How To Make The Monitor Main Display Win 10
How to enable HDR on my Windows 10 computer?
HDR stands for High Dynamic Range and is a technology that offers a richer and more colorful viewing experience on your screen. With HDR, you see more detail in both the shadows and highlights of the scene. With HDR, you get brighter, brighter and more detailed images than a standard display. HDR is great for immersive. including movies and games. Some people say that HDR improves the viewing experience more than high definition 4K or 8K. If you have a new Windows 10 PC that supports HDR, you can enable this display technology. That’s how
How to enable and configure HDR in Windows 10
If you’ve met the general requirements, it’s time to open the Settings app in Windows 10. One quick way to do this is to press Windows I on your keyboard. Then go to System.
In the column on the left, select “Display”, if not already selected by default.
Case find the section “Windows HD Color” and turn on the switch “Play games and HDR applications”.
Windows 10 turns on HDR and asks if these display settings should be saved. If everything looks good, click or Tap Save Changes. Otherwise, click Revert or wait a couple of seconds until Windows 10 reverts to previous display settings with HDR disabled.
HDR is now enabled. However, for the best HDR experience, click or tap on the link that reads “Windows HD Color Settings”.
You can now see more settings for your display.
Turn on the “Play HDR games and apps” and “Stream HDR” switches so that you can enjoy HDR in games, applications, etc. for example on YouTube.
Scroll down the list of settings and you will see a preview that shows how it looks with your current settings. Play it to see if you’re satisfied. Then see the “Appearance of SDR Content” section. SDR stands for Standard Dynamic Range. This is your usual setting. when HDR cannot be used.
The problem is that when HDR is enabled, standard content, not HDR capable content, can look terrible. You can improve the quality for SDR content by using the SDR Content Appearance slider. Adjust the slider until a balance is achieved between the two image samples shown in Windows 10. You are now done setting up HDR in Windows 10 and hopefully you can enjoy high quality content.
I am not happy with the image quality after enabling HDR in Windows 10. What should I do?
HDR can provide immersive and beautiful on your Windows 10 PC. However, due to the lack of standardization, there are many flaws in this technology and it does not provide a plug and play experience. You not only need HDR-capable hardware, but also an HDR-capable operating system, apps, games, and content. Therefore, you have the chance to run into problems such as standard SDR content looks too bright or too dark, colors are not displayed correctly, etc. If you’re having trouble, we recommend this support guide from Microsoft: HDR and WCG Color Settings in Windows 10.
What you need to enable and use HDR in Windows 10
First of all, you need a 1080p, 4K, or 8K display with HDR support. This could be a computer monitor like the trendy ASUS PA32U that we tested, or a Smart TV like Samsung 4K UHD 7 Series. HDR must be enabled on your monitor or TV. Some HDR capable displays do not have this feature enabled by default, so you should check if you have it enabled.
Second, you need a modern PC with a processor and card that works with HDR. Intel introduced HDR support in its 7th Gen Intel Core processors, which launched in 2016. Both NVIDIA and AMD also started offering HDR support in 2016. Therefore, you need to have a very new processor and card released in 2016 or later to use HDR on your Windows 10 PC.
Equally important is the cable you use to connect your PC to the monitor or TV you use. You must use a cable that supports HDCP 2.2 (High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) and 4K. This can be an HDMI 2.0 cable, such as a DisplayPort 1.4 or USB Type C cable. The best HDR cable would be DisplayPort 1.4 or USB Type-C. You must use a cable that works with both your card and your display.
Last but not least, you need Windows 10 Fall Creators Update or newer. For the best HDR experience on Windows 10, we recommend using Windows 10 April 2018 Update or newer.
You have successfully enabled HDR for Windows 10 PC?
If you follow all the steps and requirements outlined in this guide, you will be able to enjoy HDR apps, games, and content on Windows 10. We know what we did and we loved it. Before closing this article, please tell us if everything went smoothly and if there were any issues during the installation process. Comment below and let’s discuss.
Calibrating a monitor or display in Windows 10
You can go directly to the monitor or display calibration interface in Windows 10 by entering a command in the Run window. Click Win R and type dccw.
If you are NOT looking for easy ways, then you can find the screen calibration menu along the following path:
- Open Settings. System. Display. Scroll down a bit and find the Graphics Adapter Properties item.
- In the window that opens, find the Color Management tab.
- A larger window will open. You need the Details tab on it. Open it and then click the calibrate screen button at the bottom of the window.
- This will open the screen color calibration wizard.
- The first step is to adjust the gamma. Before directly setting up, Windows will show you examples of incorrect and correct calibration.
- Try to adjust so that the picture matches the standard, but at the same time, no one forbids you to set the parameters that suit you.
- If you don’t like the setting, use the Reset button.
- The next step is to adjust the brightness and contrast. If you don’t need to adjust these settings, click Skip brightness and contrast settings.
- At this stage, you will need to use the image controls directly on the monitor itself. Each manufacturer has a different menu and control buttons. How to change the brightness and contrast of your monitor should be indicated in the instructions for the screen. Contact her for help, or google. In this step, Windows will only show sample images for accurate calibration.
- Click Next and start experimenting.
- Adjusting the contrast will help you set a value to correctly display the brightness of highlights. Again, follow the prompt on the screen and sample images, and then adjust the picture in the menu of the monitor itself.
- Next comes the color balance adjustment. Here, calibration is already carried out by means of the system (although almost every monitor in the menu has the ability to change the color balance. try playing with these parameters too.
- You need to make sure that large stripes on the screen remain as gray as possible. If you notice admixtures of other colors, eliminate their red, green, or blue sliders.
- Finally, you can compare the color settings you created with the previous preset. To do this, click on Previous calibration. The Current Calibration button will display the parameters you created.
- Click Done to save the new settings. The Cancel button will return everything to its previous state.
How to calibrate your monitor in Windows 10
Standard Windows 10 tools include a utility for calibrating the image on the monitor (display) screen of your computer or laptop. It allows you to adjust the color, brightness and contrast of the screen for the most comfortable work in your environment.
Note: in this article, we will NOT go into the professional intricacies of screen calibration using special software or hardware. This manual describes the procedure for setting up the monitor using standard Windows tools, without the need to download additional programs. It is perfect for beginners who have noticed some deviations in the picture quality of the laptop or desktop computer screen, or just want to adjust the image a little for themselves. Perception of color / contrast / brightness. highly individual, so you should be guided by your own a little, but not bend the stick.
One more note: All procedures must be performed with an administrator account. Otherwise, you will need an admin password.
How to customize ClearType
Also note the Run the ClearType Customizer after clicking Finish. With its help you can adjust the quality of displaying fonts on the screen. We recommend that you spend another three minutes in order to fine-tune the monitor operation as accurately as possible.
In THESE two screenshots above, you can see the difference between enabled (top) and disabled (bottom) ClearType technology. It is unlikely that someone wants to voluntarily disable it, but someone will definitely need a more precise setting.
- If you have more than one connected monitor, then Windows will prompt you to choose which monitor to set up ClearType for. You can set parameters for two screens at once, but you can only for one.
- At the next stage, the system will check whether you have set the optimal screen extension, since this indicator greatly affects the quality of the displayed elements. It is unlikely that any of you will have problems with this, but the advice of a tick Windows will do an extra check.
- Then the system will offer you five sets of text with different parameters. Take a close look at each of them and indicate which one you like best. The fonts will then adjust according to your preference.
- After completing the setup of the first monitor, the wizard will proceed to the second, third, and so on. At the end, you will see a message that the setting of the text on the monitors has been completed successfully.
If you want to customize ClearType without screen calibration, then you can do it in the following ways:
- Click Win R and type cttune.
- Open the Options and search box, type ClearType. The system will immediately display the ClearType wizard in the search results.
- Click Win R and type control. In the Control Panel that opens, go to Appearance and Personalization. Fonts. On the left side of the screen, click Customize ClearType Text.
After that, configure the fonts as described above. Spend a few minutes fine-tuning your screens. The result of the work will be a more pleasing picture to the eyes, which will have an extremely positive effect on your experience of using your device.
What is the monitor setup for?
A monitor even with the cheapest matrix is capable of showing a better picture in comparison with the one issued by the operating system automatically, with the correct settings. Standard settings may NOT match in resolution or color reproduction. Therefore, it is important to select the most optimal image and screen performance for comfortable and safe work.
You will have to figure out how to manually adjust the screen resolution if the drivers are installed, but the size of windows and elements is still NOT required.
Instructions for the “seven”:
- Right click on a blank space on the desktop and select the “Screen Resolution” menu item.
- In the window that opens, opposite the word “Permission”, move the slider to the very top.
- Click the “Apply” button and agree to the changes.
For “ten” settings are performed in a similar way, only the menu item is called “Display settings”.
Additional monitor connection procedure
There are usually many more ports on a monitor than the average user suspects. Carefully inspect the entire surface of the ACCESSORY and, perhaps, you will find the required connector, which will help save on the adapter.
The procedure for connecting the monitor itself is quite simple and will NOT cause difficulties even for inexperienced users. Let’s look at it in stages:
- Connect your monitor or TV to your PC using a dedicated cable.
- Plug your TV or monitor into an electrical outlet.
- In the event that the connected device is a TV, you must select a suitable signal source. You can find out which signal is used in the instructions.
- start the pc.
Setting up a second monitor
If you own the seventh operating system, then you’re in luck. Many issues related to setting up a second monitor have been fixed in this release. So, in your case, you can set up a second windows 7 monitor as follows:
- first, you need to connect the second screen to the card connector;
- then on the keyboard knock on the combination “WINP”;
- then you will see a panel on which you will be asked to choose the appropriate option.
Everything, the monitor is ready to use!
Monitor adjustment software
Instead of trying to figure out the confusing settings of Windows itself, you can use third-party programs for THESE purposes. They are provided by the developer of the installed map.
There are three such programs:
- Control Center for AMD cards;
- Intel Control Panel for Embedded (especially common in budget laptops)
- Similar software from NVIDIA.
You can find programs on the website of the card or laptop manufacturer in the driver download section, often they are installed with them automatically when choosing a full installation.
The interfaces of the programs for adjusting the monitor are different, but intuitive and include all the necessary tools for adjusting brightness, color, contrast and other parameters.
In the same section of the Computer Control Panel, in the column on the left, there is an item titled “ClearType Text Setting”. Click on it. a new small window will open. It is a font smoothing technology that makes text on the screen as easy to read as printed on paper.
Usually this item is enabled by default. If not (the fonts are angular and your eyes get tired of reading), then in the new window click “Next” and follow the instructions.
Upon completion, you may not notice how crisp and pleasant the fonts in the system have become, but Feel that your eyes start to get tired less.
Setting the refresh rate of the screen (hertsovki)
The flicker frequency of the monitor screen, measured in Hz, should be set to the maximum available value. As in the previous paragraphs, open the Advanced Options of your display settings, but instead of Color Management, open the Monitor tab. Here select the highest frequency available and apply the changes.
For Windows 10 “Settings”. “System”. “Display”. “Advanced Display Settings”. “Display Adapter 1 Properties”. “Monitor”.
Connect two monitors to your Windows 7 computer
Often, users want to connect a second monitor to their home PC or laptop. This is often easy enough, especially if the computer has a second monitor output. This article will describe detailed instructions, as well as difficulties that may arise during the connection process.
How to make a monitor the primary display on xp
use the keyboard
The brightness of the screen on a laptop is changed by a special key combination. One of them is a functional one, located in the bottom row of keys between Win and Ctrl and the designation Fn is applied to it. It includes an additional character layout. Among them, there are necessarily two keys, which bear the designation “sun”. On one of them, the arrow or triangle is turned up, and on the other. down. Accordingly, in the first case, we increase the brightness, and in the second, we decrease it. Now, to change the brightness, do the following. Clamp the function key and, together with it, the second one, on which the “sun” and the arrow (triangle) upwards are simultaneously located.
Now let’s figure out how to brighten the screen on a laptop using drivers on the card. Open the control panel for the graphics adapter by double-clicking the right mouse button on the right side of the taskbar on its logo. This could be a black and blue screen for Intel, a green icon for Nvidia, or a red label for AMD. Let’s dwell on the first of them, since they can be most often found at the moment. In other manufacturers, the procedure is similar. If we find something, we look at the documentation. After a double click, a menu will open. In it we select “Graphic characteristics”. Next, go to the “Display” section and in it we find the item “Improving the quality of color”. A case will appear with a “Brightness” slider. By changing its position, we achieve the desired result. In the event that such a panel is available, then you need to install the driver from the disk, which came with the laptop. Another option where such software can be found is the official website of the graphics adapter manufacturer. In addition, the card drivers allow more flexible configuration of PC parameters. For example, using them you can reduce the resolution of the laptop screen or change its orientation.
Another way to solve this problem is to change the power consumption. On a stationary computer, such an adjustment does not play such an important role as in this case, because it constantly works from the network. But for a laptop, this is critical. It can run on battery power, and when it goes into this mode, the minimum power plan is activated. One of its components is a decrease in screen brightness. To change the mode, perform the following manipulations. We go to “Start”, here we select “Control Panel”. In it you need to find “Power Supply”. A window with a list of available modes will open. We select a mode in them, which is called “With maximum performance”. After that, the brightness should immediately increase. This is another option for how to brighten the screen on a laptop.
Have all the recommendations outlined earlier been followed, and the screen brightness on the laptop remains unchanged? In this case, you will have to contact the service center. As practice shows, most likely, something broke at the hardware level. This is especially true when the screen goes dark for no apparent reason. That is, nothing was installed, the settings were not adjusted. The reason can be anything: the train is frayed, the contact has moved away, or something else. In any case, finding the cause of the malfunction and fixing it at home is almost impossible. Therefore, you will have to contact the service center for help.
How to brighten the screen on a laptop? Easy and fast
In the process of working in new owners of mobile computers, the following question often arises: how to make the screen on a laptop brighter? If there is a problem with this on a stationary system unit (the monitor is installed separately and it must have buttons for control), then with such devices it is not so simple. Within the framework of this article, the most simple ways of solving this problem will be given. In most cases, they allow you to achieve the desired result. But if nothing happened, then you need to contact a specialized center for the repair of computers and laptops. Perhaps the answer lies in the fact that some component of the mobile PC has failed and needs to be replaced.
Let’s sum up
This article provides a step-by-step answer on how to brighten the screen on a laptop. First, we use the keyboard shortcut. In most cases, this is a solution to the issue. Then we check for all drivers on the PC and adjust the settings of this program for the graphics adapter. Another place where the answer to this question may be hiding is in the energy saving plan, which can be changed in the “Control Panel”. If everything is done, but the result is not achieved, then you need to contact the service center for help.
Stage 1: Connection
Before connecting the monitor, you need to make sure that the cards have a free slot where you can connect. This requires one of the ports: VGA, DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort. The monitor must have a similar free connector. Otherwise, you will have to use an adapter, which is not always convenient for a variety of reasons.
In order to make the connection, you need a cable of the appropriate type. each connector has its own. Often the cable can come with the monitor, plus, it will definitely have a power supply and a wire for connecting to the mains.
It should be understood that the presented port types provide different connection quality, so you need to correctly prioritize.
This is the list from best to worst:
When connecting multiple monitors, it is recommended to divide them into “main” and “sub”. In the first cases, it is recommended to use a port of a higher standard.
The process of connecting an additional monitor itself is as follows:
- Before starting work, it is recommended to disconnect the PC from the power supply.
- Take the cable from the main display and connect it to the connector on the card or laptop, which you defined as the main one for yourself. Do the same with the second monitor, its manual and the second most important connector.
- Connect the new display to the mains using the supplied cable.
- Turn on the computer / laptop and with it the new monitor.
Wait for the computer to fully boot.
Setting up two screens in Windows 10
Additional workspace in the form of one or more screens may be required for a number of tasks. Sometimes even a large monitor is not enough for normal operation. Fortunately, the developers of Windows 10 made it possible to quickly and easily connect an additional monitor to a computer or laptop.
How to connect and configure two monitors in Windows 10
It doesn’t matter if you are using a desktop computer or a laptop, you will always have the opportunity to connect an additional monitor or even several (depending on the number of ports and the characteristics of the card).
For convenience, we will divide the process into two main stages.
Stage 2: Setting up the connection
Most likely, initially nothing will be displayed on the monitor or will be displayed, but not the way you need it. Even if the monitor is functioning correctly, it will not be superfluous to look into the “Settings” Windows 10:
- Open the Windows 10 “Settings”. This can be done by using the WinI keyboard shortcut or by clicking on the “Start” icon and calling there a gear icon.
- Now switching to the “System” section.
- In the left part of the window, select the “Display” subsection. It is usually already open by default.
- The following options will be available to you:
- Initially, you need to configure the location of the display numbers. To do this, click the “Define” button located under the preview area and look at the numbers that will briefly appear in the lower left corner of each of the screens. Indicate the location of the equipment as it is convenient for you. It is recommended to put the main display under number 1, and an additional one under 2. Having set the priorities, use the “Apply” button.
- In the “Color” block, you can configure the Windows night mode. It does NOT apply to a specific monitor, but to the entire system as a whole. Night mode reduces blue light from both monitors at night. The system determines this time independently, but you can set it manually.
- Windows HD Color block. There you can adjust the image quality on monitors with HDR support. If the equipment supports operation in this mode, then the setting will occur automatically. You just have to adjust some parameters if necessary.
- “Scale and layout” block. The parameters from this block are determined by the system independently for each monitor. Usually additional adjustment is NOT required. There can only be an exception if the resolution of one of the monitors exceeds 1920 × 1080.
- “Resolution” and “Orientation” options. As with scaling, these parameters are configured separately for each display. Changes the orientation for one of the monitors is recommended only if you have it installed in a vertical, not horizontal position.
- The most important parameter when setting up multiple displays is Multiple Displays. Choose whether you want to expand the displays, that is, make the second a continuation of the first (for this, you had to arrange them correctly at the very first step of this part of the article), or, conversely, you want to duplicate the image. see the same thing on each of the monitors.
If the system has incorrectly identified the primary and secondary displays, then select in the preview area the number of the display that you want to assign as the primary. In the “Multiple displays” block, check the “Set as main display”.
When working with two or more monitors, you may need to switch between display modes from time to time. To do this, you do not need to call the parameters every time and look for the desired section there. Everything can be done much faster:
- Use the WinP keyboard shortcut.
- The Project menu opens. There you can choose one of four available display modes:
- Computer screen only (main monitor)
- Repeating (duplicate image)
- Expand (continued picture on second display)
- Only the second screen (disconnect the main monitor from broadcasting the image to the secondary).
By following the above instructions and recommendations, you can easily connect multiple monitors to your computer.