. Another likely cause is damage to the loop. Of course, before contacting a service center or starting repairs, conduct your own primary diagnostics to determine the causes.
Is there a wide white stripe in the middle of the screen? This definitely indicates a malfunction of the matrix and the need to replace it.
Malfunction of the driver in the system
When you see stripes on the screen on a laptop, it is quite possible that the cause is a trivial malfunction of the drivers. They may be absent altogether, or they may be incorrectly installed. The solution here is simple and affordable. reinstall the drivers.
If your laptop comes with a driver disc, try installing from it first. But since the deliverables are not updated, they may not help to resolve the issue. In this case, you need to look for the current version on the Internet. It is important to use only official sources, otherwise you can seriously harm your computer. If the reinstallation did not affect the problem in any way, then you should look for the reason in the internal details of the laptop.
Replacing the device matrix
If replacing your laptop screen is necessary, take it seriously. There are several determining factors that directly affect the quality and durability of the matrix. Below are the main points to consider:
- Backlight. Most modern gadgets are equipped with LED backlighting, which is based on LEDs placed on one side. If the laptop model is older, then either a special lamp is needed, or use a CCFL to LED adapter.
- Coating. Determine which is closer to your taste. matte or glossy.
- Diagonal. Directly depends on the laptop model. The most common size. 15.6 inch screen.
- Thickness. Can be standard (5-7 mm) or thin (approx. 3 mm). In the first case, the board is at the back, and in the second. at the bottom.
- Connector for connecting a loop. Depending on the laptop, the connection can be right, left, bottom, or top. To find out what type your model has, it is recommended to contact the experts.
- Contacts in the connector. Their number varies, but the most common indicator is 40 pin. You can also find 50, 30 or 20 pin.
Flickering lines across the screen
Have you noticed stripes on the screen on the laptop that randomly move and flicker, changing color? This could be another time to pay close attention to the train.
Is the monitor behaving atypically and constantly flickering stripes appear on the laptop screen? Is the image focused on only half of the screen and the backlight is defective? Such signs indicate the need to replace the inverter.
A common cause of manifestations is an ordinary failure in the system. Therefore, before contacting specialists, it is recommended to wait a little time, and also be sure to carry out diagnostics. But if the fears are confirmed, then you should not delay going to the service.
Corrupted laptop matrix
It is the matrix that is most susceptible to external damage and breakdown. Damage may result from accidental shock, scratching, exposure to water. If a black stripe appears on the laptop screen, this is already a reason to sound the alarm. Firstly, such a manifestation interferes with working, and secondly, after a while, the display completely stops turning on. If you have determined for sure that the matrix is faulty, then there is only one way out. a complete replacement of the device screen.
Perhaps the problem lies in the inverter or backlight lamps. In this case, to eliminate the trouble, it is enough to replace the damaged part.
- Dark image (possibly dramatic fading).
- The monitor periodically turns off by itself (except when going into sleep mode.
- There are cracks visible to the naked eye (as a result of mechanical damage such as impacts or scratches).
What to do if stripes appear on the screen on the laptop? Laptop screen replacement
Display problems. not a rare problem. If we are talking about a stationary computer, then it is much easier to fix it. Sometimes an effective way. even just fix the connection cord with the system unit. When stripes appear on the screen on a laptop, the situation becomes more complicated, but it is not hopeless. Do not rush to run to the service center, first determine what is the cause of the problem. Perhaps there is a way to fix the situation yourself. The only thing worth noting: if the laptop is under warranty, you must immediately contact the service center.
Most of the screen breakages are serious and require professional repair. Such problems arise not only with laptops, but also with other digital gadgets based on LCD displays (smartphones, mobile phones, cameras and many other devices).