How to connect a PC to a laptop instead of a monitor
You can use a laptop as a screen for a personal computer through projection. To do this, you need to connect both devices with a cable. Previous generation laptop models were equipped with VGA and DVI ports. Modern technology can be synchronized using HDMI out, DisplayPort (DP), or even USB. In the same way, the laptop is connected to the computer monitor.
If the video card does not have the required port, then you can use an adapter, for example, from VGA to HDMI. But the use of third-party adapters may affect the quality of the transmitted image, so it is better to use an original cord with appropriate outputs.
If the stationary PC is equipped with a Wi-Fi module, or a similar router is at hand, then you can do without wires. Almost all laptops can operate wirelessly, as indicated by the corresponding antenna or Wi-Fi emblem icon.
- We activate Wi-Fi modules on both devices.
- Open “Windows Settings” (on a PC or laptop).
- Go to the “Network and Internet” section.
- We click on the line “Network creation”. “New”.
- We assign a name to the connection and come up with a password (you can check the “Automatic start” box).
On the second device, we connect to the selected network and use one desktop.
On a note! In the same way, you can synchronize other mobile devices. smartphones and tablets. The main thing is that the latter are equipped with a full-fledged Wi-Fi module.
Direct connection capability
A good half of laptops are equipped with VGA, DVI or HDMI interfaces. The presence of ports indirectly indicates the ability to directly connect a laptop to a computer instead of a monitor. But actually it is not. There are strict limitations here, which cannot be circumvented without serious technical intervention. The fact is that the interfaces available on the laptop function only for output. That is, you can connect a laptop to, say, a TV or monitor by transferring an image to them. But the laptop cannot directly receive a picture from external devices.
On a note! There are rare exceptions on the market, mostly in the premium segment. For example, the Y710 and Y730 series from “Lenovo” and some devices from Eurocom allow to use the laptop screen as a monitor with a direct connection. The former are equipped with an extended VGA interface with an in / out jumper, while the latter are equipped with a two-way HDMI port.
Of course, you can directly connect your laptop screen to your computer by pulling it out and plugging it into the LCD adapter. But this is a rather barbaric way, in which it is easy to burn not only the device matrix, but also other expensive elements.
Using a laptop as a computer screen
The need to use a laptop as a monitor appears among owners of personal computers when a backup is required to perform some specific tasks, or the main device has failed. Tandem work can be organized in several ways.
Setting up the operating system
The procedure for connecting devices may vary depending on the platform. The best option for high-quality projection will be the synchronization of equipment through the HDMI port. Signal loss will be minimized if there are no adapters or adapters in the circuit.
On the seventh generation of the platform, you can make a laptop as a monitor for a PC through a remote desktop. RDP, giving access to it to other users. In the basic settings, this protocol is deactivated by default. We connect the system unit to the laptop with a cable and go to the PC menu.
- Open the “Control Panel”.
- We find the item “System and Security”.
- Click on “System” and select “Properties”.
- Go to the “Remote Access” tab.
- In the “Remote Desktop” part of the window, put a check mark on “Allow”.
It remains only to find a device available for connection on the laptop (in the section “Remote connection management”). Sometimes, getting access to a laptop is not the first time. Much depends on the current version of the OS update. It is good if they match on both devices, but if not, then conflicts may arise. over, Windows 7 does not always correctly perceive a connection via a DisplayPort cable, while there are no problems with VGA, DVI or HDMI.
This platform is much easier in terms of synchronization with third-party devices. You can configure the connection either manually or automatically. The latter option depends on the laptop model: the newer the device, the more synchronization tools it has. We connect wires to a computer with a laptop and set up projection.
- Open “Windows Settings” on the laptop.
- Go to the “System” section.
- We find the line “Projecting to this computer”.
- Click on the permissions, choosing from the list “Available everywhere”.
- On the PC, we remove the curtain from the tray and click “Transfer Screen”.
- Open the item “Display Connection” and select the desired device.
If the projection is incorrect, then we check the screen resolution on the laptop. The standard scan on modern PCs is 1920 by 1080 pixels, while on a laptop it can be, for example, 1600 by 900. Due to the difference in resolution, the picture will be stretched or, conversely, very narrowed. Therefore, it is necessary to adhere to the same screen sweep.
Then you need to connect the two devices through a router. Then run the utility and, choosing a laptop from the list, click on “Connect”. Now the desktop of the personal computer will be displayed on the laptop screen.
It is possible to display the image from the computer system unit on the laptop display only if you have previously configured the display of the desktop on the PC. To do this, you need a monitor, at worst, a modern TV with an HDMI, DVI or VGA connector (depending on which connection the PC monitor supported).
For the connection to be established, the video card in the system unit must have at least two outputs. From one output, the cable goes to a PC monitor or TV, from the other to a laptop. The desktop is configured on the computer, while the laptop will be the second display.
- Right click on the desktop. Open the Screen Resolution tool (Display Settings on Windows 10).
- The system should detect that there are two displays connected to the computer unit. You can duplicate images on them, extend the desktop to two screens, or select only one monitor.
The laptop display in this case is the second device for displaying a picture. Set the value “Display the desktop only at 2” so that the image from the video card from the computer system unit is transmitted to the laptop screen.
Such a connection is possible only if the laptop has a video input, and not just a video output. The presence of one connector for connection to the system unit does not mean that you can make a laptop monitor for a computer.
Using a laptop as a monitor for a computer
If the question arose of how to use a laptop as a monitor, then you should know that this cannot be done directly. Even if the laptop has a connector to which you can connect a cable from the computer’s system unit, the image will not appear on the display. The installed system will be displayed on the laptop screen, there will be no connection with the PC.
Remote control software
You cannot use a laptop instead of a monitor, but you can make a remote connection and display data from the computer on the laptop screen. In this case, you do not need to connect the laptop to the system unit, the connection is established over the network. There are several proven options to display an image from a computer on a laptop display without connecting to the system unit.
- ZoneOS ZoneScreen.
To configure, the computer must have a monitor, the laptop in this case will be the second display. First, let’s see how the ZoneOS ZoneScreen program works. The application has two modes of operation. the server (the computer from which the image will be sent) and the client (the laptop, which will receive the signal).
- Run the program on your PC. Select the “Act as a server” mode and click “Next”.
- Leave the port by default. 2730. It is better to set the resolution as supported by the laptop display.
- In the next window, select the image transfer options. The higher the baud rate, the lower the latency. But as the speed increases, the load on the network and the computer increases. Set the number of uncompressed frames to 10 so that the load is not excessive. After the connection is established, experiment with the settings, choosing the optimal parameters.
- Click “Start” to start data transfer. If the connection has already been established, but you changed the settings, click “Reloaded”.
Now you need to configure the client, that is, the laptop. Launch ZoneOS ZoneScreen on it and select the “Act as a client” mode. Leave port 2730 and enter the IP address of the computer to establish a LAN connection. To find out the IP address:
After entering the data of the computer in the client on the laptop, click “Next”. A window will appear through which you will see the PC desktop on the laptop screen.
If ZoneOS ZoneScreen does not work (there are compatibility issues with the latest Windows versions), try setting up remote control via TeamViewer or Radmin. The first program is distributed free of charge, from the second you need to buy a license, but there is a demo access for 30 days.
You should download TeamViewer from the official website. To make the program work for free, during installation, check the item “Personal / non-commercial use”.
To establish a connection to a remote computer via TeamViewer, you need to know the ID and password. Naturally, TeamViewer must also be installed on the computer. The process of pairing devices is extremely simple:
- Find out the ID and password of the computer (to do this, just start TeamViewer on it, the identification data will be assigned automatically).
- Open TeamViewer on your laptop. In the Partner ID line, enter the PC identification number. Enter the password to connect to the computer.
After completing this simple procedure, you will see the PC desktop on the laptop display and even be able to control it. But the computer must have a working monitor, otherwise nothing will come of it.
How to connect a computer to a laptop instead of a monitor
Thanks to modern technologies, today it is possible to operate devices in various ways, thereby connecting one structure to another. Thus, it is necessary for the user to be aware of some peculiarities in the described situation. In this article, we will try to understand in detail how it is possible to connect a laptop to the main unit and what you need to know for this.
In addition, we will consider all the significant difficulties that are likely to occur on the way of connecting a second monitor to another monitor or someone else’s system unit. Remember to unplug your computer!
Is it possible to connect a laptop instead of a monitor
Of course, the answer to this question is yes. Therefore, all possible ways of execution will be provided below in the article. As for the immediate huge demand for such a method, it is ease of use that is already, one might say, unsuitable for use. Often, middle-class inventions quickly fail. But this does not mean that from now on it should be stored in a trash heap. It can be used to make an excellent replacement for your monitor. over, in terms of functionality, it will not differ in any way.
How to connect using USB
The first step is to make sure that both designs have a program such as Total Commander. There are many reasons for connecting a second monitor to a system unit as an additional tool. For example, to improve the performance of the matrix.
REFERENCE! The drivers must also be available, they must be appropriate. Speaking of the cables themselves, it’s worth mentioning that the connectors are also suitable.
So, when everything is checked and ready, you can proceed:
- First, the product is connected directly to a personal computer from the network.
- Next, the above-mentioned program opens, and on two devices.
- Now from each structure you need to go to the section called “network”, where you should mark “establish a connection via USB”.
- Next, it is important to decide from which unit you will copy all the necessary files. In the end, one of them will become the so-called server, and the other will become the client base.
- After determining, you will need to mark your actions. It may be that a window appears with information such as port selection. Accordingly, you should fix both via USB.
Now the connection is completely completed and you can start directly using both the PC and the laptop itself.
How to customize your desktop
This situation undoubtedly requires preliminary preparation. That is, if there is no specific cable, you should get one.
IMPORTANT! Pay close attention to the connectors on the device. After all the necessary items are ready for you, you can proceed to the main process.
And this is the following to-do list:
- The first step is to connect one end of the cord directly to the laptop and the other to the PC.
- Next, you should run the health in both devices.
- When the monitor is in working order, you can click on an empty space with the right mouse button.
- A menu will be brought to your attention, where you need to mark the “screen resolution”.
- After clicking, a window with various pictures will pop up, in the same place you need to click on the image under the second number.
- Then select the section “display desktop number two”, it will be in the “multiple screens” window.
- In conclusion, it is imperative to record all the above actions using the “save” or “ok” button.
As you can see, there is absolutely nothing complicated about this, however, you just need to adhere to a certain order.
How to connect a laptop instead of a monitor via Wi-Fi
Let’s consider some options for the outcome of events, the most common:
- If you are the owner of a personal computer, the base of which is type 7 or other similar, but later operating systems, then your device has a special program called “air display”. To activate, you will need to directly install not only on the PC, but also on the auxiliary unit. Therefore, after that you will have access to instructions, the implementation of the points of which will allow you to achieve the desired result. The main thing is to take this matter seriously.
- In addition, each user has the opportunity to refer to the maxivista utility. It is she who assumes with herself the presence of two versions. The first of these is specifically designed to reproduce an additional design. As for the second, it is, therefore, the same manipulations, only on the main object. After starting the application, your laptop will be automatically detected. You will need to connect to it, and then everything follows a step-by-step plan that will be provided.
ATTENTION! This method requires a considerable amount of money, which will have to be paid for the purchase.
What difficulties may arise
In principle, all manipulations are as simple as possible. This does not require special knowledge and various professional skills. As you can see from the above instructions, even the most inexperienced user of the device can handle it. The main thing is to carry out everything with a clearly set algorithm, then there is a high probability of a really positive result. The maximum that can turn out to be negative:
- The dimensions and configuration of the connectors do not match the required parameters. They must be compatible. To do this, the DVI type of equipment is most often indicated near the port.
- In addition, if your laptop does not combine a certain program, then most likely you will not be able to perform the actions presented.
- A similar situation can occur with the main device. This is what concerns the personal computer. If an old-style operating system is installed on it, then the necessary applications will simply not be supported, therefore, frauds will be meaningless.
However, the points presented above occur so rarely that their probability is reduced to a minimum, since in modern time the majority are owners of improved devices.
Remark! You can find out about all the most common interfaces in this article: https://pcpro100.info/popular-interface/
Despite the abundance of interfaces, the most popular and demanded today are: HDMI, VGA, DVI. On modern laptops, usually there is an HDMI port on a mandatory basis, and sometimes a VGA port (example in Fig. 1).
The most popular interface is present on all modern technology (monitors, laptops, TVs, etc.). If you have an HDMI port on the monitor and laptop, then the whole connection process should go without a hitch.
By the way, there are three kinds of HDMI form factors: Standard, Mini and Micro. On laptops, usually, there is always a standard connector, as in fig. 2. However, pay attention to this in the same way (fig. 3).
Many users call this connector differently, who is VGA and who is D-Sub (and, moreover, manufacturers do not sin this either).
Many people say that the VGA interface is living out its term (maybe it is), but despite this, there are still quite a lot of equipment supporting VGA. This means that he will live for another 5-10 years :).
By the way, this interface is found on most monitors (even the newest ones), and on many laptop models. Manufacturers, behind the scenes, still support this popular standard.
On sale today you can find many adapters associated with the VGA port: VGA-DVI, VGA-HDMI, etc.
Quite a popular interface. I should immediately note that it is not found on modern laptops, it is on PC (it is also on most monitors).
DVI has several varieties:
- DVI-A. used to transmit only an analog signal;
- DVI-I. for analog and digital signal transmission. The most popular type on monitors;
- DVI-D. for digital signal transmission.
Important! The dimensions of the connectors, their configuration are compatible with each other, the difference exists only in the contacts involved. By the way, pay attention, next to the port, usually, it is always indicated what type of DVI your equipment has.
How to connect a second monitor to a laptop / computer (via HDMI cable)
I think that many people know and have heard that a second monitor (TV) can be connected to a laptop (computer). And in some cases, it is impossible to fully work without a second monitor: for example, for accountants, financiers, programmers, etc. And in general, it is convenient to turn on, for example, a broadcast of a match (film) on one monitor, and slowly do work on the second :).
In this short article, I will consider a seemingly simple question of connecting a second monitor to a PC or laptop. I will try to touch upon the main questions and problems that arise in this case.
How to choose a cable and adapters for connection
To begin with, I recommend examining both the laptop and the monitor, to determine what interfaces they have. For example, my laptop only has one HDMI interface (therefore, there is virtually no choice).
The connected monitor had only VGA and DVI interfaces. Interestingly, the monitor does not seem to be “revolutionary”, and there was no HDMI interface on it
In this case, 2 cables were needed (Fig. 7, 8): one HDMI, 2 m long, the other. an adapter from DVI to HDMI (there are, in fact, quite a few such adapters. By the way, there are universal ones, which provide all kinds of interfaces for connecting one to another).
Thus, having a couple of such cables, you can connect your laptop to almost any monitor: old, new, etc.
Connecting the monitor via HDMI to a laptop (computer)
In principle, connecting the monitor to a laptop or desktop computer, you will not see much difference. Everywhere the same principle of action, the same actions.
By the way, we will assume that you have already chosen the cable for connection (see the article above).
By the way, many neglect this action, but in vain. Despite this seemingly trivial advice, it can save your equipment from damage. For example, I came across several times with cases when the laptop video card failed due to the fact that they tried to “hot”, without turning off the laptop and TV, to connect them with an HDMI cable. Apparently, in some cases the residual electricity “hit” and disabled the iron. Although, an ordinary monitor and a TV set are still slightly different equipment :). But still…
2) Connect the cable to HDMI ports of laptop, monitor.
Further, everything is simple. you need to connect the ports of the monitor and laptop with a cable. If the cable was chosen correctly (if necessary, use adapters, then problems should not arise.
When everything is connected, turn on the laptop and monitor and wait for Windows to load. Usually, by default, the same picture appears on the connected additional monitor as is displayed on your main screen (see Fig. 10). At least, this is the case even on new Intel HD cards (on Nvidia, AMD. the picture is the same, you almost never have to go into driver settings). The picture on the second monitor can be corrected, more about this in the article below
Setting up a second monitor. Types of projection
The connected second monitor can be “made” to work in different ways. For example, it can display the same as the main one, or it can display something else.
To configure this moment. right-click anywhere on the desktop and select “Screen settings” in the context menu (if you have Windows 7. then “Screen resolution”). Next, in the parameters, select the projection method (more on this below in the article).
An even simpler option would be to use special keys on the keyboard (if you have a laptop, of course). Typically, a screen will be drawn on one of the function keys. For example, on my keyboard, this is the F8 key, it must be pressed simultaneously with the FN key (see Fig. 12).
Next, a window with projection settings should appear. There are only 4 options:
- Computer screen only. In this case, only one main screen of the laptop (PC) will work, and the second one, which is connected, will be turned off;
- Repeating (see Figure 10). The image on both monitors will be the same. Convenient, for example, when a large monitor displays the same thing as a small laptop monitor when presenting a presentation (for example);
- Expand (see fig. 14). Quite a popular projection option. In this case, your workspace will increase, and you will be able to move the mouse from the desktop of one screen to another. It is very convenient, you can open a movie preview on one, and work on the other (as in Fig. 14).
- Only the second screen. In this case, the main laptop screen will be turned off, and you will work on the connected one (in some form, an analogue of the first option).
On the SIM, the connection process is complete. I will be grateful for the additions. Good luck to all!
❸ We connect the laptop to the monitor. we get the first picture
By and large, there is no difference whether to connect a TV or a monitor to a laptop. The steps are the same everywhere.
If we are talking about a TV or a stationary PC, I generally recommend unplugging it from the outlet (and also disconnecting the cable from the cable TV).
The point is that the HDMI port can burn out if you plug it in “hot” (as you can do with USB ports). than once there was enough residual electricity to disable the HDMI port.
2) Next, connect the cable to the monitor and laptop (if adapters are used, connect them as well).
VGA cable from the monitor: we connect it to the adapter, and the adapter to the laptop
3) Then turn on both the laptop and the monitor (or TV).
By default, the first time you connect, the image should be fed immediately to both an external monitor and a laptop screen (example below).
If you have a modern integrated video card from IntelHD (AMD Ryzen) with updated drivers, then you won’t even need to configure anything. the picture will immediately appear on the screen of an external monitor!
For owners of discrete video cards from AMD and NVidia. sometimes it is necessary to update the video driver (for example, an error may pop up that the video signal transmission is impossible.).
The monitor is connected to the laptop. the picture is the same here and there
How to connect a monitor to a laptop [step by step instructions]
Many laptops are now catching up with PC performance. Perhaps the only thing they sometimes lack is a large screen.
But this can also be solved by connecting a second external monitor to it (I note that now even thin ultrabooks support this feature).
By the way, the second monitor is indispensable for various calculations (for example, in the work of an accountant), when viewing various graphs, when programming, etc.
In this article, I will analyze the main points and questions that often arise when solving this issue. I think the information will be very useful for everyone who is interested in this topic.
I have an article on my blog about choosing a monitor for a computer (the article also talks about a laptop screen).
Connecting an external monitor to a laptop
USB Type-C (Thunderbolt)
Over the past year, the universal USB Type-C port has been actively gaining popularity. And this is not surprising. judge for yourself, with the help of it you can transfer data, video and audio signals to the monitor, plus simultaneously charge the device from it (if it is a laptop). It’s mega-convenient because just one wire!
USB-C port on top. for data transfer, from below. Thunderbolt 3
True, one important “footnote” should be made here. the fact is that not every USB Type-C is “able” to do all this.
In order not to get confused, read carefully the description of the device and see the labeling of the icon next to the port. In total, there are three main types of USB Type-C:
- normal (): simple data transfer is possible (found on both monitors and laptops);
- with the possibility of transmitting video and audio signals: this port is marked with a “DP” (Display Port) icon. Sometimes, instead of the “DP” abbreviation, there may be a monitor icon;
- if there is a lightning bolt next to USB Type-C, then the port supports Thunderbolt ().
By the way, pay attention not only to the ports of the video card (laptop). but also to the monitor itself. Not every monitor with USB Type-C supports video signal reception (it is best to rely on the device specification).
❷ Decide on the interface. choose a cable (and possibly an adapter)
If you don’t have an external monitor yet. and you are just going to buy it. then everything is simple for you: look what interface is on the laptop and buy a monitor compatible with it. How to choose a monitor, told here in this article.
Ideally, if you have an HDMI port on your laptop and monitor, then all the connection for you will be carried out using one cable. In fact, you only need to connect it to the laptop port and to the monitor port.
Be careful with HDMI as the port may burn out when hot plugged!
On my laptop, there was only an HDMI port, and on the monitor VGA and DVI. which means in this case it was impossible to do without adapters.
Today, there are a lot of different adapters on sale: now you can connect almost anything that is suitable to anything ;. I, of course, exaggerate a little. but nevertheless.
Quite old already interface, but still popular. Millions of technology supporting VGA have been released, and therefore, it will be relevant for a long time (albeit morally outdated.). Occurs even on newer laptop / netbook models.
Cons: max. resolution when connected via VGA. 1280 × 1024 (although in many cases it is possible to transmit a picture with a resolution of 1920 × 1080 pixels (and even higher), this possibility depends on the equipment).
Cannot transmit audio signal. Mainly suitable for simple projectors, video consoles, small office monitors.
The interface is very popular, although it is even less common on laptops than VGA. Available in one- and two-channel versions, they differ in max. resolution that can be transmitted. 1920 × 1080 and 2560 × 1600, respectively.
- DVI-A. for analog signal;
- DVI-D. for digital;
- DVI-I is universal. By the way, there are technologies for transferring images to 4K monitors by connecting two cables.
Note that the various connectors and their configuration (DVI-A, DVI-D, DVI-I) are compatible with each other (note: however, there is a difference in the pins involved).
One of the most modern connection interfaces. Ideal for connecting TV, monitors, set-top boxes to a PC or laptop.
Allows transmission of both video and audio signals. This interface is found in almost every laptop (also found on tablets and mobile gadgets).
Supports FullHD (1920×1080) picture, 3D, max. resolution up to 3840 × 2160 (4K). In general, today it will suit almost every user.
Note that HDMI comes in several sizes: standard, mini, and micro. Laptops (overwhelmingly) use the standard size type.
❶ Connection interfaces
I think the article should start with the interfaces that are most often found on monitors and laptops. And it is with them that they usually face when deciding the connection issue.
❹ Making detailed adjustments to an external monitor, projecting an image
To fine-tune and fine-tune the operation of an external monitor, the laptop keyboard (usually) has a special function key.
For example, on my ASUS, the FNF8 key combination is used for this (pay attention to the picture on the F8 key. On different laptop models, there may be excellent keys ).
If you don’t have such keys, try the WinP combination, and also read below, there will be a second option, how you can get to these settings.
When you press this combination (FNF8 / WinP). Windows 10 shows a small pop-up window on the left of the screen, in which you can select several projection options:
- only computer screen. the image will be displayed only on your laptop screen (convenient when you want to show a presentation, but are still preparing materials. Or, say, for work, you do not need a large screen yet);
- repeating. the same picture on an external monitor and a laptop screen (see my photo above );
- expanding is an interesting solution: in fact, you will have a large desktop for 2 screens at once. On one screen, you can start watching a movie or show some kind of graph, and on the other screen, you can do something else, say, type text or play a game;
- only the second screen. on a laptop the screen will go out, on an external monitor it will work. Convenient when at home (say) you connect a laptop to an external monitor and work (i.e. you will have a laptop as a system side).
The photo below shows the option when only an external monitor works (the last option).
If special. you do not have keys on the laptop keyboard (or they do not work). then in the new Windows 10 OS you can resort to another setting option.
Right-click anywhere on the desktop, and in the menu that appears, select “Display Settings” (see screenshot below).
Next, I should open the “Display” section of the Windows 10 Control Panel. In this section, you can do 2 important things:
- adjust scaling: often on laptops with a small screen, but high resolution, scaling is enabled in the region of 125-170%. Naturally, on a regular external monitor. the image will be too large and not very comfortable to look at. Therefore, adjust the scaling specifically for your monitor and your vision;
- multiple displays: here you can choose the projection option (what was discussed above: i.e. show the picture on both a laptop and a monitor, or only somewhere in one place).
But here I would also like to recommend you two more of my articles on similar topics:
- How to find out and change the screen resolution or why everything on the monitor screen has become large;
- Eyes get tired when working at the computer. how to set up the monitor correctly.
How to connect a monitor to the system unit: 4 steps
This guide will help you figure out how to connect the system unit to the display, which ports to use. He will also tell you about the procedure and how you can connect two system units to the monitor.
Computer and monitor connectors
Three port options are used to connect computers to monitors. Below are the features of each of them.
Quite an old port. However, thanks to the ability to stream content in FHD, it’s still on the way. For example, the inexpensive 2E Rational is equipped with such a connector. However, when working with some video cards capable of dual-channel mode, the indicator can increase to 2560 x 1600 pixels.
- transmits only a picture, a different channel is needed for the audio signal;
- the maximum resolution that the connector is capable of transmitting depends on the length of the wire: up to 10.5 meters. 1920 x 1280 pixels, up to 18 meters. 1280 x 1024 pixels;
- there are three types of such ports that are compatible with each other: A. analog transmission only, D. digital only, I. analog digital.
Minus. frequent interference that appears near devices emitting electromagnetic waves.
This port is often found on simple office monitors. The maximum resolution that the connector is officially capable of is 1280 x 1024 pixels. In practice, the indicators are even higher. As in the previous case, the port is created only for video signal transmission.
Interesting: such a connector is installed in the compact VZ249HE with full resolution.
This interface is the most modern and one of the most popular. Most laptops and systems are equipped with it. Even tablets often have such a connector.
- capable of transmitting not only video, but also audio signal: no additional cable is required;
- supports full resolution with three-dimensional effects, broadcasts content up to 8K (version 2.1);
- high bandwidth. 4.9-48 gigabits in an instant. allows you to transmit a signal without delays, which has a beneficial effect on picture quality.
Interesting: the creators of the Vinga Ark 0022 equipped it with many ports, including a pair of HDMI inputs.
There are three types: A. classic size, as well as mini. C and micro. D. The first option is most often found in laptops and PCs, and the second and third. in portable devices.
The process of connecting the monitor to the computer
Connecting a PC to a monitor is easy. The whole process will take a couple of seconds. However, before connecting two devices, there are a few things to consider.
- The most convenient is when the interfaces of both devices are the same. But if the connectors are different, you will need an adapter. It is recommended to purchase such an accessory from the same company as the cable: there will definitely be no conflicts.
- A system unit or laptop with DVI, VGA port can be connected to a monitor with HDMI, which shows a picture in 4K. But this quality should not be expected: the user will receive images of the definition that the older port is capable of.
- If, in addition to the integrated graphics chip, there is a discrete PC in the PC, it is better to connect the screen to it: more power = better image.
Usually, no additional settings are required.
If the PC works, but the screen does not show anything, you should check if the plugs are tight enough in the connectors.
How to connect two system units to one monitor?
In this case, you need such a thing as a KVM switch. The accessory makes it possible to connect at least 2 system units to 1 monitor, as well as to a mouse and keyboard.
This solution not only eliminates the need to use multiple displays, but also allows you to free up workspace: there will be no extra wires, peripheral devices.
The KVM switch is a compact device with multiple connectors. They are usually placed around the perimeter. For example, D-Link DUB-1341 has four of them.
Each of the connectors that are connected to the video card of the system unit transmits not only the video signal, but also data from the keyboard and mouse. As a rule, the switch is also equipped with buttons that allow the user to select the computer that needs to be used.
The advantage of switches is that they do not distort the picture: the quality depends on the port the device is equipped with. In addition, they work with any operating system, including server versions. Some models are also equipped with an audio interface, but they are more expensive. However, it is not necessary to look for one: you can buy a monitor with speakers, like the Samsung Curved C27T55.
The order of connecting a pair of system units to a monitor using such a switch is almost the same as described in the previous section. The only difference is that all cables go through the switch.
The connection process is pretty straightforward. If the connectors on the devices are not the same, then you should stock up on a suitable adapter. A pair of PCs can also be connected. Then you need a special switch.
How to use a laptop as a computer monitor or another laptop
There may be several situations when there is a need to use a laptop as a monitor. The most common problem is the failure of the main display of a personal computer. Therefore, in order to use the power of the system unit and the data stored in it in the future, you will need a monitor of another external device. The same situation can occur if the display matrix of another laptop does not work correctly.
Use a laptop as a monitor using a cable connection
Having decided on the necessary cable and using it to establish a connection between the system unit and the laptop, we proceed to setting up the display. To do this, turn on the laptop and wait for it to fully load. After that, we activate the settings menu item “Properties” or “Screen resolution” (depending on the installed operating system) by right-clicking on an empty space on the desktop. In the window that opens, we see the parameters of the current display.
To use a laptop as a computer display, you need to select the required monitor by name from the list that appears. Then you need to extend the PC desktop to the connected device by checking the box next to the corresponding menu item. To do this, you need to confirm the changes made by clicking the “Apply” button, and then “OK”. After completing these simple settings, you will be using the laptop screen as your main monitor.
- reliable connection;
- stable data transfer rate;
- simple settings.
- lack of the required cable;
- mismatch between laptop and stationary PC connectors;
- the need to purchase an adapter.
Ways to connect a laptop as a monitor
The most stable and reliable way to do this is by cable connection. Depending on the laptop model, its external interfaces may differ. You can use a laptop as a monitor through the HDMI connector or through the VGA output. If the system unit contains only an HDMI jack, and the laptop is equipped with a VGA input, then a special adapter is required for their joint work.
How to connect a laptop as a monitor
How to use a laptop as a display over Wi-Fi
For computers with the operating system Windows 7 and later, as well as Mac devices, there is a special program Air Display. It allows you to quickly and efficiently connect your laptop as a computer monitor wirelessly. To do this, the application must be installed and activated simultaneously on two devices. By following simple setup points, following clear prompts, you will quickly achieve the desired result.
A stable connection of the laptop as the main display of the PC will be provided by the MaxiVista utility. It is specially designed for this function and is available in two versions:
- client (for a managed device whose monitor will be used as the main one);
- server room (needs to be installed on the main device).
When launching the application, the server should automatically detect the client laptop. After connecting to it and completing the step-by-step settings, you can use the laptop as a computer monitor. The main disadvantage of this utility is that it is not free and is not cheap. In addition, there are a number of programs that allow you to remotely use the display of a paired device:
- RDesktop and others.
These applications have their own characteristics and more complex configuration. Among all the listed methods, each user will be able to choose and apply in his case the most convenient and accessible option for him.
First, look at the connectors on your laptop. On one side you will find a connector for connecting an external monitor. The most common are VGA, DVI and HDMI. DisplayPort can also be found on modern devices.
After finding the connector on the laptop, we examine the existing monitor for the presence of a video port. it is located at the back of the device.
Ideally, the port on the laptop should be the same as on the monitor, but if there are no identical connectors, adapters (video converters) come to the rescue. There are many adapters available from DVI to HDMI, VGA to DVI, etc. There are also universal adapters with many interfaces.
How to connect and set up a monitor
It is better to connect with the device turned off, since some laptops check for a second display only at startup.
To connect, we take a cable with the appropriate connector.
exotic option. VGA-miniVGA cable.
Such a cable can be used, for example, to connect to a TV.
We connect one end to the monitor, and the other to the laptop.
Immediately after connecting, you will see the same picture on both displays. it will be duplicated (clone mode).
However, it is not always necessary to display the same image on a laptop and on a monitor. In addition, the resolution is often chosen incorrectly, based on the lowest resolution of the two displays used. Therefore, you will need to configure.
On the desktop, press the right key. “Screen Resolution”.
If the monitor is not immediately detected, then in the window that opens, click the “Find” button.
Then it is necessary to determine which of the displays is the main one, which screen will be to the right and which to the left. This can be done using the “Define” button in the same part of the window.
Note that in the field “Multiple monitors” you can choose to duplicate the image, expand it on both screens or display only on one.
The first option can be used, for example, when showing presentations. In this case, one of the screens is in front of you, and the second in front of the audience (often a projector is used for such purposes).
The second is the most convenient, and therefore more frequently used.
When this mode is selected, it becomes possible to change the resolution for each screen separately.
After making changes, click “Ok” and get to work.
In this mode, you can move icons and files between the two screens, which is very convenient when working with a large amount of software at the same time. The size of the foreseeable space is doubled. You can watch a movie and chat on social networks at the same time. You don’t have to constantly switch between apps. This will undoubtedly lead to an increase in your productivity.
The third option is used, for example, if the laptop screen is faulty and you decide to use another one for your tasks.
If you want to quickly switch between monitors, there is a WinP hotkey combination. Pressing this combination opens a window for selecting the operating mode of several screens. This is how it looks for Windows 7.
For Windows 8 and 10, the Projecting pop-up appears on the right with the same options.
Customization can also be done using specialized utilities. For example, if you have integrated video from Intel, then right-click on the desktop to open the graphics settings and then, as shown in the picture.
The projector connection algorithm is similar.