How to make a second screen on a laptop
Windows does not see the second monitor. why and what to do?
If you connected a second monitor or TV to your laptop or computer via HDMI, Display Port, VGA or DVI, usually everything works right away without the need for any additional settings (except for selecting the display mode on two monitors). However, it sometimes happens that Windows does not see the second monitor and it is not always clear why this is happening and how to fix the situation.
This manual details why the system may not see the second connected monitor, TV or other screen and possible ways to fix the problem. The following assumes that both monitors are guaranteed to work.
Checking the connection and basic parameters of the second display
Before proceeding with any additional, more complex methods of solving the problem, if it is impossible to display an image on a second monitor, I recommend following these simple steps (with a high probability, you have already tried this, but I will remind you for novice users):
- Recheck that all cable connections on both the monitor and video card end are in order and that the monitor is turned on. Even if you are sure that everything is fine.
- If you have Windows 10, go to the screen settings (right click on the desktop. screen settings) and in the “Display”. “Multiple displays” section, click “Detect”, perhaps this will help to “see” the second monitor.
- If you have Windows 7 or 8, go to Display Settings and click Find, Windows may be able to detect the second connected monitor.
- If you have two monitors displayed in the parameters from step 2 or 3, but there is only one image, make sure that “Show only at 1” or “Show only at 2” is not set in the item “Multiple displays”.
- If you have a PC and one monitor is connected to a discrete video card (outputs on a separate video card), and the other to an integrated one (outputs on the rear panel, but from the motherboard), if possible, try connecting both monitors to a discrete video card.
- If you have Windows 10 or 8, you just connected a second monitor, but did not reboot (but only shutdown. connect the monitor. turn on the computer), just reboot, this may work.
- Open Device Manager. Monitors and check if there are one or two monitors? If two, but one with an error, try deleting it, and then from the menu select “Action”. “Update hardware configuration”.
If all these points have been checked, and no problems were found, we will try additional options to fix the problem.
Note: if adapters, adapters, converters, docking stations, as well as the recently purchased cheapest Chinese cable are used to connect a second monitor, each of them can also be the cause of the problem (a little more about this and some of the nuances in the last section of the article). If possible, try other connection options and see if a second monitor becomes available for display.
Video card drivers
Unfortunately, a very common situation among novice users is trying to update a driver in the device manager, receiving a message that the most suitable driver has already been installed and then making sure that the driver is really up to date.
In fact, such a message only says that Windows has no other drivers and you may well be told that the driver is installed when “Standard VGA graphics adapter” or “Basic Microsoft video adapter” is displayed in Device Manager (both of these options indicate that that the driver was not found and a standard driver was installed, which can only perform basic functions and usually does not work with multiple monitors).
Therefore, if you have problems connecting a second monitor, I strongly recommend installing the video card driver manually:
- Download your graphics card driver from NVIDIA (for GeForce), AMD (for Radeon), or Intel (for HD Graphics). For a laptop, you can try to download the driver from the official website of the laptop manufacturer (sometimes they work “more correctly” despite the fact that they are often older).
- Install this driver. If the installation fails or the driver does not change, try to remove the old video card driver first.
- Check if the problem was resolved.
Another option related to drivers is possible: the second monitor worked, but, suddenly, it ceased to be detected. This may indicate that Windows has updated the video card driver. Try to go to the device manager, open the properties of your video card and roll back the driver on the “Driver” tab.
Additional information that can help when the second monitor is not detected
In conclusion, some additional nuances that can help you figure out why the second monitor is not visible in Windows:
- If one monitor is connected to a discrete video card and the other to an integrated one, check if both video cards are visible in the device manager. It happens that the BIOS disables the integrated video adapter if there is a discrete one (but it can be enabled in the BIOS).
- Check if the second monitor is visible in the proprietary control panel of the video card (for example, in the “NVIDIA Control Panel” in the “Display” section).
- Some docking stations that connect more than one monitor at once, and with some “special” connection types (for example, AMD Eyefinity), Windows may see multiple monitors as one, and all of them will work (and this will be the default behavior ).
- When connecting a monitor via USB-C, make sure that it supports connecting monitors (this is not always the case).
- Some USB-C / Thunderbolt docking stations do not support all devices. This sometimes changes in newer firmware (for example, when using the Dell Thunderbolt Dock, not every computer or laptop works correctly).
- If you purchased a cable (not an adapter, but a cable) HDMI. VGA, Display Port. VGA to connect a second monitor, then very often they do not work, since they require support for analog output at the digital output from the video card.
- When using adapters, the following situation is possible: when only the monitor is connected via the adapter, it works properly. When connecting one monitor via an adapter, and the other directly with a cable, only the one connected with the cable is visible. I have guesses why this is happening, but I cannot offer a clear solution to this situation.
If your situation differs from all the proposed options, and your computer or laptop still does not see the monitor, describe in the comments exactly how, to which video card the displays are connected and other details of the problem. perhaps I can help.
We turn to the main computer (to which we connect the “second display in the form of a laptop”). Once again I will add that this PC must also have a Wi-Fi adapter and Windows 10.
1) First, you need to press the WinP button combination. so that a side menu appears with a choice of projection options. Click on the link “Connect to a wireless display”.
By the way, if the WinP combination does not work, click on the notification icon in the lower right corner of the screen and select the “Connect” option.
2) Next, in the list of available devices, our “laptop” should appear (which is waiting from STEP 2 when we connect to it. ). We select it and wait 5-10 seconds.
As a rule, after that, an image from your computer begins to appear (broadcast) on the laptop screen.
Click again on WinP and select projection options. “Extend” (this will allow you to display separate windows on it).
Now you need to open the Windows 10 settings (Wini combination) on the laptop, which we will have as a “second display”.
Then go to the “System / Project to this computer” section (if you do not have this tab, it may be worth updating the OS). Further, if your settings in this tab are “gray” and they cannot be changed, click on the link “Additional components”.
Projecting to this computer. add. Components
Then install the optional Wireless Display ().
After that, set the mode “Available everywhere”. without entering a pin code. and click on the link “Launch the application to connect.”. See example below.
Launching an application to project onto this PC
Everything, as soon as a window appears on your screen (like I have in the example below), then the laptop is ready to be in the role of a display and all that remains is to connect to it.
How to create a second monitor from a laptop (or a few words about WiDi. Wireless projection to this computer, with sound)
Sometimes it would be nice to have a second monitor in the workplace; (after all, you can display a sports broadcast, an interesting film, TV series, etc.).
How to use a Laptop a Second Monitor
- nothing extra you do not need to buy;
- it is easy and quick to connect, and also easy to remove from the desktop
- no wires will appear on the table;
- in addition to the image, sound will also be supplied (fortunately, laptops have speakers. It may be relevant in working conditions where there are no speakers in an office PC);
- you can connect to such a display from any other computer (and even a phone!).
STEP 1 (conditions)
In order to start transmitting image and sound wirelessly to a laptop (and make a so-called “second screen” out of it), you need to immediately stipulate several. prerequisites:
- At first. all devices participating in the connection must have Windows 10 version 1809 ( how to find out your OS version);
- Secondly. also, all devices must have a Wi-Fi adapter (in the vast majority of laptops it is, on a PC. a separate module is most often bought).
By the way, drivers must be installed on the Wi-Fi adapter (in some cases, the adapter can also be turned off. laptops may have special keyboard shortcuts for this. Recheck this point!).
How to turn on Wi-Fi on a laptop and connect to the network. instructions
If the laptop sees available Wi-Fi networks, then Wi-Fi is working! (and this is what we need)
Actually, then all that remains is to launch some player (for example) and move its window to the left (right). Thus, it will be possible to work with documents on the main computer screen, and on the “connected” one. to watch a movie in the background.
Note: the sound is automatically fed to the laptop with this connection! WiDi technology. wireless content transfer between mobile devices (1080p HD video and 5.1 surround sound).
- of course, you can “create such a second display” both from a laptop and from a PC (the main thing is that they have Wi-Fi adapters and the corresponding versions of Windows 10);
- the distance between devices can be quite large (tested: everything is OK up to 10 meters). In my photos below, I’m special. posted them together.
Photo 2: of course, the laptop can be placed further from the current computer
Perhaps the only significant drawback: the image is transmitted to this connected laptop display with a slight delay of 0.3-0.5 seconds. For watching a movie, music, etc. “good”. it does not matter, but for games or graphs, such a delay can be disastrous.
By the way, do not rush to sell or donate your old (or simply unnecessary) laptop. It can be used in other ways ().
How to split the screen in two on a Mac?
Hold down the full screen button in the upper left corner of the window. When the button is pressed, the window is minimized and can be dragged to the left or right of the screen. Release the button, then click a window on the other side of the screen to start using both windows at the same time.
How to split the screen in two?
So, now to split the screen into two equal parts, just open the required window and press the key combination “WIN left or right arrow”. The previously selected active window will move to the selected side, and the rest of the windows will be presented in the form of thumbnails.
How to split the screen into 2 parts on an iPad?
To split the screen equally between two programs, drag the program divider to the center of the screen. To enable Split View in Slide Over mode, swipe down from the top of the app. To exit Split View, drag the splitter above the program you want to close.
How to use an external monitor on a laptop as the main monitor?
Re: How to make an external monitor the main one when the laptop display is inoperative
- Ctrl Alt T.
- Type (blindly): lXRandr and press Enter.
- Down Arrow. Twice
- Right Arrow. Twice
- OK button (it will wait for you 15 seconds on the TV), but you don’t wait. click on OK
How to split iPhone screen in two?
Set up split screen mode on iPhone or iPad
- Open the second app. To split your screen on iOS, you just need to open the second app and minimize it.
- Open the main application. Now open the main application with which you want to split screens.
- Drag second app.
How to open two windows at the same time on the screen?
The window will take up half of the screen and attach to the right or left side of it. This will allow you to easily and quickly place two windows on the screen, which will be completely visible at the same time. There is a shortcut key Win left or right arrow for this function.
How to make the main second monitor?
How to change the primary monitor in Windows 7
- Go to the screen resolution settings: Control Panel All Control Panel Items Screen Screen Resolution or right-click on the desktop and desktop and select “Screen Resolution”:
- Select the second monitor by clicking on the picture with the number “2”
- Check the box “Set as the main monitor”
DVI to the rescue
But this is only one of the solutions. The second screen can be connected in a different way. For example, via DVI. Laptops often do not have such a connector. What to do? You will have to use a special adapter, which was described earlier.
To connect a second monitor via DVI, you need:
- Disable PC. Install the monitor in a suitable location.
- Use a wire with DVI connectors to connect the computer and display. If the video card does not have a suitable slot, you need to use a DVI (VGA).HDMI adapter.
- Turn on PC and monitor.
- Wait for driver initialization.
- How do I enable the second screen? Windows 7, like other operating systems, allows you to use your monitor as additional space or as a duplicate desktop. It remains to customize the image on the PC the way the user wants. The standard settings are suitable for this.
Quite a simple and quick solution. The good news is that setting up the screen does not imply any serious manipulation. Even a novice user will cope with the task.
How to make a second screen on your computer
Today we have to understand how you can connect a second screen on a computer. What happens to the device at this moment? How do I configure my PC to work with multiple screens? Sorting out all this is easier than it seems. Even a novice user will be able to bring the idea to life.
The first step is to figure out what items can be useful to a person. You can’t just make a second screen on a PC. To do this, you need to prepare a certain inventory.
- Multi-output video card. Usually these are HDMI and DVI. If there are no exits, you can forget about bringing the idea to life. Fortunately, all modern video cards have at least HDMI output.
- Connection cable. In some cases, a special adapter is needed. For example, DVI-HDMI.
- Second monitor. It may even be a TV.
Usually nothing else is needed. The second screen on the computer can be connected using all these items.
Let’s start with the most common scenario. Most often, the second monitor is connected as a TV via an HDMI cable. This is not as difficult as it seems.
The algorithm of actions required to connect a second monitor boils down to the following manipulations:
- With the computer turned off, plug the HDMI cable into the desired jack. At the same time, install the second screen where it will be convenient for the user.
- Connect the other end of the wire to a TV or monitor. Connect the device to the network.
- Download PC.
- Wait until the driver for the connected monitor is installed. On Windows 7 and newer versions, this process occurs automatically.
- Turn on the screen. If we are talking about TV, then in the settings it is necessary to set the display of the image via HDMI.
- In the PC settings, set the parameters for displaying information on the monitor. The second screen can serve as a duplicate of what is happening on the computer or serve as additional space. How exactly the display settings are set will be discussed later.
Done! After the done manipulations, the user will be able to work with multiple screens using an HDMI cable.
Setting up the monitor
How to make a second screen on a PC? After the performed operations, it is necessary, as already emphasized, to configure the devices. How exactly the monitor / TV is used will depend on the parameters set.
To set up a second display, after connecting it is necessary:
- On a free space on the desktop, click on the right mouse button. In the context menu, select the “Screen resolution” section.
- In the “Screen” section, set the desired display as the main one. Here you can adjust the image resolution.
- To set the monitor as the main one, you need to check the box next to “Make the main monitor”.
- In the “Multiple screens” section, set the desired parameter for using the monitor. For example, you can expand the space on your PC or use your monitor / TV as a duplicate. “Display desktop 1” displays the image only on the main monitor (numbered 1), “display desktop 2”. acts in the same way, but the picture is shown on the second display.
- Click on “OK” to save the set parameters.
In fact, everything is much simpler than it seems. All the proposed manipulations allow you to quickly and easily activate the second screen on the computer.