How Far Should You Sit From The Monitor
When we walk, move and observe the world around us, the eye muscles are also in motion and can periodically relax. In the case of watching TV, things are different. For a long period, a person looks at one point, which is unnatural for the visual organs. The accommodative muscles have to constantly be in tension in order to keep vision within certain limits, they get tired and cease to fully perform their functions. This is especially harmful for people suffering from myopia, as it contributes to the progression and further deterioration of vision.
To solve this problem, you need to periodically (about once every half an hour) tear yourself away from the screen and charge your eyes, look around, at objects at different distances. It would be best to just look away from the TV once every few minutes, this action will take only a few seconds, but will allow your eyes to relax a little.
The TV must NOT hang from the side, it must be placed directly in front of the viewer
Table: Recommended TV-Viewer Distance
|Diagonal size (inches)||Diagonal size (cm)||Recommended distance from TV to viewer|
A projection TV, like a cathode-ray TV, is bulky and harmful to the eyes due to screen flickering.
Plasma and LCD TVs
Plasma TVs generate quite a lot of heat during operation and are NOT recommended for small rooms. When they are turned on, ultraviolet rays and electromagnetic radiation begin to be generated. However, they do not harm humans, since their harmful effects are blocked by the glass on the screen. Unlike older models, plasma TVs have no flicker, which can negatively affect the eyes. And also on their screens there is NO picture distortion and interference.
LCD monitors do not have a picture tube in their composition, which means that they do not have rays harmful to people. However, due to the conductors, electromagnetic radiation is still produced, although it is much weaker than that of CRT TVs. A big plus is the absence of flickering in LCD screens, which reduces the strain on human eyes.
These two types of TVs are the most modern and safe for human eyesight. Among other things, they use less energy and have a flat screen. This allows you to hang the device on the wall and save space in the apartment. In most cases, people are advised to buy LCD TVs because of their benefits such as:
- great functionality;
- lack of heating;
- low energy consumption.
Modern plasma and liquid crystal televisions The safest for sight
Impact of watching TV on vision
Televisions have long been included in our lives. It is difficult to imagine a house or apartment, where there would be no such device. Most people spend several hours a day watching various programs, not to mention the children who love cartoons. Many are beginning to forget that frequent presence in front of the TV can significantly affect the state of the organs of vision. To maintain eye health, you must take precautions and sit at a certain distance from the screen.
If you follow safety precautions and adhere to the recommendations of specialists, there should not be any vision problems after watching TV. It is especially necessary to carefully monitor children, who can spend the whole day in the screen, watching their favorite cartoon characters. They are not able to limit themselves on their own, so the parents must determine the optimal time that the child can devote to watching TV. So, some tips for gear lovers:
- Observe the recommended viewing distance, especially if you have a CRT TV at home.
- Try not to watch TV with the lights off in the room. Remember that even a small floor lamp with soft lighting will significantly reduce eye strain.
- Allocating no more than two hours a day to watch TV. You should NOT use all this time at once, you need to take small breaks at least once every 30 minutes and do gymnastics for the eyes. For children, the allowable time is significantly less, up to six years. no more than forty minutes, up to 12 years. no more than an hour, from 12-14 years old. an hour and a half.
- DO NOT look at a white screen in an unlit room or a dark film in a bright room. Try to equalize the contrast between the TV and the surroundings.
Pain in the eyes when watching TV
People blink less often while watching TV. Because of this, the cornea of the eye begins to dry out, since it is not fully supplied with lacrimal fluid. After some time, people begin to feel pain, they want to close their eyes, since it is impossible to fully enjoy watching the program. Some even get headaches. To solve this problem, you must NOT forget the morgue more often, and you can also use special eye drops, which replace natural tears (Sistane, Vizin, Artificial tears).
While watching TV Do not forget to frequent the morgue so that your eyes do NOT start to hurt
Safe distance from TV to eyes
Before buying a TV, you need to study the norms for the distance of the screen from the eyes. This will help you understand exactly what screen size is right for your apartment. By and large, you can watch programs from any distance, if this does not happen for a long time. Experts say that it would be most reasonable to move the screen away from the eyes about two meters.
However, even if you have purchased safer LCD and plasma TVs, you should not neglect the rules of operation. There are guidelines for the position of the screen from the viewer, which depend on the size of the monitor itself. The larger it is, the further you need to place the device. And also it is worth considering the distance from the floor, which should be at least 70 centimeters. Try to place the TV away from batteries and direct sunlight.
Do not think that the further a person is from the screen, the better for vision. Excessive distance of the TV from the viewer will lead to other complications that will affect eye health. So, ophthalmologists found that:
- If you move the TV screen very far, then it begins to occupy a rather small space in the field of view and the person constantly focuses his gaze on one point. Prolonged immobility of the eyeballs leads to a decrease in the production of tear fluid and discomfort.
- It is quite difficult for a person to see small details at a great distance from the screen. You have to strain your eyes too much to see them. This leads to overwork of the eye muscles, which are responsible for the accommodation of the lens. It is this factor that contributes to the formation of myopia.
A small screen is suitable for small rooms, since it will be more difficult for the eyes to view the picture shown on it from a distance
Each TV model has a diagonal designation. In imported versions, it is indicated in inches, in domestic versions, sometimes in centimeters. To calculate the optimal distance from the screen, you need to convert inches to Centimeters and multiply by five (one inch equals 2.54 cm). Of course, it is not necessary to calculate this value to centimeters, you can use the table with the optimal data for the most common TV sizes. For simplicity, the measurements shown have been rounded.
- rarely break;
- serve for a long time;
- easy to operate and repair.
These TVs are quite large in size and require significant space in the apartment. Their screen consists of cathode-ray tubes (CRT) and constantly flickers, although it is invisible to the human eye. It is because of this that it is believed that these TVs are quite harmful to vision. And also in CRT monitors there is an electromagnetic field, which is strong enough and can be harmful. Doctors do NOT recommend that pregnant women stay close to such a screen, especially behind it, as the rays propagate approximately 1-1.5 meters. Among other things, these TVs emit weak radiation, which is undoubtedly a big disadvantage.
CRT-screen TVs are outdated enough to date, moreover, they have strong electromagnetic radiation
How does the diagonal of a TV affect the viewer’s distance from the screen?
The distance to the TV directly depends on the diagonal and type of display. A few years ago, hardly anyone wondered how far the device was from a sofa or bed, but today, when the dimensions of home TVs reach impressive dimensions, the question becomes relevant. Many buyers want to buy the largest TV that can fit into the environment. In order for viewing to be comfortable for a long time, and not to harm the eyesight of adults or children, the distance from the eyes to the center of the screen must be correctly selected, depending on the resolution and the size of the diagonal of the TV in inches.
Specification Based Recommendations
What do the very technologies give a person? Their use has taken televisions to the next level. Today 4K resolution is confidently conquering the market, even 8K TVs appear. Such standards of clarity allow viewing the image from a very close distance, while there will be no noticeable pixels. only a clear and maximally realistic picture. Accordingly, the recommendations for watching 4K TVs take this fact into account and make some adjustments to the rules discussed above.
Full HD or UHD 4K TVs (both flat and curved) allow you to significantly reduce viewing distance to a minimum and completely immerse yourself in the atmosphere of a movie or game. Thus, a device with a screen diagonal of more than 32 inches will fit well into a small room. For more specificity, you can give a small summary table, in which TV manufacturers indicate from what distance you can watch their brainchild without burdening your eyes.
|Diagonal size in inches||Full HD (1080h, 1080i)||UHD 4K|
In the first case, the size of the diagonal is multiplied by 1.6, and in the second, by 0.8. Thus, it is not difficult to calculate the optimal distance for any panel size. For example, with a diagonal of 32 inches, the indicators will be 1.3 and 0.7 m, respectively.
General rules and some amendments
Naturally, there are some strict limits on this, there are only some rules and recommendations at what distance you need to watch TV. Previously, it was believed that the distance from the screen to the eyes should be equal to three to four diagonal. So, if the diagonal is 32 inches (80 cm), then the person should be at a distance of 2.4. 3.2 m, and it is permissible to slightly increase the larger indicator. The range allows you to choose the most comfortable position.
Such calculations of the correct distance from a person to the TV screen lay down on the use of CRT TVs, taking into account their diagonal. Rounded or flat monitors quickly tired the eyes and lacked any advanced technology. The same applies to TVs with a resolution of up to 720p. Modern plasma or LCD displays have higher parameters.
Plasma has similar characteristics to LCD TVs and in terms of distance from the viewer, panel installation is no different. Projectors, in turn, allow you to adjust the screen size, but in the plane for the image you have to take care in advance.
Formulas for calculating the optimal distance
Comfortable viewing directly depends on the size of the TV-panel diagonal and the distance of viewers from the big screen. The larger the TV screen, the further the viewer needs to sit. It is important that the image fully enters the field of view of the eye and the sound is heard.
To determine the optimal position of the screen Some rules have been developed.
- For a home screen, a person’s angle of view should be within 36-70 °. THX recommends that a 40 ° viewing angle is provided for optimal viewer involvement in a home theater system. Based on this value, the distance from the screen is calculated taking into account the diagonal length of the TV panel. To view content on panels with a diagonal of 60. 90 inches, the viewer needs to be located at a distance of about 18.104.22.168 meters from the screen.
- The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers’ SMPTE standard is based on a fixed 30 ° viewing angle. Based on this regulation, the distance to the 65-70 inch screen should be about 2.74 meters.
- The CNET calculation formula regulates the safe distance of the viewer from the screen. The distance should not be less than the value equal to 1.5 TV-panel diagonal. For a 72-inch TV, the viewing distance should be 2.74 meters.
Important note! All 3 standards regulate the safety and comfort of viewing content in a home theater. LCD TV panels are less eye-fatiguing due to their high viewing angle characteristics and the absence of glare. Therefore, the TV distance determined according to THX, SMPTE and CNET regulations can be reduced to 1.7 meters.
As you can see from the above, it is quite easy to calculate at what distance it is permissible to place the TV panel. Although the indicators are approximate, they highlight the basic framework, which are easy to adjust without harm to the layout of the room. It is also worth considering at what height the TV panel will hang.
The latest technologies have improved the matrix and allow you to relieve unnecessary strain on the eyes, even if you watch several films in a row, the user’s condition does NOT deteriorate significantly. But we must not forget that the cervical spine is also involved when viewing. Several fundamental points can be distinguished, based on the recommendations of medical specialists.
- Too close a distance creates a strain on muscles and joints that is difficult to control when watching with passion.
- The distant location will have a negative effect on the spine as well as on the eyes, forcing to look closely at every detail.
- When installing a TV, it is important to consider Not only the distance at which you can watch it, but also the height, tilt angle.
- Medical standards DO NOT recommend watching TV for more than 1.5-2 hours for adults, 1-1.5 hours for adolescents, and preschoolers are allowed to spend up to 15 minutes a day watching TV.
we can conclude that it is the diagonal that determines the optimal distance from which it is permissible to watch TV. Simple calculations will help you navigate correctly when choosing a new model or redeveloping a room. It is worth remembering that modern models can be mounted on the wall using various brackets, thus adjusting their position and viewing angle.
Correct position at the computer
When using a computer, a number of fundamental rules must be observed in order to prevent many negative conditions:
- you need to sit upright, on a chair with a back, in case a person gets tired, you can lean on it;
- the neck and back are straight, this prevents the formation of stoop and osteochondrosis;
- the chair should be pushed to the table on which the computer is located, the person should NOT bend over to reach it;
- it is recommended to select NOT an ordinary chair, but a special worker with a soft back;
- the chairman is kept straight, his eyes look directly at the computer monitor, and there is no need to bend, look up or, conversely, down;
- the table should be like a work or kitchen table, you cannot use high racks or low desks, in the first case a person will have to raise his head, and in the second. bend over the computer;
- legs must be lowered to the floor to maintain normal blood circulation throughout the body;
- while typing, there is a need to bend over the keyboard, you can move it or the entire laptop so that you don’t have to bend your shoulders;
- to give yourself a warm-up, you can periodically get up and walk, concentrating your gaze on distant objects.
What distance from the monitor to the eyes should be
During the use of the computer, there is an enhanced effect on the organs of vision.
Eyes become strained, the risk of accommodation spasm increases.
This is due to many factors that can be lowered or completely eliminated by observing a number of fundamental rules. It is necessary to use the correct distance from the computer to the eyes so that the glow from the monitor affects the visual organs less.
Distance table depending on screen diagonal
Using electronic gadgets, a person does NOT suspect that it is necessary to observe the minimum distance to them. This parameter depends on the screen diagonal. For example, if a person uses a telephone, it can be brought closer to the eyes. If it is a widescreen format, the person who comes close to the monitor risks their eyes.
As a result, ophthalmologists have developed a table in which the minimum distance is calculated.
The required distance from the monitor increases gradually. If there is an error of several centimeters, this does not mean that vision will decrease.
High-quality and properly configured monitor
To preserve the function of the organs of vision, it is necessary not only to sit correctly in front of the computer, the apparatus itself must be configured. The monitor should NOT be too faint, nor should it be bright. Its illumination should be proportional to artificial or daylight in the room.
There should be no reflections on the screen, which would make it difficult to view images.
The monitor screen should be parallel to the human body. But it should not be tilted back or forward, so the person will need to change the position of the body, which is not recommended.
It is recommended to select the parameters for the monitor according to the need for its application. If a person works on it or learns on a daily basis, it should be small. The larger the monitor is, the farther it must sit from it. Therefore, small screens are applicable for permanent work.
At what distance from the monitor you need to work so that your vision does not deteriorate. Basic rules for the prevention of visual impairment
1. Organization of the workplace. Your workplace lighting should be as natural as possible and fall from the left of the monitor to avoid eye fatigue.
2. Make sure that the monitor does not have glare from windows, if present, eliminate the outgoing light. Cover the window or lower the blinds. Adjust the brightness and dim the screen contrast. It should be a little light in the working area of the computer, the use of table lamps is unacceptable.
3. The text on the screen should NOT be too small or even colored.
4. The distance between the eyes and the working surface of the monitor should be at least 60 cm.
5. Rest plays an important role. After working at the computer for an hour, take a ten minute break for your eyes. You can close your eyes or look at a neutral point such as a wall.
6. The choice of a monitor is also a very important point. The monitor, if possible, should be 22 inches in diagonal, have a matte matrix to avoid glare, and the scanning frequency should be 75-100 Hz.
7. The monitor should be slightly above eye level, then the eye muscles should not be strained.
8. Periodically visit the optometrist, at least once a year.
- At what distance from the monitor you need to work in order not to impair vision
- How far to install the monitor
- How to restore vision after a computer
If you want to work at a computer and at the same time will not plant your eyesight, it is important to remember and follow a few simple rules. First of all, you must NOT forget that spending a long time at the monitor screen causes eye fatigue, redness, and subsequently, decreased vision. Everyone knows that decreased visual acuity leads to the need to wear glasses or contact lenses, which causes a lot of inconvenience in everyday life.
Exercise for the eyes
Close your eyes tightly and try to rest, relax. Make circular motions with your eyes open, then look left and right. Move your eyes in a straight line up, down, and then left and right. Blink a little, and much more intensely than usual, about 50-60 times.
Next, close your eyes, put your palms on them and try to achieve deep darkness, while trying to Tighten your eye muscles. Without opening your eyes, lead them to the right, then to the left. Repeat the last several times.
Go to the window. Look at an object located close to you, then look in the distance, Try to do the same in the distance.
To prevent vision loss, the body simply needs vitamins. It is required to include in the diet more vegetables and fruits, namely carrots. It has substances such as A-carotene, which strengthen the retina. It should be remembered that for better absorption of carrots, fats are needed, so after eating a meal with carrots, eat a piece of butter. Also, doctors advise eating black currants and blackberries.
Under normal circumstances, a person blinks about twenty times per minute, and looking at the monitor, about two, or even three times less often. From this, the eye dries up and turns red. Drying out the eye contributes to the development of myopia. Try the morgue more often when you are sitting at the monitor, although it is not very convenient to use, but effective for prevention.
Remember and Apply these tips. Reduced vision, like other diseases, is better to prevent in a timely manner than to cure for a long time. Cherish your vision, because it was given to us once.
The number of dots on the monitor image is another feature. The more of them, the better the quality of the broadcast picture. In addition, the increase in pixels leads to an increase in the distance between the person and the screen. At one time, this pattern was called the angular resolution effect. But this rule applies only when the distance from the viewer to the TV monitor coincides with the recommendations indicated in the table above.
Best high resolution screens (pixel):
- HD (1280×720) or HD Ready (1366×720);
- Full HD (1920×1080);
- 4K (from 3840×2160).
What TV diagonal is better to choose? It is worth paying attention to the difference between an LCD screen and a plasma. The number of dots on the image of the plasma monitor is greater than in the LCD. And this is possible even with the same size of both screens. It is better to place the plasma panel away from the viewer in order to provide convenient, health-free viewing.
The table below will help you calculate the distance depending on the size of the Screen Panel:
For 4K (screen diagonal varies from 49 “and above) a separate plate is presented:
To independently calculate the very distance that will be comfortable for all family members, it is enough to carry out the calculation using the aLGorithm below.
For the calculation, it is necessary: The number of points (pixels) of the screen image is multiplied by the unit area (measured in advance). the distance from the viewer to the monitor.
Important: A considerable distance leads to the fact that the human eye is NOT able to take into account individual pixels. the picture merges and the perception of the image becomes identical to HD or even SD. But buying a screen that is too small also does not bring comfort. the viewer does not catch the details in the image well.
Distance to TV
How to choose the diagonal of the TV depending on its distance from the viewer? What is considered the norm? Most moviegoers prefer oversized TV monitors, such as LCD models. But more is not always better. When choosing a large TV panel, you need to take into account in which room and in what place it will stand.
If a family with a child lives in a small apartment with small rooms, it is not recommended to buy a 55-inch LCD model ( “). A TV panel with parameters from 32 “up to 40”, as TCL 40DS500.
The distance from the viewer to the TV affects the size of the diagonal. The larger it is, the further you need to be located for comfortable viewing of TV programs.
Important: So that the eyes do NOT strain, and the properties of the picture do NOT change during broadcast, the best minimum distance is considered to be indicators of 3-4 diagonals.
A handy sign pointer will help you determine the same normal distance for different screen options:
Reminder: The diagonal is calculated only in inches. 1 inch is 2.54 cm.
Optimal TV diagonal. a 3-point guide in choosing a screen size
It’s not easy to get the right TV diagonal. Indeed, in the future, the quality of the displayed picture directly depends on the error-free choice. Making the right decisions in relation to a particular model is necessary based on a number of criteria. Among them: the distance from the viewing site to the screen, resolution and area of the room where the TV monitor will actually be located. How to determine all the indicators and what advice is worth heeding. further.
How to choose the diagonal of the TV depending on the room
If we are talking about a small living room or bedroom (up to 24 sq.m.), the optimal purchase would be an LCD screen from 40 “up to 55” with 4K support.
If the buyer wants to equip a cinema hall in a large room, everything will be limited only by his money. How many inches in the model you like is practically irrelevant. But you also need to remember the fact that with a distance of more than 5 meters from the viewer to the screen, it makes no sense to buy a 4K device. This is not an appropriate distance, given that the eyes will still NOT be able to recognize pixels.
Here is the choice of TV diagonal (for example, LG 32LM6300PLA) directly depends on its location in the room, including at what distance the viewer’s eyes will be from the monitor. Comfort. This is not the only goal to be achieved after purchase. The safety of all family members is important. Resolution, room area. subtleties You need to know. I took simple calculations as a basis, and also Having studied the proposals from the manufacturers, you can safely prefer the diagonal, which will satisfy all the wishes of the moviegoer.