How to make a keyboard on a computer screen
Turn on the keyboard on the screen
Instructions for installing and configuring the on-screen keyboard. Differences between applications that add virtual keys to the screen. Change the color scheme, location and opening method. How to make touch keys larger or smaller.
Free Virtual Keyboard App
Advice! Use the slider in the application window to adjust the transparency level of the keys.
Standard on-screen keyboard
Before opening the virtual keyboard on your computer, add the appropriate item to the bottom panel. To do this, call the context menu by right-clicking on any free space on the taskbar. After that, go to the “Panels” menu section and click on the “Touch keyboard” line.
A new item will appear to the left of the icons in the system tray. Click on it to make an on-screen keyboard. If the section is not added to the taskbar, make sure that Touch Keyboard is enabled. After that, end the current session of the OS using the “Exit” item in the “Start” menu. Log in again and check for the button.
Important! If re-entering your account did not help, restart your computer.
The touch keys on the computer screen have a standard layout set in the operating system. You can change their language by pressing the lower right button. To make the window stretch to the full width of the screen, click the button in the upper right corner, next to the close. In addition to the letters of the selected layout, touch input allows you to add emoticons and special characters. The corresponding sections are in the lower left corner.
Hot Virtual Keyboard
Compared to the previous one, this utility provides more options for customizing the display and screen input functions. After installing on your computer and launching Hot Virtual Keyboard for the first time, a wizard will open that allows you to make the initial setup. It includes four steps:
- Type selection
- Other settings
- The ending
At the first step, the program offers to change the interface language and enable additional features. For automatic loading, activate the first checkbox: “Startup with Windows”. In the absence of a physical keyboard, it is recommended to make the second item active. This will help you enter your password to log in using a mouse or touchscreen.
At the second stage, you can choose the look and style of the main window of the program. Mark the desired theme in the left table, and then select its style in the right. The list of available styles may vary on screen depending on the specified theme.
Note! The scale is set as a percentage of the standard window size. To change it, drag the bottom slider.
The next configuration step allows you to specify additional display and input options. The most useful points to make your work easier:
- Auto hide
- Automatic word suggestion
- Change the position of the active window
What if you need a data input device to send a message and the previous answers didn’t help? Well, now you will receive an answer to the question of how to enable the keyboard on the computer screen. To make a one-time launch, follow the following path:
- All programs.
- Special abilities.
- Screen keyboard.
Agree, it’s not difficult. We know how to turn on the keyboard on the computer screen, but is it convenient to use it? It usually adjusts to the size of the monitor and has its width, as well as half or a third of the height. Although you can take it out in a separate window and resize it at your discretion.
We figured out how to turn on the keyboard on the computer. Do you have any tips for using? Yes. For typing, it is enough just to click on the necessary letters with the mouse cursor. The on-screen keyboard also has an additional numeric keypad. To see it, click on the “Options” button, which is located in the lower right corner. A window will appear in which you must check the box next to “Enable numeric keypad”. Then click the “Save” button. To disable the check mark, you must remove it. We figured out how to turn on the keyboard on the computer, but what to do with the function buttons? Click on Fn. As you can see, all function buttons from F1 to F12 appeared on the virtual keyboard. However, with a “one-time” launch, this function will not be available.
Incorrect setting of the XT / AT switch
It depends on what kind of equipment you are currently working with. Look at the bottom of the keyboard. If you notice any switch, then move it to another position. There is a small chance the computer will not be able to detect the device, so it needs to be restarted.
How to turn on the keyboard on a computer, and what pitfalls there are?
It may be that one of the interfaces of the personal computer is not detected. Quite often this applies to the keyboard. As part of the article, we will look at what can lead to this and how to fix it. In addition, the issue of enabling the virtual keyboard will be considered. After all, with its help, you can work with a computer only with a mouse.
How to bring the keyboard to the screen Windows 7
The on-screen keyboard, like any other application, is invoked by clicking on the executable file named osk.exe. It is located in the System32 system folder, but it is quite difficult for an average user to find this file. To simplify the calling of the utility, the developers of the operating system have come up with easier ways. Below we have added several options for launching it, you need to choose the most convenient.
Three ways to activate the virtual keyboard:
- In the menu that appears after clicking the “Start” button, select “Programs”, then “Standard”, then “Accessibility”, which will open next, select “On-Screen Keyboard”.
- Easier: press the “Start” button and type the same words in the search bar.
- Through the application “Explorer”. Find the program shortcut on the taskbar or click on “My Computer” on the desktop, and in the open window of the root directory, in the search bar, write the desired file osk.exe.
The above options are suitable when it is possible to drive in the name of the application. In cases where an unofficial version of Windows is installed on the computer, then standard methods are not effective. Windows 7 Virtual Keyboard is launched in the following way:
We find on the computer the item “Control Panel”, in it we click “Programs and Features”. Next we find the “List of installed Windows components”.
In this window that opens, we find “Turn Windows features on or off”. We put a tick in the item “Tablet PC Components”. Depending on the translation of the OS, the same item may be called “Using a computer without a keyboard” and do not forget to click in the settings on the checkbox in the item “Autostart utility”.
These manipulations bring up the on-screen keyboard each time the system starts up and dock on top of other components.
How to enable on-screen keyboard in Windows 10
An on-screen keyboard is a special program that appears on the screen of a monitor or tablet for virtual input of information. Performs the same functions as a regular physical input device.
Use the keyboard on the screen in cases where for some reason it is impossible to use the main device or the user has physical limitations in using an external device. If your device has a touch screen, then it is more logical to use this input tool.
It is also believed that the virtual keyboard for Windows is more protected from fraudulent activities, and it is safer to enter passwords and other personal data through it. It is recommended to use this feature in places where computers are used by many users.
This utility is invoked in several standard ways, as well as in ways that differ depending on the version of Windows. Consider the two most popular versions of the operating system Windows 7 and Windows 10 among users.
The interface of Windows 10 is different from previous ones, and you need to understand well in the settings in order to know how to quickly bring up the on-screen keyboard. The utility exists in all versions of Windows, but some users may find the unusual interface confusing.
The developers of this operating system give the user a choice: choose one of two keyboards, slightly different from each other in appearance, but having the same functionality.
Let’s figure out how to call the on-screen keyboard by going into the settings:
- The first option is to add a button to launch the onscreen keyboard in the taskbar, which is usually located in the lower right corner of the screen. If there is no such button, right-click on the taskbar and select Show Touch Keyboard Button from the menu. This action allows the keyboard call icon to appear in a permanent place where the user can always find it.
- The second way is a little more complicated. It is necessary to press the “Start” button and select the “Parameters” item in the list. In the window that opens, you need the “Accessibility” sub-item and the “Keyboard” item. Then. activation of the item “Use the on-screen keyboard”. You can try the Win Ctrl O hotkeys instead. This will enable and disable the virtual input device.
- The search bar that appears after clicking the “Start” button also allows you to call this utility. You just need to write the word “On-Screen Keyboard” in the line. Select the desired result from the proposed result. The appearance of this keyboard will differ from the one described above, and will be similar to the keyboard from previous OS versions. But this method does not work if the standard physical keyboard is disabled.
- The next way to enable the virtual keyboard is the ability to call it using the “Run” command. To do this, right-click on “Start” and activate this command. The line contains the name of the application file osk.exe. Again, this is how the keyboard is called from previous Windows. And this method has the same drawback. when the external device does not function, you will not be able to call the utility.
- The final way to enable the on-screen keyboard is through the control panel. You need to go to this item and find the “Accessibility Center” here. The next step is “Enable the on-screen keyboard”. On a physical keyboard, these manipulations are replaced by a simple Win U key combination.
You also need to know how to enable the virtual keyboard on the Windows locked screen to enter the password in the OS. Everything is provided here: there is an icon, by clicking on which you get to the “Accessibility” menu. Then find the item you are interested in and enter the password.
Appearance and settings of the virtual keyboard
Regardless of which operating system is used, both the on-screen keyboard Windows 7 and Windows 10 look almost the same. Uses a standard set of keys, only the default is no numeric keypad.
However, the so-called keyboard shortcuts do not always work. For example, switching the language. In this case, you can change it using the mouse and the tray icon.
For additional keyboard settings, click on the “Options” button. In the menu that opens, the following are available:
- modes of entering characters: by pressing the mouse cursor, holding the cursor on a button or scanning;
- control of sound effects;
- customizing the appearance of the utility: the ability to add additional sections or remove them;
- run autocomplete. But remember that this feature is not available for all languages.
The standard settings of the on-screen keyboard are usually sufficient for full use of the computer. If this functionality is not enough, you can download the extended version of the application and use it.
You can configure the equipment after installation in the following way. To switch between layouts, you can use a convenient key combination:
- to fix them, you need to click the “Languages” tab in “Regional and Language Standards”, then “Languages and Text Services” and “Details”;
- in the “Languages and text input services” window, use one by one in Options Settings. Keyboard Options;
- then in the “Additional parameters” press “Change keyboard shortcuts”, where it is possible to rearrange the keys at your discretion.
After displaying the virtual version on the screen, the user sees in front of him an analogue of the physical device. But it lacks a digital block and it is small, which can be changed in the “Parameters”. To do this, you should:
- put a tick in the “Sound notification”;
- mark “Numeric keypad”;
- hereinafter “Hovering the pointer over the keys”.
If the sound is annoying when you press the keys, you should uncheck the corresponding box.
To switch the language, you must first use Alt, then Shift, then Shift again.
To use hotkeys, you need to successively press Ctrl, and then Z.
To change the key layout, you must press Alt, and then Shift and again the first key, after which the changes will take place.
You can make additional adjustments through the lower part of the version using the “Options” button. You can know exactly what actions should be performed thanks to the “Help”.
How to enable the keyboard on the monitor depending on the OS
The previous methods, apart from the second, are relatively universal. The following take into account the specifics of each version of the Windows operating system, from XP to 8.
How to display the keyboard on the monitor screen?
The keyboard is one of the most vulnerable parts of a computer. What users do not do with it. fill in, clog with crumbs, drop heavy objects.
We display the virtual keyboard on the laptop screen
The presence of an on-screen keyboard is a useful device for a user whose activity is associated with the use of a computer. She will be able to make up for the lack of a button analogue. This function is available for download and is also built into the OS. If all these steps are not available, you need to read in detail the instructions on how to display the virtual keyboard on the laptop screen for different versions of Windows.
How to display
A virtual keyboard is an analogue of a physical version, which is displayed directly on the screen, has equal functionality and reacts to a mouse or joystick. It is necessary in case of broken buttons or limited user capabilities.
Many users start looking for information on how to bring the keyboard to the laptop screen when faced with a real need. There are several options, and they are nothing different for different operating systems. from Windows XP to Windows 10.
- You can turn on the keyboard on the screen on the laptop by clicking on the link: start. programs. special features. on-screen keyboard.
- The second option is to turn on the numeric keypad on a laptop or PC. in the Windows search engine, enter the name of the utility or its first letters, and then open the found application.
- You can run the utility through the “run” menu by entering “osk”.
- The last way to start: “parameters”. “special features”.
How to display the keyboard on the monitor screen
The keyboard is one of the most vulnerable parts of a computer. The largest percentage of breakdowns falls on it, since most often users violate such safety recommendations as the undesirability of eating at the computer. The result is the ingress of crumbs, water and other liquids onto the device, as well as mechanical damage due to the fall of heavy objects (for example, a mug or plate), which can disable it at the most inopportune moment. Fortunately, the creators of Windows took care of such cases when a breakdown occurs, and the user needs to urgently type some text. the keyboard can be displayed and operated with a mouse or touchpad.
How to make quick access
How to enable the on-screen keyboard on a laptop is generally clear, but how to make it so that you don’t have to search for it for a long time? There are also several solutions for this.
- In Windows 10, going from “start” to “on-screen keyboard”, you do not need to start it, but right-click and select “pin to the start screen”. Now by pressing “start”, the user will see a utility with virtual keys on the right side in selected programs.
- In Windows 8 and earlier, it is possible to pin the application to the taskbar. To do this, again through the “start” you should find the utility and, by calling its context menu, select “pin to the taskbar” or “pin to the start menu”.
- Another option to provide quick access is to bring the application shortcut to the desktop. To do this, again you need to find the program in “accessibility” and select “send to desktop” in the context menu. This is a way to make a keyboard on a laptop screen without unnecessary complications, just click on its icon.
- In the Windows 7 operating system, users can configure hotkeys to access the application. To do this, using the RMB, open the properties and in the “shortcut” tab, write the keys for quick access. By default, the system sets the combination “ctrlalt”, the user has to select the third key, most often it is the letter k, which is a reference to the English word “key”. “key”.
In the list of all applications, at the very bottom, find the Accessibility tab and open it. In the list that opens, click on the tab. On-Screen Keyboard.
Next, you will be presented with an on-screen keyboard.
How to pin the onscreen keyboard to the taskbar
Make sure that you do not constantly open the on-screen keyboard through the start menu, then you can pin the on-screen keyboard to the taskbar. Right-click the on-screen keyboard icon in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. In the window that opens, click on the tab. Pin to the taskbar.
You can now very quickly open the onscreen keyboard through the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. Just click on the on-screen keyboard icon and the on-screen keyboard will open.
An onscreen keyboard may be the best way to enter information if using the physical keyboard is difficult for one reason or another. It looks just like custom. Letters can be selected with mouse, switch or joystick.
There are several situations where an onscreen keyboard can come in handy, of which three are the most common:
- Some keys on your physical keyboard do not work, this often happens after water gets in, especially on a laptop where changing it can be difficult.
- The physical keyboard has completely stopped working. This happens due to problems with drivers and viruses.
- You need a foreign language keyboard. Even if it works, it is extremely difficult to enter text in a foreign language from a physical keyboard, which is signed only in Cyrillic and Latin. In this case, this utility will greatly simplify the work with the computer.
This does not mean that you will have to use it all the time, but it is quite possible to wait for some time before repairing with it.
Third-party programs for controlling the keyboard from a computer
The standard Windows utility is a handy application that allows you to cope with control, but this is not the only development. There are a lot of them, and each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages.
|On-Screen Keyboard Portable||The program is a virtual keyboard that you can install on a USB drive and run it on any PC. The keyboard itself is not particularly attractive, but functional. You can resize it to choose which is good, and it remembers your settings when you exit. This type of keyboard protects you from hardware keyloggers, but not keylogger software, so it does not protect you from malware that tries to save entered passwords and so on.||Lightweight and portable|
|Exbi Keyboard||This on-screen keyboard allows you to easily enter texts in different languages without having to install a complete language pack. It can handle multiple languages at the same time. It comes with English and Urdu by default, but you can add other languages as well, and switch easily by pressing CTRL Space. |
Free and supports many Unicode languages
|The user can change the background color and the keys themselves|
|Jitbit Virtual Keyboard||You can type with mouse, stylus (digital pen used by Tablet PC touch screen devices). |
The virtual keyboard also protects your trusted data by preventing it from being tracked. Enter secure passwords, personal data, secret information using the Jitbit virtual keyboard
|Completely free, protects your confidential data|
Note! Be careful with the apps you use. Trust only trusted developers, and, of course, use a standard Windows utility whenever possible to protect yourself from intruders.
So, breaking the physical keyboard is not a problem, this problem can be solved in two clicks. Use one of the suggested methods, and then you can easily wait until the day when your physical keyboard is repaired.
Turn on the onscreen keyboard
Open the “Start” menu by clicking on the button of the same name, the Windows key or Ctrl Esc. Open the control panel.
Go to the “Accessibility” section. This section contains links to help you make changes to your computer settings for better usability. Changes made to the computer settings will be saved so that it will be easier to use the computer the next time you log in.
You can also use these tools to undo any changes you made and revert to the original computer settings.
Go to the section “Ease of Access Center”.
In the “Ease of Access Center” menu, click on the “Enable On-Screen Keyboard”.
As soon as you click on this button, a keyboard will appear on the screen. It can be used immediately, but you can also make some changes.
If you look closely at it, you will notice two special buttons in the lower right corner. These are the Options and Help buttons. Click on the first one to make personal changes.
- input by pressing a button with the mouse;
- input by hovering and holding the cursor in one position.
For the second case, it is necessary to adjust the individual pressing duration. It is convenient when working on a laptop without a mouse.
You can also configure this using the keyboard shortcut:
- “Alt” “C” to enter each individual character with a mouse click.
- “Alt” “H” to access the keyboard with a mouse or other pointing device by hovering over a character to enter it.
- “Alt” “S” to access the keyboard using the spacebar, switch, or gamepad.
Once the keyboard is set up, you can pin it to the taskbar for quicker, easier access.
If you have problems with a regular keyboard, or it is absent altogether. the on-screen keyboard can come to your help, it allows you to type text using the mouse, or if your screen is touch-sensitive. you can enter text with your fingers.
Windows 7, 8 and 10 have different options for launching the on-screen keyboard, and in today’s article we’ll cover all of them.
Windows 10 onscreen keyboard
In order to launch the on-screen keyboard quickly and in just two clicks. right-click on an empty spot on the taskbar and select “Show touch keyboard button”
in the system tray, that is, an on-screen keyboard icon will appear near the clock, now to start it, just click on the icon with the left mouse button
a regular keyboard will open, and you can type the text you need, if you click past the keyboard. it will disappear from the screen and you need to start it again from the icon near the clock. At the top right of the keyboard, there are icons with which you can increase or decrease the keyboard, as well as drag it to the place you need.
The second way to launch the on-screen keyboard in Windows 10: find search = enter “Keyboard” there and select “On-Screen Keyboard” (this will open a more complete keyboard, with more functions)
The third way to launch the on-screen keyboard in Windows 10: go to “Start” = Settings = Accessibility = Keyboard = in the “On-screen keyboard” field opposite “enable the on-screen keyboard” move the slider to “On.” (a full keyboard will open with all the necessary buttons and functions). You can fix this keyboard, or put it to make it transparent, you can also drag it to the place you need.
Also, on the Windows 10 login screen, at the bottom right there is an “Accessibility” icon in which you can select the on-screen keyboard.
Launch Windows 8 and 8.1 On-Screen Keyboard
The first way to launch the on-screen keyboard in Windows 8 and 8.1: click on the taskbar in an empty space with the right mouse button = select “Panels” = Touch keyboard
A keyboard icon will appear next to the clock, and you can open the on-screen keyboard as needed with a single left-click on the icon
The second way to open the on-screen keyboard in Windows 8 and 8.1: in the search bar, enter “keyboard” and select “On-screen keyboard”
a keyboard with all the buttons and functions will open in front of you, you can dock it in the right place on the screen or set it to disappear (so that it appears only when you hover over it with mice)
The third way to open the on-screen keyboard in Windows 8 and 8.1: right-click on the start button and select “Control Panel” = open “Accessibility” = “Accessibility” again = click on “Enable on-screen keyboard”
A full keyboard with all the possibilities will open in front of you and you can freely type the text you need. Just like in Windows 10, there is an “Accessibility” icon on the login screen, clicking on it you can launch the on-screen keyboard.
Open Windows 7 On-Screen Keyboard
The first and easiest way to launch the on-screen keyboard in Windows 7: go to the search bar through Start = write “keyboard” = select “On-screen keyboard” from the found (you can also right-click on the “On-screen keyboard” label and pin it to the panel tasks, or in the Start menu)
The second way to open the on-screen keyboard in Windows 7: go to “Start” = all programs = Standard = Accessibility = select “On-screen keyboard” (you can not only open it, but also pin it to the start menu or taskbar by clicking on it right-click and select the one you want)
The third way to open the on-screen keyboard in Windows 7: go to “Start” = Control Panel = Accessibility = Ease of Access Center = click on “Enable On-Screen Keyboard”
Also on the Windows 7 login screen, you have the option to use the on-screen keyboard. These ways to open the on-screen keyboard should be enough for you, if there are additions. write comments! Good luck