How to set up a second monitor on a laptop
Script or shortcut to turn off the laptop screen
The Microsoft Sysinternals website provides a simple.bat script that turns off the laptop or PC screen on startup. Download available on the official page https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Turn-off-screen-4d173e0a
And you can create a bat file with this content yourself. It is also possible to create a shortcut on the desktop, in the taskbar or somewhere else. To do this, right-click in an empty space on the desktop, select “New”. “Shortcut” and enter the following code in the “Specify the location of the object” field:
The remaining parameters of the shortcut and the appearance of the icon can be set at your discretion.
Turning on the screen after turning off each of these methods is performed by a simple mouse click or by pressing any keys on the keyboard.
Turning off laptop screen with the power button and other options in Windows 10, 8.1 and Windows 7
You can use the built-in Windows power settings to:
- Turn off the screen when you press the power button on the laptop or when it is closed (without turning off or entering sleep mode of the laptop itself)
- Set the screen to turn off automatically after a period of inactivity
This is very simple to do, you need to follow these simple steps:
- Go to the power options. To do this, you can right-click on the battery icon in the notification area at the bottom right and select the desired context menu item, or go to the “Control Panel” and open the “Power supply” item.
- In the power settings on the left, pay attention to the items “Actions of the power buttons”, “Action when closing the lid” and “Setting the display off”.
- Each of these items allows you to configure the shutdown of the laptop screen on a specific event. For example, by going to the “Actions of the power buttons”, we can make the laptop screen turn off when the power button is pressed, and this can be done separately for the case when the laptop is running on battery or mains.
- In the display off settings, you can set the time after which the laptop screen will turn off automatically if the user is idle.
- The same parameters can be found (but not on any laptop, some items may be missing), if you select “Configure power scheme” for the selected scheme, then go to “Change advanced power settings”.
Additionally, when using an external monitor connected to the laptop, you can configure the output of the image only to the external monitor, while the laptop screen turns off. In Windows 10, you will find the corresponding item in the display options, as in the image below.
Third Party Programs
There are many third-party utilities that also allow you to turn off your laptop screen without turning it off or sleeping, for example: ScreenOff, Turn Off Monitor, DisplayOff, BlackTop and others.
For example, ScreenOff, available on the developer page https://www.thewindowsclub.com/screenoff-turn-off-Windows-laptop-screen, is a very small utility that, when launched, simply turns off all monitors until the next key or mouse press.
Some utilities provide more advanced features. DisplayOff (the official download page. https://sourceforge.net/projects/doff/ provides more options: when you simply run the utility, it just turns off the screen, but if you run it with certain parameters (in the picture below), you can also do lock your computer, add a screen off icon to the notification area, start the screensaver (screen saver).
In addition, the utility includes not only the executable file.exe, but also the screen saver (screen saver).scr file, which can be installed in Windows (usually, just right-click on the file and select “Install”), then select in screen saver settings and, instead of turning on the screen saver, your screen will simply turn off at the specified time. It might be useful here: How to set up a screensaver (screen saver) in Windows 10.
How to turn off the screen on a laptop without turning off the laptop itself
If for certain tasks you need to turn off the laptop screen without turning it off, that is, so that the laptop continues to work, you can do this in several different ways: both by means of Windows 10, 8.1 or Windows 7, and using third-party utilities.
In this manual, in detail about several ways to turn off the laptop screen without interrupting its operation: using the power button, a simple script or shortcut on the desktop or taskbar, and also by using third-party programs for these purposes. If your task is to make sure that only its screen turns off when you close the laptop, about this in a separate instruction: How to prevent the laptop from turning off when you close the lid.
Distribution of new, sometimes interesting and useful materials from the remontka.pro website. No ads and free computer help for subscribers from the author. Other subscription methods (VK, Odnoklassniki, Telegram., YouTube, Yandex.Dzen)
And how to make sure that mouse movements from method 1 do not turn the display back on?
To do how to do it on a PC, until you turn on the display yourself, do not move the mouse, and the screen will not turn on.
Another way. Download the program nircmd.exe (Google help). We throw the program into c: \ Windows.
We make a reg file out of this text.
At the output, we get the item in the context menu of the desktop: Disable display
To turn off the screen in a laptop, press the fnscreen buttons. The screen will turn off, but continue to work.
how to turn off the main monitor on a laptop while leaving the connected monitor to work?
All your ways extinguish both monitors
I usually just close the lid (by setting it in the power parameters so that it does not turn off when closed, while the monitor will still turn off).
Well, the second method is to set the output only to the desired screen in the parameters of two monitors, then the “unnecessary” one will go out by itself.
How to set up two monitors in Windows 10?
- Make sure cables are properly connected to new monitors.
- Choose how the desktop is displayed.
- Right-click anywhere on the desktop and select Display Settings to open the Display page.
How many monitors can be connected to a laptop?
After making sure that you can really connect two monitors to the laptop, you can start the actual connection. May 3, 2019.
How to swap screens?
First, equalize the resolution on both devices, for example, 1024×768 and 1024×768. Then the display manager. right-click on a monitor. swap. 1st make the main one. Reboot. The main thing in this process. equalize the resolutions of the monitors, otherwise nothing will work!
How to use a laptop as a monitor?
Ways to connect a laptop as a monitor
You can use a laptop as a monitor through the HDMI connector or through the VGA output. If the system unit contains only an HDMI jack, and the laptop is equipped with a VGA input, then a special adapter is required for their joint work.
How to connect a second monitor to a Mac?
Configuring Replay Mode on Multiple Monitors
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu System Preferences, click Displays, then click Display. Open the “Monitor” panel
- Set both monitors to the same resolution.
- Click on “Location” and select “Turn on monitor mirroring”.
Is it possible to connect 2 monitors to a laptop?
If you have the most common computer monitor, simply connect it to your laptop via HDMI, DisplayPort, or VGA. Connect two monitors to a laptop at the same time: one through the VGA or HDMI port, and the other through USB. this combination works great with most laptops.
Connecting the monitor via HDMI to a laptop (computer)
In principle, connecting the monitor to a laptop or desktop computer, you will not see much difference. Everywhere the same principle of action, the same actions.
By the way, we will assume that you have already chosen the cable for connection (see the article above).
By the way, many neglect this action, but in vain. Despite this seemingly trivial advice, it can save your equipment from damage. For example, I came across several times with cases when the laptop video card failed due to the fact that they tried to “hot”, without turning off the laptop and TV, to connect them with an HDMI cable. Apparently, in some cases the residual electricity “hit” and disabled the iron. Although, an ordinary monitor and a TV set are still slightly different equipment :). But still…
2) Connect the cable to HDMI ports of laptop, monitor.
Further, everything is simple. you need to connect the ports of the monitor and laptop with a cable. If the cable was chosen correctly (if necessary, use adapters, then problems should not arise.
When everything is connected, turn on the laptop and monitor and wait for Windows to load. Usually, by default, the same picture appears on the connected additional monitor as is displayed on your main screen (see Fig. 10). At least, this is the case even on new Intel HD cards (on Nvidia, AMD. the picture is the same, you almost never have to go into driver settings). The picture on the second monitor can be corrected, more about this in the article below
How to set up a second screen via HDMI
I think that many people know and have heard that a second monitor (TV) can be connected to a laptop (computer). And in some cases, it is impossible to fully work without a second monitor: for example, for accountants, financiers, programmers, etc. And in general, it is convenient to turn on, for example, a broadcast of a match (film) on one monitor, and slowly do work on the second :).
In this short article, I will consider a seemingly simple question of connecting a second monitor to a PC or laptop. I will try to touch upon the main questions and problems that arise in this case.
Connecting a TV via HDMI in Winodows 10
Make sure your computer and TV are turned off.
We connect one end of the HDMI cable to the TV in the HDMI connector, the other to a laptop or stationary computer.
You need to select a signal source on the TV.
The remote control must have a dedicated button, usually it is signed INPUT or SOURCES or HDMI (see TV manual).
Click on it and select the HDMI connector to which you connected the cable as source.
On the computer, press the [Win] [P] keys simultaneously. 5. In the “Project” window that appears, select the type of projection, depending on your preference:
– Computer screen only (Show desktop to first screen only)
– Repeating (Duplicate screens)
– Expand (Expand screens)
– Second screen only (Show desktop to second screen only).
It may be necessary to adjust (change) the screen resolution in the computer to a resolution that the TV supports (see the instructions for the TV).
If you do not synchronize the image extensions on the monitor and TV, then on one of the devices it may turn out to be cropped.
We confirm the changed parameters “Apply”. “Save changes”. “OK”
To connect the sound correctly, you need to right-click on the sound adjustment icon on the taskbar (notification area. tray) in the computer and select “Playback devices”.
Failure to install updates on Windows 10
When trying to install updates from Windows 10 Update, you may receive a message: “Updates failed with errors: 0x80073701, 0x800f0988”.
Intel Graphics Driver Package Windows 10 DCH 220.127.116.1163
November 14, 2019 Intel introduced graphics driver package version DCH 18.104.22.16863 for 64-bit Windows 10 systems.
AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 19.11.2 Driver
AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 19.11.2 Driver Includes Support for New Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.
Skype version 8.54 received a number of improvements in terms of translating conversations into different languages.
Windows 10 cumulative update 1903 KB4524570
November 12, 2019 Microsoft released Windows 10 Build Cumulative Update 18363.476 (KB4524570) for Windows 10 May 2019 Update (version 1903) and Windows Server 2019 (1903).
- Views: 1 312 530
- Author: admin
- Date: 20-07-2013
- How to connect a TV to a computer via HDMI. but so that the image is duplicated on a computer monitor, in other words, you need the image to be both on the monitor and on the TV? I have a large collection of films and cartoons on my computer, including Blu-ray and HD digital high-definition formats. I really want to watch all these films on my new TV. The TV is in another room. How to do this and how long should the HDMI cable be? I myself seem to be connecting everything correctly, the computer is connected to the TV using an HDMI cable, and to the monitor through a DVI cable. There is an image on the monitor, but not on the TV, only the inscription on the black screen “Cable not connected” “Check the cable connections and the source parameter.” Your articles How to connect a laptop to a TV via HDMI and How to connect an Acer laptop to a Philips TV, How to connect a SONY laptop to a TV via HDMI, How to connect a laptop to a Toshiba TV I read, I do everything as written in them. In the TV settings, I select the HDMI item from the list of all available video signal sources, but there is still no image from the computer. Dmitry.
- Hello Admin, in short, this is the case: I bought a new TV with a screen resolution of 1920 × 1080, connected the TV (with a second monitor) to the computer via HDMI, everything is basically fine, there is a picture on the TV, only I can’t set the resolution correctly on the monitor. The computer monitor does not support the maximum TV resolution of 1920 x 1080. The maximum that can be set on my monitor is 1280×1024. Therefore, on the TV, the resolution is normal 1920 × 1080, and on the computer monitor, everything is a little flattened. In principle, the resolution on the monitor is not important to me, the most important thing is that everything is normal on a large TV, but still, there may be some solution to the problem?
- Maybe you can help me too, I have a simple system unit with a video card with HDMI output and a TV with HDMI input. Sometimes I want to use a TV instead of a monitor, but many people do this, for example, to watch films, of which I have a lot. I really want to watch all these films on my TV, but it doesn’t work, or rather it works out, but not quite. I have with connecting the TV to a computer via HDMI there is no sound, but the picture is very good. Operating system Windows 7, tried several HDMI cables, maybe it’s not in them, but in the settings of the operating system?
Setting up a second monitor. Types of projection
The connected second monitor can be “made” to work in different ways. For example, it can display the same as the main one, or it can display something else.
To configure this moment. right-click anywhere on the desktop and select “Screen settings” in the context menu (if you have Windows 7. then “Screen resolution”). Next, in the parameters, select the projection method (more on this below in the article).
An even simpler option would be to use special keys on the keyboard (if you have a laptop, of course). Typically, a screen will be drawn on one of the function keys. For example, on my keyboard, this is the F8 key, it must be pressed simultaneously with the FN key (see Fig. 12).
Next, a window with projection settings should appear. There are only 4 options:
- Computer screen only. In this case, only one main screen of the laptop (PC) will work, and the second one, which is connected, will be turned off;
- Repeating (see Figure 10). The image on both monitors will be the same. Convenient, for example, when a large monitor displays the same thing as a small laptop monitor when presenting a presentation (for example);
- Expand (see fig. 14). Quite a popular projection option. In this case, your workspace will increase, and you will be able to move the mouse from the desktop of one screen to another. It is very convenient, you can open a movie preview on one, and work on the other (as in Fig. 14).
- Only the second screen. In this case, the main laptop screen will be turned off, and you will work on the connected one (in some form, an analogue of the first option).
On the SIM, the connection process is complete. I will be grateful for the additions. Good luck to all!
Not that everything was better before, but clearly easier.
The abbreviation HDMI stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface, that is, high-definition multimedia interface.
By connecting a monitor via HDMI, you can find that the image is very blurry, does not occupy the entire area of the screen. there are black bands (borders) at the edges and the required clarity is missing.
over, we see this picture both at boot, in BIOS, and in Windows.
First of all, we make sure that the HMDI cable is in good condition and its length should not exceed 5 m.
Disable autoscaling on the monitor.
You may have to select the “Fit to Screen” option in the monitor menu.
If the computer has a video card, built-in or external, AMD Radeon, then we try to correct the image using the AMD Vision Control Center (Catalyst Control Center) drivers.
Find the item “My Digital Flat-Panel” and select the sub-item “Scaling Options”.
A slider will appear that needs to be moved to zero.
The image should now bounce back.
When updating or reinstalling drivers, you will have to repeat the procedure.
If you have an Nvidia video card, then you need to launch the Nvidia Control Center (Control Panel Nvidia) by clicking on the icon in the tray or right-clicking on the desktop and select the appropriate item.
Next, on the left in the menu, select “Adjust desktop size and position” and set “Overscan” to “Do not scaling”.
When connecting the TV to the computer, the TV and the computer must be turned off, only then connect the HDMI cable.
Turn on the TV first, then the computer.
Switch the TV to HDMI signal display mode.
Modern flat screens are capable of displaying images without distortion across the entire surface, including the edges.
Yet many TVs use what is called Overscan technology: the image is electronically enlarged by about 5% and cropped at the edges so that LCD and plasma TVs show the same part of the image as CRT.
As a result, the number of pixels of the video card and the screen does not always coincide. the sharpness of the image deteriorates.
In this case, even the “Taskbar” Windows may appear in the invisible part of the screen.
Most TVs allow you to turn off this magnification.
On some models this feature is called “Underscan”, on others “Only Scan” or “Pixel for Pixel”.
But it also happens that the Overscan function is always active when connected via HDMI and DVI.
Many video cards smooth out this by reducing the overall image.
At the same time, the entire Windows “Desktop” fits on the screen, but, unfortunately, pixel-accurate image transmission is impossible.
Therefore, TVs with disabled Overscan function are preferred.
If a monitor is not connected to the computer, you may see that the resolution on the TV does not match the screen or remains black.
Connect additionally to the system unit via VGA or DVI monitor.
It will show the image and this will allow you to set the correct resolution for the TV in the video card driver.
Finally, if the previous options did not help, try to connect the TV via a DVI. HDMI adapter to the DVI output of the video card, but the sound will have to be connected via a separate cable to the TV or output from the computer to the speakers.
How to choose a cable and adapters for connection
To begin with, I recommend examining both the laptop and the monitor, to determine what interfaces they have. For example, my laptop only has one HDMI interface (therefore, there is virtually no choice).
The connected monitor had only VGA and DVI interfaces. Interestingly, the monitor does not seem to be “revolutionary”, and there was no HDMI interface on it
In this case, 2 cables were needed (Fig. 7, 8): one HDMI, 2 m long, the other. an adapter from DVI to HDMI (there are, in fact, quite a few such adapters. By the way, there are universal ones, which provide all kinds of interfaces for connecting one to another).
Thus, having a couple of such cables, you can connect your laptop to almost any monitor: old, new, etc.
Remark! You can find out about all the most common interfaces in this article: https://pcpro100.info/popular-interface/
Despite the abundance of interfaces, the most popular and demanded today are: HDMI, VGA, DVI. On modern laptops, usually there is an HDMI port on a mandatory basis, and sometimes a VGA port (example in Fig. 1).
The most popular interface is present on all modern technology (monitors, laptops, TVs, etc.). If you have an HDMI port on the monitor and laptop, then the whole connection process should go without a hitch.
By the way, there are three kinds of HDMI form factors: Standard, Mini and Micro. On laptops, usually, there is always a standard connector, as in fig. 2. However, pay attention to this in the same way (fig. 3).
Many users call this connector differently, who is VGA and who is D-Sub (and, moreover, manufacturers do not sin this either).
Many people say that the VGA interface is living out its term (maybe it is), but despite this, there are still quite a lot of equipment supporting VGA. This means that he will live for another 5-10 years :).
By the way, this interface is found on most monitors (even the newest ones), and on many laptop models. Manufacturers, behind the scenes, still support this popular standard.
On sale today you can find many adapters associated with the VGA port: VGA-DVI, VGA-HDMI, etc.
Quite a popular interface. I should immediately note that it is not found on modern laptops, it is on PC (it is also on most monitors).
DVI has several varieties:
- DVI-A. used to transmit only an analog signal;
- DVI-I. for analog and digital signal transmission. The most popular type on monitors;
- DVI-D. for digital signal transmission.
Important! The dimensions of the connectors, their configuration are compatible with each other, the difference exists only in the contacts involved. By the way, pay attention, next to the port, usually, it is always indicated what type of DVI your equipment has.
How to connect a TV to a computer via HDMI
For example, let’s take a Samsung TV, not entirely new 4 series (LED type), bought a few years ago, but it already has two connectors for connecting HDMI devices.
The computer that we will use to connect to the TV was also purchased about three years ago, it has an Nv video card installed
As I said, there are two HDMI ports on our TV. With the TV turned off, connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI 2 connector,
the opposite end of the cable is connected to the HDMI connector of the video card of the stationary computer. The computer, in turn, is already connected to the monitor (also Samsung SyncMaster 971P) with a DVI cable.
We turn on the computer and TV. On the TV, there may not be an image right away, instead of it we see this message “Cable is not connected” “Check the cable connections and the source parameter” or “Weak signal or no signal”
On Samsung TVs, to display a list of all available video sources, press the Source button on the remote.
A menu comes out on the TV, in this menu, using the remote control, select the HDMI 2 connector,
then on the remote we press the Confirm selection button.
Now, on our TV, an exact copy of the desktop of our computer should appear. But again there is nothing, the same error appears on the black screen. So we go to the “Screen Resolution” settings. Right-click on the desktop and select “Screen Resolution”.
As we can see in the window that appears, the main screen is set to the second (2) Samsung SyncMaster 971P monitor, and in the “Multiple screens” parameter we have set “Display the desktop on only 2 monitors”, that’s why the image is present only on the computer monitor screen, but it is not on the TV
We bring everything in this window to this state. Choosing a parameter
Multiple Screens: “Duplicate These Screens”
In the “Screen” parameter, “Multiple monitors” is automatically set, click Apply and OK.
The desktop of our computer appears on the TV.
The resolution of our small Samsung TV is 1366 x 768. If your computer monitor supports this resolution, then it will be set to the same resolution of 1366 x 768 automatically. If not, then either the TV or the monitor will have the wrong resolution. For example, my Samsung SyncMaster 971P monitor has a maximum resolution of 1280×1024. When using a TV and a computer monitor at the same time, the main thing for me is to correctly set the resolution on the TV, otherwise why did I connect it then. I expose the resolution of 1366 x 768 on the Samsung TV, the image is perfect.
And on a computer monitor, such a resolution of 1366 x 768 looks like this.
And nothing can be done here. If you need a perfect image on a TV and a computer monitor, then they must support the same screen resolution, that is, have the same characteristics.
If you have nothing in this field, click on an empty space with the right mouse and in the menu that appears, mark the items “Show disconnected devices”. “Show connected devices”
Now we look at the name of our TV, in my case it’s Samsung, you need to turn it on, and turn off the rest. Right click on Realtek and select Disable.
How to duplicate laptop screen to another laptop?
On your primary computer, press the Windows P key and select “Connect to a wireless display” at the very bottom. Your computer will start looking for available displays, and as soon as the second screen is found, you will have the option to Extend and Duplicate.
How to connect a monitor to a laptop as a second screen?
In order to connect a second monitor to a computer, it must have an HDMI input connector. On a laptop, the HDMI port is outgoing for the output of the picture over the wire to the second screen. Therefore, it is impossible to use a laptop screen as a second computer monitor via cable. only via Wi-Fi.
How to connect a second monitor via VGA?
How to connect two monitors to a computer?
- Make sure you can connect multiple monitors to your computer.
- Find out what video connectors are on the video card and monitors.
- Buy the cables you need (if not available).
- Turn off your computer.
- Connect the first monitor to one of the video card connectors.
- Connect a second monitor.
How to duplicate a screen to a Windows 10 projector?
To do this in Windows 10, use the WinP keyboard shortcut. In this case, a vertical menu curtain will appear on the right side, where you can immediately select the type of image output to the second display or projector.
How to split the screen across 2 monitors Windows 10?
Windows 10 allows you to easily choose one of several ways to display two monitors. Press the Windows KeyP key combination to enter the Project sidebar. Here you can choose one of the following options: “Computer Screen Only”, “Duplicate”, “Extend” or “Second Screen”.
How to split the screen into 2 work areas?
Make the window active with one mouse click on the window header. Next, just hold down the Windws button on your keyboard (this is the Microsoft logo in the form of a flag) and press the left, right, bottom, or up arrow on your keyboard. It will turn out to be Win ← ↕ →. Move windows in any order for productivity convenience.
How to turn off a second monitor on a laptop?
To turn off the monitor, the most commonly used combinations are [Fn] [F6], [Fn] [F4] or [Fn] [F7]. Depending on the driver settings, the [Fn] button may be enabled by default. Then it will be enough to press [F6] or [F7] to turn off the screen.