Laptop black screen does not boot
Reasons for a black screen when turning on the laptop
There can be many reasons for a black screen when turning on a laptop, but there is a basic list that occurs most often:
Battery failure and power problems (poor contact at the outlet, etc.)
Incorrect hardware settings (for example, unsuccessful overclocking)
RAM failure (board damage)
Damage to the video card or malfunction of the loop
Damage to the screen matrix or motherboard
Unfortunately, it is quite difficult for an ordinary user to cope with the latter two at home, since it is SIMply difficult to conduct an independent diagnosis. Therefore, within the framework of this article, I will consider solving problems with the first three points.
Laptop does not turn on. black screen
If you are faced with a problem that the laptop does not turn on or only a black screen is visible, then do not rush to get upset. It is possible that the problem is being solved at home on their own. Starting from the fact that the laptop battery could be trivial, or the contact on the outlet came off, and ending with the fact that incorrect hardware settings were exposed and it is enough to reset them. But first things first.
Note: Since it is more difficult to retrieve information from a laptop than from a computer, I strongly recommend that you think about backing up your data. After all, it is always better to prevent a problem than to waste time and effort on solving it later.
Eliminating power problems and incorrect hardware settings
The first step is to make sure you don’t have a power problem. To do this, first connect any electrical appliance to the outlet and make sure that electricity is supplied to the outlet, then check the contacts of the laptop, it is quite possible that the wire is damaged from frequent bends, or the plug is SIMply not tight. You can also connect your laptop to other sockets.
Now, you need to make sure that the battery itself is working. To do this, connect the laptop to the mains and wait a while for the battery to charge at least a little. Then try turning on the laptop again. If after these steps the computer turns on normally, then most likely the problem is in the battery, for example, it quickly sits down and does not hold a charge.
If these steps did not help, then you need to reset the hardware settings and here’s how to do it:
Unplug the laptop and remove the battery
Hold down the power button for 30-40 seconds to completely drain the laptop, which will reset the hardware settings
Put everything back in and turn on the laptop
If the problem was in the hardware settings, then after that everything should be fine with the screen. If the screen is still black, then you need to make sure that there are no problems at the physical level (the screen matrix flew, the cable is damaged, and so on).
Checking the health of the screen
If the laptop turns on (the fan is noisy, the lights are blinking, the backlight of the function keys comes on, etc.), but the screen is black, then you need to check the health of the monitor itself and the connecting parts.
To do this, take and connect any external monitor to your laptop. If, after turning on, a splash screen appears on the monitor and you see that the computer is booting, then there are problems with the hardware. But, do not rush to lament, it is quite possible that the reason for this is unsuccessfully set BIOS settings. Therefore, use the article how to reset BIOS settings to factory defaults using the same external monitor. After that, check the health of the screen when you turn on the laptop, having previously disconnected the external monitor.
Note: If you do not have a monitor, you can use the same instructions to reset the settings, but you will have to type the keys blindly. To be on the safe side, I strongly recommend that you find the documentation for your laptop or find instructions on the Internet for your laptop model.
Installing a RAM plate
A black screen when the laptop is turned on may also be the result of a malfunction of the RAM plate. This sometimes happens when the bottom of the laptop was on a surface with spilled water (tea, coffee, etc.). In this case, it can cause damage to the memory plate (for example, poor contact). But, before continuing, I warn you that if you are not particularly friendly with tools and equipment, then it is better not to do this method yourself.
Here is the instruction itself
Power off the laptop and remove the battery. Then wait a few minutes for the residual charge to subside
Unscrew the cover of the compartment where the RAM is located. If the design of the laptop does not have such a compartment, then you will have to completely remove the lower panel of the laptop. I draw your attention to the fact that the bolts themselves are very small and can easily roll off somewhere. Therefore, prepare a saucer or other container with edges in advance, where you should place the bolts
Find a memory stick. Fold back the latches on the sides that hold it. Then remove the memory module.
Now you need to purge the connectors. It is also advisable to clean the compartment with an alcohol solution to remove liquid residues (coffee and tea). Do the same with the memory stick.
Reinsert the RAM module carefully. To do this, insert it into the connector at an angle of 45 degrees, and then lower and fix.
Close the cover and screw back the bolts
Try turning on the laptop
If the problem disappeared, then the problem was in the plate. If not, then you can also try to connect another suitable plate. Unfortunately, in other cases, it is very difficult to do something at home.
The monitor stopped starting due to viruses
Your screen still won’t launch? Then it is possible that your computer is infected with pests. In this case, you need to scan with your installed antivirus. If not, then we use the one-time Dr.Web cureit. Didn’t you find any pests? In this case, you need to repair Windows or reinstall it.
So, in BR you can reconfigure the laptop:
- We turn on the device;
- Reboot the OS and enter the “Control Panel”;
- The panel loads the OS;
- Then, the “Advanced system settings” window will open;
- Then, run “Advanced”, then “Startup and Recovery”;
- After that, go to the parameters and remove the check mark from the “Restart automatically” command. Then you need to save the tinctures.
This operation makes it possible when you turn on the computer again and the error “0x000000000 NO_DEVUCE_BOOT” appears on the display. How to fix this failure is described in detail on the Microsoft website.
Let’s analyze the functioning of the monitor
You have a reason to think that the monitor is not working due to mechanical problems, in this case you need to find out how the video card works with the motherboard.
So, let’s connect a second display to the laptop using the HDMI input (VGA is possible). We turn on the computer. If after turning on the second first screen is working, then the monitor or backlight loop on the monitor is faulty.
Further, we will carry out all operations to remove failures and errors in the settings and various programs with a faulty display using a second monitor (you need to borrow it from friends for a while) by connecting the monitor via the VGA / HDMI input.
Solving BIOS-related tasks
If we reset the settings in the BIOS, then this action can help you if, before this reset was carried out, the user in the BIOS performed certain actions.
So, let’s use the keyboard to reset:
- Immediately after the laptop has booted, you need to press the DEL button;
- We will reset the settings with the F9 key;
- Save the configuration with the F10 button;
- We just have to restart our PC.
When you do not have time to press one of these buttons and carry out these actions as quickly as possible, the BIOS settings may not change. And the computer screen will remain black because of this. In other cases, remove the CMOS (a small battery on the motherboard), in which the BIOS settings are saved, including when the PC is turned off.
How to remove an error in BR?
Even after loading the computer into the BR, your laptop still loads automatically? In this case, you need to do “Windows Recovery”. To do this, Windows needs to select a version of the system, to which it is easy to return: make the choice of the date at which the screen worked perfectly.
In the event that you managed to launch the OS and the screen started working, then it is advisable to start updating the video card drivers and BIOS. Even with a perfectly working monitor, it is advisable to update the drivers periodically, about once every 30 days. It will be easier for you if your PC updates them automatically.
Getting started troubleshooting
So, before our actions with the laptop, it is advisable to reset the hardware settings of the device. With a high percentage of probability, this can help you remove the black screen:
- Turn off the minicomputer and remove the cord from the socket;
- Then, take out the battery from the device;
- Press the power button for 25 seconds;
- Next, you need to insert the battery back into the computer;
- We connect the charging;
- Then, turn the laptop back on.
After you reset your hardware settings, if your PC starts to boot, it will ask you what type of OS to boot. Select “Normal Windows Startup”.
Also, this screen may appear due to BIOS issues. The BIOS is also easy to reset. So, you updated its drivers and reset the settings, but they did not help you. In this case, you need to disassemble the laptop.
Top Factors That Cause Black Screen
There are dozens of factors due to which such a screen appears. From here, to make it more convenient, we will divide them into categories:
- The hardware of the computer is incorrectly configured;
- There is a malfunction in the battery or charging;
- The monitor cable is cut off, the backlight or matrix is out of order;
- The computer’s RAM or the slot of this board is out of order;
- The video card is out of order;
- The system board is damaged due to overheating or damage.
Of course, not all of these malfunctions are eliminated by the user himself. For some problems, only the master is competent. Therefore, let’s take a look at which of these tasks a person can fix on their own. One of the most common problems is video card failure. To find out if the screen is working, the fastest way is to connect a second external screen. Does it not function for you either? In this case, the fault lies with the video card.
It is impossible to change various details in a laptop without having the necessary knowledge. In this case, you need to contact a professional. Of course, you can start repairing your laptop yourself. But, the matter can go so far that you cause more damage to the computer than it was before your repair. The only way out in this case is to buy a new monitor.
You need to install a working BIOS version
If your second screen works fine, but your computer screen refuses to work, also disabling the settings and returning to the factory BIOS settings could not help, in this case it is advisable to reflash the BIOS.
It is possible to update the BIOS in different ways:
- Using the “MS-DOS” option;
- Using the OS;
- Without entering DOS and starting the computer.
The easiest way to update the BIOS is to use third-party software. But, it is more correct to manually go to the main resource of the creators of your motherboard and SIMply download updates from this site.
The main thing is to create a backup copy of the OS or at least a restore point before installing the BIOS. When you start installing BIOS without an access point, your system may crash and you will lose all settings.
How to boot a laptop into Safe Mode?
Quite often, the laptop reboots after turning it on and the PC screen SIMply does not have time to boot normally. In this case, it is advisable to download it in safe mode:
- Before loading the device, you need to enter another boot method. the F8 button (sometimes the DEL button or other buttons of the F row are suitable for different models). It is best to look at the instructions for the motherboard;
- In safe mode, you need to choose one of 3 boot options;
- Then, we enter the OS in this mode;
- Also, you can enter the system in BR in other ways. For example, through the command line “cmd” and “msconfig”. These applications are launched if you enter these labels through the “Start” search.
Why a black screen on a laptop and it won’t turn on
Almost every second Windows user is faced with a problem when the laptop does not turn on and at the same time only have to contemplate a black screen. We can say that this is almost the most common breakdown.
However, everything may not be so serious and perhaps there is no need to run to the service center for help. First of all, you need to figure out the causes of the malfunction yourself. Perhaps you can fix the problem with your own hands, without contacting specialists.
What to do if the laptop turns on for a long time and a black screen appears
Black screen and laptop take a long time to turn on? This may not necessarily be due to part breakage. First, you should remember all the latest machinations done with the device.
If the device has worked intensively for a long time, then it is most likely overheating. In this case, the laptop needs to be repaired by a qualified technician. Perhaps new programs or games were installed before that. After that, a reboot was performed, but the laptop did not turn on, then these may be Windows errors.
If the laptop does not turn on when using only one battery. Perhaps he is just discharged and there is no point in panicking. If the charge is in full order, then it is worth connecting the computer to the network.
After the device was connected to the network, it turned on without any problems, then the problem lies in the battery.
Perhaps it needs to be replaced with a new one. But if the computer still does not work, you need to check whether all the plugs are in place and whether they come off. The wire may have been pinched or broken somewhere.
It is recommended to check if the outlet has voltage. Each laptop has a special light that signals the battery charge and connection to the network. If all lights are on and the device still won’t turn on, the problem might be something else.
It could also be a problem with the hardware settings of the device. In this case, it is not necessary to contact a specialist. The basic steps to fix this problem can be done with your own hands without anyone’s help. To do this, you must reset the hardware settings. The following guidelines will help you cope with this task.
Resetting hardware settings
What if you need to reset all hardware settings? For this:
the user must disconnect the laptop from the power source;
pull out the charger from the socket;
then press and hold the power (power on) key of the device for 20 seconds;
then you need to insert the battery in place or connect the power system;
turn on the laptop;
after that, select the item “Normal Windows startup”;
If these actions did not help to solve this problem, it is worth moving on to the next point.
Reasons for malfunction
The reasons why the user cannot turn on the laptop can be divided into several categories. Among them:
the device could overheat, the result of this could be damage to the south or north bridges;
problems with the video card or processor;
the battery could fail, but this happens quite rarely;
the problem is in the hardware settings of the computer;
In the last two cases, you can deal with the disorder yourself at home.
One or another part can fail and stop performing its functions due to:
careless handling of equipment;
ingress of moisture and various debris into the system.
Screen health check
If the laptop does not turn on the first time, and the screen is black, perhaps the whole problem lies in the screen itself. To find out for sure, you need to check the health of the computer screen.
This recommendation should be used only if the power key was pressed and after that the laptop began to show signs of life. I.e:
the hard disk started working;
cooler noise is heard;
However, the image did not appear, then an additional monitor should be connected to the laptop. As a rule, all laptops have a special connector so that you can connect another one. If after rebooting the device the operating system is loaded, then the problem lies in the screen.
In this case, you should contact the service center and consult with specialists.
Maybe the black screen problem appeared immediately after the user made some changes to the basic BIOS settings. In such a situation, it is necessary to reset these same settings and return to the factory settings, that is, the original.
To complete this task, you must adhere to the following instructions:
as soon as the laptop was turned on, immediately press the F10 button and hold it for at least 10 seconds;
then the BIOS itself should open;
after which, you should press the F9 key;
then click Enter (these actions will help you return to the original settings);
the next step is to press the F10 button again;
to save the new settings, you must click Enter;
then you should reboot the device.
If the computer works as before after restarting, then all problems have been fixed. However, if these frauds did not bring a positive result, it is recommended to proceed to the next step.
The image on the display may not appear due to problems with contacts, as well as due to a malfunction of the memory module.
In this case, this problem can be solved by:
removing the RAM module from the laptop;
after which, it is recommended to purge the connectors in order to get rid of blockages.
If there is only one RAM strip and at the same time there are several free connectors available for it, you can change its connection place.
Before you start extracting RAM, you need to read the detailed instructions and strictly adhere to these recommendations.
Instructions for extracting RAM:
before you start working on disassembling the device, you must first disconnect it from the power source;
the next step is to unscrew the bolts that hold the cover of the compartment where the RAM is located;
if there is no separate compartment, you will need to remove the back cover of the laptop (it is recommended to do this carefully so as not to damage the device);
RAM is attached with latches on one side and the other, they must be bent;
only after that you can take out the RAM;
also do not forget about purging the connectors;
then you can swap them (if available);
then you can insert the memory module back;
the next step is assembling the laptop;
after which, it is worth putting the battery in place;
There are unpleasant cases when these machinations are not able to give the proper result. In this case, the last way out may be to reinstall the BIOS.
To cope with this task you need:
get to the manufacturer’s Internet portal;
go to the section with drivers;
enter the laptop model without errors in the search window;
find and download the (latest) BIOS version.
The downloaded archive should contain detailed instructions. Following it, you can reinstall the BIOS.
In addition, the user should take into account that these reinstallation steps are only necessary as a last resort. To begin with, the most correct thing would be to contact a service center and rely on the professionalism of specialists. After all, the problem with turning on the computer may not be in the BIOS at all, but in the video card or other details. In this case, the reasons can be very different.
These recommendations will help solve the problem of turning on the laptop and the appearance of a black screen if the breakdown is not technical in nature, but the hardware settings are to blame. At the same time, you can save your time and money on trips and maintenance in expensive service centers. Since this breakdown cannot be called serious and you can cope with it yourself, without having the appropriate skills. m
Reasons why the screen remains black when you turn on the laptop
There are several reasons why you see a black screen instead of the desktop:
- Video card problem.
- Damage to the motherboard due to overheating of the device.
- Faulty loop or screen matrix.
- Battery failure.
- RAM failure.
- Incorrect hardware settings.
The last three problems can be dealt with at home; it is difficult to diagnose physical malfunction of laptop components on your own, so you have to contact a service center.
When you turn on the laptop, the screen is black. Reasons and what to do
In this article, we will give an answer to the question why, when you turn on (boot, start) a laptop, a black screen and what to do for you in a SIMilar situation. If it still beeps, then you will find the answer in the article Why the laptop beeps when turned on.
The laptop does not boot because black screen, or starts up, makes noise but the screen does not turn on. the situation is not the most pleasant, moreover, it requires an immediate solution to the problem. This problem is widespread and often requires professional intervention. one of the laptop components is damaged and it needs to be repaired using special equipment.
7 (812) 953-94-11, 7 (921) 984-75-12 (Kamennoostrovsky pr-t, 42, metro Petrogradskaya)
|General table of for laptop repair |
(without reference to a specific model)
|Troubleshooting||IS FREE||15 minutes to 2 days||–|
|Replacing the matrix laptop 15.6 “||4500 to 10000||15 minutes to 2 days||Up to 90 days|
|Replacing the laptop matrix 10.1 “||From 3500||15 minutes to 3 days||Up to 90 days|
|Reballing or replacing the video chip (the problem is with the video card, there is no image)||From 5500. 7500||1 to 10 days||Up to 90 days|
|No backlighting of the screen (it will probably require repair or replacement of the inverter)||1500 to 3500||1 to 7 days||Up to 45 days|
|Moisture has got under the cabinet (cleaning or replacing components)||1500 to 6500||2 to 7 days||Up to 60 days|
|Replacing the hard drive (laptop won’t boot)||4500-5500||1 to 2 days||Up to 90 days|
|Reinstall Windows / Mac OS / Drivers (laptop buggy)||1500||1 hour to 2 days||Up to 30 days|
|Please note: the table shows general for laptop repair without reference to any model or manufacturer. details can be obtained from the employees of our service center.|
If when you press the power button, the screen remains black, but you can hear that the cooling system is working and you can see other signs of turning on the laptop, then try to connect an external monitor to it.
If a picture appears on the external monitor when the laptop is turned on, then the problem clearly lies in the laptop screen. Perhaps his matrix or loop is damaged, but you can hardly diagnose this yourself. But before you seek qualified help, try two more ways to fix the problem described below.
If you updated the BIOS or changed its settings before the problem appeared, then you need to roll back all changes. To do this, it is better to use an external monitor if it has an image on it:
- Turn on the laptop by connecting an external monitor to it.
- Go to BIOS (Delete or F2 key at startup).
- Press F9 or on the “Exit” tab select “Load Setup Defaults”.
In principle, these actions can be performed blindly, because all commands in the BIOS are entered from the keyboard, without the involvement of the mouse. After BIOS reset, disconnect external monitor and check if screen works.
Troubleshooting the problem yourself
Attention! We are not responsible for your actions. This article is for informational purposes only and does not call for action.
The first step is to make sure the laptop is charged and the battery is working properly. We connect the laptop to the network (if it was running on battery power), wait a little, and then try to turn it on again. If this time the screen lights up, then the problem most likely lies in the battery. Disconnect the laptop from the mains and try to turn it on from the battery again to make sure that the problem is correctly identified.
If the laptop does not work either from the mains or from the battery, try resetting the hardware settings:
- Disconnecting the laptop from the outlet.
- We take out the battery from the device. In most modern laptops, removing the battery requires disassembling the case, which requires special tools and knowledge. Better with a SIMilar turn to professionals.
- Press the power key and hold it for about 20 seconds to remove the residual charge and reset the hardware settings.
- Put the battery back in place and try to turn on the laptop.
If these actions did not help to solve the problem and the screen remains black, then you need to check the physical health of the display.
Reinstalling the RAM module
Another reason for a black screen is a faulty RAM module. This is especially true for a situation when liquid got on the laptop, after which it stopped turning on.
Important: the described actions are not recommended to be performed on your own if you do not have relevant experience.
- Unplug the laptop and remove the battery.
- Remove the bolts that secure the RAM cover. If there is no compartment, then you will have to remove the back panel of the laptop.
- Locate the RAM board and gently remove it by bending the latches to the sides.
If none of the described methods helped to deal with the black screen when you turn on the laptop, then the best solution would be to contact specialists who can correctly diagnose the cause of the problem and quickly fix it.
What to do. the laptop turns on, but the screen is black?
The matter lies in the following reasons:
- Have you recently switched your laptop to an external monitor with the original one turned off? Check if “dimming” is turned off by a couple of buttons.
- “Clogging” of the hard drive with unnecessary and non-working files, lack of cleaning and optimization. Clean up your hard drive and registry. After removing the junk and rebooting, an image will appear and the device’s performance will improve.
- All indicators are on, judging by the sounds, ventilation is working, and loading is in progress. Only the display does not show signs of life. defective video card or matrix. No picture when connecting an external monitor? Exactly. a breakdown of the video card. Few users can handle its replacement, call the workshop.
- Problems in the monitor cable and its connectors. Check the connections and the loop itself, reconnect.
- Could jam the shutdown button on the screen. Happens from damage or liquid ingress. Older laptops have it on the front panel. It is more difficult with the newer ones, here the button is in the turning mechanism. Laptops are disassembled to repair it.
- The backlight lamp is faulty or its inverter (transformer) burned out. In this case, there are first image distortions, along the edges of the monitor or completely. The display in such cases may be white or gray. The backlight is working, but the screen is black. a malfunction in the matrix or its connection. Unsuitable lamps are changed in workshops. It’s the same with the transformer, yes, sometimes it needs to be restored. They inject transformer oil, etc., with a syringe, constantly disassembling the PC. Easier and more profitable replacement.
Typical causes of failure
- Power failure, battery, charging, or mains problem. For example, when the battery power is critically low, the laptop may turn off.
- Failure of the display, loop, backlight lamps
- Overheating, abrupt shutdown of laptops by protection, failure of the south or north bridges. Cooler problems, clogged ventilation
- Windows errors
- Incorrect system and BIOS settings
- Excessive amount of software, games, “heavy” programs, especially those infected with viruses. This causes errors in the OS.
- RAM or CPU issue
- Lost contact in the slots of the device modules. It turns out due to shaking, mechanical damage, dust inside the computer case
- Liquid spills, drops, shocks and carelessness.
- Individual malfunctions. Depends on design features, manufacturers and models (see PC manual).
Black screen on laptop. what to do?
- Battery recovery
- Power supply repair
- Cleaning from dust and dirt
- Laptop makes noise
- Battery does not charge
- Laptop screen replacement
- Black screen on laptop
- Laptop power problems
- Why does the laptop restart itself
- Laptop won’t turn on
- HDMI port not working on laptop?
- Laptop keyboard not working
- Laptop turns off frequently?
- The laptop heats up and shuts down
- The laptop does not see the Wi-Fi network?
- Laptop imaging problems
Laptop won’t turn on or do you see a “black screen”? First, there is no need to worry and rush to see a specialist. Most often, you can fix the cause yourself. Homemade recipes will not work, then contact the service center. Replacement of the matrix and other complex components is done only there. Yes, and minor repairs, soldering parts, if you are not a radio amateur or a computer technician, be sure to visit the workshop. We have everything you need to eliminate the “black screen” and other laptop breakdowns.
How to deal with problems yourself?
It is quite possible to restore the PC on your own. If the work concerns hardware settings or an easy change of modules (when they are not soldered). For a rough diagnosis, use the above list of causes of failure. Consider safe and effective ways to troubleshoot problems:
Connect your laptop to the network, it is probably just dead. See battery status. No effect? We inspect the connection along the circuit: outlet, charger, computer. Disconnect and wiggle the plugs.
Use a different monitor, does an image appear? Then you can try to fix the screen problem. Review the system settings, it is better to return them to basic. As a last resort (if you have the skills), try to disconnect the matrix cable, check and clean the contacts. The loop is damaged. to mount a new one, it is useless to repair. If all else fails, the matrix is most likely faulty. Then you cannot avoid the help of a specialist.
PC worked long and hard? Overheating possible, let it cool well. The ventilation openings must not be obstructed. Did you hear the noise of the cooler, hot air? If the ventilation is out of order, the computer turns off automatically. Parts can suffer from severe overheating, the south bridge often burns out. Replace thermal grease and purchase a cooling pad.
Rollback or reinstallation of the OS helps (only the display does not work). In this case, errors and settings are reset. For a start, you can limit yourself to returning to a restore point (when everything was fine). Does not work. reset completely (if there is an OBC on a flash drive or disk).
- Disconnecting your computer from an electrical outlet.
- Remove the battery.
- Press the power button for 30-60 seconds (charge reset)
Resetting BIOS to factory settings.
- Turn on, press the Del and F2. F12 keys
- In the menu, click on Load BIOS Setup Defaolts or Load Safe-Fail Defaolts.
- Reboot, done.
BIOS reinstallation helps. The order is:
- Download the installation file from the manufacturer’s website
- You need to enter model and OS data in the support section so that there is no error
- Before installation, make sure the battery is charged and the power supply is connected. Power cut during BIOS setup kills laptops. We are waiting for the end of the process.
Inspect installed software and games. Probably, the reason for the problems is precisely in them, remove unnecessary and problematic programs and games. It is more convenient to do this with SIMple utilities like Glari Utilities and CCleaner.
Removing the RAM module with cleaning the connectors helps to light the screen.
- Disconnect the power, remove the battery
- Next, unscrew the separate RAM cover or remove the laptop cover
- We slowly bend the fasteners, take out the modules. Use a thin, non-pointed object if no tool is available
- We clean slots
- There may be additional contacts, then it is better to insert the module strip into them at an angle of 45 °
- Further in reverse order
Clogging of connectors and ventilation occurs due to dust. The structure must be cleaned regularly, once every 1-2 years. In some modifications, the RAM may be soldered, then replacement only by the master.
Liquid spilled. Thorough drying is necessary, if there is a lot of moisture, remove the cover. Only after that, perform the above manipulations. Helps cleaning connectors, reinstalling the RAM bar.
The laptop suffered serious mechanical damage (impacts, falls from a height), is the case cracked? Better to contact the service center, there may be damage to the motherboard.
For any action, you must carefully read the user manual.
Devices of different types, models, firms have design and control features. The manual may contain descriptions of rare problems inherent only to this computer. If the problem is serious, you cannot fix the breakdown. stop there. Inappropriate intervention in equipment is more expensive than ordinary repairs in service centers.
Elimination. What to do if laptop won’t turn on. black screen?
Every third laptop owner is faced with a black screen at startup. There can be a lot of reasons that cause the problem, but before contacting a computer repair service, we recommend that you perform diagnostics yourself. We will talk about this below.
Reasons for malfunction
The reasons due to which the laptop screen does not work can be divided into several groups:
- Damage to the south or north bridge of the motherboard due to mechanical interference or overheating of the device.
- Malfunctions with the central processor or video card.
- Broken loop, laptop matrix or backlight.
- RAM crashed or fell out of the socket.
- Malfunctions in the hardware settings of the computer.
- The battery stopped working.
In the first three cases, repair or replacement of parts is required. You can try to eliminate the malfunctions described in the remaining paragraphs yourself.
If the laptop shows signs of life when turned on:
- Connect it to a 220V network, check if there is voltage (look at the laptop charge indication).
- There is an indication, but the laptop does not turn on. disconnect the charger from the laptop.
- Pull out the battery as shown in the figure.
- Clean clogged contacts.
- Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to remove the residual charge from the motherboard and laptop components.
- Connect the charger and turn on the device, check the screen operation. If it works, replace the battery and check it again. Laptop won’t turn on? We recommend replacing the battery.
- Connect monitor via VGA or HDMI outputs.
- Start your laptop and follow the process.
- If the BIOS and Windows boot was successful, there is a problem with the screen or its connection (perhaps a loop has come off).
Laptop users experiencing black screen issue have been helped by a way to reset BIOS to default. If the computer shows signs of life (coolers are working), connect it to a monitor or do the blind procedure:
- Turn on the device.
- After turning on, press the F10 key for 10 seconds (enter BIOS).
- A menu will open, wait and press F9.
- Press Enter (rollback to original settings).
- Press F10 (exit BIOS) /
- Press Enter to save changes, exit and restart your computer.
Checking RAM sticks
There is a possibility that the motherboard has stopped recognizing random access memory (RAM):
- Unplug the laptop and take out the charger, turn it over, remove the screws.
- Open the back cover.
- Gently push the latches apart to remove the RAM.
- Take out the OP strips and clean the contacts with an eraser.
- Change the connector (if there are several) or places of the OP.
- Insert the OP backwards at a 45% angle and press lightly from above. The clamps will do all the work themselves.
- Check the connection of other devices (hard drive or SSD bracket).
- Close the cover, plug in the device and check its operation.
If the advice of the article did not help you, we recommend that you contact the service center. Most likely the malfunction is in the hardware. Also write to us, maybe together we can find the problem.