How to install the update on iPhone
Free up memory
Installing a new version of the iPhone system involves downloading a large file and then installing it. Therefore, before starting the device update, it is recommended to free up 2-3 GB of memory. After the installation is complete, unnecessary files will be deleted, so this place will be available again in a similar volume.
You can create a copy using a computer. to do this, by connecting the phone to the USB connector of a PC or laptop, open the iTunes service. After establishing the connection and authorization, it remains only to click the “Create a copy now” button. During copying, you must keep the device connected. in case of disconnection, the process will have to start over.
Support table for update versions on different iPhone models
Not all system versions are supported on different iPhone models. The versioning table is below:
|12.4.8||iPhone 5s; iPhone 6/6 Plus|
|14.0.1||iPhone 6s / 6s Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus. iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone SE / SE 2, iPhone X / XS / XS Max / XR, iPhone 11/11 Pro / 11 Pro Max, 12/12 mini / 12 Pro Max|
Everything will be deleted or not
When the update is installed, user files, including music and photos, are saved to the device. However, due to possible installation failures, it is recommended to make a backup copy of at least valuable documents.
working ways to update your iPhone with your own hands
For the correct and efficient operation of the iPhone, it is necessary to regularly install system updates issued by the manufacturer. The process of preparing, downloading and installing is quite simple, but it has features that cause a restart, which means wasted time.
In order not to lose valuable information, complete the update without errors, as well as find the right solution if problems arise, below are step-by-step instructions.
- To get started
- Make a backup
- Using iCloud
- Using iTunes
- Free up memory
- Connect the charger
- Connect to your home Wi-Fi or unlimited LTE internet
- Basic ways
- Through phone settings
- Via iTunes from a computer
- Reflash device
- Through DFU mode
- FAQ (answers to popular questions)
- What to do if the system does not see the update
- How to downgrade to a previous version of iOS
- How to install the developer beta
- An error pops up and the process gets up
- Support table for update versions on different iPhone models
- How to roll a pre-loaded custom firmware
- How to update iOS with jailbreak
- How to turn off auto-update
- How to recover after unsuccessful completion of the procedure
- Everything will be deleted or not
- Will the memory decrease
- Activation requires an update what to do
- Discharges quickly or glitches
- How to update Safari and other regular programs
- How to install a new software version without backup
- Is it possible if SIM does not work
- What to do if there is not enough memory
- If there is no access to Wi-Fi
- How to remove a downloaded package
- How to speed up the update process
- What date will the next version of iOS be released
- Is it possible to start the process on charging
- Why not update
- The device gets very hot during the process, this is normal?
Preparing to update iPhone via iTunes: duplicating information
Before you start upgrading your iPhone, you should take care of backing up your data in case force majeure happens (for example, the lights in the house are turned off).
For duplicating information, a hard drive of a computer or laptop, as well as iCloud cloud storage, are suitable. If you choose the first option, then you do not need to connect to the Internet to recover information.
- Take the USB cable and plug it into your computer or laptop. Important! The wire must be original, not Chinese.
- Open iTunes. Note! iTunes should be the most recent release.
- Click on the “File” button.
- Go to the “Devices” section.
- Click on the item “Create a backup copy”.
Everything! Now let’s move on to the direct iPhone update via iTunes.
How to update iPhone via computer
Apple programmers regularly develop new versions of software for the iPhone, because without them, the correct operation of operating systems and the expansion of the functionality of devices are impossible. Today we are going to talk about how to update iPhone via computer.
This requires iTunes, a utility that any iPhone owner knows about. There are two ways to carry out the procedure. But first things first.
How to update iPhone via iTunes?
As mentioned earlier, there are two ways to carry out the procedure. Let’s dwell on each of them.
This method is indispensable if you do not have Wi-Fi. The process includes several steps:
- Find a USB cable and connect it to your computer or laptop.
- Launch iTunes. Don’t forget to check to keep it up to date. If you need a new modification of iTunes, then download it only from the official Apple website. It is located at https://www.Apple.com/.
- Click on the picture of the smartphone and in the menu that appears, go to the software update line.
The first method has both a plus and a minus. The advantage is that the files are transferred directly. In other words, you don’t have to free up space on your computer or laptop by deleting your favorite photos and videos. As for the disadvantage, it is that the files will disappear irrevocably if at least one link in the chain (computer or iPhone) is turned off.
Advice! In order to prevent sudden shutdown of devices, check the battery level on them. It should be equal to 100%.
This method is considered preferable, as it does not risk losing all the accumulated wealth in the form of contacts, messages and content.
Before you start updating the iPhone via iTunes using the second method, you need to download the new version of the iOS operating system to your computer or laptop, and also deactivate the iPhone search option on your smartphone. Further:
- Go to iTunes from your computer or laptop. Let us remind you once again that it must be new. If you have outdated iTunes installed, then update it, and only then proceed to the next step.
- Move your finger over the image of the gadget.
- Run the system update using the Shift key on your computer or laptop keyboard.
- A list of files will pop up in front of you. You will need to find a document with the current iOS operating system, then click on “Open” and “Update” (specifically in this sequence).
After you complete the fourth point, the automatic system update starts. If something goes wrong, then don’t worry: disconnect your computer or laptop, as well as the gadget from the electrical network, and then start over. There is no need to duplicate information in advance: it remains in its place.
The advantage of both the first and second method of updating the iPhone via iTunes is that they can be used without Wi-Fi. In addition, they are very simple, thanks to which anyone can handle them. You don’t even need to find out what modification of the iOS operating system is installed on the device.
We hope our article was clear. If you still have questions, then ask them in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев. We will be happy to answer!
Before the procedure
If you are the owner of a 16 gigabyte version of “six”, make sure you have enough free memory in advance. Keep in mind that even if there is enough space to download the archived folder with updates, then when unpacking and installing it on the device, it will take a little more. Therefore, try to always leave a small margin beyond the specified size of the update package. If this is not done, an error may occur at any time. The download may be interrupted, the iPhone may freeze or get stuck in a recovery loop, and at best you will need to do everything again, at worst. force the gadget to be restored, with complete loss of data.
Therefore, remember the three main things to do before updating iOS: make sure you have enough free space, update to the latest version of iTunes, and be sure to back up to your computer or iCloud.
This will minimize the risk of a failed update. And in the event of a system failure. you can recover all your data with virtually no loss.
To be sure to exclude the possibility of errors, it does not hurt to pre-update the operating system of your computer, built-in security programs, as well as the installed antivirus. After that, restart your PC to apply all updates, and you can proceed to download the new firmware to the iPhone.
There are two main ways to download and install updates. The first one. from the iPhone itself, subject to a stable connection to the network via Wi-Fi, the second. using an authorized computer, in the proprietary program menu. iTunes.
The main differences between them are speed and convenience.
The first option is convenient because nothing is required except a smartphone and the Internet. The device will perform the entire procedure itself (if you choose this method. be sure to put the iPhone on charge. it is not known how long it will take to download and install). IOS takes longer to load because, physically, a router that distributes Wi-Fi makes the data transfer speed slow.
The second one is much faster, but you can’t do without a PC and a cable connection.
As soon as a fresh update appears, iTunes will notify you of this when connecting. If you initiate this process yourself, connect the phone to the PC with a cable (preferably an original one), launch iTunes. Find your iPhone among devices in its menu. In the sync settings and parameters tab. initiate the update.
Everything, further processes will proceed automatically. The main thing is that the connection to the network is stable. After downloading the iOS update package, the installation will start, during which the iPhone may reboot repeatedly. this is normal.
But it happens that on your part all the conditions are met, but the iOS update fails. The error is stubbornly displayed, and there is no way to use the device.
Updating iPhone without problems
How iOS 10 works on iPhone 5?
Now let’s talk about the most interesting thing, namely the work of the new iOS 10 on your beloved fifth iPhone. Perhaps I’ll start with the fact that the device is already four years old. If you compare the work with the previous version, then you will not really feel the difference and everything works a little slower. But let’s remember 6 iOS and how the device worked at the start of sales.
You should never update your iPhone if it is first in line to end support. After installing iOS 10, the following surprises await you:
- deterioration in multitasking;
- deterioration in gaming performance;
- slow loading of pages in the browser;
- reducing the operating time of the device.
I can list these disadvantages for a very long time, because a lot of them have already been noticed. In general, only one conclusion can be drawn. the operation of the device has not improved, but only worsened.
iPhone 5 slows down on iOS 10
- Checking the memory on the device. If you have hammered it to the eyeballs, we will rather release it and see how much the device will come to life.
- Disable all unnecessary. We remove the iOS effects that can only load your processor. Go to Settings. General. Universal Access. Reduce Motion.
Immediately, in Universal Access, go to Increase Contrast and activate Decrease Transparency.
Now you should think about a new device, because soon you will get tired of it all. Especially this will not please active users of instant messengers, because first of all, these programs begin to be lagged.
How to update iOS firmware on iPhone 5 yourself?
If you are lucky enough to own an iPhone 5S, you would certainly like to update the operating system to the latest version in order to have the same features as the owners of the iPhone 6S and above. The latest version of iOS 10 has high-tech capabilities, so in this article we will tell you how to update your iPhone 5S.
How To Install iOS 14. How To Update iPhone To iOS 14 Tutorial
The tenth version of the system has proven its advantages in practice, now it’s your turn to find out about how iOS 10 works on the iPhone 5S, whether there is any incompatibility or slowdown in work, and to answer the main question:
Why the iPhone 5S battery runs out with iOS 10
Some users complain that after downloading the new iOS 10 firmware on the iPhone 5S, the battery began to run out very quickly: during normal use, there is not enough charge until the evening! And accordingly, many regret that they have updated the version of the operating system.
Undoubtedly, the new version of the OS weighs more, so it takes up a decent place in memory, plus the updated applications on the iPhone take a lot of charge. There can be many reasons. What to do? In this case, we advise you to remove some unnecessary or rarely used applications. It will also effectively reduce the brightness of the screen manually.
Well, if all applications are necessary, then we advise you to use the power saving mode on the iPhone more often. Also turn off unnecessarily the geolocation mode, which consumes a lot of power. And if the 5S battery has been plowed for a decent amount of time, then it may be worth changing it, because the battery’s effective operating time is designed for a certain number of cycles.
- Should you upgrade your iPhone 5S to iOS 10?
- Should you buy an iPhone 5 in 2016/2017??
- How the iPhone 5 differs from the iPhone 5S?
- How the iPhone 5S differs from the iPhone 5C?
How to install an older version of the app on an iPhone
A person may need to update to an old assembly in several cases: either his operating system does not support new versions, or the developer made some mistakes in the update that prevent the program’s functionality from being used normally. Fortunately, there is an opportunity to install an older application, and through the AppStore.
Apple’s store is quite thoughtful in this regard, and if the user cannot find the current version of the application, he will offer to install a more “old” one. This method works only if the program was purchased or downloaded from the Apple ID that is currently used in the smartphone. over, you need to understand that outdated versions will have bugs and problems that have been fixed in new updates. You won’t be able to change them on your own, and there is no point in asking the developers about it. they have already stopped supporting old versions of the program and the operating system.
There are other methods that rely on using third-party programs to determine the correct and stable version, as well as installing applications from unverified sources. This can lead to unexpected problems and system failures. Viruses should not be ruled out either, but sometimes without third-party programs in any way.
What to do if iPhone no longer supports new builds of apps from the App Store
When there is a desire to update any programs, then you should do it yourself or activate the automatic update function.
Sometimes you really need to install a previous version of the program
If the phone has stopped updating the software or the process of downloading new versions is interrupted every now and then, then it is necessary:
- Connect to a high-speed network via a Wi-Fi hotspot. Updates are often impossible due to unstable mobile internet. If the device is already connected to your home network, then you need to check the quality of the Internet connection.
- Stop and start downloading again. It also happens that the process is slowed down and reset due to system failures or errors. It is recommended to check the operating system for errors and update it itself to the latest version.
- Reboot the device. A simple reboot will help you get rid of system errors and critical processes that prevent you from updating the software version. The method does not always work, but it is easiest to complete it.
When trying to download an application in the AppStore, you may encounter this error
Note! Especially often, such problems occur with the oldest iPhone models. from the first to the fifth.
One way to fix boot problems is to restart
How to install the old version of the app on iOS
An outdated gadget and its operating system may simply not support the new version of the program. Also, the update may be unstable or not meet the user’s expectations in terms of functionality or convenience. To fix this, they often resort to installing older versions of applications. It’s not as easy as it sounds, but it’s doable. This article will tell you how to install the old version of the application on iOS, whether it is possible to roll back the program to the iPad, and how iTunes can help in this situation.
How to roll back an app on iPad
Updates do not always carry only positive aspects: bug fixes or new features. They often fix some bugs, but they are replaced by others, even more destructive. Worse still, trimming some features and adding ads. In the following I will describe how to return an old build of an application using Charles or iTunes, the latter will be discussed later.
- Download Charles software version 4 or higher for Windows or Mac operating systems.
- Launch it. If the process is performed from a Mac, then at the first start, you must press the button “Grand Priviliges”.
- Open iTunes and log in with your credentials (Apple ID), find the program to rollback and click on “Download”.
- Go to Charles and find the Structure panel. In it you need to find the buy.iTunes.Apple.com parameter, right-click on it, and from the context menu that appears, select the item “Enable SSL Proxying”.
- Return to iTunes and stop downloading the program by removing it from the download list. If the process has already ended, then you need to go to the “My programs” tab and uninstall there.
- Try to download the application again. If suddenly the service says that it cannot do this due to the lack of authentication, you must click “Continue” and wait for the download to start. As soon as it starts, you need to stop and remove it.
- Go to Charles and find a similar option buy.iTunes.Apple.com. Open the catalog and select “buyProduct”.
- Open the Contents (Response) tab and select the XML type to display the files. Among other things, you can find such lines as softwareVersionExternalIdentifier and 821085078. The latter contains the current build of the program, and under this line are all identifiers of older versions.
- Select the assembly you want to install and write down its number.
- Return to the “Structure” tab and find the already familiar buyProduct. Right click on it and select “Breakpoints”.
- Find and re-download software in iTunes.
- Once the download has started, Charles will open a new window. You must immediately go to it and select “Edit Request”. “XML Text”.
- Search for the line where instead of points you should insert the recorded identifier and press the “Execute” button twice.
- Go to iTunes and find that the download has started for the version indicated.
- Connect your iPad or iPhone and install the desired app.
How to Update to iOS 14. Tips Before Installing!
Important! If a person is not satisfied with the version or it is not working, then you just need to copy another identifier and repeat the last three steps with replacing the code.
When you first log in with a Mac, you must click on Grand Priviliges
Using iTunes to download an older version of the app for iPhone and iPad from the App Store
You can do the same only in iTunes. This is available when old saves and backups are saved there. The step-by-step instructions are as follows:
- Go to the system settings of your iPhone or iPad and enable syncing with iCloud services.
- Go to iTunes on PC and download the desired application in any version.
- Open the App Store on your phone or tablet and find the same app.
- A cloud will appear next to the download button and if the application is incompatible with the current version, but was installed earlier, then the system will offer to download the old version.
- Wait a while and check the availability and functionality of the program on the device.
The program can be installed through iTunes for more than one minute.
Thus, it was described in detail how to download the old version of the application on the iPhone or iPad and in what ways it can be done. For older models, software installation via iTunes is suitable, and for newer models, downloading using Charles.
ICloud Shared Folders
One of the most anticipated features arrives, first shown at WWDC last summer. With the release of iOS 13.4, iPadOS 13.4 and macOS 10.15.4, users can finally share iCloud folders.
If there is no content in the folder to share, then its menu looks usually.
Select “Share” and you will be able to add or remove users, as well as assign access rights to each folder: only invitees or anyone who has a link.
You can restrict the access level for each user:
Apple finally lets you buy apps for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Mac and Apple TV in one purchase.
The new version of the Xcode 11.4 developer app automatically includes “one-stop shopping” based on the cross-platform Project Catalyst. That is, by purchasing an application for iOS, it becomes available on iPadOS, macOS and tvOS.
You can now continue playing through the Apple Arcade you recently played on your iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, or Apple TV. Available games are displayed in the Arcade tab of the App Store.
And finally, in the games section of the App Store, in the See. all »made a list view.
All of a sudden, Apple has added mouse and trackpad support to all iPads in iOS 13.4. This feature was expected to be part of iOS 14, which will be released this fall, but it is already ready to go. This feature is for the new iPad Pro and its Magic Keyboard (which will be available in May), but all existing iPads can pair with Magic Mouse 2, Magic Trackpad 2, or third-party Bluetooth keyboards and mice.
New Memoji Stickers
Minor updates like these always contain a bunch of new features, bug fixes and security fixes. In this regard, iOS 13.4 does not differ from previous versions of the mobile operating system.
Among the new features are 9 additional types of Memoji stickers.
The Safari browser in iOS 13.4 has been enhanced with Intelligent Tracking Protection to completely block third-party cookies.
Cross-site cookies are blocked by default, which improves privacy. The same was received by the version for iPadOS 13.4 and macOS 10.15.4.
The new Safari is the first browser to completely block third-party cookies by default. With this, the Apple WebKit development team wants to show an example for developers of other browsers to do the same.
It’s fair to say that the new Chromium-powered Microsoft Edge browser does a good job of blocking user tracking by websites.
We also fixed a bug in Safari where colors on web pages would not be inverted when both Dark Mode and Smart Invert were active.
We also fixed the incorrect display of CAPTCHAs and the invisibility of copied text when pasted when Dark Mode is enabled.
In the iOS 13.4 Beta code, there is a mention of the CarKey API, which allows automakers to create apps to integrate into Wallet. However, the final version did not functionally receive its support.
But the CarPlay panel now displays:
- Support for third-party navigation apps.
- Information about the current call.
The developers also fixed the CarPlay bug, due to which the displayed area in the “Maps” application could move away from the current area and fixed the problem, interrupting the connection to some car models.
In the “Mail” application on the control panel, the location of the delete and reply buttons to a message, which were previously located nearby, was changed, which led to accidentally clicking the wrong icon.
The toolbar now displays the always visible 4 icons:
- Send to cart.
- Move message to new mailbox.
- Multifunctional button “Reply”.
- Create a new letter.
The “Reply” button opens a menu with several common functions like “Reply”, “Reply to all”, “Forward”, “Archive”.
Encrypted replies are now automatically encrypted when S / MIME is enabled.
Also in the mail application, errors were fixed, due to which letters could be displayed in the wrong order, and empty lines were displayed in the list of conversations. Removed spontaneous closing of Mail when tapping the Share button in Quick View.
How to install iOS 13.4
iOS 13.4 is compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone SE, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, XR, XS, XS Max, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max.
- iPad mini 4, Air, Air 2, iPad 5th and 6th generation.
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch, 10.5-inch, 11-inch, and 12.9-inch all three generations.
- iPod touch 6th and 7th generation.
You can install iOS 13.4 directly from your device by updating “over the air” through “Settings”. “General”. “Software Update”.
To update to iOS 13.4 using Finder or iTunes on Mac or PC:
- Create a backup via iTunes or Finder (make it encrypted so that all passwords and other personal data are safely stored).
- Connect iPhone or iPod touch with USB to Lightning cable or USB to computer.
- Open iTunes or Finder and click the Refresh button in the General tab.
- Agree to the terms.
- The download will start, after which the system will be updated (it takes about 10 minutes).
Apple periodically stops signing old versions. For example, 13.3 stopped signing on February 13, 2020, and 13.4. April 15, 2020. Only signed versions can be installed. The current one for your device can be viewed here.
For example, if you upgrade from iOS 13.2.3 to 13.4, there is no turning back. Whether it is worth putting it, decide for yourself.