How to bring laptop screen to TV
You can also transfer images from your laptop to your TV via USB. But if we are talking about video, then immediately discard this option, since it does not imply the transfer of video content. Images, various presentations, documents. don’t count on more.
LAN is the port used to transfer the Internet connection. This option is suitable if the TV is not equipped with a Wi-Fi module. The whole thing is connected in this way:
- Connect the TV to a router with the Internet using a network cable.
- Do the same with your laptop. Here you can also connect via Wi-Fi. it does not matter, the main thing is that to the same network with the TV.
- On the laptop, you will need to install the appropriate software for broadcasting. The Home Media Server application will do. He has a fairly SIMple installation, understandable at an intuitive level.
- Allow to use the necessary folders by opening access to them.
Done. Enjoy the picture from laptop to TV.
The disadvantage of this connection is the lack of sound when pairing. To make the sound appear, you can use an adapter with “tulips”, or all the same mini-jack. In order not to bother with audio, the sound is left on the laptop by connecting speakers to it. Also possible through the built-in laptop speakers.
Expands and translates as “Red Green Blue”. This connector is calculated as a replacement for SCART, since it is already quite outdated and modern manufacturers have abandoned its use. But RGB hasn’t gone far either. it’s more common on older TVs. Can be combined with all the same SCART or “tulips”.
All methods of transferring images from a laptop to a TV screen
A laptop is an irreplaceable thing both in terms of convenience and quality of work. With the characteristics of a desktop computer, it can cover almost all needs. Doing work, watching movies and even playing computer games. However, not all of this will be as comfortable as possible.
Television broadcasts are increasingly fading into the background, leaving only memories. Whether it is the progressive Internet. Videos, new movies, foreign TV series. everything is clickable. Having learned that it is possible to display an image from a laptop on a TV, many people are delighted, but after a couple of seconds they immediately ask the question: “How to do this?” That is why this article was created. Read, plug and enjoy the large diagonal.
Not the smartest way to connect, as the quality of the transmitted image is poor. It broadcasts video files of 576i and 480i definition, which is certainly not enough if we talk about modern formats. over, an S-Video to RCA adapter is also required. Sound is not supported, SIMilar with DVI. For its appearance, use the mini-jack connector.
Determine available ports
This is the initial action to be taken. See what common connectors the devices have. If there are several of them, you will have to choose. The quality of the picture and sound depends on the connection method, so you need to know the advantages of each of the ports. You will find the characteristics of each below.
Apple has taken care of its users and implemented AirPlay technology into its services. What is its essence? With it, you can easily and quickly transfer a picture from a laptop to a TV. In just a couple of minutes. Windows computers do not have this functionality, but you can download a third-party application that replaces it. The program is called AipParrot. You can install it for free.
- Go to the website. airsquirrels.com/airparrot
- Next to the button “12.99” there is another. “TRY”. Click on it.
- Click on Windows version.
- Download the program by clicking on “Download”.
- A window will pop up. Click “Save”.
- Go to the program.
But there is an alternative way:
- Install iTunes on the official Apple website.
- Open the File menu and include the displayed collection.
- The AirPlay icon appears in the video player.
TVs manufactured according to modern standards have DLNA technology. Its essence lies in the ability to transfer data within the home network. This is done not only by cable, but also by Wi-Fi. In the second case, both devices must be connected to the network.
By default, TV can only use shared folders. To fix this, go to laptop settings and go to “Network”. There, general access to the entire repository is opened. However, in this case, you will lose the security of your information.
So anyone who gets access to your Wi-Fi network can use your data. But you can make one folder “visible”, which is needed at the moment.
Much better and more convenient if the TV is equipped with Miracast technology or Intel WiDi. Turn them on on your TV and you can connect to your laptop wirelessly. This is done as follows:
- On a laptop, right-click on an empty space on the screen.
- A menu will appear in front of you. At the bottom of the list will be the “Display Settings” tab. Click on it.
- In the window that appears, scrolling down the “Displays” menu, find “Connect to a wireless display”. After turning on the mode, a new window will open, it will show all the screens to which you can connect to transfer the image. Select the device you want.
By doing this, the TV display will have the entire laptop desktop, which will allow you to forget about the small resolution of the laptop.
You can transfer a picture from a laptop to a TV using an HDMI cable. First, make sure that the connector is on both devices so as not to make a mistake with the purchase.
After defining the ports, you can connect. This is done like this:
- Insert one end of the wire into the TV and the other into the laptop.
- On the TV remote control, open the menu through which the signal source is determined.
- Select “HDMI”.
Done. Now you need to adjust the resolution on your laptop. When the laptop finds the TV, it will offer two broadcast options. duplicated, split, or using a second screen as the main one.
Done. Now you need to adjust the resolution on your laptop. It so happens that after the connection, the picture is displayed indistinctly. it means that the matter is in the aspect ratio. Go to screen settings and find the optimal settings for your TV.
A rather outdated way of transferring images. When developing this connector, DVI was intended for projecting video files to digital devices. He is the father of HDMI. Only though he is older, he cannot transmit sound. from which it significantly loses its significance. You will need a mini-jack connector to stream audio.
To connect, the instructions from HDMI, which were outlined above, are suitable.
For example, you don’t have a Wi-Fi module, but you have an HDMI port. an additional adapter will help. There are 3 of them to choose from:
- Android Mini PC;
- Google Chromecast;
- Miracast box.
Just plug one of the suggested options into the HDMI connector of your TV.
Ways to display images from a laptop
The connection is divided into wireless and wired. The cable does not always have to be identical on both sides: there are many adapters for different connectors.
The disadvantage of a wireless connection that immediately catches the eye is the possibility of an unstable signal. And in a wired one. the presence of a wire. It can be short or interrupted somewhere inside, from which there will be no connection, and outwardly the cable can be intact. But the disadvantages can be found in absolutely everything, so you should not focus on this, it is better to move on specifically to the methods.
European standard that can carry both digital and analog signals. Audio, video. everything is within his power.
In order to project images from a laptop to a TV, it is better to use a VGA to SCART adapter. There is an explanation for this. SCART is most often found on TVs, and VGA on laptops.
The SCART connector is a standard that allows both digital and analogue signal transmission. Yes, and you can connect a high quality video source to the TV without intermediate coding.
To broadcast a movie on a TV from a laptop, it would be better to use a VGA-SCART adapter. It’s just that many TV models have a SCART connector, and many laptops have VGA.
In general, if we talk about wired ways to project an image from a laptop to a TV, then the most suitable option would, of course, be HDMI, because this standard allows you to transfer high quality video and sound without much time.
How to display an image from a laptop to a TV?
Nowadays, almost everyone in the house has a TV, laptop and personal computer. The presence of such a large number of devices allows each family member to have their own device, which they can use at any time.
But this also opens up possibilities for displaying a picture from one device to another, for example, from a laptop or PC to a TV, because it is more pleasant to watch a movie on a 43-inch monitor than on a 19-inch one. In our article we will learn how to do it correctly.
How to transfer with cable?
First, you need to note that there are two ways to display an image from one device to another:
In the first case, the following technologies are used:
This method of cable connection is considered to be the most optimal today for transferring media data from one device to another. This type of technology makes it possible to transfer files at high speed, and one cable allows you to transfer not only the image, but also high quality sound.
How do you transfer images from a laptop to a TV using this technology? It is enough just to connect a pair of devices together with the appropriate cable. After that, you should turn on AV mode on the TV and find the port where the HDMI cable is connected. And on a laptop, you need to enter the on-screen settings, set the appropriate resolution and configure the correct display of the displays. That is, in fact, it will be possible to control two screens on a laptop. But in general, in such a situation it will be possible to use several modes:
- duplication. the same picture will be displayed on both displays;
- displaying on the screen of one device. then the display of the other device will SIMply turn off and will be in sleep mode;
- screen expansion. in this mode, the TV will become like a second monitor.
This connection standard was developed for the transmission of video images to digital devices. It was HDMI that replaced it. Its main disadvantage is that it does not support audio transmission. For this reason, you will need to use a TRS connector or adapter, it is also a mini-jack. And even more people are familiar with it as a headphone jack. To broadcast an image to a TV screen from a laptop, you will need to carry out almost the same actions as in the case of HDMI. After that, you can start playing any file immediately.
Wireless transmission options
As you can understand, if desired and technical capabilities, you can configure and wireless transmission of images from a laptop to a TV. DLNA connection is one way to do this. To use this technology, the TV must be a Smart TV and have a Wi-Fi module.
If you want to broadcast from a laptop to TV in this way, you will need to:
- connect both devices to the Wi-Fi router, on the TV you will need to specify the access point as the main one and enter the password;
- on a laptop, you need to open the “Network and Sharing Center” section and make a server, and select the home network as the main network;
- now you need to select the files that you want to transfer, for which you need to click on the right mouse button, then enter the “Properties” and open the “Access” tab, now you need to switch the checkbox to the item “Share this folder”;
- now you can open the necessary files on the TV.
Another way how you can project a video signal from a PC to a TV would be a technology called Miracast. In fact, thanks to it, the TV will become a wireless monitor of your PC. The advantage of this method is that the technology does not matter what video stream is broadcast. any video encoded with any codec and packed in any format will be transmitted. Even a file that is write protected will be transferred.
I must say that not all devices have support for this technology. For it to function fully, the equipment must run on an Intel processor. If it is, then to carry out the transfer, you will need to perform a sequential aLGorithm of actions.
- Activate Miracast (WiDi) on the TV. If this function is absent for some reason, then you just need to activate Wi-Fi. If you have a TV from the South Korean brand Samsung, then there is a special key called “Mirroring”.
- Now you need to launch a program called Charms on your computer.
- Here you need to click on the “Devices” button, then select “Projector”. Sometimes this key also has the signature “Send to Screen”.
- If the Miracast technology is supported by the personal computer, then the “Add a wireless display” prompt should appear.
- It remains only to confirm this in order to be able to broadcast the necessary content from a laptop to a TV.
The third format that allows you to implement the problem considered in the article is called S-Video. This interface belongs to the analog type and allows you to transfer video files only in standard quality 576i and 480i, that is, video transmission in HD-, and there is no longer Ultra HD-format. Few TV models have such a port, which is why, in order to make this type of connection, in most cases it will be necessary to get an S-Video. RCA adapter. In addition, there is still a limitation on the length of the cable. Models with a length of more than 2 meters should not be used, due to the fact that the longer the cable length, the lower the signal quality will be. This format also cannot transfer sound. Because of this, SIMilarly with DVI, you will need to use a mini-jack.
But the connection through this connector, although it is easy to make, but the transfer of the image through it is technically impossible. The specified standard was not conceived as a transfer of image and sound. Through it, you can only make the TV recognize the laptop as a flash drive, which will make it possible to view presentations, some text documents and images, but no more.
The only way to somehow use USB to dub a laptop display is to use the HDMI port on the TV as well. Then it will be possible to purchase an external video card, which, in fact, will be an adapter, and install the corresponding driver on the laptop.
Another way to transfer images to a TV from a laptop or computer will be LAN. It is interesting in that it differs significantly from the above methods. LAN is a wired Ethernet type connection. If the TV is not equipped with a Wi-Fi module or there is no technical ability to connect it, then this option is the best solution.
To duplicate a PC image on a TV, you need to follow a certain sequence of steps.
- Connect the TV device to the router using a network type cable. For correct operation, the DHCP protocol must be configured correctly on the router. If this is not done, then you will need to register the network settings directly on the TV manually.
- Now you need to connect a laptop to the same network. And it doesn’t matter how to do it: using a wire or wirelessly.
- A program should be installed on the laptop to output files to the TV. Alternatively, you can use a software called “Home Media Server”. Even a person who does not understand the intricacies of laptop control can customize this program.
- It remains to open shared access to the necessary directories.
Another extremely popular image transfer interface is VGA. Almost any device today is equipped with such a connector. To create such a connection, the laptop and TV must have the appropriate connectors and cable. If all this is there, then you will need to perform the following actions:
- insert the cable into the connectors on both devices;
- turn on the laptop and TV;
- now you need to select VGA as the main signal source;
- on a laptop, you should configure the connection and set a comfortable resolution.
To set it up, you need:
- on an empty place of the desktop, right-click;
- in the context menu find the item “Screen resolution”;
- select the “Screen” menu;
- select the desired image broadcast mode;
- press the “Apply” button to save the changes.
If we talk about recommendations, then first of all the user should clearly understand the characteristics and capabilities of the devices that are at his fingertips. Most often, problems arise due to the fact that users do not know what formats their equipment supports, and therefore often cannot decide on the correct type of connection.
The third aspect will be important for users who use a wireless connection. It consists in the fact that before starting work, you should make sure that the router is working and there is an Internet connection, if we are talking about LAN.
In general, as you can see, there are quite a few ways to transfer images from a laptop to a TV.
How to display an image from a laptop to a TV, see the video below.
You cannot transfer video via USB ports, they are not designed for this type of signal. But you can use such a connector for connection on a laptop, you just need an adapter to HDMI.
How to connect a laptop to a TV directly via USB: in addition to a USB cable, you will need an adapter. a compact external video card that will help you broadcast an image from your desktop. When purchasing it, pay attention to fullHD support and characteristics of the transmitted audio signal. After connecting the devices, install the drivers from the video card on the computer and select on the TV as the USB signal source.
If you bought a modern TV with integrated Wi-Fi, connect your laptop to it wirelessly. But even owners of devices without Smart TV technology can set up a wireless laptop connection through a special adapter. To establish a connection, select one of the methods:
- DLNA. if the TV is connected to a local network router or has Wi-Fi Direct;
- Miracast or WiDi. will help to use TV as a wireless monitor, transmitting any video signal;
- via an adapter;
- Apple TV.
To connect a laptop to a TV via DLNA via Wi-Fi:
- Connect both devices to a single router. In the TV menu, enter the “Network” item and mark your access point as the main one, enter its password.
- Create a server on the PC, making the content available for TV. Set your home network as the active network in the “Network Control Center”.
- Find the folders with the files that you are going to duplicate on the TV screen. Right-click on the folder, open “Properties” and go to the “Access” tab, in the advanced settings activate the opening of access to the content.
To SIMplify the creation of a server will help a special program. “Home Media Server”, Share Manager, Samsung Share. The first one is the most common, it can recode video and audio files, supports subtitles and digital television. For use:
- download the installation file from the developer’s website;
- install and open the application;
- select your TV model in the list;
- mark the folders in the directory, the files from which you are going to transfer to the second screen.
Now turn on TV, in the menu find a service for viewing content from third-party devices. For LG devices, it is located in the SmartShare section, on Sony. Home. To transfer a movie from a computer to a TV via Wi-Fi, click on the desired file on a laptop, in the submenu go to “Play to”.
In Windows 7 and 8, there may be problems with the transfer of video in MKV format, for them the playback function on another display is not activated. To display a picture in this case, you will first have to convert the files to AVI.
If your TV is equipped with Wi-Fi Direct, you just need to enable access to the necessary folders on your laptop. After that, activate Direct in the TV menu. select your laptop in the list of detected devices, enter the password and you can transfer files.
We connect and configure
To set up the connection, you will need to run the cable from the laptop to the TV, having previously disconnected both devices. After switching on in an ideal situation, you will see the picture from the laptop on the TV screen. To switch between displays, use one of the function keys with the dual monitor icon. usually F4 or F5. On the TV, open the list of signal sources, instead of TV, select the name of the port to which you connected the cable. If there is no picture or it is distorted, go to detailed settings.
How to connect a computer with a wire to a TV: by right-clicking on the desktop, start “Screen Settings”, in Windows 8 and earlier the item is called “Resolution”.
Set the correct resolution for each monitor, set the sharing mode:
- duplication. the same picture on both screens, suitable for launching games, distortions may appear if there is a large difference in extensions;
- displaying only one. the second display turns off;
- screen expansion. TV will become the second monitor, expanding the desktop to the left or right (the order depends on the location of displays 1 and 2 in the settings, they can be swapped by dragging). Move any applications to a second monitor by pulling them off the edge of the table. play the movie in the video player on TV while still working on the laptop.
A SIMilar menu can be opened in a laptop by pressing the WinP keys. You will be prompted to choose the option to use the second screen. duplication or expansion.
Miracast and WiDi
For these technologies, you do not have to open access to folders, but a laptop must meet a number of requirements in order to display a picture via Wi-Fi:
- at least Intel 3 processor;
- preinstalled Windows 8.1 or higher with Wi-Fi. for Miracast;
- Intel HD Graphics wireless adapter. for WiDi;
- the TV must support one of these technologies.
How to display laptop image to TV via WiDi: Download and open Intel Wireless Display utility, search for wireless display. To connect, enter the security code shown on TV.
To connect via Miracast in Windows 8.1, open the Charms bar and activate “Projector” in the device list. Choose to add a wireless screen.
How to connect a laptop directly to a TV
By Anastasia Posted on December 6, 2017 Updated on December 27, 2017
It is more convenient to watch movies or photos on a large TV screen than on a compact laptop. If you have a home theater system, watching a new movie will be even more comfortable. You can also run computer games by transferring an image to a TV screen. Let’s figure out how to connect a laptop to a TV. you need a special cable or wireless setup.
Inspect the laptop connectors first. Find one of the video outputs:
- HDMI is a modern interface that allows you to transfer high definition video and audio channel. Not available in budget and older models. The TV may have several ports of this type, in this case, remember the number of the hole into which you insert the wire.
- DVI. digital video output. The signal from it can be easily converted into analog form through an inexpensive adapter. This type of cord will help connect devices that have a DVI or VGA port on one of them.
- VGA is a common connector that transmits only an analog video signal, no sound, the maximum resolution is 1600×1200 pixels. A port of this type on TV is often labeled as PC, you can use a standard computer monitor cable for connection. An additional cord is required for audio transmission.
- S-video is an outdated port, it does not give the best picture quality. Suitable for connecting with old TV, VHS video players.
You should find one of these ports on both your laptop and your TV. They do not have to be of the same type, in the case of different connectors, adapters will come to the rescue.
Connecting a laptop to a TV via cable is easy:
- Determine what video ports your PC and TV have.
- Select connection type.
- Buy the appropriate cable and connect the devices.
- Adjust image transmission.
Likewise, you can connect a TV to a stationary PC system unit, but then the devices must be located close enough to each other so that the cord length is enough.
Apple TV allows you to stream video from your computer to your TV screen. The easiest way is to connect a laptop with Mac OS X, but you can also set up transfer on a Windows PC.
How to connect MacBook: connect Apple TV to TV, connect set-top box to Wi-Fi network. In the PC system settings, select “Displays”, set Apple TV in the list. an image from the laptop will appear on the TV screen. If you want to transfer one movie, launch it in the player, in the bottom menu bar, click on the arrow icon and click on “AirPlay”. Video will go to TV.
For Windows PC, install branded iTunes. In the File menu, activate the Home Sharing item, the AirPlay icon will appear in the player. All movies and music from your library can be transferred to TV.
If your TV doesn’t have Wi-Fi, but does have an HDMI connector, purchase a small adapter like:
- Android Mini PC;
- Google Chromecast;
- Miracast set-top box.
These small devices give your TV the full Smart TV experience. Also, individual TVs allow you to connect a Wi-Fi adapter to their USB port, after which they can go to your home network.
Where is the HDMI input on laptop and TV
On TVs, the connector can be located either on the back or on the side panel. It is not difficult to determine it, since it is unique, and you will not be able to connect another cable there.
The connector is usually labeled, so it is easy to find it. HDMI input on a laptop is also not particularly standardized, so it can be anywhere. But most often found on the back of the device.
How to connect a laptop’s HDMI output to an old TV
Since the standard is young, old TVs are not equipped with these connectors. Therefore, you have to figure out what inputs the TV has, and, based on this, look for an adapter or adapter for HDMI. In fact, there are not so many connectors, and they all differ in the number of contacts and shape. But for all of them there are adapters and adapters. This is what the TV inputs might look like:
Now you can determine which type of connectors is installed on your old TV, and select the appropriate adapter or adapter.
We connect a laptop to a TV via HDMI cable: tips and tweaks
Updated May 26, 2020
The abbreviation HDMI stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface. That is, a high-definition multimedia interface. Physically represents two devices connected with a cable. In our case, a laptop and TV are connected. Naturally, both of them need HDMI ports. Before you display a laptop screen on a TV, it is worth knowing that there are several versions of the interface, and the technology is constantly evolving. Depending on the version, the interface capabilities change in terms of supported resolutions, bandwidth and other parameters.
What to do if the laptop does not connect to the TV via HDMI
Yes, connection problems can arise, but they can and should be dealt with. Consider the two most common cases.
TV does not see laptop via HDMI
There may be few reasons why the TV cannot see the laptop via HDMI either. The first thing that comes to mind is an incorrectly installed signal source. On some models with 2 or more connectors, you can get confused and choose the wrong one. It is worth checking the correctness of the choice. There is also a possibility that HDMI may not work properly due to Smart TV. The situation is rare, but it does happen. It is worth trying to update the software. In all other cases, suspicion can only fall on the cable or the connector itself.
How to set up and enable HDMI on a laptop
If on TV it is enough just to indicate the signal source, then on PC sometimes you have to tweak the connection a little. Before connecting the laptop to the TV, you can select the display type. Usually by default it will just duplicate the source screen. But other types can be specified as well. In versions of Windows 7 and higher, this can be done by pressing the Win P keys. A window will immediately open in which you can select connection options.
Calls up the projector connection menu. There are only 4 of them:
- just a computer. The signal will not be transmitted to TV, but only to the laptop screen;
- duplicate. The TV screen will be exactly the same as the PC screen;
- expand. This type adds another screen on which it will be possible to separately launch, for example, a video or open a website, while another application will be used on a laptop;
- just a projector. The signal will not be repeated on PC, but will only go to TV.
TV resolution usually adjusts automatically. But you can also change it manually in the operating system screen settings.
Setting up audio transmission from laptop to TV
As we know, HDMI is also capable of transmitting sound. But this does not always happen in practice. In order to switch the sound, you need to refer to the sound settings in the operating system. To do this, you just need to right-click on the speaker icon in the notification bar and select “Playback Devices”.
Sound menu in the notification bar. A window will open that will display all possible devices capable of outputting sound. Among them, there must be a connected TV. Right-clicking on it and choosing “Use as default”, we will switch the sound to TV.
Sound settings window.
Connecting laptop to TV via HDMI
There is nothing unusual and complicated in the connection process itself. The only thing, before connecting the laptop to the TV via HDMI, it is advisable to make sure that both versions of the interfaces meet the parameters of the transmitted data.
Setting up your TV for HDMI connection
To switch TV to HDMI signal reception mode, you need to explicitly indicate this in the menu. Usually the remote has buttons like Source or Input. In the TV menu, you need to look for items with the name “Signal Source” or “Datsource”. Naturally, the setup must be done after the HDMI cable is connected to the TV and laptop.
We connect the TV to the laptop using WiDi
First of all, this method is good because it does not require any “sharing” of folders and sharing settings. WiDi technology uses the Wi-Fi standard and SIMply duplicates the picture from the laptop onto the screen of the TV device. True, there are a couple of nuances. You can arrange a connection in this way only if the laptop:
- Assembled on the basis of the third generation Intel processor;
- Equipped with Intel Wi-Fi module;
- Integrated Intel graphics;
- OS. Windows 7, 8, 10.
In some cases, you may also need to install Intel Wireless Display software. As for the TV itself, it must support Miracast (WiDI) technology. Most modern models that are produced from 2012-2013 have this function by default.
The procedure for connecting via WiDi itself includes several stages:
- On the TV, open the Smart Applications or Settings menu, from where you can control the available functions. This can usually be done by pressing the “Smart” or “Home” buttons on the remote.
- Find and select “Screen Share”. On some TV models, there is a separate Miracast / Intels WiDi item in the settings. just look for and activate it. On Samsung TVs, this feature is called Screen Mirroring. If you can’t find a SIMilar section, then just turn on Wi-Fi on the TV device.
- Open Intel Wireless Display on the laptop. If this software is not available by default, then download and install.
- Once launched, the app will automatically scan for wireless displays. The user only needs to select the appropriate option and click “Connect”.
- You may not be able to sync your laptop and TV right away. Often the system asks you to enter a special code that appears on the TV display. Then we wait a few seconds for the connection to complete. That’s all you managed to transfer the image from the laptop to the big screen.
It also happens that you did everything as described above, but the laptop does not see the TV. Then open the Charms-panel on the laptop, click the “Devices” tab. Then select “Projector” and add your wireless screen. We also update the Wi-Fi drivers.
Connecting laptop to TV via Wi-Fi
The size of the laptop screen does not always allow you to comfortably watch videos and photos, play computer games or just surf the Internet. Therefore, many users connect a laptop to a TV. This can be done using a dedicated HDMI cable. Then the screen of the TV device will be like a second monitor to project the image from the laptop. But it’s much easier to connect your laptop to your TV over Wi-Fi. There is no need to place equipment as close to each other as possible, or to connect and hide wires. So today we will tell you about how to connect a laptop to a TV via Wi-Fi in different ways.
We connect the TV to the laptop through special software
You can connect two devices via Wi-Fi to display an image using various programs. Today, there is a lot of all kinds of software for playing content on a TV without using wires. Although the greatest demand is for:
- home media server;
- Samsung Share (has a SIMplified interface, but mostly compatible only with Samsung devices);
- Share Manager.
And of all these programs, the home media server is the most stable application in operation. In addition, it fits almost all TV models from different manufacturers. Using a home media server as an example, we will tell you how to display an image from a laptop on TV:
- We download the distribution kit for free from the official website of the developer. http://www.homemediaserver.ru
- Installing the program on a laptop.
- We launch it. A table will appear listing the various devices. In this list, you need to choose the one to which the content will be transmitted. That is, we look for and click on your TV model. Click the “Next” button.
- The program will offer to share certain folders. By default, these are “Videos”, “Music”, “Pictures”. However, you can manually specify other folders where you store your movies or photos so that you can later watch them on the TV screen. Just click on the right button “Add” with a big green plus.
- Then we confirm the scanning procedure. Click “Ok” and “Finish”.
Now the various content that you have specified in the home media server program will be displayed on the big TV screen.
Other SIMilar applications work on the same principle. So there shouldn’t be any difficulties in using them. So you learned how to connect a laptop to a TV via a wireless Wi-Fi network using special software.
We connect a TV with Smart TV technology to a laptop
Most modern TV devices are equipped with a function that allows you to access interactive content. Due to this, you can easily display a variety of information from the Internet on the TV screen. movies, videos, music, games, blogs, etc. This technology is called Smart.
The most common and advanced platforms are Samsung Smart TV and LG Smart TV. Other manufacturers, such as Sony, Philips, Panasonic, Thomson, etc., are actively introducing this technology.
So we will connect such a TV with Smart TV to a laptop. This is done as follows:
- We connect both laptop and TV to one wireless point. For example, to a router. You already know how to do this on a laptop. So let’s start with the TV. We turn on the device and, using the remote control, go to the settings. We find a section called “Network” (or something SIMilar).
- Turn on the Wi-Fi adapter. Select from the list the access point to which the laptop is already connected. All two devices are connected to the same network.
- Next, we set up a DLNA server. Sounds scary and incomprehensible? Do not be afraid. In fact, we just open network access to folders with video and other content. This is done on a laptop. The first step is to go to the “Network Control Center”. In the “View active networks” section, change the public network to a private (home) one.
- Now we need to “share” a specific directory. For example, you want to watch a movie on TV that is stored on your laptop‘s hard drive. Then we find the folder “My Videos”. Right-click on it.
- In the window that appears, select the “Access” section. From there we go to the item “Advanced setting”. Here, at the very top, we set a checkmark opposite “Share this folder”. Then we press “apply” and “ok”.
- There is another way to enable sharing. Open Windows Explorer, select “Network”. We find the message “Network discovery and file sharing are disabled.” Click on it and follow the instructions of the assistant.
- After DLNA is turned on, we take the remote from the TV. In the device menu, we are looking for an item dedicated to viewing the contents of various external connected sources. Let’s say it’s called “Home” on Sony TVs. There are films, pictures or music. All that remains is to select the desired content from your computer. If it is LG, then you need to find the “SmartShare” section and click “View PC content”.
If you have configured everything correctly, then you can start movies in two clicks. Just “highlight” any video file on your laptop, click on it with the auxiliary mouse button and select “Play on…”. In the list that opens, you just need to click on your TV model. For example, Sony Bravia KDL-42W817B. Then the broadcast on the big screen will start automatically.
What to do if the TV does not have a Wi-Fi module?
Wireless connection with a laptop via Wi-Fi is not possible if there is no special module. For example, it is absent on older TV devices that were released more than 5 years ago. Naturally, without a cable, a laptop cannot be connected to such a TV. How to be? We’ll have to use additional devices.
For example, an adapter can help expand the capabilities of your TV. It is usually plugged into the HDMI port. What SIMilar gadgets can we recommend? It:
- Google Chromecast;
- Android Mini PC;
- Compute Stick;
- Miracast adapter.
All of the above adapters will allow you to establish a wireless connection and transfer images from your laptop to your TV.