How To Customize The Screen On Windows 10
Change the screen brightness through the “Action Center”
In the “Notification Center” you can set the screen brightness level only in fixed positions. Follow these steps to change the brightness level:
- Click on the “Action Center” icon in the lower right corner of the screen on the “Taskbar”.
Click on the “Action Center” icon
- If the tiles in the expanded menu of the “Notification Center” are in a minimized state, then first expand them by clicking on the “Expand” term.
- Click on the tile to change the screen brightness. The brightness level will go to 0%. Set the required screen brightness
- Sequentially, clicking on the tile, changing the brightness in 25% steps in the range from 0 to 100%.
Your IT assistant
Change screen brightness in system settings
There are two ways to call the screen parameters:
- First way:
- right-click on an empty space of the “Desktop”;
- Click on the “Screen Settings” icon.
Click on the “Screen Options” icon
Changing the screen brightness in the Start menu
You can also use the Start key to navigate to the panel for changing the screen brightness. To do this, you need to do the following:
- Right-click on the Start button.
- Select the term “Power Management”. Click on the line “Power Management”
- Open the “Display” tab. Click on the “Advanced Power Options” button. Click on the “Display” icon and on the “Additional power settings” tab
- Adjust the brightness level of the screen in the same way as discussed in the previous paragraphs of this article.
What to do if the screen blinks
Frequent screen blinking in Windows 10 can be caused by two problems:
- using outdated adapter drivers;
- incompatibility of the software application installed on the computer and system requirements.
The problem is less common than when Windows 10 was just beginning to spread.
To fix the error, you need to find out if the driver or software application is the source that creates Screen Blinking. To resolve the problem and restore normal operation of the display and adapter, use the following method:
- Right click on the “Taskbar”.
- Click on the “Task Manager” line. In the menu, click on the line “Task Manager”
- Check for Blinking in the Task Manager pane. If the panel blinks along with the screen, then the reason is in the old adapter driver. If this does not happen, then the reason is in some of the installed software applications. Check for Blinking Task Manager Panel
- Double-click the Control Panel icon on the Desktop. On the “Desktop” double click on the “Control Panel” icon
- Click on the “Administration” icon in the “All Control Panel Items” window. Click on the “Administration” icon
- Double-click on Computer Management in the Administrative Tools window. Double click on “Computer Management”
- Expand the Event Viewer tab in the Computer Management window. Expand Event Viewer Tab
- Expand the Windows Logs tab. Expand Windows Logs Directory
- Check the Application and System tab for errors.
- If a software application compatibility error is found in the Application tab, remove it. Then download the latest version of the application from the developer’s website and install it on your hard drive. Click on the Application tab and check for errors
- If an error in the “System” tab indicates that an updated adapter driver is needed, then perform the same operations for replacement as for the software application. Click on the System tab and check for errors
Changing the screen brightness using the keyboard
Almost all modern types of keyboards have the ability to change the screen brightness, rather than resorting to system settings. Previously, only laptops had this feature, but now this feature is inherent in many types of personal computer keyboards. As a rule, you can change the brightness using two buttons, which are marked with a sun icon and an arrow indicating an increase or decrease in brightness. They are usually found in the upper or lower case of the keyboard.
Use the keys to adjust the brightness level of your screen
In some cases, to change the brightness of the screen, you need to press the Fn key together with these keys.
Adjust display settings on a Windows 10 computer, laptop, or tablet
During the development of Windows 10, Microsoft changed the familiar experience of Display Settings. It has become more simple, allowing users to make various settings intuitively. The determination of the optimal screen parameters occurs already during the installation of the system in automatic mode. It remains only to configure them for a specific user, if the need arises. The parameters set should correspond to the maximum capabilities of the display screen and adapter. This achieves the clearest drawing of graphics and colors.
how to run an application in compatibility mode in Windows 10. Changing the screen brightness using the battery gauge on the taskbar
In laptops and tablets on the “Taskbar” there is a battery indicator, which can also be used to change the brightness of the screen:
- Left-click on the battery charge indicator. Click on the battery indicator
- Click on the tile for changing the screen brightness. Adjust the screen brightness
- You can change the brightness level at fixed values from 0 to 100% in 25% steps.
- Click on the Power Sleep Settings tab. Click on the Power Sleep Settings tab
- Click on the line “Additional power settings” in the right side of the opened “Settings” window. Click on the “Advanced Power Options” tab
- In the window “Power supply” set the required brightness using the slider “Screen brightness”. Adjust the screen brightness level with the slider
- Click on the Power Scheme Setup tab. Click on the Power Scheme Setup tab
- In the opened panel “Changing the parameters of the scheme” using the slider “Adjust brightness”, achieve its optimal level when powered from the mains and from the battery. Adjust brightness on AC and battery power
Setting an account password using the command line
There is another way to set a password on a local Windows 10 account. use the command expiration. for this
- Run the command term as administrator (Use a right click on the “Start” button and select the desired menu item).
- At the command prompt, type net users and press Enter. You will see a list of active and inactive users. Pay attention to the name of the user for whom the password will be set.
- Enter the command net user username password (where username is the value from item 2, and password is the Desired password to log into Windows 10) and press Enter.
Done, just like in the previous method, it is enough to lock the system or log out of Windows 10 so that you are prompted for a password.
How to set a password on Windows 10
In this instruction, step by step on how to set a password on Windows 10 so that it is requested when you turn on (log in), wake up from sleep or lock. By default, when installing Windows 10, the user is asked for a password, which is subsequently used to log in. Also, a password is required when using a Microsoft account. However, in the first case, it cannot be ignored (left blank), and in the second, you can disable the password prompt when logging into Windows 10 (however, this can also be done when using a local account).
Next, we will consider various options for the situation and ways to set a password for entering Windows 10 (using the system) in each of them. You can also set a password in the BIOS or UEFI (it will be prompted to enter the system), or install BitLocker encryption on the system drive with the OS (which will also lead to the inability to turn on the system without knowing the password). These two methods are more complicated, but when using them (especially in the second case), an outsider will NOT be able to reset Windows 10 password.
Important note: if you have an account named “Administrator” (not only with administrator rights, namely with this name), which does not have a password (and sometimes you see a message that some application can NOT be launched with the implementation of the built-in administrator account), then the correct option in your case will be: Create a new Windows 10 user and give him administrator rights, transfer important data from system folders (desktop, documents, and others) to the folders of the new user, and then disable the built-in account, which was written about in the article Built-in Windows administrator account ten.
Setting a password for a local account
If your system uses a local Windows 10 account, but it does not have a password (for example, you did not set it when installing the system, or it was not when upgrading from a previous OS version), then you can set a password in this case, Using the system settings.
- Go to Start. Settings (gear icon on the left side of the start menu).
- Select “Accounts” and then. “Login Options”.
- In chapter “Password”, if it is absent, you will see a message stating that “Your account has a password” (if this is not specified, but it is proposed to change the password, then the next section of this instruction will suit you).
- Click “Add”, specify a new password, repeat it and enter a password hint that you understand, but cannot help outsiders. And click “Next”.
After that, the password will be set and will be prompted the next time you log into Windows 10, exit the system from sleep or lock the computer, which can be done with the WinL keys (where Win is the key with the OS logo on the keyboard), or through the Start menu. click by the user’s avatar on the left. “Block”.
How to enable Windows 10 password if its request has been disabled
In cases where you are using a Microsoft account, or when using a local account, it already has a password, but it is not prompted for, we can assume that the password prompt when logging into Windows 10 has been disabled in the settings.
To turn it back on, follow these steps:
- Press WinR keys on your keyboard, type control userpasswords2 and press Enter.
- In the User Account Control window, select your user and check the box “Require username and password” and click “OK”. You will also have to enter the current password to confirm.
- Additionally, if you have disabled the password prompt when you wake up from sleep and you want to enable it, go to Settings. Accounts. Login options and at the top, in the “Login required” section, select “When the computer wakes up from sleep”.
That’s all, when you log into Windows 10 in the future, you will need to log in. If something does not work out or your case differs from those described, describe it in the comments, I will try to help. May also be interested: How to change Windows 10 password, How to put password on Windows 10, 8 and Windows 7 folder.
How to make Windows 10 look like Windows 7
When the Windows 7 operating system appeared, many users did NOT want to switch to it, and held on to Windows XP to the last. The same thing is happening now with Windows 10, many users do not want to change the Windows 7 interface to 10th. Over time, support for Windows 7 will be discontinued and gradually the software on it will begin to fail. Of course, you can stick to it to the last, or you can upgrade to Windows 10 and configure the same interface as in Windows 7.
Today’s article will help you make Windows 10 look like Windows 7.
Make the start menu in Windows 10 the same as in Windows 7
When Windows 8 was released, many users covered it with mud primarily because of the Start menu, or rather because of its absence. Although Microsoft added the Start menu in 8.1 and 10, and it looks good, you can use the Classic Shell to make it look like Windows 7. Everything you need. this is to go to the Classic Shell website = click Download now = will run the downloaded file and by choosing the parameters, or NOT changing anything and clicking around Next to change “Start”.
This is how in just a couple of minutes you will do in Windows 10 “Start” like in Windows 7.
Remove Action Center from the taskbar
In Windows 10, a notification center appeared near the clock, if you go into it, you can see various system notifications, as well as Get quick access to enable or disable many functions.
Although this function is useful, not everyone likes it and you can turn it off. Earlier we described several ways how to disable the Action Center in Windows 10. One of them is to go to Group Policy = select “User Configuration” = Administrative Templates = Start Menu and Taskbar. On the right side, open the “Delete notifications and action center icon”. Click on “Enabled” on this function and the notification center after reboot will no longer be.
Disable Windows 10 lock screen
If you do NOT want to see the lock screen every time you turn on your computer. you can turn it off. You can also make sure that you do NOT ask for a password to enter the system at all. Follow the instructions on how to disable the Windows 10 screen lock and the screen lock will be disabled.
Remove Search and View Tasks from the taskbar
In Windows 7, the search bar was in the Start menu, and in Windows 10 it was built into the taskbar, and in 7k, the taskbar was “View tasks” (virtual desktops button). To remove the search and view of tasks from the taskbar in Windows 10. just right click on the taskbar = opposite “Show task view button” there is a check mark, click on this item with the left mouse button and the button from the taskbar will disappear = also click on “Search” and in the opened submenu select “Is hidden”.
Make Explorer look like Windows 7
In order to return the appearance of Explorer and some functions from Windows 7 in Windows 10, you need to use the OldNewExplorer program. It is easy to use, although in English, we have previously considered how this program can simply and quickly remove folders from this Windows 10 computer. Download the program = runs it and click on Install = by checking the boxes in a certain field. Changes will occur instantly, unnecessary restart computer.
Using the program, you can: restore the details pane at the bottom of the explorer, restore command expiration / delete tapes, restore libraries / delete folders, restore devices / drives grouping, change the style
Add title color
The default window color is transparent, which is NOT everyone likes, and we want to make everything look like Windows 7. So go to “Start” = Settings = Personalization = on the left side, select “Colors”, and on the right we look for the parameter “Show title color in window “and turn it on, after that select the color at the top.
Here’s what happens:
Make your Microsoft account a local account.
Starting with Windows 8, it became possible to log into the system under a Microsoft account, with which many settings are synchronized and you can use them on any device where you go under this account. But if you want to log into Windows 10 under a regular local account. do everything according to the instructions on how to make a local user from a Microsoft account.
If you did NOT want to switch to Windows 10 because of the many tracking features for you. then you can configure the system so that no one will follow your actions. Follow these instructions to protect your privacy in Windows 10.
Quick access to personalization is the same as in Windows 7
In Windows 10, as well as in 7, when you right-click in an empty space on the desktop, you can select from the list “Personalization”. But in 10k when you click on personalization. other settings will open, not like in 7k. Personalization of the same kind as in 7k can be found in the Windows 10 Control Panel, but there is a way to get into it faster.
We will create a shortcut on the desktop by opening which you will see “personalization” the same as it was in Windows 7. Click in an empty place on the desktop with the right mouse button = New = Folder
Replace the folder name with the following: Personalization. and hit enter
The folder icon and name will automatically change and you will be taken to classic personalization by opening it.
Play games without ads
All the standard games in Windows 8 and 10 were removed, now they added the Microsoft Solitaire Collection in which games with brighter graphics and advertising. Microsoft suggests paying 20 a year to play ad-free games, isn’t that greasy? You can run any game you want from the Google search engine, look at the instructions A few hidden games from Google, maybe you like this way of playing.
Stop downloading and installing updates automatically
Windows 10 automatically downloads and installs updates, but not everyone likes it. You can make updates downloaded and installed at the user’s request. To do this, read and follow the instructions How to disable automatic updates in Windows 10
These methods will help you configure Windows 10 as close to 7k as possible. If you have any add-ons. write comments! Good luck # 128578;
There are several ways to change the brightness: through changing system settings or using the functions of the screen itself.
how to adjust brightness and other screen settings. Through system parameters
Open system settings
Click on the “System” block
Racing slider to change brightness
What to do if brightness options are not available
Your screen may have a Plasma brightness change, but this problem only occurs on older devices. Most often, the reason lies in the lack of the required driver:
- Go to “Device Manager”.
Open “Device Manager”
Highlight the monitor and use the “enable” function
Download and update monitor drivers
Select manual search and specify the path to the drivers
Here the screen resolution depends on the number and density of pixels involved in displaying the picture. Each monitor model has its own recommended resolution value, it can be found in the instructions for the monitor or by enumerating all the resolutions suggested by the system:
- Right-click on an empty space on the desktop and select “Display Settings”.
Select the “Screen Options” section
Select the appropriate resolution and confirm your changes
Solving Monitor Problems
If you run into problems while setting up or using your monitor, you should try to fix them yourself.
If the screen starts dead only in a specific application or game, this means that the program is incompatible with your assembly and the problem is in it. If the monitor blinks constantly, then there can be two reasons: a problem with the cable or drivers.
First, make sure that the cable connecting the monitor and the computer unit is not pinched or pulled out. This is usually a VGA or HDMI cable. Pull it out of both connectors, Reconnect and check if the problem is gone. If possible, test the monitor with a second cable.
Check if the unit and monitor are well connected
Second, if you are convinced that the problem is not with the cable, update the drivers:
- Go to “Device Manager”, find the “Adapters” block and expand it. You will see the name of your card or adapter. Use it to find the manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers from it. Go back to the manager and go to the driver update process.
Select the adapter and proceed to update its drivers
Specify the path to the previously downloaded adapter drivers
Through power settings
- In the system search bar, write “Power supply” and open the proposed page.
Open the Power Options tab
Click on the “Power Scheme Settings” button
Adjust brightness in power settings
Disabling sleep mode and turning off the monitor
By default, if the user does NOT take action for 15 minutes, the computer turns off the monitor. After another 15 minutes of inactivity, the system goes to sleep. This is necessary to save energy. However, the power saving function can be deactivated or adjusted:
- While in the system parameters, select the “System” section, and in it the “Power and sleep mode” subsection.
Open the “Power and sleep” section
Set the time to turn off the monitor and go to sleep
Find the tab in the search bar of the Start menu
Set the parameter “Net”