How to enable a second screen on Windows 10
Configuring Windows 10
Unlike older versions of the operating system, Windows 10 is the most convenient for working with multiple displays. There are three ways to mirror your PC screen to TV in Windows 10.
The first way is the easiest. With the computer turned on, simultaneously press the “Windows” “P” keys. This combination allows you to switch between dual-screen computer modes. It remains only to select the desired mode.
If keyboard shortcuts are confusing to the user, you can use Windows Action Center. In the lower right corner of the screen, you need to click on the corresponding icon. A window will open in which you need to select the “Send to screen” item. In the appeared menu “Project” select the item “Repeating”.
Activating Screen Mirroring in Windows 10
If the TV screen resolution is higher than the monitor screen resolution, then the picture on the TV display will be located in the center, surrounded by black borders. In this case, you need to use the following method.
On the desktop, in an unoccupied place, click the right mouse button. A context menu will open, in which you need to select the “Display settings” item. In the window that opens, find the item “multiple displays” and click on the pop-up menu. In it, select the item “Duplicate screen”. After that, be sure to select a TV (screen 2) and check the box “make the main display”.
Connecting a TV to a Computer
The first thing to start with is choosing a cable. It is required to inspect the back of the system unit and determine which free video outputs are present on it.
Then the same thing needs to be checked on the TV. It is required that the same connectors are free on the computer and on the TV. If both ports are free, then it is better to give priority in favor of the HDMI connector, since it has a higher bandwidth, and, therefore, better quality. Plus, HDMI connects not only image but also sound.
If the computer will be connected to the TV via the VGA connector, you should note that on most modern TVs, when connected via this video output, the screen resolution will be significantly lower than the “native” TV resolution, which will negatively affect the image quality. In the characteristics of the TV, the screen resolution is always separately indicated when connected via the VGA connector.
The cable to the computer and TV should only be connected when the devices are turned off!
After the computer and the TV are connected with a cable, it remains only to indicate on the TV from which connector to receive the image (usually the source button).
Mirroring your computer screen to your TV
There are often situations when the size of the monitor is not enough for comfortable work with a computer. In this case, the computer is connected to a TV or projector and the image is displayed on it. But what if you want the picture to be displayed both on the main computer screen and on an additional TV connected to it? In this article, we will show you how to mirror a computer screen to a TV in Windows 10. To do this, you will need:
- Computer with an unused VGA or HDMI connector
- Cable connecting computer and TV
- TV with the above connectors
From all of the above, we can conclude that connecting a computer to a TV is not so difficult. The main thing is to follow the instructions and everything will work out. This manual is also relevant for connecting projectors and other devices for displaying images from the computer screen.
How to enable HDMI on Windows 10
How to properly connect a laptop to a TV via HDMI?
Immediately, we note that in order to connect everything, you will need to set the desired parameters on the TV and laptop. You will also need the HDMI cable itself. Also, note that some laptop models only have a DVI connector. Then you will also have to get a special adapter.
The procedure itself for connecting a laptop to a TV via HDMI is quite simple. You need to do the following:
- We make sure that there are connectors on both devices.
- We turn off the TV and laptop. This is to protect the ports. If you connect the cable with the devices turned on, then there is a risk of their failure.
- We connect one end of the cable to the HDMI connector on the TV. Typically, modern TV-devices have it on the back or side. In this case, there can be several connectors. Usually they are all signed. HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc. In which of them you connect the cable there is no difference.
- We connect the other end of the cable to the laptop. Now we turn on both devices and go to the connection settings.
- We start with the TV. We pick up the remote control and press the button on it, which is responsible for setting up signal sources. This is often the key “input”, “source” (on LG, Samsung TVs, etc.) or “home” (on some Sony models).
- A menu will appear on the TV screen (its interface is very different depending on the TV and the manufacturer!), Where you need to select the signal source. In our case, HDMI. If you choose the wrong option, the following message will appear on the TV screen: “No signal”. Do not be afraid! Just click on another signal source.
- That’s all. Most likely, everything worked out for you, and you are already watching a movie or playing computer games using a TV monitor, and not a laptop screen.
- If the laptop did not connect to the TV and it was not possible to display the image on its screen, then on the laptop we go to “Start”. Further in the “Control Panel”. Click on the item “Setting the screen resolution”. Next, in the “Screen” line, select the TV screen if it was not automatically recognized. Press the button “Find”. For laptops with Windows 10, go to the system settings in the “Screen” section and click on the “Detect” button.
Helpful information! Not all laptop models have an HDMI connector. In this case, some users, using an adapter, connect the device via VGA. This is a fairly old 15-pin connector that became popular back in the 80s of the last century. However, no sound is transmitted through such an interface. Therefore, in addition to the HDMI cable, you will need to connect an additional wire for the audio signal.
Problems when connecting a laptop to a TV using an HDMI cable are far from uncommon. Therefore, we will dwell on this point in detail. we will describe the most common problems and ways to solve them.
- What if you connected everything correctly, but the TV screen does not show the image from the laptop? The first thing we do is sit down at the laptop. Right-click on the desktop. In the menu that appears, select the line “Screen resolution” (for Windows 7, 8). Now you need to select “Multiple monitors” in the “Screen” item. Below you will see another option “Multiple screens”. Here we put “Duplicate desktop on the first and second”.
- Why is there no sound on the TV? As we noted above, an HDMI cable carries an audio signal. So it is weird if the sound continues to come from the laptop and not from the TV device? How to fix it? Go to the notification panel and click on the sound icon. We select “Playback devices” or “Sound devices”. it all depends on the OS version (Windows 7, 8, 10, etc.). The list that opens should also include the TV to which you connected the laptop via HDMI. Click on it with the right mouse button, and then select “Use as default” or “Enable”. It remains only to click “Ok”. The sound should appear.
Sometimes there are conflicts that prevent the laptop from connecting to the TV via HDMI. The main reason is outdated or incorrectly working drivers. For example, video cards. Therefore, if you cannot connect the device to the TV, then update the software for the video adapter.
On a note! Connecting a laptop to an old TV via HDMI is hardly possible. Mainly due to the lack of an appropriate interface. Therefore, if you have a rather “ancient” TV receiver, then you can connect it to a laptop only through RCA (everyone knows them as “tulips”).
After Windows boots up, select the appropriate screen resolution. To do this, right-click on an empty space on your desktop and then select the appropriate “Screen Resolution”.
Here you can choose the appropriate resolution. A higher resolution produces a sharper picture, but everything on the screen will be smaller. The system defaults to the maximum resolution supported by the device. If everything suits you, don’t change anything. If you are not comfortable working with such a resolution: the font is too small and difficult to read, you can reduce the resolution, taking into account some of the nuances. Some monitors and TVs are designed to show a strictly defined number of pixels vertically as well as horizontally. If you set a non-standard resolution, your TV will have to scale it to display it on its matrix, which can lead to blurring of the picture and deterioration of the image quality.
If your TV supports Full HD resolution (1920 × 1080), it will reproduce 1280 × 720 just as well, but all fonts and details will be larger. The real resolution of the HD Ready TV is 1366 × 768, it makes no sense to set the resolution to 1920 × 1080.
FIX: Windows 10 Not Detecting Second Monitor [Quick Tutorial]
On the monitor tab, located in the “Advanced settings”, you can set the required refresh rate of the screen. You can set it to 60 Hz or more (if your TV supports it):
If the video is not running smoothly enough or jitters during playback, you can experiment with this parameter by changing its value. Set the color quality to “True Color (32-bit)”.
Whenever you change the resolution, color depth or frequency, a window appears in which you need to confirm the changes. If your device does not work with the new parameters, you will not be able to see this window and confirm your actions. Don’t worry, fifteen seconds later, your computer device’s system settings will be restored to their previous system settings.
What is important to know about HDMI?
Recently, HDMI data transmission technology has become very popular. Largely due to the fact that with its help it is possible to broadcast a video and audio signal of a sufficiently high quality. This uses only one cable.
There are currently several HDMI standards:
- 1.0 standard (speed up to 10.2 Gbps, support for up to 8 audio channels);
- standard 2.0 (data transfer at speeds up to 18 Gbps, as well as support for up to 32 audio channels).
Many companies are involved in the production of HDMI cables. Branded options are often quite expensive. However, many modern TVs have such a cable included.
How to connect a computer or laptop to a TV via HDMI?
Many people who have a large plasma or LCD TV at some point think about connecting it to their computer or laptop. The opportunity to watch a movie on a large screen is of great interest to many users. First, let’s get acquainted with the possible ways of connecting these devices, then we will understand the settings of the video card, and at the end we will consider how you can output sound via HDMI. For the simplest connection of the above devices, you only need to have an HDMI cable with the same connectors at the ends. Any, even the most inexpensive cable is suitable, but note that if you are going to use 3D mode, the version of the cable must be HDMI 1.4 or higher. Find the HDMI jack on your computer case, as well as on the back of your TV. This is how this socket looks on the back of the TV: And this is an image of the socket on the side wall: But such a socket should be looked for on the back of the computer’s system unit: This socket is located directly on the video card, next to the connector for connecting a DVI or VGA monitor. If a discrete video card is not installed in your system unit, the socket will be located on the motherboard, near the USB ports. With laptops it is lighter, the HDMI socket in them always looks the same, just in different models it can be on different sides: In portable computer devices (tablets, netbooks, cameras, etc.) install mini-HDMI connectors, which are three times smaller than a conventional connector, so they need a mini-HDMI cable.
Many modern users have an LCD TV hanging on the wall, which makes it difficult to connect a massive cable to its back surface.
For such cases, cables are provided with the plug at right angles. You can also, if you wish, purchase a special HDMI corner: With this corner, you can connect to the TV from the back or from the side. Some adapters even support the ability to adjust the angle and the bend in them is not straight, but in any direction. Before buying, decide in which direction the cable will come out after connecting it through the corner. Please note that different cable models are oriented in different directions.
You will not be able to connect without HDMI connectors (however, if you have a DVI monitor connector, you can use a DVI-HDMI adapter).
Projecting Windows 10 how to connect a second screen
Hey ! We continue to disassemble the Windows 10 operating system! Today you will learn how to set up projection and connect a second screen on Windows 10. For example, you want to connect a TV or a second computer to your computer, or just an additional screen. You can not only connect an additional screen, but also be able to adjust the projection.
To connect the second screen, in the lower right corner of the screen, open the “Notification Center” by clicking on the corresponding icon in the form of a written sheet. In the window that opens, click on the tab. Project. Projection needs to be adjusted only after connecting the second screen.
Further, in the window that opens, you will have a choice of 4 types of projection:
How to output sound to TV via HDMI?
- It is necessary that all the necessary drivers are installed on the video card. You can determine if the driver that provides audio output via HDMI is installed in the “Device Manager”. To open it, you need to click “WinPause”, then select “Device Manager”. The section dedicated to audio, gaming and video devices must indicate a device that supports “High Definition Audio”. high definition sound:
- In playback devices (right-click on the speaker located near the clock or go to “Control Panel. Sound”) there must be an HDMI digital audio device or similar in name.
- When the TV is connected to a computer device, the status will change to “Ready”. Right click on it and select “Set as default”.
- On some TVs, not all HDMI inputs are capable of receiving sound! The port called “HDMI 1” probably knows how to do this. If the sound does not appear automatically, try digging into the TV settings to set the digital, not analog (used when connecting tulips) audio stream for the HDMI input you are using.
After that, the problem with the output of sound via HDMI to the TV should be resolved. You just have to restart the programs you are using or completely restart your computer.
Windows 10 is back with the good old Start menu, but it’s not quite what we know it from Windows 7. This time it includes all the best from Windows 7 dynamic tiles of universal apps (until recently, such apps were officially called modern ). In particular, the left side of the menu is very similar to the Start menu in Windows 7, while the right side is made up of tiles.
If you’ve been using Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 for a long enough time and have already gotten used to the Start screen, you’ll be glad to know that Windows 10 allows you to turn it on.
Let me remind you that on computers with a keyboard and mouse connected, Windows 10 automatically enables a new Start menu, while on touch devices, the Start screen is used by default.
Please note that when you enable the Start screen in Windows 10, the Start menu will be completely disabled. Thus, the Start screen will open both when you click on the “Start” button in the lower left corner of the screen, and when you press the Windows logo key on the keyboard.
So let’s turn on the Start screen in Windows 10:
Step 1: Right click on the taskbar and select Properties. Step 2: In the Taskbar and Navigation properties window, click the Start Menu tab. Find the option “Use the Start menu instead of the Start screen” and uncheck it. Finally, click Apply to turn off the Start menu and turn on the Start screen. Next, you need to log out and log back in. To do this, in the window that appears, click “Sign out and”.
How to enable the Start screen in Windows 10. instruction
How to enable the Start screen in Windows 10? The Windows 10 Start screen, which debuted in Windows 8, and the Start menu, which was in Windows 7 and previous versions of Windows, are merged and available in Windows 10. You have a choice of two Start screen configurations.
- Full screen start screen with Start menu collapsed on the left side
- Partial home screen with Start menu, always visible on the left side
The default is partial screen configuration.
The first preview of the new Windows is finally available for download. Interested users can use their Microsoft account to join the Insider Program and start downloading the Windows 10 Technical Preview install image.
List of the most used applications
On a fresh install of Windows 10, this list contains links to some of the standard Windows utilities or applications selected by the computer manufacturer. When using Windows, this list shows the most used applications that are not pinned to the Start screen.
Setting the size of the start screen
The Start menu configuration that works best for you depends on how you work. Questions mainly include whether you interact with Windows 10 by tapping or touching the screen, which method you prefer to use to launch apps, whether you use jump lists, and how big your screen is. Your initial preference may be based solely on what you are accustomed to and what you are comfortable with. You can easily try both configurations to determine which one is more efficient for your job.
Change your Start menu configuration with one click. When you turn full screen mode on or off, the change is immediate. You don’t need to log out of Windows or restart your computer to do this.
You can adjust the height and width of the initial partial screen. When you make your Start screen wider or narrower, the width of the tile groups can change from three medium tiles at a narrower width to four medium tiles at a wider width.
How to switch between main and full screen mode of the start screen:
- 1. Open the settings window
- 2. Click the Personalization button, and then on the Personalization page Click the Start button.
- 3. From the Start panel, select Open Start Menu in Full Screen Mode. Then click the Start button to check the settings.
To resize a partial screen, you need to:
- 1. Drag the top border of the Start screen up or down to increase or decrease its height.
- 2. Drag the right border of the Start screen to the right or left to increase or decrease its width.
To display home screen tiles that do not fit on a partial screen, you need to:
- 1. Hover your mouse over the Start screen to display a vertical scroll bar on the right edge.
- 2. Drag the scroll box or click the scroll bar to scroll through the contents of the start screen.
Newly added app list
This list displays applications for a short time after they are installed. If apps have not been installed recently, the title of the newly added list is not displayed in the Start menu.
Customizing Start Menu Contents
The left side of the Start menu displays information related to users and applications. At a minimum, it displays a “User Account” button at the top and “Power” and “All Application” buttons at the bottom. (Power buttons and all apps are also directly accessible from the home screen in full screen configuration).
Connecting a laptop to a PC using a cable
This method requires preparation. buying a cable if it is not there. To correctly determine the required cord, it is worth finding out the connectors of the devices. You can find devices with VGA, DP ports (for example, HP 15-dw1004ur), HDMI, USB. We pay attention to this when choosing a cable.
Recommendations on how to properly connect a laptop to a computer using a cable:
- One end of the cord must be inserted into the laptop connector, the other into the PC port.
- Start both devices.
- After the desktop appears on the screen, click on an empty space with the right mouse button.
- In the menu that appears, select “Properties” or “Screen resolution” (depending on the OS), the display options will appear.
- There will also be a list and pictures with monitors, you need to select the connected laptop monitor by name or click on the image under number 2.
- In the field “Multiple screens” select “Show desktop on”.
- To save all changes, you need to click on “OK”.
Controlling a PC on a laptop via remote access programs
If you don’t have a cable at hand, you can use the wireless method to connect your laptop and PC. The method is relevant for owners of Apple devices. There is a special option called Air Display (not available in all versions of the devices, you may need to install the application).
The program is freely available, you can easily download it from the Internet. To install, you just need to follow the instructions, everything is intuitive.
If the program is already on your laptop, then you can connect to the PC as follows:
- select the program icon on the taskbar and click on it;
- in the window that opens with a list of available devices, select the desired one;
- click on Connect and wait for the connection.
That’s it, now you can display an image, text information from a computer to a laptop. Air Display helps to use monitors together, all actions are carried out as a remote connection.
How to use a laptop as a monitor for a computer: 3 ways to connect
If the PC screen is out of order, and there is no opportunity or time to purchase a new one, you can use the laptop as a monitor. Also, the option is suitable so as not to dispose of a non-working laptop, but still use it for some time.
An important nuance: the laptop display must be working.
The article provides detailed instructions on how to connect a laptop screen to a computer using a cable, program or video capture card. The methods are also useful if you need to demonstrate in all its “glory” information from a laptop on a large monitor.
Connection using a video capture card
Another way is to purchase a USB video capture card. This will provide an opportunity to seamlessly use both a monitor and a keyboard in a laptop. The board is connected with one side to the PC, the other to the laptop.
You can work with the board from any device equipped with USB connectors. All drivers are included, so there will be no problems installing it. At the same time, the best option is to use a standard wired connection between a PC and a laptop, since this will require fewer resources.
The advice in this manual is very real and useful even for non-computer technicians. The first and third methods involve small additional expenses. the purchase of a cable and a video capture card. The second method is optimal for owners of “apple” devices, there is no need to spend money, just install the application. The choice of the method of connecting a laptop to a PC is up to the user, who only has to study all 3 and choose the most convenient, fast and simple of them.
Switching between display modes
By connecting monitors to your computer, you can select the appropriate display mode.
There are four display modes available in Windows 10:
- PC screen only. The image will be displayed on the first computer monitor or on the main laptop screen. The second monitor will not be used and nothing is projected onto it.
- Duplicate. The content of the main one is copied to the second monitor. This option is best suited for presentations.
- Extend. Two monitors turn into one large virtual screen. This makes it possible to display one file on two monitors, for example, a large photo.
- Second screen only. Only the secondary monitor is used. This mode allows you to check the resolution of the second monitor. Accordingly, if you have a laptop, the presentation from which is projected onto a large monitor, then choose this option for optimal results.
Depending on which device you are using, the appropriate display mode will automatically be selected:
- When connecting a second monitor to a laptop, the display mode is set to Repeat by default.
- When connecting a second monitor to a desktop computer, the default display style is Extend
To quickly switch between modes, press the P key combination, this will bring up the PROJECT sidebar with four options.
You can also select the display mode using the display settings, to do this, open sequentially: Windows settings ➯ System ➯ Display, or right-click in an empty area of the desktop and select Display settings in the context menu that appears.
Then, on the right side of the window, click on the Multiple displays drop-down list and select one of the items.
Then save the selected parameter.
How to set up a second monitor in Windows 10
This guide shows the steps you can take to set up a second monitor in Windows 10.
Windows 10 operating system by default supports multi-monitor systems of various configurations and therefore you do not need to install third-party software to set up multiple displays.
The need to use a second monitor is needed primarily to expand the workspace, which in some cases simplifies the simultaneous execution of several tasks.
It is important to note that some video cards do not support multiple monitors, and that older displays may not always connect automatically.
Further, the article describes the settings of various parameters when connecting a second monitor to a computer.
To connect a second monitor, you need a computer (laptop) or a video card with an additional video signal output to an external display using various connectors, such as HDMI, VGA, DVI port or DisplayPort, as well as an appropriate cable that connects the monitor to the connector (port).
Configuring display options
Setting up and managing displays using Windows is very simple, to do this, open one by one: Windows Settings ➯ System ➯ Display, or right-click in an empty area of the desktop and select Display Settings in the context menu that appears.
Each of the monitors is represented by a small rectangular miniature.
Drag the thumbnails on the screen so that their relative position matches the configuration of the monitors on your desk.
Here you can turn the Night Light function on or off.
Use scaling to enlarge text and other content. (This is suitable for higher resolutions or people with vision problems).
You can also change the desktop resolution.
Select landscape or portrait orientation to change the selected screen orientation.
Multiple displays option allows you to switch display modes (as described in the section above).
In the additional display parameters, you can see general information about the connected displays, as well as the properties of the video adapter for the display by clicking on the corresponding link.
When a second monitor is connected, the taskbar is displayed by default on all displays. You can remove the taskbar from one of the monitors altogether or leave on each of the panels only icons of applications running on this monitor.
To customize the taskbar, open in sequence: Windows Settings ➯ Personalization ➯ Taskbar, or right-click in an empty area of the taskbar and select Taskbar settings in the appeared context menu.
To make the taskbar appear only on the primary monitor, under Multiple displays. set the switch Show taskbar on all displays to Off.
If you prefer the default configuration, where each monitor has its own taskbar, you can set the behavior of these panes using the Show taskbar buttons drop-down list:
Default suggested mode where the same panel is present on both monitors.
The main taskbar and the taskbar in which the window is open
In this case, the taskbar on the main monitor contains icons of all running applications, while on the second monitor only icons of applications that are launched on it appear on the second monitor. For example, on the primary monitor, you are running Microsoft Edge and Word, and on the second monitor, PowerPoint and Excel are displayed. The main monitor taskbar will contain Microsoft Edge, Word, PowerPoint and Excel icons. On the second monitor, there will be only PowerPoint and Excel icons.
In this mode, the taskbar on each of the monitors will contain only the icons of the applications running on this monitor. As a result, if you recall the above example, only the Microsoft Edge and Word application icons will appear on the taskbar of the first monitor, and on the taskbar of the second monitor PowerPoint and Excel.
Background settings on monitors
With a second monitor connected, desktops can be personalized.
To customize the screen design settings, open: Windows Settings ➯ Personalization ➯ Background, or right-click in an empty area of the desktop and select Personalization in the context menu that appears
Then, in the right part of the window, select the appropriate background and right-click on it, in the context menu that appears, select one of the menu items, for example Set for monitor 1
Select the background for the second monitor in the same way.
You can also choose the position of the wallpaper from the Select a position drop-down list.
Reasons why the problem occurs
Windows ten may not see another monitor connected to a stationary computer or laptop for the following reasons:
- Incorrect connection. The user can make a mistake when performing the task, for example, by plugging the VGA cable into the port on the motherboard, not into the connector on the video card. The same goes for using the DisplayPort connector.
- Incorrect computer settings. After connecting the additional screen, the user must perform the initial setting of the parameters. If he does not, then the device will not be identified.
- Problems with the connection interface, connectors. For example, the VGA, DVI or HDMI cables used to connect are damaged, frayed, or inoperable. In this situation, the wires will need to be replaced.
- Viral infection of the PC. As one of the reasons for this problem. If the user is unable to synchronize the PC and the second display with each other, then, first of all, it is recommended to check the computer for malicious software.
- The lack of a driver for the video adapter. Many PC users face this problem. It can be solved in the shortest possible time by downloading the latest driver from the official website of the video card manufacturer and installing it.
Note! The problem can also be caused by damaged connectors on the video card or its physical condition, for example, overheating.
What to do if HDMI and DisplayPort Problems began to appear
Almost all modern video cards are equipped with these connectors. These ports are designed to output a digital signal, that is, an image to a monitor. If there is no image on the second display connected to the PC, then the user is advised to do the following:
- Move the HDMI cable to the adjacent connector on the video card. The video adapter has multiple HDMI ports. Therefore, the cable can be easily rearranged into another connector and check if there is a picture on the screen. Perhaps one of the ports went out, which was the reason for the absence of an image on the monitor.
- Do the same with DisplayPort.
- Disable the use of the connector integrated into the motherboard in BIOS. This circumstance is relevant if there is no picture, both on the first and on the second monitor. It is possible that only integrated graphics are set in the BIOS and the ports of the video card are disabled, not used.
- Inspect HDMI and DisplayPort connectors. If they show chips and scratches, then such ports are most likely inoperative.
Important! If the above manipulations did not lead to a positive result, then it is worth trying another method of solving the problem.
Reinstalling the driver on the video adapter
Often the Windows 7 operating system does not see the second monitor due to an outdated video driver. To solve the problem, it is recommended to use the following algorithm:
- Go to the official website of the manufacturer of your adapter. For example, Nvidia or AMD.
- Go to the section responsible for software downloads.
- Select your adapter model from the list provided and the version of the operating system.
- Download the latest driver.
- Install the software following the installer prompts.
- Restart the PC and check if the image appears on the secondary screen.
Note! During the driver update process, the image on the main monitor may disappear for a few seconds. Do not be afraid of this, tk. the picture will be restored in the near future.
Error installing the driver on the video card
Why Windows 10 does not see the second monitor. ways to fix the problem
Many users connect two monitors to one computer. However, certain problems may arise with the synchronization of these devices. This article will explain why the Windows 10 operating system does not see the second monitor.
Display 2 not active Windows 10 due to VGA issues
Old-style VGA connector, which is now practically not used either on video cards or on motherboards. However, it can also connect two monitors to one computer. If the video card has only VGA connectors, but at the same time these ports are absent on the monitor, then you should use an adapter, for example, from HDMI to VGA.
If the picture on an additional monitor connected to the VGA connector cannot be displayed, then the user is recommended to do the following:
- Carefully inspect the port on the cable and on the video card for integrity. If no external damage was found during inspection, then it is worth first checking the cable on another computer, and then the video card. A similar result indicates problems with the VGA connector, or with the video adapter itself.
- Connect the monitor to the adjacent connector. If there is still no picture on the screen, then the problem is in the video card. In this case, the image should be absent on both displays.
- Take a close look at the VGA to HDMI adapter. Sometimes you can cope with the problem of the absence of an image on the secondary screen by moving the adapter. It may be coming off the cable or connector.
Additional Information! Previously, VGA to DVI adapters were bundled with Nvidia video cards. Now it will need to be bought separately.
On Windows 10, the monitor is not detected due to problems with the converter
As mentioned above, the convector is an adapter from one connector to another. It is needed in cases where the video card does not have a corresponding port for connecting a monitor.
If a user who decides to duplicate the signal from the video card to an additional screen using a converter cannot see the picture on this monitor, then, first of all, it is worth checking the adapter for operability. To do this, you need to insert the signal conversion device into another computer, TV or connect to the adjacent connector to make sure there is an image.
If the user is one hundred percent sure that there is no image on the display due to the adapter, then the device should be replaced, returned under warranty, etc. Most likely, such a converter is not functional.
What to do if Windows 10 won’t detect the second screen
The problem due to which the display does not want to turn on can occur regardless of the version of the operating system. There are several ways to eliminate it, which will be discussed below. Each method requires an individual approach and detailed consideration.