How to share Wi-Fi from an iPad
How to enable tethering and share Internet (Wi-Fi) from iPhone or iPad
Everyone knows that the iPhone is a multifunctional device. However, not everyone is aware that the gadget can act as a full-fledged portable access point. a router. for other mobile and desktop equipment. “Sharing” the Internet from an “apple” communicator or tablet is actually very simple.
How to enable tethering and share Internet (Wi-Fi) from iPhone or iPad
Starting with iOS 13, the interface of the Tethering section in the Settings app on iPhone and iPad has been changed.
The Modem Mode enable button has disappeared, replaced by the Allow others toggle button.
When the Allow to other iPhone option is enabled, it will be able to share the Internet not only with devices that use the same Apple ID in iCloud (without entering a password), but also with any other device (with entering a password).
When the Allow to other iPhone option is disabled, only devices that use the same Apple ID in iCloud will be able to share the Internet without the need to enter a password.
On an iPhone with iOS 12 and an older version of the OS, the tethering mode is turned on by the corresponding switch along the path: Settings → Tethering mode;
When the Allow others option is enabled, it is strongly recommended to password protect access to the network.
For further work, it is advisable to choose either an unlimited tariff plan. Otherwise, you can lose a significant amount from your account in just a dozen minutes of using the Internet.
What to do if the Modem mode item is not in the Settings
It happens, however, that Modem Mode is missing from the settings. Then you need to take the following steps:
To begin with, you need to make sure that the data transmission network. mobile Internet (instructions) is working on the device. If it works, but the mode still does not appear, then go to the next step;
Go to Settings and follow the path Cellular → Cellular data network → Cellular data (for previous versions of iOS, the path is slightly different: Cellular → Data settings → Cellular data network → Cellular data);
Here you need to fill in the fields in the Cellular Data and Modem Mode sections. There you will need to enter the APN, Username and Password of your mobile operator. The operator usually sends this data automatically when installing the SIM card. You can also clarify them by calling the operator, naming your tariff plan.
APN data, username and password of some Russian, Belarusian and Ukrainian operators can be found on this page.
If the mode does not appear after entering the data, then the device must be rebooted. After rebooting, turn on the Modem Mode, select the Turn on Wi-Fi item and set the password. A successful connection will be indicated by a blue bar at the top of the screen.
How to distribute Wi-Fi from a modem MTS, Megafon, Beeline and not only
Hey! Don’t know how to distribute Wi-Fi from a modem? Do you really have a modem? In this article, I have prepared a universal crazy instruction that will help anyone with absolutely any device to solve this problem.
As an introduction, I note that there are several options for problems that you may encounter:
- You have a USB modem without Wi-Fi. and you want to share it through your laptop.
- You have a USB modem with Wi-Fi. and you just don’t know how to turn it on.
- You have an ADSL modem and you don’t know how to set it up.
All of these options and solutions will be covered in this article. But if you suddenly have any questions, feel free to write them in the comments. Our Wi-FiGid team and personally I will try to figure it out and answer them.
The whole process of setting up a distribution comes down to 3 steps:
- Make sure that the USB modem is connected and distributes via USB Internet to the laptop.
- We create a Wi-Fi access point on a laptop.
- We allow a connection via a USB modem to distribute the Internet to our access point.
With the first stage, everything is already clear, it remains to do the last 2. Complete customization in
USB modem with Wi-Fi
If you have built-in Wi-Fi in your modem, everything is simple there. Usually it is enough to insert this USB modem into a PC or laptop. After that, you will be prompted to run some application for installation (standard operators work through the application) or without it (for example, Iota can work immediately without installation). As a result, after the initial installation, Wi-Fi itself will be distributed.
To set the settings for access, you need to clarify your model and go to the corresponding article on setting up your particular modem. There are many of them, the interfaces are different, it is impossible to show everything in one article. So use our search.
We allow the distribution of the Internet
Now it remains to allow the new access point to use the Internet from USB. There is nothing complicated here, just a few clicks. The interfaces on Windows 7 and 10 are slightly different. I will use a more modern native “top ten” with a reserve for the future, but lovers of the classics will easily find similar elements at home. Let’s get started.
- We go to “Network and Internet Settings” (in the past there was the Network and Sharing Center):
- Configuring adapter parameters (Changing adapter parameters on the “seven”):
- In the window that appears, you will see several of your network adapters, including the newly created access point. There will also be an established connection via a modem (usually referred to as an operator). We will work with him. Right-click on it and select “Properties”:
- Go to the “Access” tab. We put the checkbox for allowing access to the Internet to other network users and select our access point in the allowed ones:
Do not forget to click “OK” to save the settings. The normal thing to do is to restart the internet connection to apply the settings (turn on. turn off the internet on the modem). At this point, the internet should be distributed quietly. With which I congratulate!
In case of any problems, just write about it in the comments. Most likely, we already have a ready-made answer article for your mistake. Just do not use general phrases like “does not work” without details. it will not help anyone.
The same mobile hotspot allows simultaneous connection of 8 users.
USB modem without Wi-Fi
A case for those who bought a USB modem with 3G / 4G, which for some unknown reason ended up without built-in Wi-Fi. This is the most common situation in humans. It happens to this day. What we have: the modem is configured and, when connected to a laptop or computer via USB, it perfectly connects it to the Internet.
Can such a modem distribute Wi-Fi? Not by itself, but you can do it via Wi-Fi of third-party home devices. a laptop or computer with Wi-Fi.
Objective: to distribute this Internet from USB via Wi-Fi to all home devices.
The task is set, we are starting to fulfill it. This article provides instructions for owners of operating systems Windows 7. Windows 10. But having understood the technique, you can safely transfer it to other systems.
Some modems support USB connection to routers. You need to make sure in advance that the router and modem are compatible. It’s easier, more reliable, but you need to take care of compatibility in advance and spend money on an appropriate router. This article is not about this and does not provide for additional costs.
In the distribution technology itself, there is no dependence on the Internet provider (be it MTS, Megafon, Beeline, Iota, Tele2 or others) and the modem itself, but pitfalls are possible, for example, in the form of restrictions on the distribution of the provider itself. This can be circumvented, but look for details in our respective articles. This section shows only the technology of the distribution itself, excluding operators and devices.
Create an access point
Our task here is simply to raise Wi-Fi on a laptop so that everyone can connect to it. How to do it?
For the distribution of wifi, I have already prepared the most complete instructions. If you have any problems, read it HERE.
Yes, I highly recommend using the article above. there are all detailed instructions with pictures for any worst case. And the main thing is to work everything. There is distribution both through the command line and through a mobile hotspot. Third-party programs like Connectify, Switch Virtual Router, etc. have not been forgotten either. In general, lift the access point and go here.
For the lazy, I suggest a universal method for any Windows. Run the command line as an ADMINISTRATOR (it is not highlighted by chance) and run this command there:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = ”Wi-FiGid” key = ”12345678 ″ keyUsage = persistent
where Wi-FiGid is the name of the new network being created, 12345678 is its password (change the values for yourself).
For reference. Stopping the network operation is performed by the command:
Experienced ones can place all these commands in a.bat file so that they do not enter commands every time after restarting the system.
A message should appear stating that the network has started successfully, as in the image above. If everything is fine, go to the next step, you can first make sure that a new network has appeared through the same phone. In case of a problem, we restart the computer, try again more carefully, we believe in supporting the distribution of the network with our adapter.
With ADSL modems and Wi-Fi distribution through them, everything is more complicated. You can’t do this by simply plugging them into the USB port, they really need to be configured. But how to configure a specific version of the modem will be difficult to describe here. Easier to drive your model into our search, most likely you will find yourself on an article on detailed settings. There you will find out everything with text, pictures, video. In general, this article is not about.
I hope you have succeeded, and now the Internet is distributed wherever you need it. Both from the computer and from the laptop to the phone. Use, write comments, stay always with wifa!
Checking the possibility of distribution
First of all, start the command line as administrator (right click on the start button in Windows 10, and then select the appropriate item) and enter the command netsh wlan show drivers
The command line window should display information about the used Wi-Fi adapter driver and the technologies it supports. We are interested in the “Hosted Network Support” item (in the English version. Hosted Network). If it says “Yes”, then you can continue.
If there is no support for the hosted network, then first you need to update the drivers for the Wi-Fi adapter, preferably from the official website of the laptop manufacturer or the adapter itself, and then repeat the check.
In some cases, on the contrary, rolling back the driver to a previous version can help. To do this, go to the Windows 10 device manager (you can right-click on the “Start” button), in the “Network adapters” section, find the required device, right-click on it. properties. “Driver” tab. “Rollback”.
Again, re-check the hosted network support: as if it is not supported, all other actions will have no effect.
How to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi from a laptop in Windows 10
In my previous article about distributing Wi-Fi from a laptop, comments appear every now and then on the topic of the fact that these methods refuse to work in Windows 10 (however, some of them work, and the matter is most likely in the drivers). Therefore, it was decided to write this instruction (updated in August 2016).
This article is a step-by-step description of how to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi from a laptop (or computer with a Wi-Fi adapter) in Windows 10, as well as what to do and what nuances to pay attention to if the described does not work: not the hosted network can be started, the connected device does not receive an IP address or works without Internet access, etc.
I draw your attention to the fact that this kind of “virtual router” from a laptop is possible for a wired connection to the Internet or for connecting via a USB modem (although during the check now I discovered that I have successfully distributed the Internet, “received” also via Wi- Fi, in the previous version of the OS, personally, it did not work for me).
Share Wi-Fi in Windows 10 using the command line
We continue to act in the command line running as administrator. In it you need to enter the command:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = remontka key = secretpassword
Where remontka is the desired name of the wireless network (set your own, without spaces), and secretpassword is the password for Wi-Fi (set your own, at least 8 characters, do not use Cyrillic).
As a result, you should see a message that the hosted network is running. You can already connect from another device via Wi-Fi, but it will not have access to the Internet.
Note: if you see a message stating that it is impossible to start the hosted network, while in the previous step it was written that it is supported (or the required device is not connected), try disabling the Wi-Fi adapter in the device manager, and then re-enabling it ( or delete it there, and then update the hardware configuration). Also try in the Device Manager in the View menu item to enable the display of hidden devices, then in the “Network Adapters” section, find the Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter, right-click on it and select the “Enable” item.
To access the Internet appeared, right-click on “Start” and select “Network Connections”.
In the list of connections, click on the Internet connection (exactly the one that is used to access the Internet) with the right mouse button. properties and open the “Access” tab. Enable the item “Allow other network users to use the Internet connection and apply the settings (if you see a list of home network connections in the same window, select the new wireless connection that appears after the hosted network starts).
If everything went as it should, and no mistakes were made during setup, now when you connect from a phone, tablet or other laptop to the created network, you will have access to the Internet.
To later disable the distribution of Wi-Fi, in the command line as administrator, enter: netsh wlan stop hostednetwork and press Enter.
Mobile hotspot in Windows 10
In the anniversary update of Windows 10, a built-in function has appeared that allows you to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi from a computer or laptop, it is called a mobile hotspot and is located in Settings. Network and Internet. The function is also available to be enabled as a button when you click on the connection icon in the notification area.
All you need is to enable the function, select a connection to which other devices will be given access via Wi-Fi, set a network name and password, and then you can connect. In fact, all the methods described below are no longer required, provided that you have the latest version of Windows 10 and a supported connection type (for example, PPPoE distribution fails).
Nevertheless, if you have an interest or need, you can get acquainted with other ways to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi, which are suitable not only for 10s, but also for previous OS versions.
Problems and solutions
For many users, despite the fulfillment of all the above points, Internet access via such a Wi-Fi connection does not work. Below are some possible ways to fix this and understand the reasons.
- Try turning off Wi-Fi distribution (the command just indicated), then turn off the Internet connection (the one to which we allowed public access). After that, turn them on again in order: first, the distribution of Wi-Fi (via the netsh wlan start hostednetwork command, the rest of the commands that were before that are not needed), then the Internet connection.
- After starting the distribution of Wi-Fi, a new wireless connection is created in the list of network connections. Right-click on it and click Details (Status. Details). See if the IPv4 Address and Subnet Mask are listed there. If not, then specify it manually in the connection properties (you can take it from the screenshot). Similarly, in case of problems connecting other devices to the distributed network, you can use a static IP in the same address space, for example, 192.168.173.5.
- The firewalls of many antiviruses block public access to the Internet by default. To see if this is the reason for the problems with the distribution of Wi-Fi, you can temporarily disable the firewall (firewall) altogether and, if the problem disappeared, start looking for the corresponding setting.
- Some users turn on sharing for the wrong connection. It must be enabled for the connection that is used to access the Internet. For example, if you have a local network connection, and Beeline L2TP or Rostelecom PPPoE is launched for the Internet, then general access must be provided for the last two.
- Check if Windows Internet Connection Sharing is enabled.
I think you will succeed. All of the above has just been verified in conjunction: a computer with Windows 10 Pro and an Atheros Wi-Fi adapter, iOS 8.4 and Android 5.1.1 devices were connected.
Additional: Connectify Hotspot promises to share Wi-Fi with additional functions (for example, automatically start sharing at login) in Windows 10, in addition, in the comments to my previous article on this topic (see How to share Wi-Fi from a laptop ), some have the free MyPublicWi-Fi program.
How to distribute Internet from iPhone: to PC and laptop, via USB
The iPhone had the ability to transfer data back in 2008. This is a very useful function, since you can distribute the Internet from an iPhone or Apple tablet with a SIM card to computers, laptops, and even to other phones.
- Enable data transfer to iPhone.
- Connect devices to the created network in a suitable way.
Watch also a video where you will learn how to distribute the Internet from an iPhone or iPad:
Data transmission via Bluetooth loses to other options in terms of speed. But broadcasting the Internet in this way is almost as easy as distributing Wi-Fi to a computer from an iPhone.
To make a connection, you must:
- Enable iPhone data transfer mode.
- Activate Bluetooth on both devices.
- Create a pair.
- Assign a Bluetooth device as an access point.
To create a pair on a PC or laptop running Windows, you need to go to the “Control Panel”. “Devices”. “Bluetooth”. In the list, you need to select “iPhone” and click on the “Connect” button that appears next to it.
On iPhone, you need to allow pairing, and on Windows, confirm that the code matches.
Now the connection is established, but the Internet is not working yet. You will need to select “iPhone” again in the list of devices and click “Connect via”. “Access point”.
We have found a video instruction for you on how to connect the Internet via USB:
If you do not know how to distribute the Internet from iPhone to PC that does not have wireless modules, use USB. Let’s take a closer look at how to share the Internet from an iPhone via USB.
Plug in the wire and give the computer time to detect the USB device. The easiest way to do this is with Mac OS, for obvious reasons. For Windows 7 and 10, we recommend installing iTunes. In this case, there are no problems with iPhone detection.
A new element appears in the network connections section, which is activated in the standard way. If the hardware does not appear in the list, try restarting your computer.
If the modem mode is not available
But it can also happen that the “Modem mode” item in the settings is inactive (highlighted in gray) or even missing. In this case, select the “Cellular” item in the settings and enable data transmission (“Cellular data”).
It is also helpful to go to the Data Parameters section. “Cellular Data Network” and scroll down the page to make sure that the APN, Username and Password fields are filled in and correspond to the cellular operator you are currently using.
Typically, the Internet connection is configured automatically by ISPs. But failures and non-standard situations are possible. If the listed fields are not filled in or filled in incorrectly, you need to get the actual parameters from the operator.
The look of iOS settings hasn’t changed much over the years. Knowing how to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi or USB from iPhone 5s, you can easily figure out how to connect the most modern mobile gadgets from Apple.
We connect devices
Let’s figure out how to distribute Wi-Fi from iPhone to devices running different operating systems. First, turn on Wi-Fi on your PC or laptop.
In Windows 7 and 10, this can be done through the icon located on the taskbar. On laptops, turning wireless devices on and off is also possible using a dedicated switch or function keys. Which one depends on the model, so see the instructions for your laptop. You can also control Wi-Fi from the Control Panel.
The situation is similar in Mac OS. You can connect Wi-Fi through the icon on the top panel, or in the system settings, in the “Network” section.
It’s easy to figure out how to distribute the Internet from iPhone to iPad, because they both work under iOS. After turning on data transfer on the phone, you just need to turn on Wi-Fi in the tablet settings.
Similar steps are required for Android tablets or phones.
After activating the modem mode, a network is created, which is visible in the list of Wi-Fi connections. The network name contains the word “iPhone”. Just select this network and after asking for a password, enter it.
There is no need to change the parameters of the created connection, everything should work fine with the default settings. If everything worked out, the following message will appear on the top line on the smartphone: “Connected devices 1”.
Putting the iPhone in tethering mode
Let’s try the iPhone 5s as an example. First of all, you need to enable data transfer. This can be done in the settings. There you will see the item “Modem Mode”. You need to go into it and activate.
The first time you connect, a password will be automatically generated. It is required to be entered on all devices that will connect to the iPhone via Wi-Fi. If desired, the password can be changed. There is no risk of forgetting it, since it is not hidden by the system.
The password should not be too simple so that lovers of free Internet surfing cannot use your network.
Agree to the offer to turn on Wi-Fi if you plan to distribute the Internet in this way. The listed actions may be enough for everything to work and the question of how to distribute the Internet from an iPhone to a laptop or PC is solved.
Wi-Fi over bluetooth
Computers do not have a built-in WI-FI module. After all, they usually connect directly to the router via an Ethernet cable. Accordingly, it will not be possible to distribute the Internet from the phone to the computer via a mobile hotspot. What to do? There is a way out. you need to distribute WI-FI via Bluetooth. To do this, on the phone, in the “Access point and modem” section, you need to move the switch next to the Bluetooth modem item to the active position.
After starting the Bluetooth modem mode, you need to turn on the computer and follow the instructions below:
- Before sharing WI-FI from an iPhone or Android phone, you need to connect your PC to your mobile device. To do this, go to the control panel of your computer (you can do this through the “Search”).
- In Control Panel, click on the tab called “Devices”. There you need to select the sub-item “Bluetooth”.
- The system will detect devices that are close to your PC. Select your device from the list, then click on the “Connect” button.
- The smartphone will ask you to connect. To confirm it, you need to tap on the “Create a pair” button. On the PC, you also need to confirm the connection in the window that appears.
- The connection between the devices is established. To use the mobile Internet, you need to right-click on the Bluetooth icon, which is located on the taskbar of your computer.
- Select Show Bluetooth Devices from the drop-down list. A new window will open with a list of paired devices. Highlight your smartphone, then click on “Connect via” in the top panel. In the drop-down list, select the “Access Point” option.
After carrying out the above manipulations, the Internet on the computer should appear. If the sites still do not load, then in this case, try replacing the DNS addresses. This is done as follows:
- Go to the “Network Connections” section located on the control panel.
- Then RMB click on the “Bluetooth Network Connection” adapter. In the drop-down list, click on the inscription “Properties”.
- Find the item “IP version 4 (TCP / IPv4)” and then click the “Properties” button. A new window will open, in which it is necessary to check the item “Use the following DNS server addresses”. Now manually register static DNS addresses.
How to distribute the Internet
Not so long ago, it was impossible to distribute WI-FI from a mobile device. Fortunately, relatively recently, WI-FI Direct technology was introduced into modern devices. What is Wi-Fi Direct and what is it for? In fact, this is a special technology that allows you to distribute the Internet directly from Android, iPad, iPhone and other mobile devices. At the same time, there is no need for an intermediary device in the form of a router. This feature is implemented using a special hardware module that is built into the mobile gadget.
The ability to distribute the Internet from iPad and other mobile devices has appeared relatively recently. Let’s consider several ways how you can distribute the Internet from a mobile device to a tablet, phone, laptop, computer, etc.
Perhaps the simplest way to distribute Wi-Fi from your phone is to use the so-called modem mode. It can be used to share the Internet with other users.
Let’s consider the process of its activation using the example of a smartphone from Samsung. So, to enable modem mode, you need to:
- Go to the “Settings” menu. There you need to find the “Connections” item and tap on it.
- Then you need to go to the section called “Access Point and Modem”.
- There is the item “Mobile access point”, but opposite you can see the switch. Click on it to activate tethering.
After carrying out the above manipulations, the mobile access point is activated, and your phone can act as a router. You will be able to distribute the Internet from your phone to a laptop and other devices that have a hardware Wi-Fi module.
Attention! Before turning on the distribution of the Internet, make sure that your tariff plan provides you with mobile traffic.
How to distribute mobile Internet from a phone
The situation when you need to distribute Wi-Fi from your phone happens quite often. Fortunately, modern smartphones have a special hardware module that allows you to share the Internet. Nevertheless, many users do not know how to distribute the Internet from a phone. If you belong to this category of people, then you have come to the right place. Indeed, in this article we will talk about how you can distribute the Internet from an iPhone or Android.
Access point settings
A mobile hotspot, like any router, can be configured (i.e. change the name of the access point, set a password, etc.). This is done as follows:
- Go to the “Mobile hotspot” menu (how to get to it was mentioned above).
- Tap on the “Advanced” button, which is located in the right corner of the screen. It looks like an ellipsis.
- In the drop-down list, tap on the item “Setting up a mobile hotspot”. A new window will open. In it you can see the current password, set a new access key, change the name of the hotspot.
Wi-Fi over USB
However, not all computers have a module for connecting via Bluetooth. In this case, the only way to connect to the mobile internet is to use USB. Before sharing Wi-Fi on your iPhone or Android, connect your smartphone to your computer via a cable. Then you need to go to the “Access Point and Modem” section and there activate the switch that is opposite the USB-modem item.
A new network connection will appear on the computer. It is through him that you can access the World Wide Web.
Important! If you are the owner of a device from Apple, then for a correct connection via USB, you need iTunes to be installed on your computer.
If there is no “Modem mode” in the menu
A common problem is the phenomenon of missing the Hotspot tab on the iPhone. In such a situation, the question arises of how to access the Internet.
To gain access to the network, perform a number of operations:
- Enter the settings menu.
- Open “Cellular”.
- Find “Data Options”.
- Select the tab “Cellular data network”.
- In “Modem mode” specify the phrase “Internet” in the ARN field.
After that, the “Modem Mode” tab should be displayed.
To disconnect synchronized devices, you need to deactivate the modem mode. Then turn off Bluetooth, disconnect the cable from the smartphone.
Setting and changing the Wi-Fi password
In order to connect to tethering mode, you need to set a Wi-Fi password.
If necessary, the requisite can be changed:
- Go to “Settings”.
- Select the section “Cellular data”.
- Click on the command “Modem mode” and “Wi-Fi password”.
Password must be less than 8 ASCII characters. When using non-ASCII characters, other gadgets will not be able to connect to the access point in modem mode. The ASCII table does not include the designations of Chinese, Russian, Japanese and other languages.
- all letters of the Latin alphabet in upper and lower case;
- numbers from 0 to 9;
- some punctuation marks.
Tethering on iPhone and iPad
After activating the mode, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 6 and others act as access points, I acquire the functions of Wi-Fi routers.
- Enable mobile network on iPhone: LTE or 3G.
- Activate modem mode by sliding the slider to On.
Bluetooth is not a very popular distribution method. Using a USB cable is suitable for desktop computers that do not have a built-in Wi-Fi receiver.
Features of the
For each iPhone model, there are some peculiarities of setting up the Internet connection. However, setting up the distribution of the network in devices operating on the basis of different operating systems does not fundamentally differ. The main condition for gaining access to the Internet is the operating system installed on iPhone 4s and higher.
The battery discharge rate of the device when sharing the Internet depends on the number of paired devices.
How to share Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi) from an iPhone, how to share the Internet with a computer, laptop and other devices from an iPad: video modem mode
A large amount of traffic or unlimited Internet makes it possible to use the iPhone as a modem. By becoming an access point, the smartphone allows you to share megabytes with the owners of other devices. Ways to distribute the Internet from iPhone and iPad include Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi), Bluetooth and USB cable transmission.
Before making an Internet transfer via Bluetooth, make sure that the iPhone or iPad is detected.
To do this, you need to do the following:
- Enter “Settings”.
- Open the “Bluetooth” tab.
- To sync iPhone with another device, create a pair and enter the password displayed on the gadget.
- After establishing the connection, enter the settings menu.
- Select in “Paired devices” the name of the smartphone and click on “Internet access”.
An open tab must be active: it does not need to be closed.
After that, on the PC or MAC, they set up a network connection via a Bluetooth connection. On the computer, the Bluetooth icon is selected in the notification area. Next, the command “Join a personal network” is indicated. Then right-click on the device name and select “Connect via”. “Access Point”.
If not synchronized, repeat the above steps by turning Bluetooth off or on.
To connect a computer via a USB cable in modem mode, step by step take the steps:
- Update iTunes to the latest version on the official source.
- Insert USB cable into iPhone socket and connect to PC.
- On a mobile gadget, activate the modem mode by sliding the slider. If necessary, make the device trusted by clicking on the “Trust” command.
- When connecting the cable to the computer, select the line “USB only”.
The iPod or iPhone appears in the iTunes window. If the gadget is not recognized, you should change the cable to another one. The final step will be to check Internet access in Windows 7 or Windows 10 operating systems.
If the connection does not appear, enter “Computer Management”. “Device Manager”. “Network Adapters”. “Apple Mobile Ethernet”. Then right-click and select “Engage”.
If the connection is correct, a status window should appear, as in the photo.
Create Wi-Fi access via command line
You can also use the command line to connect your phone to the Internet via a laptop, that is, using a virtual router. This procedure may seem complicated to an inexperienced user, however, following the instructions exactly, you will be able to turn on the Wi-Fi point in just a few minutes.
To start distributing WI-FI from laptop to phone, you need:
- Enter the command entry mode as administrator. To do this, in the “Search” line (called using the WinQ keys), enter “Command line” or cmd. In the drop-down list, click RMB on the corresponding line and select “Run as administrator”.
- Initialize the Wi-Fi network using the first command shown in the image. In it, the TestShare parameter denotes the name of the future network, and the numbers in order are the input password (at least 8 characters). The second command in the list can start the registered network, and the last command can stop it.
To distribute the Internet via a laptop to a phone or other device, you need to enable sharing to the newly created Wi-Fi point. To do this, go to the “Network Connections” section and call the properties of the network through which the Internet is connected to the laptop. After that, in the “Advanced” tab, put a “bird” in front of the corresponding item, and in the drop-down list, select the name of the created virtual router.
How to distribute Wi-Fi from a laptop
You can easily connect your phone, tablet or other device to a high-speed Internet connected to your home through a Wi-Fi router (router). However, such a device is not always at hand (for example, you went to the country house, taking with you a laptop and a wireless USB modem). In such cases, you can use the Internet on a mobile gadget through a laptop, entrusting it with the functions of a router. Consider how to make a laptop a WI-FI access point.
Creating a wireless access point using the Windows menu
The easiest way to create a virtual router is to use the “Network Control Center” function built into the OS. This requires:
- In the system tray, right-click on the global network access icon and select the required item.
- In the window that opens, activate the “Create a new connection” function, and then go to the “Connect to a Wi-Fi network manually” section (“PC-PC network settings”).
- Set the name of the future wireless network (for example, VirtualRouter), security type and access key. A security key can be used to prevent third parties from connecting to Wi-Fi. For protection, it is recommended to use WPA2-Personal, which allows you to set a password of 8 characters or more. If your phone cannot find a WPA-2 protected network, try changing the encryption to WEP or abandon the password altogether.
- To create a Wi-Fi hotspot, click “Next”.
After the virtual router is created, in order to successfully use the Internet through it, you may additionally need to enable public access. This is done as follows:
- We go to the “Network Control Center” and call the properties of the network through which the laptop is connected to the Internet.
- In the “Access” tab, check the item “Allow other users to use the Internet on this PC”.
- We select the device with which the phone or other device will be connected. In our case, the access will be via Wi-Fi.
After all the steps are completed, turn on Wi-Fi on the mobile gadget and start a search for available networks. In the drop-down list, select the name of the network that was specified when creating the virtual Wi-Fi router, and specify the specified key.
Creation of a virtual router through additional software
If none of the above methods helped to activate the distribution of the Internet on the phone, you can try to create a virtual Wi-Fi router using special software. There are a lot of such utilities on the network, but among them the most convenient are:
Sharing Wi-Fi with MyPublicWi-Fi
This application is absolutely free and has a user-friendly interface, albeit in a foreign language. With it, you can make a Wi-Fi hotspot with just a few clicks:
- Download and install the utility on a laptop. The latest version of the program weighs about 1 MB, so there will be no problems with downloading.
- Run the application as administrator.
- The utility itself consists of three tabs: Setting, Clients and Management. In the first tab, you can specify the name of the connection (Network name), set the password (Network key) and select the connection that uses the laptop. Be sure to check the box next to “Enable Internet Sharing”. To start the virtual router, click LMB Set Up and Start Hotspot.
- In order for the program to load automatically after each start of the PC, go to the Management tab and select the appropriate item. You may need to prevent users of the created network from using the Download Master and mTorrent file sharing services. To do this, check the top box, as shown in the figure.
- To find out who is connected to your point, go to the Clients tab.
Ways to create a wireless access point
Any modern laptop is equipped with a wireless adapter that can be used as a Wi-Fi router. To do this, you need to create a kind of virtual bridge that connects network equipment (Wi-Fi adapter and network card).
To get this kind of routing, you can use the following tools:
- standard tools of Windows OS (graphical application “Network Control Center”, command line or bat-file);
- additional software.
Whichever method is chosen, you need to ensure compliance with the following conditions:
- The laptop must be running Windows 7 or higher. In earlier versions of operating systems (for example, in Windows XP), support for Wi-Fi networks is implemented at a low level. Therefore, it is not a fact that you will be able to turn on the distribution of the Internet on old operating systems.
- The laptop must be equipped with a Wi-Fi adapter. To find out if a wireless adapter is installed on your PC, you can go to the “Device Manager” and in the “Network adapters” tab, view the required information. The Wi-Fi adapter is called the Wireless 802.11 type.
- The PC must be connected to a wired or wireless Internet.
Using a bat file
Creating a Wi-Fi access point via the command line is inconvenient because every time you turn off the PC, you need to re-write all the commands. Therefore, this method of turning a laptop into a router can only be used for a one-time Internet connection to a phone.
The execution of the above commands can be fully automated. To do this, you need to write a small script in a standard Windows text editor, and then save the document on the laptop desktop under any name in the.bat format. To start distributing Wi-Fi using a virtual router to your phone, you just need to run this document with administrator rights. An example script is shown in the figure, where YourSSID and YourPassword are the name of the wireless connection and the access key to it.
So, follow the steps below and you will safely activate tethering mode and be able to share Wi-Fi from your iPad or iPhone:
- The first thing to do is take your iPhone or iPad mobile gadget and go to settings. On the device desktop. an icon with a gear drawn on it;
- After the actions described above, you need to select the item “Cellular data” in the menu that opens;
- Next, move the slider next to “Enable LTE” to the activated position, for this move the slider to the right;
- After that, you need to select the “Modem Mode” item and click on it;
Important: for security reasons, in order to restrict access to your network by various attackers, I recommend that you come up with the most complex password, consisting of both numbers and letters in lower and upper case.
Share Wi-Fi from iPhone or iPad
Hello everyone, dear users of Apple mobile gadgets. Today I will tell you how you can distribute Wi-Fi to other devices from your iPhone or iPad (in principle, there is no difference between the settings in the iPhone and iPad). Distribution of WI-FI to other devices in iOS is called a beautiful phrase of words. modem mode.
In order to activate this mode, by default the modem mode is not active, you need to use the settings. Also, activation of this mode is not available on all devices. Supported Devices (Note that your iPhone or iPad must be 3G capable):
- iPhone from 4 models, namely: 4, 4s, 5, 5s, 6, 6 plus, 6s, etc. For example, I used this mode on the iPhone 5s, everything worked perfectly;
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi Cellular and of course later;
- iPad model Mini WI-FI.
I repeat that your device, to activate the modem mode, must support the 3G network.
I want to note that for this mode to work correctly, your cellular operator must support the “Modem Mode” function. Here are the settings for the most popular mobile operators:
- MTS. To configure the mode with this cellular operator, you need to specify the APN. internet.mts.ru login and connection password. mts;
- Beeline. To configure the mode with this cellular operator, you need to specify the APN. internet.beeline.ru login and connection password. beeline;
- Megaphone. To configure the mode with this cellular operator, you need to specify the APN. internet login and connection password. gdata.
In most cases, the modem mode will work immediately after activating it on your Apple mobile device iPhone and iPad, no additional settings are required, standard settings are enough.
That’s all for me, I hope you could easily distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi from your iPhone and iPad mobile device. I would be very grateful if you share the article on social networks so that your friends and acquaintances can also use it. Still have questions? You can ask them using the comment form below. See you in the following useful materials.
We distribute the Internet from the iPhone via Bluetooth
We carry out all the actions of the first paragraph to activate the “Modem Mode” and turn on Bluetooth.
We connect iPhone with IOS or Android device. Click “Create a pair” and enter the password that appears on another gadget. Everything, the connection is established.
It remains to allow the use of the Internet of the apple device. Go to the Bluetooth connection settings and put a tick in the “Internet access” box:
Ways to distribute Wi-Fi from Iphone
Often you have to use the iPhone as an access point, that is, distribute the Internet to other devices. Many users are interested in the question of how this can be done. For this, a very convenient modem mode appeared in the apple device, starting from model 3. It allows you to share megabytes of traffic with the owners of other devices running different operating systems. How to do this using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or USB connection, you can find out in this article.
We distribute the Internet from the iPhone via USB
To use the iPhone as a USB modem, simply connect the device to a Windows-based computer or laptop and select “USB only”. The system will automatically recognize the device and place it in the “Network adapters”. If this does not happen, which sometimes happens, restart the PC. If after that a new active network connection does not appear, do the following:
right-click and select “Engage”:
If everything is done correctly, you can see the following information in the information about network connections:
How to distribute the Internet via modem mode
We distribute the Internet from the iPhone via Wi-Fi
To do this, follow a few simple steps:
We check if the 3G network and “data transfer” are activated.
Optimal performance is provided in the coverage area by the LTE standard. In case of absence, you can be content with 3G.
After turning on the cellular data, the “Modem mode” tab will become active, open it and enter the password for the network. It must be at least 8 characters long. At the last step, turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth:
On an IOS or Android device, turn on the Wi-Fi search and join the network called the iPhone. To do this, we use the password that was entered when activating the modem mode. It must be remembered that the distributing device consumes much more energy and it is recommended to put it on charge.
Frequent problem: where did the “modem mode” icon disappear??
This issue occurs when an IOS version of the operating system is updated, which resets the cellular settings. For a solution, you need to enter the data of the cellular network manually:
- go to “Settings”;
- select “Cellular”;
- then “Data Parameters”;
- the last tab “Cellular data network”;
- in the “Modem mode” section, enter APN, Username and password.
Values for these fields can be found on operators’ websites.
Are there any differences in setting for individual models
Support for the modem mode appeared in the iPhone from model 3, and in the iPad with the appearance of a mobile communication module. Setting up the distribution of the Internet in devices operating on the basis of various operating systems does not fundamentally differ. The information provided in this article is quite enough to take full advantage of the “Modem Mode” functions of your apple friend.