How to enable content on iPhone
Data recovery from backup if required
Everything is simple here: when completely deleting data, make a backup copy, and then, when setting up a new gadget, select “Restore from iCloud copy”. Log in with your ID and find the most recent backup in the list. Recovery may take several minutes, and the process cannot be interrupted!
Why activation is needed
As mentioned above, to activate means to make the very first turn on if you just took the device out of the box and removed the protective film. Or just turn it on, if the phone was flashed before or the settings were reset.
Activation is the initial setting of the gadget’s parameters, namely: language, region of residence, selection of a backup copy (if there is one: described below) and calibration of some additional functions and services. If you have already activated the iPhone, then some of the points should be familiar to you, otherwise. read our detailed article to the end.
Activation is also required for the device to identify your cellular operator and register it in the network database. After the owner inserts a SIM card and turns on the device, the iPhone sends information from the SIM, namely, a unique IMSI (International Mobile Subscriber Identifier) code. In a matter of seconds, all data is analyzed, all information is confirmed, and it is also checked whether the subscriber can access the requested network in which he is located.
How to activate iPhone
Having become the happy owner of a gadget from Apple, you will have to understand not only the system, but also understand how to activate it. Launching is required for the device to start working. This process is easier than it sounds, and the setup itself will take a few minutes. The user may be surprised by the number of lines and fields that need to be filled in completely. In the article material, we will tell you what to enter and choose in each of them. Follow the instructions below carefully, and if you do everything right, then there should be no problems. We will analyze all possible ways to activate a new iPhone.
The activation process may vary slightly. it all depends on the specific model of the gadget. But, in general, the procedure is identical for every Apple device, and the instructions below will work for any model. If you are holding an iPhone in your hands for the first time and / or have switched to a device from the Android operating system, then we suggest reading this detailed guide and learn how to activate on a new device.
IPhone activation process
Before turning on your iPhone, check to see if you have a SIM card of the correct size (micro for older models and nano for newer). Activation will fail without a SIM. You will also need a wireless Internet connection (or cellular connection) or a computer with iTunes (as an option for restoring a backup). And only after you are convinced of all the listed steps, you can safely hold down the Power button (or hold down the lower volume and lock buttons on iPhone 10 and above).
There are no legal methods to activate a device without a SIM card! In versions iOS 7 and higher / lower, such a vulnerability did exist, but since iOS 7.1.2 it has been fixed.
Activation on iPhone
To activate, you only need an iPhone, no more devices are needed. All you need to do is do a series of the following:
- Insert the SIM card into the special tray. The slot is located on the side of the device, namely on the right side (on very old devices, starting with the first iPhones like 2G, 3G, 3GS, the slot is at the top). The hole can be opened using the tool that comes with the device itself on the spread of cardboard paper. If you do not have this device at hand, you can use a paper clip (do not open the tray with sharp objects, such as needles, as this may break). Insert a paperclip or tool into a thin hole and remove the slot, then insert a SIM card of a suitable size (recall, these are micro or nano sizes);
- Launch the gadget. After you have inserted the SIM card, turn on the iPhone. To do this, you need to hold down the power button for a few seconds. When the branded apple icon appears, the key can be released. A welcome screen should appear. Press the Home button or pull up the shutter on iPhone 10 and above;
- Calibration of basic settings. The welcome screen does not leave much choice of actions: you just need to select the language in which all information on the phone will be displayed (application names, notification texts, system labels, and so on). The next step is to select your region of residence;
- Internet connection. It is best to use a wireless Wi-Fi connection to make the setup more stable. After selecting the region and language, the smartphone will check for available internet networks. If there is one, you will have to enter a password. In another case, you can use the mobile Internet if it was previously connected to the SIM card. To do this, click on “Use cellular network”. Both LTE and 3G will do. Important note! iPhone cannot be activated if you use a gadget that distributes mobile Internet as a Wi-Fi connection;
- Configuring services and authentication. Wait for the sync to finish after the last step and proceed with the next settings. Some of them are optional and can be skipped by calibrating a little later.
- Set up Face ID (face recognition) or Touch ID (fingerprint recognition). In both cases, you will either have to place your face in the camera frame several times and perform a circular motion of your head, or put your finger on the Home button several times;
- Come up with a passcode. Initially, you are always prompted to enter a six-digit combination. The number of characters can be changed to 4 by clicking on “Passcode parameters.
- Selecting the type of setting.
- Quick setup. If you are migrating from an old iPhone to a new one, or if you have another gadget in the ecosystem (such as an iPad), then you can speed up the installation process significantly. It is enough to bring the device to a close distance with the new device. The only requirement is iOS 11 and higher;
- Recovering from a copy of iCloud. Move “over the air” all data that was saved on a previous device from Apple. These are photos, videos, notes, messages (it all depends on what you saved in iCloud). Select from the list one of the latest synchronizations after entering your account data;
- Use the gadget like new. If you purchased an Apple device for the first time and did not use iTunes or iCloud services, then select this item and set it up as new.
- Create an account or log in. The next step is to enter your Apple ID login and password. If you already have an account, then just enter the required information. If you do not have an account, then click on “No Apple ID or forgot it?” It is better not to skip this important step, since Apple ID is tied to important services: Apple Pay, iTunes, iCloud and others. If you do not want to create an account right now, then select “Set up later in Settings” and then “Do not use”. Or come up with a username and password right now, additionally answering some simple questions;
- Configuring additional services. Optionally, at will, the user can calibrate geolocation (determination of the current location), set up the Siri voice assistant, True Tone function on iPhones 8, 10 and higher, agree or refuse to share device diagnostics reports with Apple, choose the interface display type, etc. It is not necessary to configure it, you can always find these services in the “Settings”;
- Last step. Press the button “Start work”.
Activation via iTunes
Another method of activating the “apple” device is to enable it for further work through the iTunes utility. The multifunctional program allows you to organize space, buy and download content, back up or delete data. It can be downloaded for free on the official Apple website. For the following instructions, you can not do without a PC and a USB cable.
- Connect the USB cable to the computer (for smooth operation it is better to use the original one);
- The program should start automatically. If it doesn’t, turn it on yourself;
- Wait a while for the utility to recognize the connected gadget and connect to the company’s servers;
- On the left side of the screen, find the icon of your device and click on it;
- The program will ask you to log in to the Apple ID. Register or log in with your username and password. You can skip this step and create an account after complete setup, but, most importantly, do not forget to do it later;
- The next step is iTunes will offer to restore the backup or start the iPhone as new;
- Wait a while. The iPhone should restart. After that, setting up the phone is no different from the previous instructions.
How the two terms “activation” and “Apple’s warranty” are related
Many users, who have picked up an Apple device for the first time, ask themselves the question, what is the meaning of the warranty when starting up for the first time or restarting from scratch? The fact is that the activation process is accompanied by an automatic start of the warranty period from Apple. The warranty period does not start on the day of purchase, but from the moment the Apple ID account was created (or re-authorized).
Important note! The initial text “Hello” (Hello and other greetings in different languages) in no way signals that the device is new. This inscription appears regardless of whether the device is new straight out of the box or used with discarded content.
Activation errors and solutions
If the activation process fails, check the following:
- Problems with your modem or router. Perhaps the whole thing lies in the absence of the Internet via a wireless network or the gadget is disconnected from the outlet. Check Wi-Fi performance on other devices;
- SIM integrity. Make sure that the SIM card has not been damaged (especially when the card was cut with a special tool). Perhaps the contacts are erased due to the fact that the SIM is outdated. Check if it is installed correctly;
- Long waiting for an answer. The response from Apple servers can take a certain amount of time (depending on the company’s workload and data transfer speed). Don’t worry if your phone can’t get permission to use the current carrier for a few minutes. The alarm should be beaten if the wait takes more than an hour;
- Reboot. Roll back progress by entering data again. It is enough to hold down the “Power” button to turn it off, all entered information will be erased;
- Alternative method. If you failed to launch the gadget in the first described way, then try to do it through iTunes.
If for some reason the phone freezes and does not respond, then you should contact Apple service or a service center for diagnostics. But in general, the process of activating the iPhone is not complicated and here you cannot confuse any items or buttons. On most Apple devices, the procedure is the same, therefore, having activated the device once, you can do it the next time without any instructions.
What it is? Advantages and disadvantages of the option
One of the most striking innovations in Apple’s iOS 12 operating system, introduced in June 2018, was a feature called Screen Time. The release itself took place in September of the same year.
This option is designed to help users control their time spent with their smartphone. The program will help you optimize your personal time, greatly simplify time management. This opportunity will appeal to people who strictly monitor their daily routine.
Screen time will be useful for parents as well. With its help, you can limit the time spent on the Internet and games, which is very important when raising adolescents.
The disadvantages of this function include the inconvenience of setting application restrictions. And also the implementation of the notification system when the limit on the use of programs is exhausted. The limit can be extended for a certain time, or the smartphone will suggest ignoring further notifications altogether. And this approach is not very helpful in dealing with addiction.
To prevent the device from disturbing at a certain time, hours of work or sleep, the “At rest” mode is provided. To activate, you need to go to the appropriate section and select a period of time. During these hours, all applications and functions of the gadget will be disabled except for voice calls. You can additionally select other programs that the mode will not touch. And you can calmly rest or work. The device will notify 5 minutes before turning on.
This is a kind of extension of the “Sleep” mode, in which only messages and calls are blocked.
Screen time for family
The new app also lets you customize, though not required, Screen Time for Family. ICloud will help with this. Parents can sync their devices with children’s devices or other gadgets.
This feature can be adjusted in the Screen Time settings. It is easy to add the desired device by following simple instructions. Controlling children in this way is noticeably easier.
All statistics and pastime from the child’s smartphone are viewed on the parent’s smartphone. It is important to set a password for the settings to avoid changing them.
How to turn off Screen Time on iPhone
If the “Screen Time” option is no longer needed and needs to be disabled, you can do it from your smartphone in a few clicks. This is done very easily. In “Settings”, having entered the section “Screen Time”, you need to scroll to the end of the list. There you can see the item “Turn off screen time”. The function will be completely disabled after confirming the action. Now it’s impossible to track your own actions.
But what if you accidentally forgot your password? Apple offers a solution by flashing the firmware using iTunes. This will really help. However, at the same time, all personal data will be deleted. How to act in such a situation?
The password is practically unprotected and stored in a backup copy. From there, you can easily get it. This method is very simple and affordable. It is used by children whose parents have set restrictions on their devices.
At the same time, the method is effective. The source of the utility is the GitHub service. On this portal you need to download the new version of the program.
Next, connect the device to your computer and go to iTunes. You need to change the method of creating a backup from “iCloud” to “This computer” in the connected devices and create it in iTunes.
Then you need to run the downloaded program. After a while, the utility will open a window in which the required password will be.
Screen Time allows you to set restrictions on access to applications. This can be useful both for controlling your own time, and in order to restrict children’s access to games or social networks.
To configure the option, go to the “Application Limits” section.
The smartphone will offer several categories:
- Social network;
- Books and reference books;
- Health and Fitness;
After selecting, you need to set the timer. It automatically restarts at midnight.
The division into categories is a significant disadvantage. However, you can restrict individual applications as needed. To do this, in Screen Time, you need to go to Device Name and select the desired application in Frequently Used. The function “Add limit” will appear in the description.
The device will notify 5 minutes before the timer expires.
What to do if geolocation doesn’t work?
If geolocation does not work, it is hardly a matter of mechanical failure of any part of the iPhone (for example, the GPS module). Most likely, the problem lies at the software level. What to do if a function refuses to function?
Go to the “Geolocation Services” section and make sure that geolocation is activated for a specific application.
Check if the Internet is turned on on the iPhone. The network makes it possible to more accurately position the device. Go to the “Cellular” section of the settings and make sure that the “Cellular data” slider is in the active position.
If the above steps do not work, reset the settings after creating a backup copy (instructions for creating copies are located here). Follow the path “Settings”. “General”. “Reset” and select “Erase content and settings”.
Doing so will erase all data from the iPhone.
You need to check if geolocation works on a “clean” smartphone, that is, before restoring from a backup. If the function still does not work, you should contact the service.
How to enable geolocation on iPhone?
The algorithm for how to turn on geolocation on the iPhone differs only slightly from the method described above for turning off. The user also needs to follow the path “Settings”. “Privacy”. “Geolocation Services”. In the last section, he will see that there is only one slider (main), and there is no list of applications using geolocation.
It is necessary to activate the toggle switch, then disconnect from geolocation those applications that do not really need this function.
How to enable / disable geolocation on iPhone?
Geolocation is the process of locating the location of the iPhone. Unfortunately, it is customary to underestimate the importance of geolocation, despite the fact that without it you will not be able to use the navigator, attach geotags to a photo, or find an iPhone using the function of the same name. Users are more aware of the negative characteristic of geolocation. “gluttony”: by disabling the function, you can significantly increase the battery life of the gadget.
Fortunately, the procedure for activating / deactivating geolocation is quite simple. you can turn it on while using the navigator, and keep it off the rest of the time.
Geolocation and GPS are one and the same?
However, in order for geolocation to be available, it is not at all necessary to turn on GPS. other methods of calculating positional data are possible:
Via bluetooth. The location of the object is determined using special Beacon beacons, which are located in public buildings. airports, hypermarkets. In terms of accuracy, this technology is inferior to GPS, because it provides a reliable result only if the object is stationary. Based on mobile stations. The smartphone knows from which station the GSM signal is sent to it and where this station is located. Therefore, using a special application containing a database of stations, you can use geolocation without GPS. Using this method, reliable results can be achieved in megalopolises where the network coverage is high, but in small cities it is problematic to determine geolocation through stations. Based on the Earth’s geomagnetic field. Navigation based on the planet’s geomagnetic field is the idea of Saratov scientists. Each point on the Earth has a unique set of characteristics by which it is possible to determine the location of an object (including the iPhone). The technology is still being tested, but already now it is being given big advances.
How to Enable Content Restrictions on Apple iPhone 12
Despite the fact that geolocation and GPS are different concepts, and there are several ways to calculate positional data, at the moment it is possible to accurately determine the location of an object only through GPS.
Do I need to disable geolocation of system services?
The subsection “System services” is located at the very bottom of the block with a list of applications that need geolocation.
A user who visits this subsection will see the following:
Before deciding whether to disable geolocation for system services, you should figure out what functions are designed to perform at least some of them.
Geolocation iAd. iPhone sends information to Apple about where and how fast the user is going. This is necessary so that the owner of the gadget can receive only those advertising offers that are relevant to him from a geographic point of view. Popular nearby. The iPhone periodically shares information with Apple about the places where the user made purchases. The information is anonymous and is required solely for statistical purposes. Traffic jams. iPhone sends GPS coordinates and speed information to Apple. This is necessary to replenish the traffic database.
The listed system services are common to most versions of iOS. There is no need to describe all the services. and it is clear that their main purpose is to collect sensitive data about consumer preferences and send information to Apple. People who claim that Americans are spying on Russians through smartphones are not that far from the truth.
If you do not want Apple, tracking your movements and purchases, to replenish its statistical databases, switch the toggle switches in the “System Services” section to the inactive position. It is recommended to do this for all Yabloko users: there is no benefit to the iPhone owner from services, but the charge is consumed faster because of them.
How to turn off geolocation on iPhone?
The user meets a request to activate geolocation during the initial setup of the iPhone and, as a rule, unknowingly confirms it. Therefore, the question of disabling geolocation is more pressing than enabling it. You need to deactivate the function like this:
In the “Settings” find the “Privacy” section (on some versions of iOS. “Privacy”) and go to it.
Go to the subsection “Geolocation Services”. it goes first in the list.
Toggle the toggle switch “Location Services” to the inactive position.
Confirm your intention to deactivate geolocation. click “Disable”.
Please note that the iPhone has a flexible setting: you can allow some applications to use geolocation, others. prohibit. To do this, you need to adjust the sliders located in the block below.
For example, with the configuration as in the figure, you can use navigation, but geotags will not be attached to your photos.
With flexible configuration, the main toggle switch “Geolocation Services” must be turned on.
If you don’t know what geotagging to a photo is, and you think it is an overkill to navigate on an iPhone, most likely you don’t need the geolocation function at all. It is recommended to turn it off. thanks to this measure, you will be able to achieve that your gadget “lived” in offline mode longer. Do not forget about the deactivation of system services, which do not bring any benefit to the owner of the gadget, but the battery is planted faster.
How to connect Wi-Fi on iPhone: complete instructions from the Hamster
IPhone owners often face Wi-Fi connectivity issues. This article explains how to turn on Wi-Fi on iPhone, the most common problems and how to solve them on different models.
How to connect to hidden Wi-Fi networks?
It is possible that the required connection is not displayed in the “Wi-Fi” tab. Most likely, the network is hidden. Most users rarely encounter such hotspots, so they don’t know how to connect hidden Wi-Fi on iPhone.
In the already described way, go to the “Wi-Fi” menu, click on the “Other” tab. You can find out the name of the network from its administrator, who will also tell you the type of security. If for some incredible reason it was not possible to find out the type of security, then the most reliable option would be “WPA2” for home networks, “WPA2 Corporate”. for public.
How to connect to open networks?
Connecting to Wi-Fi isn’t difficult. To understand how to set up Wi-Fi on iPhone, just go to “Settings” and click on the “Wi-Fi” field.
Select a network from the open list. If required, enter the password, and then click on the blue inscription: “Connect.” at the top right of the screen. If the connection was successful, a checkmark will appear to the left of the network name, and a Wi-Fi icon will appear at the top of the screen.
If you often use a specific network, then there is no need to do all the above steps every time. Scroll down and turn on the “Request to connect” feature. The device will now automatically connect to a known Wi-Fi.
On versions of iOS 10.0 and higher, for example, on iPhone 6, 7, turning on Wi-Fi can be much easier. If the “Request to connect” function is enabled, then just swipe up and click on the antenna icon, this is how it looks:
The most common mistakes and problems
Find out how to solve wireless problems in the following
- Connection problems on an already connected network;
- The word Wi-Fi in the settings is written in gray and the slider does not move.
There are a number of measures to fix connection problems on Apple phones:
- The most common way to solve the problem and turn on the wireless module on the iPhone is to turn Wi-Fi on / off.
- If this does not help, then you should delete the network and reconnect to it. To do this, click on the “i” button to the right of the Wi-Fi name.
- Then in the open menu, find the field “Forget this network” and click on it. Now the forgotten wireless connection will appear in the list of available.
- The third option is to reboot the router (disable and enable). Sometimes a factory reset is needed. Usually the “Reset” button is responsible for this.
- You can also reset your network settings. In this case, all Wi-Fi networks, Bluetooth users, VPN and APN settings will be forgotten. This requires:
- go to “Basic” in the settings,
- in the menu that opens, select “Reset network settings”,
If the connection is not restored, the problem is probably in the malfunction of parts or overlays in the work of the Internet provider, which you cannot fix.
To establish a Wi-Fi connection on an iPhone, if the word “Wi-Fi” is grayed out and the slider does not move, you need to:
- Make a hard reboot of the system. It differs from the usual one in that it resets the temporary data, due to which the wireless module can work. To perform the procedure, you must simultaneously hold down the “Home” (central) button and the lock button. Here’s what you need to hold down on the example of the iPhone 5 / 5s / SE:
- The second option will be to reset the network settings, the method has already been described earlier.
- You can also upgrade your operating system. This decision is especially true for users of the sixth iPhone model. This is due to the fact that the new sixes for some reason often have an old version of iOS initially. To update the operating system, you must:
- go to “Basic”,
- in the page that opens, a search for updates will begin, and when one is found, click on the inscription that appears: “Request an update”.
At the time of writing, the newest version is iOS 12.2.
- Owners of the iPhone 4s and 5 are the least fortunate, since the new iOS has not been supported on them for more than three years. But there is one more solution. So, to turn on Wi-Fi on iPhone 4s or 5, gently warm up the part of the phone just above the “apple” with a hairdryer for 30-50 seconds.
And even though in the video below the author heats up for 7-8 minutes, do not repeat this! The user manual says that prolonged heat treatment can lead to an explosion:
Wi-Fi troubleshooting on iPad works the same way as on iPhone. That’s all. If you have any questions, feel free to write in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев! Until!
Potential Problems Connecting VPN to iPhone
If iPhone connects to the network via VPN, you will see information about this under the form of the corresponding icon in the top notification bar. There are situations when he starts to disappear unexpectedly. Often the cause of problems is:
- unstable internet connection;
- crashes on servers offered by VPN.
VPN service from Canada, which rapidly began to gain momentum, closes the top three. And this is not surprising, because even in the free version it provides as much as 10 GB of traffic per month, doing everything necessary to reliably protect users. Naturally, the free version has standard restrictions, for example, there is no way to work with Netflix streaming, so you won’t be able to watch digital content. But already in the free version, you will have access to ad blocking, so Internet surfing will be as convenient as possible for you. High speed of work will be provided by numerous servers around the world.
The service can guarantee users maximum protection while surfing the Internet. At this time, it guarantees high connection speed and reliable user protection. When using the free plan, you will have 500 MB of traffic per day, which is quite enough for just surfing the net. There are about 2500 servers in 25 countries. But in the free mode of operation, the service gives access only to servers located in the United States. This is an incredibly convenient service where you can easily figure out how to turn on VPN on iPhone for free. It uses 128-bit and 256-bit encryption, which will provide a high level of protection. If you want to take advantage of all the functions of this service, you just need to subscribe to a paid plan.
Resetting other settings
In order to fix network problems or fix any other problems, Apple has created a separate reset section where you can restore most of the settings to the factory state. To do this, the settings menu opens, then select “General” and open the “Reset” section. Zeroes will be available there:
- network settings. This includes wi-fi passwords and cellular data;
- dictionary of the keyboard. if the current word selection is ineffective;
- smartphone home screen;
- geotuning. suitable for drastically reducing battery consumption, since the use of location data will be prohibited.
Also, at the top of this section, a reset of all settings is available, and if the user does not know what the action will lead to, it is better not to start the procedure. Also, some connoisseurs of Apple technology talk about the need for regular “Hard Reset” procedure, which leads to a forced reboot of the phone. The result is the reset of the processes in the smartphone, but the system experiences regular overloads, and there is no clearing of memory, except for the operative one.
Another important point is the use of phone memory. Safari browser built into the operating system. When loading sites and content, they are saved in the device’s memory to further speed up loading, but often sites are visited once, and memory is constantly occupied. In addition, clearing the cache will help speed up your phone, as memory fullness also affects system stability.
Clearing the Safari cache will not cause problems, you just need to go to the settings menu, and then scroll down the page to find “Safari”. By clicking on it, the user will go to the application itself, and to clear it, the button to delete cookies and data is pressed. After a few seconds, the memory will be freed up, but there is also an option to delete data from selected sites.
To do this, there is an item “additions”, where there is a section “site data”. The owner of the smartphone sees how much data is stored in the cache from this or that resource, and by pressing the “change” button, and then click on the red button next to the sites that require deletion. The next time you visit the resource, the data will be downloaded again, this must be taken into account, especially when using the mobile Internet.
To restore your phone in case of a malfunction or incorrect cleaning process, it is important to back up your data. This can be done in two ways: through iTunes or directly through the phone. It’s easier to create a copy of data using a smartphone, and this is done automatically when the phone is charging, locked and connected to a wi-fi network.
Copying can be done manually; for this, the user must go to the settings menu, where click on his name located at the top of the display, under the search field. In the menu that opens, select “iCloud”, and scrolling down the page, you can find the item “Backup”, after which it remains only to select the button responsible for its creation.
To copy information from the phone via iTunes, the user will need a computer with the software installed. You need to connect your smartphone via a USB cable and unlock the device (if the phone is unlocked, it may not be detected by the computer). In addition, a request will appear on the screen of the mobile device to grant the computer a trusted status to view data on the phone, this should be allowed.
In iTunes, the icon with the image of a smartphone is selected, and on the working screen at the bottom of the program, the option to create a backup copy will appear. You can send it to iCloud, or you can save it directly to your computer’s hard drive. After the end of the procedure, you can reset the iPhone, and then restore the data using the created copy.
Recovering from a failed cleanup
Having a backup of the operating system, the iPhone user can restore it to a new phone or device that stopped working correctly after a reset or wipe. To do this, the phone is connected to the computer, and then the “Restore iPhone” item is selected using a previously created backup copy.
If desired, a “clean” system is installed by entering the phone into DFU (recovery) mode, and then pressing the Shift key, click on the “iPhone Restore” button. A preloaded operating system file is selected and installation is performed. After that, you can either restore a copy or configure the device “as new”.
In any case, you need to enter the username and password from the Apple ID account, which protects personal data. In addition, you won’t be able to perform a restore or full cleanup without logging out of your Apple account. This is both a protection against using a stolen phone and a way to find your iPhone, since disabling Find My iPhone also requires you to enter your password.
Erase iPhone Content and Settings: What It Means
Apple mobile devices are characterized by stability and reliability, as well as the lack of space for a memory card. The data is stored on the device itself or in the cloud iCloud. Sometimes you need to erase iPhone content and settings, what this means. you will find out in this article.
Almost all programs that are in iOS can be uninstalled, the only exceptions are preinstalled programs like Mail, Safari and some others. To remove an application, you need to click on any desktop icon and hold for 2-3 seconds, after which the icons themselves will begin to shake, and a cross will appear next to each one, on which you need to click and confirm the removal of the application.
The same procedure can be carried out by going to the settings and going to the “Storage”, where a list of all applications will be available. By clicking on a specific program, just click on the delete button highlighted in red, after which the memory will be freed. The same actions can be performed in iTunes, if you connect your phone to a computer, click on the phone icon and go to the programs section.
Near each of them there will be a delete button, after pressing which, the phone is synchronized to clear applications. All data that will be in the deleted programs and not saved in the cloud will be deleted, this should be taken into account when cleaning.
Why is the iPhone cleared?
You may need to reset content and settings on iPhone for several reasons, and first of all, it is a lack of free space on the device. In addition to programs and content that are downloaded to the phone, the smartphone’s memory is also filled with application files and system logs, so it is recommended to regularly clean the device for normal operation. find out, what happens if you reset the network settings iPhone in our separate article.
In addition, you will need to reset iPhone settings and content to:
- pre-sale preparation;
- normalization of the phone;
- optimization of processes within the operating system.
It is important to understand the procedure for cleaning the iPhone so that there are no problems with further starting the device. And before you reset your device, you need to back up your device.
IOS features provide the ability to partially erase data, depending on what needs to be deleted or reset. After all, it often takes no time and effort to set up an iPhone from scratch, but you need to free up space. Therefore, it is worthwhile to figure out how the partial deletion of data in Apple smartphones is performed.
Erase iPhone Content and Settings. What Does It Mean
When purchasing an apple device, each owner expects lightning-fast uninterrupted operation from it and gets very upset when the equipment starts to “freeze” and “slow down”. If this moment has come, do not rush and blame Apple. Perhaps the iPhone’s memory has exhausted its resource and it’s time for dramatic changes.
Why you need to reset settings and content on iPhone
Why shake the phone like that? As a rule, this is a forced measure. The most common reasons why the owner decides to reset the device:
- lack of free space in memory (if the iPhone is used actively, but the owner neglects the rules of “cleaning”, then such a problem will certainly arise);
- pre-sale preparation (having decided to sell the iPhone, it is better to remove not only the photo from it, but also all applications with accounts that store the login and password);
- iPhone repair (leaving the phone in the service center, it is better to also delete the content before that);
- problems connecting to a mobile or wireless network.
As for repairs, dumping content may seem like an unnecessary measure, but it will protect you from possible troubles.
Things to do before resetting settings and content on iPhone
The first thing to do before resetting your iPhone to factory settings and deleting content is to create a backup. It will come in handy if something goes wrong during the deletion or if some information needs to be restored later.
You can back up directly from iPhone or iTunes. To create a copy via phone, you need:
- Open “Settings”.
- Login to name account.
- Select “iCloud” from the menu.
- Click on the “Backup” sub-item.
- Then “Create a backup”.
After performing simple actions, all information from the phone will be copied to the cloud storage, from where it can be obtained at any time after entering your Apple ID.
Before wiping your phone, you need to create a backup
To create an iTunes backup, you need a computer and a USB cable to connect to your iPhone. After connecting, there are several steps left to perform:
- Launch iTunes.
- Go to the displayed iPhone.
- Click “Create a copy now”.
- Wait for copying to finish.
- Check the result by going to the “Devices” tab. “Latest copies”.
If the copying was completed without failures, then in the “Latest copies” information about the transferred files with the name “Today on this computer” will be displayed, indicating the exact time.
Important! The backup will allow you to restore important data on the phone after repair, cleaning. It will also come in handy in case of replacement with a new iPhone, then you don’t have to set up all accounts manually.
Erase iPhone Content and Settings. What Does It Mean
You can check your guess about iPhone congestion in a simple way:
- open the “Settings” of the phone;
- refer to the “Basic” section;
- look into “iPhone Storage”.
Overloaded memory can slow down your iPhone
This section displays information about how much phone memory is used, the “weight” of each application is written out. “Storage”, like the dust collector of a vacuum cleaner, collects all mobile waste in one place. What do you do with an overflowing garbage bag? They clean it. It is better, of course, to do the cleaning after each cleaning, but this rule is not always followed. The same thing happens with the phone: when the memory is overloaded, it needs to be freed up so that the iPhone can continue its usual work without burdens. To do this, you need to erase iPhone content and settings.
Note! All user-installed applications and base program files will be deleted from the device’s memory, and the settings will return to the factory settings.
Deleting Content and Settings on iPhone 5s and Other Models
How do I clear my phone memory? The first thing that comes to mind is to do it manually. However, this method is bad in that all data will be permanently deleted. And the phone stores not only social network accounts, but also passwords, for example, banking applications.
Apple programmers thought over this situation and put in the devices the option of correct cleaning with the ability to restore data through backups. The user can independently perform a full or partial cleaning of his iPhone.
A full wipe erases all data and restores the iPhone to factory settings. So how to reset everything on iPhone 5s? You can do this in the iPhone itself:
- Refer to “Settings”.
- Select “Basic”.
- Then “Reset”.
- Click “Erase content and settings”.
- Enter the password and confirm the action by clicking on “Erase iPhone”.
After that, the phone will go to reboot and turn on completely cleaned.
You can delete content and settings through the “Settings” iPhone
The iPhone also has options for partial cleaning. For example, the device began to have problems connecting to a mobile or wireless network. For a solution, you do not need to delete all data completely, it will be enough to reset the settings. You can reset all settings and return your phone to factory defaults while preserving your data and media. How to remove all settings from iPhone:
- Return to “Settings”.
- Go to “Basic”.
- Select “Reset”.
- Tap on the “Reset all settings” tab.
- Enter the password and confirm the decision to reset.
IOS 13 : How to Enable/Disable Restriction on IOS 13
As a result, the phone will revert to factory settings, but personal information and media files will remain intact.
As options for partial cleaning in the iPhone are provided:
- reset network settings;
- keyboard dictionary;
- home screen;
Perhaps these are not the most clogging up the phone and the positions affecting its operation, but the developers considered that these options should be added to the “Reset” menu.
How to reset account on iPhone? Another important question with a simple solution. Resetting an account most often means unlinking an Apple ID from a specific iPhone. To break the link, you need to click on the name in the “Settings” at the very top of the page. In the menu that opens, find the “Exit” item and activate it. After entering the password, the account will be deleted from the iPhone.
The limited choice of partial cleanup options is frustrating, but better than nothing.