IPhone 10 face ID not working
1 way. restart
The most common way to fix iOS problems is to reboot. If Face ID is not available, use the power off / lock button, restart your device and check again how the face recognition function works.
Face ID not working on iPhone X. what to do?
The owners of the new iPhone X faced a number of problems while using the flagship: someone’s smartphone stopped working in the cold for a while, someone noticed a green line on the OLED display, and many users also encountered Face ID not working. on iPhone X from time to time. Because of this, the iPhone X does not recognize its owner’s face. Such an abundance of problems with a new gadget is very frustrating. However, for some of them there is a solution in the form of the Tenorshare ReiBoot program.
What to do if Face ID didn’t work on iPhone X?
Method 2. DFU mode
Another working method. transfer to DFU mode.
How to enter DFU mode on iPhone X
Connect your iPhone X to your computer with a USB cable.
2. Open iTunes (always use the latest version of the program).
3. Simultaneously press and hold the side power button and the volume down key for about 10 seconds.
4. Release the power button, but hold the other button for another 15 seconds.
5. iTunes will detect iPhone in recovery mode. The smartphone screen must remain off. You can now either update or restore your iPhone.
Why iPhone X won’t recognize a face?
The most common cases when Face ID does not work on iPhone 10 were recorded after installing the iOS 12 update. It is not clear why the update affected the work of the face recognition function in such a way. But there are cases where the iPhone X does not recognize a face on earlier versions of iOS as well. Here are a few ways to help restore Face ID to work properly.
Method 3. Tenorshare reiboot
The one-stop solution for most iOS bugs is Tenorshare ReiBoot. With just a few clicks, you can put your iPhone 10 into recovery mode and then exit without losing personal information and data on the device.
Download Tenorshare ReiBoot software from the official website and install it on your work computer. Then connect your iPhone X to your computer using a USB cable. the program will identify your device.
Click on the active button “Solve All iOS Freezes” and wait for the utility to enter the device into recovery mode. You should see the iTunes logo and USB cable on the display.
To fix the operating system, click on the Next button as soon as it becomes available. Next, your device will reboot and be ready to use again. Check out how Face ID works on iPhone X and reconfigure it if necessary.
How To Fix Face ID Is Not Working On iPhone X/XR/XS/ XS Max 2020
You can use ReiBoot as a tool for solving iOS problems on both Windows and Mac. It is quite simple to use. only three buttons. The utility helps to solve errors such as black screen on iPhone. The iPhone is frozen on an apple, the iPad is disconnected, connect to iTunes as unlock, on the blue screen of death, or the iPhone does not respond at all to your button presses. These and many other bugs can be resolved with Tenorshare ReiBoot.
Note that on iOS 12, in most cases, the “Face ID does not work on iPhone X” problem is solved by simply restarting the device.
How to unlock iPhone X using Face ID?
We’ve already set up Face ID on iPhone 10, but how do you use this feature? Everything is very simple, for this:
- Activate the display with the power button.
- Look at the screen until unlocking occurs (fractions of a second). Be sure to keep your eyes open and your head straight if possible.
- Swipe up with your finger to access the desktop.
How to set up Face ID on iPhone X?
Full description of Face ID technology
With the release of the iPhone 5S, the fingerprint scanner, referred to as Touch ID, debuted, and for 5 years now this technology has served faithfully not only to owners of iPhones of different generations, but also to users of Android smartphones. 2017 was marked as the year of frameless devices, so all manufacturers began to install a fingerprint scanner on the back. the majority do not like such a decision, what is there to hide. Before the release of the iPhone X, many argued about where Apple would place the Touch ID: some said that it would be located inside the display, the latter stood for the fact that, like everyone else. behind, others predicted Touch ID on the side like Sony smartphones, but the latter were skeptical at all, allegedly they would cut out fingerprinting altogether. Who was right? That’s right, skeptics, however, Touch ID was removed for a reason, it was replaced with advanced technology that will not appear in competitors’ devices for the next year and a half. Face ID.
Face ID. this is another way to protect personal data (the CIA just collected all the prints from you, now it’s time to know everyone in person) from unwanted viewing by third parties. If even a child can already set up the fingerprint scanner, then with Face ID it is somewhat more difficult, since the technology is new. Let’s figure it out.
How to set up Face ID on iPhone 10. instructions
Not everything is new. complex. Face ID, like Touch ID, uses the registration of user data (in our case, a face), after which the function can be safely used. Now in more detail:
- Let’s say your iPhone X is already on and pretty much all set up. We take the phone, go to the “Settings” menu. “Face ID and password”, click “Save”. Now your iPhone 10 will briefly notify you of your actions on the screen, press the blue “Start” button. The front camera will turn on and you will need to wait a couple of seconds until a circle appears with white marks around it. Registration software will overlay 3D markings on the display to show your line of eyes and face.
- Now you need to slowly roll your head in a circle in any direction until all the marks from white to green. Click “Continue”, and then turn your head in a circle again until progress is made. After a successful scan, the iPhone X will create a 3D model of your face, by which, in fact, it will recognize you.
Face ID not working on iPhone X
Face ID suddenly stopped working on iPhone X. This problem can be caused by both software and hardware failure. IPhones are a very delicate thing and therefore it is best to contact a service center, where you can professionally diagnose and repair iPhone.
One of the official recommendations of Apple, as the developers of Face ID, is to update the operating system of devices, at least to version iOS 12. Previous versions are officially recognized as unfinished in terms of the functioning of sensors for cameras. But even after that, problems with face recognition remained. Sometimes rebooting the smartphone helps. The phone has several sensors that are responsible for the correct operation of the system:
- IR emitter, helps to scan the face in the dark;
- an infrared camera that works with the Secure Enclave, transmitting its created point image there;
- point projection system, as accurately as possible carries out facial restoration, using more than 3000 points.
Why face is not recognized
While introducing facial recognition technology into mass production, Apple has conducted many tests. But the functioning of the application still raises criticism. Defects are constantly being studied. The firm releases new patches and updates. But the problem still remains. There are several of its main manifestations:
- the process of building a face model is very slow;
- failure of the scanner, several retries are required to disable the lock;
- application starts slowly, long reading of the original.
Let’s try to understand what the problem is and what you can do with your own hands, and in what cases it is better to contact the service center.
Face ID does not work on Iphone
The problem of disabling the Face ID function is quite a common malfunction. The innovation of unlocking the phone by recognizing the owner’s face is very interesting and progressive. But the problem is that the function turns off at the most unexpected moment and the gadget becomes completely useless. Of course, if the phone was dropped or drowned, then the manufacturers have nothing to do with it. But what if it happened for no reason? Let’s consider the problems associated with incorrect operation of True Depth.
All phones are very sensitive to external damage. A failure in mechanics can occur due to the fall of the device, overheating, or, conversely, a long stay in the cold. Water ingress also damages the smartphone.
The failure of the Face ID function may be due to the failure of the camera or one of its sensors. It is better to repair such damage at service centers. They will not only replace faulty components, but also give a guarantee for repairs.
How to fix problems
First, let’s figure out if you are using the scanner correctly:
- if the phone is wearing a case, monitor the status of the sensors, they must be open;
- iPhone must be held vertically;
- keep a distance of at least 50 cm;
- when scanning, take off your glasses and sunglasses;
- turn so that the sun hits your face, not the camera.
Some of the most common troubleshooting methods are:
- Reboot the device. If all the rules are followed. and your Face ID is silent, hold down three keys of the phone and force restart it.
- DFU mode. Your smartphone pretends that it does not understand you and does not react to any actions. Looks like a software glitch. Try switching to DFU mode. To do this, connect your iPhone to your laptop via a USB cable, turn on iTunes. With its help, you need to reboot the device.
- Tenorshare UltData. If restarting via iTunes did not work, try installing Tenorshare ReiBoot. It helps to automatically find the phone and restore all the data that is on it. There is a mobile and computer version of the program.
Service centers that work with iPhone X can help you solve all the crash and malfunction problems.
Why Face ID may not work on iPhone
The security system may not work in different cases. First of all, you need to make sure that the user’s phone or tablet supports this function. After that, you should follow the steps below and after each of them check if the problem is resolved:
- Check for updates. Make sure your iPhone or iPad is up to date with the latest possible iOS version.
- Check your Face ID system settings. To do this, go to the main menu of the device, find the “Settings” icon there, select the “Face ID and Passcode” section. Make sure the system is configured correctly and the function the person is trying to use is enabled.
- Make sure the camera taking the picture is not covered or stained by anything. If it is covered with a cover or low-quality protective film, the system will not be able to recognize the owner’s face. If this is true, then when trying to set up Face ID, the user will be prompted with a message stating that the camera is obscured, an arrow will appear pointing to the camera itself.
- Make sure that the user’s face is not covered by anything. It is necessary to check whether the nose and mouth are completely visible to the camera. The technology allows you to work with the camera and with sunglasses, but sometimes the latter have a special coating that blocks the infrared color used by the camera. If this is the case, then you need to use Face ID without sunglasses.
- Make sure the user’s gaze is directed exactly towards the camera. Face ID only works if the gadget is in portrait orientation and the person is looking directly at the camera.
- Set up an alternate view. Since people can change over time and the protection system does not recognize them, you can set Face ID to an “alternative view” so that it can recognize a person’s face.
- Try to reset Face ID settings. If none of the above helped, then you need to reset the parameters. To do this, go to the “Face ID and Passcode Settings” and click on the “Reset Face ID” button. After that, the system needs to be configured again by clicking “Configure Face ID”.
Important! There are many reasons for the incorrect operation of the system. It is necessary to check them all step by step and correct them if possible.
All sensors are located on a special panel
Checking Face ID settings on iPhone
One of the most common problems is system misconfiguration. Face ID may simply not be configured on the user’s iPhone or iPad. If so, then:
- You need to go to “Settings”.
- Select the “Face ID and Passcode” section.
- Click on “Set up Face ID”.
- Make sure that the device is in vertical projection, place it in front of your face and click “Proceed”.
- Place the face in the frame and make circular movements with it according to the instructions so that the sensors can fix it from all sides and take a 3D picture.
- Click “Next” and follow the same procedure.
- Complete the procedure.
If a regular password has not been set, you can specify it in the next step. To select features that use Face ID, you must return to the “Face ID and Passcode” section.
Correct phone and face positioning for Face ID to work correctly on iPhone
In order for the system to capture and store a high-quality image, it is necessary to select a suitable room with good lighting. Don’t rely entirely on the infrared sensor to help you take photos in dim light. To create a correct snapshot, you need to:
- Set the phone to scan the owner’s face.
- Place your face straight and towards the light source.
- Place the gadget vertically, that is, the way it is usually held in the hand when surfing the Internet.
- Shooting should be done at arm’s length (ideal range 25 to 50 centimeters).
- The eyes should be looking at the camera at all times. This concerns not only the settings, but also subsequent unlocks.
Keep your phone straight or it may stop scanning your face
What is Face ID on iPhone
Face ID is a technology that helps you securely unlock your iPhone or iPad, confirm online purchases, sign in to apps, and more with just one glance at the front camera.
Face ID lets you scan your face to log into your iPhone securely
The system compares the user’s face with the photo that the iPhone owner originally entered when setting it up and decides whether to allow him to control the phone or not. The photos themselves are taken with an iPhone 10 using a special camera called the True Depth Camera.
Many were indignant when they saw the area on the new gadget, which is located on the upper front panel, because it does not allow the screen to be fully expanded. This was done for a reason. This area is just teeming with various sensors and scanners. In addition to the usual front-facing camera, microphone, speaker, light and proximity sensors, it manages to fit the backlight system and infrared system.
It is from the latter that the very camera that takes pictures of the face consists. The functionality allows you to photograph a person in 3D, and when checking this image to compare with a person’s face. Infrared illumination is needed in order to take the clearest pictures even in low light conditions.
Important! The sensor directs about 30 thousand invisible points to the face, based on their location and determines whether a person’s face is suitable.
There are times when Face ID does not work on iPhone X. Why this happens and how to fix the problem will be described in the sections below.
Face ID not working on iPhone X. what to do
Modern gadgets have gone far ahead of their predecessors, push-button phones. They have better cameras, more internal and RAM memory, a clear and high-quality display. They are being improved not only in terms of general functionality for entertainment and convenience, but also in security measures. Apple not so long ago announced its development of Face ID, which replaced the fingerprint scanner and the “Home” button completely. This article will explain what Face ID is and why Face ID sometimes doesn’t work on iPhone 10.
Verifying TrueDepth Camera Operation
Before setting the function, make sure that no foreign objects are blocking the view of the camera. You can check the camera in the same settings as in the previous paragraph. If it is closed or smeared with something, the system will notify the user about it. To start the test, you need to place the phone in front of you in portrait orientation at arm’s length or 25-50 centimeters from your face and look directly into the lens.
Note! A breakdown could occur if a non-original (fake) phone was purchased or the gadget fell.
An alternate look is also included with the main settings menu
How to reset Face ID on iPhone
Sometimes you need to completely reset your Face ID settings. This is necessary when the system for some reason does not work correctly, does not identify a person under any pretext, or a person wants to give a phone to his friend for a while. In this case, the parameters are reset. To do this, you must adhere to the following step-by-step instructions:
- Go to the main menu of the phone.
- Find the “Settings” icon and select it.
- Click on the item “Face ID and passcode”.
- Select “Reset”.
It is necessary to change the system settings as a last resort
The article covered what to do if Face ID stopped working on iPhone X and how it should be configured correctly. There are many reasons why the system may not work. You should go through the list and try all possible settings before replacing the device under warranty or buying a new one.
Why Face ID doesn’t work?
If Face ID does not work on your iPhone, the reasons for this may be different and by no means always contacting a service center is required to solve them. Let’s take a look at the top reasons why Face ID might not work and how to fix the problem yourself.
- If iPhone doesn’t recognize your face, check for dirt on the top of the device. where the TrueDepth camera and infrared sensors are located, which are responsible for scanning the face. Thoroughly clean the glass surface and test Face ID afterwards.
- Try turning off the Attention Alert feature. The essence of its work boils down to the fact that the phone will not be unlocked if you do not look at it with emphasis directly. You can disable the function in the phone settings (Settings. General. Accessibility. Attention recognition). It should be noted that disabling this feature can reduce the security of Face ID. to unlock the phone, it will be enough to bring it to your face (even, for example, when you are sleeping).
- Reset Face ID settings. You can also do this through the phone menu (Settings. Face ID and passcode. Reset Face ID). After performing the reset, you will need to re-scan the face and set up Face ID step by step.
- Hard reset your iPhone. You can read about how to do this on devices without a physical Home button in the article “What to do if the iPhone X is frozen and does not respond to anything.”.
In everyday use of the iPhone, there are times when Face ID does not work. he shouldn’t work. The official Apple website provides several options in which this can happen.
- The device was just turned on or rebooted.
- than 48 hours have passed since the device was last unlocked.
- Six and a half days have passed since the last time you unlocked your device with a password, and 4 hours have passed since the last time you used Face ID.
- The device received a command to block from a remote user.
- Five unsuccessful attempts were made to recognize the face.
- The process of turning off the device / starting the “Emergency SOS” function has started (holding one of the volume buttons and the side button at the same time for 2 seconds).
- If the battery charge is below 10%.
In such cases, you may need to enter the passcode set on the device to unlock your phone, or you may need to unlock your iPhone with your Apple ID.
What to do if Face ID isn’t working?
If Face ID does not work, and the iPhone displays a system message about a problem with Face ID, it is most likely that the reasons for this lie in a hardware malfunction of the TrueDepth camera or sensors responsible for recognizing the user’s face.
The reasons for the hardware malfunction, in turn, may be damage to the sensors or the camera when dropped or other mechanical impact, or due to moisture getting inside the phone.
Face ID doesn’t work on iPhone X, iPhone XS, or iPhone XR. What to do?
Face ID takes iPhone security to the next level, introduced with the iPhone X. Future models. iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR. were also equipped with the wearer’s face recognition technology, which works even more quickly. Face ID facial recognition works smoothly and provides the highest level of data security. However, over time, some users may face the fact that Face ID does not work on their phone, or it does not work correctly. Let’s understand the problem in more detail.
Solutions to the problem if Face ID does not work
If your phone is under warranty, you should seek service under the Apple Warranty Policy. If the phone’s warranty does not apply, or the iPhone is mechanically damaged, our service center can offer a service to replace the iPhone with a new one. As a rule, replacement is made within 10 days (on average, 3-5 days). As a result, you get a brand new phone with an official Apple warranty.
Also, depending on the status of your device and the possibilities of its servicing, we can also offer the exchange of an iPhone for a new one at a special price. 23,500 rubles, similar to the exchange of a device with broken glass. How to do it? Read in our article: “How to Change an iPhone X to a New One at the Price of a Screen Replacement”.
If Face ID does not work for you and you still have questions after reading the article, we invite you in the comments to this article, where the service center staff will be able to answer you promptly. Write, call or come to visit. we will be happy to help in solving problems with your iPhone.
Why Face ID doesn’t work on iPhone X
The presented function may not function for various reasons, including mechanical damage and system failures. To determine the correct solution to fix the problem, you need to know the cause of the problem. The following factors are known today:
- iPhone Refuses to Recognize Face? Check the TrueDepth camera for dirt first. Perhaps the infrared sensors are covered with dirt, and since they act as a face scan, the function simply will not work. Wipe the screen with a napkin and check if the program works.
- The second reason is a system failure. The built-in technology is imperfect and in some situations a malfunction may pop up.
- Mechanical damage. The user could drop the phone, which subsequently landed unsuccessfully, and the sensors and other technical components were damaged.
Also, the system may not function for the following reasons:
- you have just launched your smartphone;
- the phone received a special lock command from the old owner. Contact him, because you will need to provide your Apple ID;
- charging on the phone is less than 10 percent;
- for seven days you have not touched your smartphone or removed the lock from the screen. Unlock the gadget by entering the password;
- you made five unsuccessful attempts and the device was unable to recognize your face.
Why Face ID doesn’t work on iPhone X, XS, XR. reasons and what to do?
Many owners of Apple smartphones are sometimes worried about why Face ID does not work on the Iphone X, and how can this be fixed? The presented function is a new stage of protection. The technology is considered unique, and Apple is the first company to use Face ID in phones. The described function is not used in all iPhone models, it is built only in X, XS, XS Max, XR. Let’s consider what problems can arise when using the program for face recognition, and how to solve the problems.
What to do if Face ID doesn’t work on iPhone 10
If Face ID Iphone X stopped working, then try creating a second face. Go to the settings and find the FACE ID section, where you need to select a tab that allows you to re-update the previously added face or add a second one. It is recommended to adjust in a bright room, without dark glasses, loose facial hair, strong makeup, headgear. This will ensure the best possible performance of the technology.
The second way you can fix the problem is to turn off the Attention Awareness feature. The service in question includes several useful phone protection options.
For example, it has a setting that requires you to look directly at the camera without looking away. If the user does not direct his gaze to the sensors and does not raise the camera evenly enough, the smartphone will not be unlocked. To disable this parameter, you need to go to the Face ID settings on the iPhone and deactivate the item “Demand attention”.
Updating the iOS system can help fix the problem with Face ID. If you have not installed new versions of iOS for a long time, then most likely the reason for the failure of the recognition program lies precisely in this. Especially, this criterion applies to the tenth iPhone, where users had problems using the function on the 11th version of iOS. Upgrade the system to the 12th version of the operating system and most bugs will no longer be disturbed.
The next solution is to reset your phone. The option will bring the desired result if the malfunction was associated with a failure of system parameters. At the same time, restoring from a copy will not guarantee the disappearance of errors. It is recommended to perform a full reset and self-configuration of the device from scratch. Go to the phone settings and in the appropriate section click the reset button.
If the problem is related to damage to parts, what could happen after the unsuccessful fall of the smartphone. The sensors and sensors built in for the operation of Face ID are quite fragile and can stop functioning at the slightest impact. In this case, you should contact a mobile device repair service, where specialists will replace the necessary parts.
Dropped into the water
If the phone gets into water, parts are damaged by moisture. In the future, the problem may arise both because of this, and due to improper disassembly and assembly of the phone. All elements of the True Depth camera, especially the loop, are very sensitive and can cause a short circuit if they get wet. In this case, with each attempt to save information about a new person, a message about a breakdown will be displayed.
Why Face ID doesn’t work on iPhone X, XS, XR: reasons and how to fix
The Face ID function is a technology that allows you to recognize the owner’s face, which became popular with the launch of the iPhone X. In the future, subsequent models (iPhone XS, XR) began to equip with facial recognition, gradually improving the option and significantly reducing the unlock time. It guarantees the highest security, but it happens that a function works incorrectly or does not work at all. Consider the reasons why FaceID does not work on iPhone X, XS, XR.
Do not forget to regularly update the operating system, if an error occurs, check if updates have been released. This can be done:
- go to the “Settings” item;
- go to the “Basic” tab;
- scroll down and select the item “Software update”;
- download and install all the necessary updates.
Apple often fixes various bugs in updates.
Incorrect display replacement
Has FaceID stopped working on iPhone X, XS, XR after a recent visit to the service with it? The function was probably damaged by the technician during the repair. Often this is due to fixing the camera, replacing secondary sensors or display. To avoid such breakdowns, the repair of these parts must be carried out separately from the replacement of FaceID components. But from time to time the masters neglect this rule for one reason or another.
Why FaceID doesn’t work on iPhone
There are several possible options for what could have happened to the phone and the function, and not all of them lead to a repairman. The Apple website has published a list of cases where face recognition works and should not:
- the device was last unlocked with a password more than six and a half days ago;
- FaceID was last used more than 4 hours ago;
- blocked by remote access;
- unsuccessfully used this feature five times in a row;
- the device is currently shutting down or initiating an “Emergency SOS” call;
- low battery power (less than 10%);
- the device was not active for 2 days.
If Face ID does not work for the reason from the list above. use a passcode or Apple ID.
If the iPhone is unsuccessfully dropped or bumped, it is possible that the True Depth functionality of the system may be damaged. It consists of very fragile parts, namely a point projector, an infrared camera and an infrared emitter, and it is impossible to predict what exactly will break upon impact. In addition, True Depth and the rear lower camera lens are closely related to each other, so if you damage it or its elements, FaceID is also disabled.
One of the conditions for FaceID to work is a native camera, therefore, if it is replaced, FaceID stops working and cannot be restored.
Adding an Alternate Appearance
As users previously added multiple fingerprints for one finger to Touch ID, you can add a second portrait to Face ID.
Just open the Settings section. Face ID and passcode. Alternative appearance and scan your face again.
It is better to ask a couple of faces with all possible differences: with glasses and without, before and after piercing, clean-shaven and with a thick beard.
Reconfiguring Face ID
Go to Settings. Face ID and passcode, enter the unlock code for the gadget and disable the scanner using the Reset Face ID option. We turn it on again and rebuild the sensor.
Sometimes re-tuning solves problems with frequent sensor failure.
Why Face ID won’t work and how to fix it
One of the most technologically advanced features in modern iPhones is the TrueDepth module. This is the same “monobrow” above the display, into which the camera, light and proximity sensors, an IR emitter, a similar sensor and a dot projector were placed.
Together, all this stuffing is the most advanced face scanner in a mobile device. None of Apple’s competitors have come close to this solution so far.
Unfortunately, the module does not always work correctly and may crash. Now let’s figure out how to fix the situation.
Disable attention recognition
You can customize your iPhone so that it does not require the user’s direct attention to the screen to unlock. It is enough to show your face to the scanner, but not to look at the gadget to trigger the sensor.
Of course, this slightly reduces protection, allowing, for example, friends to unlock the gadget using the sleeping owner. In practice, this disabling reduces trigger lag and minimizes Face ID errors.
How to make Face ID work better on iPhone?
There are several recommendations from both Apple employees and power users that can seriously improve the scanner’s performance.
Don’t use cheap screen protectors and glass
In most cases, any protection covering the front of the smartphone will not affect the operation of Face ID at first.
After a certain time, inexpensive films and glasses can peel off, peel off or slightly detach from the screen. This can lead to distortion of the infrared signal from the sensors and poor sensor performance.
Wipe down the front of your iPhone periodically
A banal advice, but it is the correct cleaning of the front panel that is the key to good work of both the Face ID scanner and the front camera of the device.
Hold iPhone 30 to 50 cm away from your face
It is this range that is recommended to use for the fastest possible sensor response. Do not bring the device closer to your face or move it to a fully extended arm.
Take off glasses or other accessories
Some users face Face ID issues when trying to unlock their device with glasses. The problem lies in UV protection. Certain models may not transmit infrared radiation, as a result, the iPhone does not find some important points on the user’s face and does not unlock.
Sometimes scarves, neckerchiefs and bandanas that cover part of the face interfere with the operation.
Change the angle of your iPhone
It is not necessary to painfully wait until the scanner makes several unsuccessful readings and you have to manually enter the unlock password. Gradually raise the iPhone DO eye level and align it parallel to the plane of the face.
Changes its position relative to light sources so that as little direct light rays as possible fall on the front surface of the smartphone.
Face ID has a number of limitations
First, you should remember the limitations of this unlocking method and its features.
First. Face ID only works in portrait orientation
Only the new iPad Pro tablets are able to recognize the user’s face in both vertical and horizontal orientation of the gadget. To trigger the sensor on the iPhone, you need to keep it as level as possible. Minimal lateral deviations are possible, but with strong ones the sensor may not work.
This also applies to unlocking the iPhone lying on the table. The device needs to be raised, directing the screen towards you, and not trying to look from above, exposing the chin and lower part of the face.
Second. Face ID sensor doesn’t work when hit by light
Strong lighting or direct sunlight striking the sensor from behind the user’s head may prevent the scanner from correctly recognizing a face. This is possible when light hits the screen at a certain angle.
Third. Face ID can sometimes just turn off
This happens for security reasons in a number of predefined scenarios. For example, if the face is incorrectly read five times in a row, when you restart your smartphone or activate SOS mode.
If the iPhone has been left unlocked for too long or Lost Mode has been activated on it, the scanner will also be turned off.
Face ID will work immediately after unlocking iPhone with a password.
Fourth. The scanner needs to see the user’s eyes, nose and mouth
It is on these main points that a complex lita mask is built, which serves as a key for unlocking. All kinds of accessories can cause the gadget to work poorly.
If all else fails, how to reset Face ID?
If the iPhone has become very often mistaken when recognizing a face, requires entering a digital password and practically does not recognize you, you need to try the graying:
And still. Can Face ID just break?
Yes, just like any other module in the iPhone. Usually, owners of a failed scanner see a similar error.
Unfortunately, repairs will be very costly. The Face ID module, like Touch ID, is tied to the motherboard at the software level and will not work when the unit is replaced with a similar one.
It is necessary to change the bundle from the motherboard and the sensor, which is almost comparable in cost to buying a new gadget.
In this case, Face ID breaks down most often due to mechanical damage or moisture ingress. Neither one nor the other is covered by the warranty.
Be careful and accurate with your iPhone.
What to do when Face ID is not available
Contact the Apple Store for warranty. And this, in my opinion, is the best way out of this situation. Unfortunately, it is only suitable for iPhones that are still under warranty (usually 1 year). You can check the duration of the warranty by the serial number of the iPhone here on this page.
If your city does not have an official Apple Store or an authorized Apple service representative, the iPhone can always be sent by mail. To do this, you need to contact support (by phone or via chat) and agree to send the device.
What’s more, Apple will provide you with packaging materials and pay for round trip shipping (this should work in most civilized countries).
This is exactly what I did with my iPhone X, which stopped working with Face ID. A friend of mine helped me get in touch with people who provide services for the delivery of defective iPhones from Ukraine to Warsaw. Because the phone is still on the way, I don’t know how it will end. As soon as something becomes clear, I will definitely update the information in this article.
Contact your local workshop. This is a lottery. The problem with unavailable Face ID is not yet well understood. All that general craftsmen can do is check the cables and all internal connectors. If they start swapping modules or individual Face ID sensors, things could get worse. This is usually the case.
Chinese craftsmen have found that the main components of Face ID (IR camera, dot projector and IR emitter) are unique to each iPhone, because tied to a specific motherboard.
From this it follows that the usual repair on the knee is unlikely to work here.
Physical malfunction of Face ID
What exactly could go wrong with Face ID? And here is already HZ. To create a three-dimensional model of your face, the TrueDepth system is used, which consists of sensors and emitters (point projector, IR camera, IR emitter). It is difficult to say what exactly failed on impact.
I’ve searched through many forums and articles about Face ID not working on iPhone X, but I haven’t found a concrete answer yet.
It was possible to find only scraps of information that hint in which direction to dig at all. It turns out the TrueDepth camera is somehow connected to the telephoto lens (the one on the bottom) of the rear camera.
Apple even updated its Face ID troubleshooting routine for Genius Bar employees, where it clearly stated “The first step in troubleshooting Face ID is to try to replace the rear camera module.” If this does not help, the iPhone is replaced with a new one. Even Apple gives up.
From my personal observations of my iPhone X with a faulty Face ID, I can note the following:
- Camera apps take 3-4 times longer to load than usual
- The rear camera works seamlessly. And both lenses. All functions (portrait, slow-mo, etc.) work.
- The front camera works, but Portrait mode no longer blurs the background. Apparently Face ID sensors are involved in determining the contour of your body.
- During a FaceTime call, the front camera does not turn on and the message “Camera is being used by another application” appears on the screen.
- The flashlight (the one built into the rear camera module) now lives its own life. In most cases, it will not turn on when asked. But it can make an exception and light up
The above makes me think that perhaps the problem really lies in the rear camera module. Maybe the plume has moved away slightly, or something has broken off inside the camera itself.
All other phone functions are working properly.
Face ID software problems
If you did not drop or chop nuts with your iPhone, then the problem may be related to the software. We all know that software is designed to freeze and fail. If this is your case (and even if not yours) try the following steps:
- STEP 1. Go to Settings. Face ID & Passcode. Reset Face ID
- STEP 2. Hard restart your iPhone by pressing Volume down one by one. Volume. then press and hold the Side button until the screen turns off.
After your device restarts, try setting up Face ID.
If Face ID became unavailable after installing an iOS update, most likely the firmware is “crooked”. The most correct solution would be to connect your phone to your computer and restore it via iTunes with the latest version of iOS installed. If you need instructions, see here.
Unfortunately, in my case, these manipulations did not help, as well as Reset All Settings and Soft Restart. But it should be clear to a hedgehog that after the fall / impact, something inside the iPhone is out of order.
Dropped iPhone X. Face ID is no longer available [Solution]
For a long time I was trying to write an article where I would describe possible problems with Face ID on the iPhone X, XS, XR and their possible solutions. But somehow everyone lacked the experience and desire to seek information. And today, without expecting it, I faced this problem “face to face”. Surprisingly, this word turn has a double meaning here.
Today for the first time I saw on the screen of my iPhone the following message “Failed to activate Face ID on this iPhone”, and when I tried to re-configure everything. “The Face ID function is not available”. It’s a shame, damn it! But let’s talk about everything in order
Why Face ID failed
So, how did my iPhone come to such a life that it doesn’t want to see me now? Everything to the point of being banal is simple. this morning I was fed up with a ladder. Sorry, but another word is hardly suitable here. At the same time, the phone was in the right of his pants.
I landed successfully on the stairs but without fractures. I got off with a couple of solid bruises below the elbow and above the knee well, Face ID ordered to live long.
Apparently, during the 2-second flight, the iPhone hit the stairs, which slid out from under me. Although there is no damage on it, and in the case I always had it.
But the result is still sad. now every time I want to set up Face ID, the message “Face ID is not available Try to set up Face ID later” appears on the iPhone screen.
What conclusion can we make? If you unsuccessfully drop or hit your iPhone X, there’s a good chance Face ID will simply stop working. Why this happens. we will discuss below.
Face ID not available still!
Of course, without Face ID, the iPhone X does not “turn into a pumpkin”, but it is no longer so convenient to use it. Every time you pick up your iPhone, you have to enter a numeric password. And in the online banking application, you also have to remember passwords. But remember. THIS IS NOT THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IN LIFE!
You can still use such a device. Alternatively, you can sell this iPhone at a “sweet price” and buy yourself a new XS.
I, in turn, thank God for taking money, not health. The main thing is that the arms and legs are intact.
Write in the comments what led to the breakdown of Face ID in your situation. Share your repair experience, even if it was unsuccessful. I hope that soon an UPDATE will be added to the article with the result of repairing my iPhone X.
UPDATE My phone was delivered to Warsaw Apple Store. This is done by people who make money on it. The price of the issue is about 30-40. The most important thing at this point is that the iPhone has been successfully adopted by a tech worker. Apple support. This means that back I have to get a fully working iPhone.
iPhone X Face ID Not Working Repair | Move iPhone a Little Lower/Higher
At the same time, I want to remind you that I did NOT send either a check or a box with the phone. Actually, I never had a check. A little more than a month has passed since the dispatch.
UPDATE According to the latest data, the phone has been replaced with a new one. So Apple could not fix the problem with Face ID.
UPDATE After 2 months, I received a completely new iPhone X with exactly the same parameters as the previous device (the iPhone serial number naturally changed). The phone came in a film, wrapped in a soft envelope, without any accessories. The phone had a paper from iSpot (Apple’s official distributor in Poland).
Finally, I’m back with the iPhone. I won’t say that 2 months with the Galaxy Note 8 was a torment, but the iPhone is somehow more pleasant to use.
The experience gained above suggests that sometimes even Apple cannot fix a problem with Face ID, namely the state of the phone when “Face ID is not available”. This is why they just change your broken phone to a new device.
If you find yourself in a similar situation, contact an authorized Apple representative and if everything is OK, your device will also be replaced.
Take off glasses
Face ID is designed to work with many glasses, according to Apple. However, if you wear glasses that block certain types of light, the infrared camera can make it difficult to recognize your face. To avoid this, remove your sunglasses or contact lenses,
What to do on iPhone X Face ID has stopped working
IPhone X users worldwide reported Face ID scanner not working after system update. Error messages appeared after iOS 11.2 update. According to Apple, the probability of a proprietary biometric sensor error is 1: 1,000,000. However, iPhone X users have often complained about system issues. In this article, we list the top five Face ID problems and how to fix them.
Reset Face ID
If you find the iPhone X is not working and you cannot use it for anything like unlocking, shopping, etc. You can try resetting Face ID. It will delete all existing face data and set up a new face id. Go to Settings Face ID Password Reset Face ID.
First you need to check
The TrueDepth camera is uncovered.
Your face including eyes, nose, mouth is directly facing TrueDepth Camera without any block.
Hold 10-20 inches between iPhone X and your face for clear recognition.
Do not use Face ID under lighting when you are outside in bright sunlight.
iPhone X won’t unlock
Face ID, which was first adopted in the iPhone X, seems to have a lot of recognition problems, just like what happened with Touch ID a few years ago. People have reported that the Face ID of the iPhone X cannot recognize their face after that. how did they set the face id.
IPhone X Face ID Not Working
Face ID. the most attractive feature of the iPhone X, which allows you to unlock your iPhone without entering a password, use Apple pay and buy from the App Store, iTunes Store and iBooks, etc. However, some users claim that Face ID cannot unlock apps and the iPhone X is completely unresponsive when faced with the owner’s face.