How to change display settings on Windows 10
How to change the screen timeout using the “Control Panel
Open Classic Control Panel, in the View drop-down list, select Small Icons and then select Power Options.
In the “Power Options” window, click on the link Set the display to turn off
Then, in the “Change scheme settings” window, in the Turn off display drop-down list: select after what time of computer inactivity to turn off the display (minutes, hours or never) and click the Save changes button.
How to change the screen timeout using Windows Settings
To change the screen timeout, open the Settings app by clicking the Start button on the taskbar and then selecting Settings or by pressing the I.
In the “Options” window that opens, select System.
Then select the Power & Sleep tab. and in the right part of the window in the “Display” section, in the drop-down list When powered from the mains, turn off after and When powered on battery turn off after (for laptops and tablets), select after what time the computer is inactive to turn off the screen (minutes, hours or never).
How to change the screen timeout in Windows 10
This article shows you the steps you can take to change the screen timeout in Windows 10.
Almost all modern monitors have energy saving features that turn off the screen after a period of inactivity of the computer. Enabling this feature reduces electricity consumption. Energy saving features are automatically used by the operating system during its installation, but this depends on the correct definition of the monitor by the operating system and the installation of all required drivers.
Also, energy saving is especially important for mobile devices (laptops, tablets). By setting the screen to turn off when the computer is idle, you can save battery power and extend battery life.
By default, the computer inactivity time after which the screen (display) turns off is 10 (5) minutes, but if necessary, you can change it.
How to change the screen timeout using advanced power options
To change the screen timeout in this way, press the R key combination, in the Run window that opens, enter (copy and paste) control powercfg.cpl ,, 1 and click OK.
In the Power Options window, select Screen Turn off screen after, then set the desired time and click OK.
Using the steps above, you can change the computer inactivity time after which the screen (display) turns off on a device with Windows 10.
What to do if the screen blinks
Frequent screen blinking in Windows 10 can be caused by two problems:
- using outdated video adapter drivers;
- incompatibility of the software application installed on the computer and system requirements.
The problem is less common than when Windows 10 was just beginning to spread.
To fix the error, you need to find out if the driver or software application is the source that creates the screen blinking. To resolve the problem and restore normal operation of the display and video adapter, use the following method:
- Right click on the “Taskbar”.
- Click on the “Task Manager” line. In the menu, click on the line “Task Manager”
- Check for blinking in the Task Manager pane. If the panel blinks along with the screen, then the reason is in the old video adapter driver. If this does not happen, then the reason is in some of the installed software applications. Check for blinking of the Task Manager panel
- Double-click the Control Panel icon on the Desktop. On the “Desktop” double click on the “Control Panel” icon
- Click on the “Administration” icon in the “All Control Panel Items” window. Click on the “Administration” icon
- Double-click on Computer Management in the Administrative Tools window. Double click on “Computer Management”
- Expand the Event Viewer tab in the Computer Management window. Expand the Event Viewer tab
- Expand the Windows Logs tab. Expand the Windows Logs directory
- Check Application and System tabs for errors.
- If a software application compatibility error is found in the Application tab, uninstall it. Then download the latest version of the application from the developer’s website and install it on your hard drive. Click on the Application tab and check for errors
- If an error in the System tab indicates that an updated video adapter driver is required, perform the replacement operations in the same way as for the software application. Click on the System tab and check for errors
Adjust display settings on a Windows 10 computer, laptop, or tablet
During the development of Windows 10, Microsoft changed the familiar experience of Display Settings. It has become SIMpler, allowing users to make various settings intuitively. Determination of the optimal screen parameters occurs already during the installation of the system in automatic mode. All that remains is to configure them for a specific user, if the need arises. The parameters set should correspond to the maximum capabilities of the display screen and video adapter. This achieves the clearest drawing of graphics and colors.
What to do if apps or games don’t open in full screen
All modern programs automatically adjust to the screen size. If you install an application or game that was developed many years ago for old Windows editions, then they can be deployed in a reduced size. In this case, it becomes necessary to expand them to full screen. There are several ways to solve this problem:
- Application of “hot” keys:
- press the Alt and Enter keys on the keyboard at the same time;
- the application will expand to full screen;
- when you press the keys again, the application will return to its previous state.
Select the required Windows edition
Screen Resolution Setting
Setting up the screen on a Windows 10 personal computer, tablet or laptop is not a big deal for any user. Its interface is SIMple and intuitive, which allows you to modify the screen to your liking in a few mouse clicks. To configure:
- Left-click on the “Start” button.
- Click on the “Parameters” icon. From the Start menu, click on the Settings icon
- Click on the “System” icon in the “Options” window. In the “Options” window, click on the “System” icon
- Open the “Display” tab. Review your screen options
- Check your screen resolution. It must match the recommended device resolution.
- If the resolution is set correctly, then click on the “Graphics adapter properties” button. Click on the “Graphics adapter properties” button
- Make sure that your adapter is selected in the “Adapter type” tab. Check if the video adapter is installed correctly
- Close “Graphics adapter properties” by clicking “OK”.
- Change your screen resolution if necessary.
- Close the system settings window.
- Screen setup complete.
The rest of the screen parameters can be adjusted as needed.
Calibrating the touchscreen on Windows 10 tablets
You must calibrate the touchscreen to ensure that your tablet responds well to finger touches. If the device is not calibrated, then instead of the pressed letters, others will appear on the screen or the image will rotate one hundred and eighty degrees.
To calibrate the touchscreen, follow these steps:
- Open “Control Panel”.
- Tap the “Tablet PC Settings” shortcut.
- Press the Calibrate key. Touch the “Calibrate” key
- Answer Yes to the User Account Control request.
- The calibration program starts.
- In the program window, touch the areas marked with a cross on the touch screen.
- Apply changes.
- Reboot your tablet.
- If the calibration is completed with errors, then press “Reset” and repeat the calibration.
Changing the screen brightness using the battery gauge in the taskbar
Laptops and tablets have a battery indicator on the taskbar, which can also be used to change the screen brightness:
- Left-click on the battery charge indicator. Click on the battery indicator
- Click on the tile for changing the screen brightness. Adjust the screen brightness
- You can change the brightness level at fixed values from 0 to 100% in 25% steps.
- Click on the Power & Sleep Settings tab. Click on the Power & Sleep Settings tab
- Click on the line “Additional power settings” in the right side of the opened “Settings” window. Click on the “Advanced Power Options” tab
- In the “Power supply” window, set the required brightness using the “Screen brightness” slider. Adjust the screen brightness level with the slider
- Click on the Power Scheme Setup tab. Click on the Power Scheme Setup tab
- In the opened panel “Changing the scheme parameters” using the “Adjust brightness” slider, achieve its optimal level when powered from the mains and from the battery. Adjust brightness on AC and battery power
Via keyboard buttons
After examining the shortcut keys, that is, from F1 to F12, you can find the button responsible for adjusting the brightness. Click or hold it to get the result.
Use shortcut keys to adjust brightness
Through screen capabilities
Look for brightness control buttons on your monitor and use them to increase or decrease the light. But note that these buttons are not present on all monitor models. If not, use the methods below.
Use monitor buttons to adjust brightness
Disabling sleep mode and turning off the monitor
By default, if there is no user action for 15 minutes, the computer turns off the monitor. After another 15 minutes of inactivity, the system goes to sleep. This is to save energy. However, the power saving function can be deactivated or adjusted:
- While in the system parameters, select the “System” section, and in it the “Power and sleep mode” subsection.
Open the Power & Sleep section
Set the time to turn off the monitor and go to sleep
Find the tab in the search bar of the Start menu
Set the option to “No”
Through system parameters
Open system settings
Click on the “System” block
Move the slider to change brightness
Windows 10 tablet or digital pen users may experience that the system does not quite correctly respond to finger or stylus taps. In this case, you need to resort to screen calibration:
- From the Control Panel, go to the Tablet PC Settings tab. Click on the “Calibrate” button.
Click on the “Calibrate” button
Click on the indicated locations to calibrate the screen
By clicking on the battery icon or the message icon, you will see the “Brightness” block. Use it to find the brightness level you want.
Click on the battery icon and change the brightness
Games don’t open in full screen
Some games may open in a window by default instead of full screen. If you want to fix this, there are two ways. The first is to use the Alt Enter combination, which gives the command to stretch the active window to full screen, the second is to go into the settings of the game itself and set the value “Open in full screen mode”. Usually, the second method works 100%, the game either opens immediately to full screen, or does it after restarting.
Turn on full screen mode in game settings
The number and density of pixels involved in displaying a picture depends on the screen resolution. Each monitor model has its own recommended resolution value, it can be found in the instructions for the monitor or by enumerating all the resolutions suggested by the system:
- Right-click on an empty space on the desktop and select “Display Settings”.
Select the “Screen Options” section
Select the appropriate resolution and confirm your changes
Through power settings
- In the system search bar, write “Power supply” and open the proposed page.
Open the Power Options tab
Click on the “Power Scheme Settings” button
Adjust brightness in power options
Options for changing Windows 10 display settings
There are two main methods that allow you to customize the display of the OS. system and hardware. In the first case, all changes are made through the built-in Windows 10 settings window, and in the second, by editing the values in the control panel of the graphics adapter. The latter method, in turn, can be divided into three subsections, each of which belongs to the most popular brands of video cards. Intel, Amd and NVIDIA. They all have almost identical settings except for one or two options. We will describe each of the methods mentioned below in all details.
Windows 10 Screen Customization Guide
The Windows screen is the primary means of user interaction with the operating system. It is not only possible, but also necessary to adjust, since the correct configuration will reduce eye strain and facilitate the perception of information. This article will show you how you can customize your screen in Windows 10.
Using Windows 10 system settings
Let’s start with the most popular and widely available method. Its advantage over others is that it is applicable absolutely in any situation, no matter what video card you are using. The Windows 10 screen is configured in this case as follows:
- Press the “Windows” and “I” keys on the keyboard at the same time. In the “Parameters” window that opens, left-click on the “System” section.
Then you will automatically find yourself in the desired subsection “Display”. All subsequent actions will take place in the right part of the window. All devices (monitors) that are connected to the computer will be displayed in its upper area.
In order to make changes to the settings of a specific screen, just click on the desired device. By clicking the “Define” button, you will see a number on the monitor that matches the schematic display of the monitor in the window.
The next block will allow you to configure the “Night Light” function. It allows you to turn on an additional color filter, thanks to which you can comfortably look at the screen at night. If you enable this option, the screen will change its color to a warmer one at the specified time. By default, this will happen at 21:00.
By clicking on the line “Night light parameters” you will be taken to the page for setting this very light. There you can change the color temperature, set a specific time to turn on the function, or activate it immediately.
If necessary, you can change the scale of everything that you see on the monitor. over, the value changes both upward and vice versa. A special drop-down menu is responsible for this.
An equally important option is the screen resolution. Its maximum value directly depends on which monitor you are using. If you do not know the exact numbers, we advise you to trust Windows 10. Select the value from the drop-down list next to which is the word “recommended”. Optionally, you can even change the orientation of the image. Often this parameter is used only if you need to flip the picture at a certain angle. In other situations, you can leave it alone.
In conclusion, we would like to mention an option that allows you to customize the display of an image when using multiple monitors. You can display the image both on a specific screen, and on both devices. To do this, just select the required parameter from the drop-down list.
Using the suggested tips, you can easily customize the screen using standard Windows 10 tools.
Change graphics card settings
In addition to the built-in tools of the operating system, you can also customize the screen through a special video card control panel. The interface and its contents depend solely on which graphics adapter the picture is displayed through. Intel, AMD or NVIDIA. We will divide this method into three small sub-items, in which we will briefly describe the related settings.
For Intel graphics card owners
- Right-click on the desktop and select the “Graphic characteristics” line from the context menu.
In the window that opens, click LMB on the “Display” section.
In the left part of the next window, select the screen whose parameters you want to change. The right area contains all the settings. First of all, you should specify the permission. To do this, click on the corresponding line and select the required value.
Next, you can change the refresh rate of the monitor. For most devices, it is 60 Hz. If the screen supports a higher frequency, it makes sense to install it. Otherwise, leave everything as default.
If necessary, Intel settings allow you to rotate the screen by multiples of 90 degrees, and also scale it according to user preferences. To do this, just turn on the “Select proportions” parameter and adjust them with special sliders to the right.
If you need to change the color parameters of the screen, then go to the tab, which is called “Color”. Next, open the “Basic” subsection. In it, using special controls, you can adjust the brightness, contrast and gamma. If you changed them, do not forget to click the “Apply” button.
In the second subsection “Advanced” you can change the hues and saturation of the image. To do this, you need to set the mark on the regulator strip to an acceptable position again.
For NVIDIA graphics card owners
- Open the “Control Panel” of the operating system in any way known to you.
Learn more: Open Control Panel on a Windows 10 PC
Activate the “Large icons” mode for a more comfortable perception of information. Then go to the “NVIDIA Control Panel”.
On the left side of the window that opens, you will see a list of available sections. In this case, you only need those that are in the “Display” block. Going to the first subsection “Change Resolution”, you can specify the desired pixel value. Here, if you wish, you can change the refresh rate of the screen.
Next, you need to adjust the color component of the picture. To do this, go to the next subsection. It allows you to adjust the color settings for each of the three channels, as well as add or decrease the intensity and hue.
In the “Display Rotation” tab, as the name suggests, you can change the screen orientation. It is enough to select one of the four proposed items, and then save the changes by clicking the “Apply” button.
The section “Adjusting size and position” contains options that are related to scaling. If you do not have any black bars on the sides of the screen, these options can be left unchanged.
The last feature of NVIDIA Control Panel that we want to mention in this article is setting up multiple monitors. You can change their position relative to each other, as well as switch the display mode in the section “Setting up multiple displays”. For those who use only one monitor, this section will be useless.
For owners of Radeon graphics cards
- Right click on the desktop, and then select the line “Radeon Settings” from the context menu.
A window will appear in which you need to go to the “Display” section.
As a result, you will see a list of connected monitors and the main display parameters. Among them, the blocks “Color temperature” and “Scaling” should be noted. In the first case, you can make the color warmer or colder by turning on the function itself, and in the second, you can change the aspect ratio of the screen if they do not suit you for some reason.
In order to change the screen resolution using the Radeon Settings utility, you must click on the Create button. It is located opposite the line “User permissions”.
Then a new window will appear in which you will see a fairly large number of settings. Please note that, unlike other methods, in this case the values are changed by prescribing the necessary numbers. You need to be careful not to change what you are not sure of. This threatens a software malfunction, as a result of which you will have to reinstall the system. An ordinary user should pay attention only to the first three items from the entire list of options. “Horizontal resolution”, “Vertical resolution” and “Screen refresh rate”. Everything else is best left as default. After changing the parameters, do not forget to save them by clicking the button with the same name in the upper right corner.
After completing the necessary steps, you can easily customize the Windows 10 screen for yourself. Separately, we would like to note the fact that owners of laptops with two video cards in AMD or NVIDIA parameters will not have full-fledged parameters. In such situations, the screen can only be configured using system tools and through the Intel panel.