The computer does not see the monitor what to do
Configuring the headphone inputs in the Realtek utility on the computer
If the drivers for the sound card work correctly, but the PC still does not see the headphones, we will adjust the sound for wired headphones on Windows 10.
We configure the inputs in the Realtek utility. It will appear after installing the drivers, in the tray for about hours. If the audio card is from another manufacturer, there must also be an application, the setting is the same. The procedure described in the screenshots is done so that the audio stream goes simultaneously to all input devices, and not only to the speakers (very often the computer sees the headphones as speakers when they are connected for the first time). The same applies to the microphone from the headphones (if it is connected via a separate plug).
How to FIX Computer No Display OR No Signal on Monitor
For me, for example, ordinary wired headphones are always defined as speakers. To be precise, they are not at all recognized by the computer as a device. The sound continues to go through the audio card (this is what the inscription “Realtek speakers” and the like in the list of audio devices means), and it “decides” which connector to send the signal to.
Updating drivers often fixes the problem when the laptop or PC does not see the headphones.
The easiest method: right-click on the desired device, in the “update driver” menu.
- You can update the driver by downloading it from the official website of the audio card manufacturer, or through the driver update program.
- If you have a Realtek chip (a standard sound card built into the motherboard), then the new driver versions can be downloaded here. If the manufacturer of the audio card is different, download it from their website. Downloaded, installed, rebooted the PC. everything is normal.
- There are interesting programs for automatic driver updates. For example IObit Driver Booster. Install the program, and then through it. the necessary drivers (sound, at least).
Setting up sound in Windows itself
If, after installing the drivers and setting up Realtek, the computer still does not see the headphones, then the wrong device for playing sound by default is probably selected in Windows.
In Windows 7 we go along the path: “Start”. “Control Panel”. “Hardware and Sound”. “Sound”. In Windows 10, you can open the context menu in the tray on the volume icon (right-click), “Open sound settings”, on the right. “Sound control panel”. Then we change the default device to headphones / speakers, you can try all the options in turn and check them.
Another possible reason why the computer / laptop does not see the headphones is that the sound in Windows is set to low volume or completely muted. We check by opening the volume control in the lower right corner of the clock. Pay special attention to “General” and “Sound”.
Determine the state of the audio output and drivers on the PC
Are the drivers installed and does the computer see the audio output? We define this in the “Audio Inputs and Audio Outputs” item in the Device Manager. We open it in this way, Windows 10:
Windows 7. Start. Control Panel. System and Security. Device Manager.
The laptop or computer does not see the headphones
The most common reason why your laptop or desktop computer does not see headphones (wired) when connected is an unconfigured driver (utility), or a missing or outdated sound driver.
Consider all the reasons why a stationary PC or laptop does not see headphones (wired), from the most popular to the least popular. We will consider, using the example of Windows 7 and Windows 10.
The instructions for connecting to a PC are relevant for all wired headphones:
- Headphone mini-jack (regular wired headphones).
- Forked mini-jack (headphones with microphone). A detailed connection of headphones with a microphone (with a bifurcated or combined mini-jack) is described in a separate instruction.
- And USB headphones. The only caveat is that USB headphones receive sound in digital form, they must be defined by the computer as a separate audio device, respectively, it must be selected as a sound output device, in addition, drivers must be installed. Most often, the necessary drivers for USB headphones to work are installed automatically when they are connected. Sometimes you need to install them yourself by downloading them from the manufacturer’s website. You may also need to install proprietary software, which can also be found on the official website.
Identifying a physical malfunction
If the computer stubbornly does not see the headphones, there may be a physical problem. Most likely you have a breakdown, if after the 3 previous points, the PC still does not see the wired headphones.
The best way to solve the problem at this stage is to contact the service center. Diagnostics and even replacement of the connector is not expensive at all. And you will save your nerves and time
For example, let’s consider the most common reasons why headphones do not connect to a PC, after software setup:
- Broken audio jack. It can be replaced, if the connector contacts are broken, re-solder them. Read more about fixing the entrance here. If you are not confident in your abilities, you should trust the professionals (service center).
- The sound card is out of order (burned out). This would be understandable at the stage of checking the device in the Task Manager. And the connectors would not work, and all.
- The headphone plug is broken. Easily check on your phone or other device. Solution: soldering or replacing the plug. Or take it to the service center.
- Other parts of the headphones are broken. From a broken wire to burnt out speakers. Initial check also on another device. Headphone repair solutions. here.
What really happens in this situation?
In 99% of cases it is not the monitor that does not see the computer, and the computer does not output a video signal to the monitor. He, in turn, tells you about this with the phrase “no signal” and goes into standby mode.
The fact that fans started spinning in the system unit does not mean that it turned on. When you press the power button, you start the power supply. He supplies voltage to the fans and they begin to rotate. The motherboard may not work in this case. In this case, the signal from the video card to the monitor will also be absent.
Why the monitor may not see the computer?
In terms of popularity among computer breakdowns, this situation occupies a leading position. It happens spontaneously. You turn off the computer, everything is as usual, and the very next day when you press the power button, the system unit seems to turn on, at least the fans are noisy, and instead of the usual logo of the operating system boot, the message “No signal” is displayed, after which it turns off. Many people have the mistaken impression that the monitor cannot be seen by the computer. In fact, everything is somewhat different.
What to do if there is no signal on the monitor?
The first step is to check the contact of the RAM with the motherboard, as well as to make a visual inspection of the motherboard for the presence of swollen capacitors.
One of the reasons is a swollen capacitor
To do this, turn off the computer, open the side cover of the system unit and pay attention to the RAM modules. It can be one or several. They are usually located in the upper right corner and look like this:
Pull up the white latches on the edges of the memory modules and remove their connectors. Next, wipe the contacts with an ordinary eraser and try to insert into the connectors one at a time until a characteristic click.
We inserted 1 module and try to start the computer. If there is no result, then try inserting another memory module into another slot (if there are several memory sticks).
Your task is to try to turn on the computer with different memory modules in different slots separately.
It is best to try to install a 100% working memory module, which can be asked from friends, since very often the reason for the missing video signal on the monitor is RAM.
Next, be sure to reset the BIOS. This is done by pulling out the battery for a few minutes from the motherboard or by closing a special jumper.
If there is no positive result, you need to try to remove the video card from the connector, also wipe the contacts on it with an eraser and insert it back. Ideally, try to insert a known working video card by borrowing it from a friend or neighbors, for example.
If the motherboard has a monitor output, then remove the video card from the connector and try to turn on the computer from the built-in video adapter.
The presence of a monitor connector on the back of the computer. the chance of having a built-in video card on the motherboard
The next step is to check the contacts of the power supply. This applies to both 24 pin connectors:
So also 4 (8) pins on the additional power supply of the processor:
Remove them from the connectors and check for any traces of charring.
It is very rare, but it also happens that in a similar situation, when the monitor does not see the computer, the power supply is the culprit. If possible, you should connect another known working power supply.
If none of the above helped you, then with a 90% probability the motherboard and / or processor failed, which in such a situation are not repaired, but must be replaced.
Plugs, cables, connectors
The first thing I would recommend to pay attention to. this is to check the condition of the cable, plug, connectors (adapters, if you use them). Look carefully at the surface of the cable: often, due to the frequent bends, you can find “breaks”, “twists”, etc. Even if the cable looks intact. in such places (inside the cable) copper veins could be damaged.
It will not be superfluous to test this cable with another device. will it work.
It would seem that such banal reasons, as it turns out, are the “culprits” in a third of cases in the absence of an image on the screen.
The connection / disconnection operation is not recommended to be performed in a “hot” (ie connect without turning off the devices) method.
What to do if Windows 10 won’t detect the second screen
The problem due to which the display does not want to turn on can occur regardless of the version of the operating system. There are several ways to eliminate it, which will be discussed below. Each method requires an individual approach and detailed consideration.
Windows does not see the second monitor. why and what to do?
If you connected a second monitor or TV to your laptop or computer via HDMI, Display Port, VGA or DVI, usually everything works right away without the need for any additional settings (except for selecting the display mode on two monitors). However, it sometimes happens that Windows does not see the second monitor and it is not always clear why this is happening and how to fix the situation.
This manual details why the system may not see the second connected monitor, TV or other screen and possible ways to fix the problem. The following assumes that both monitors are guaranteed to work.
What to do if HDMI and DisplayPort Problems began to appear
Almost all modern video cards are equipped with these connectors. These ports are designed to output a digital signal, that is, an image to a monitor. If there is no image on the second display connected to the PC, then the user is advised to do the following:
- Move the HDMI cable to the adjacent connector on the video card. The video adapter has multiple HDMI ports. Therefore, the cable can be easily rearranged into another connector and check if there is a picture on the screen. Perhaps one of the ports went out, which was the reason for the absence of an image on the monitor.
- Do the same with DisplayPort.
- Disable the use of the connector integrated into the motherboard in BIOS. This circumstance is relevant if there is no picture, both on the first and on the second monitor. It is possible that only integrated graphics are set in the BIOS and the ports of the video card are disabled, not used.
- Inspect HDMI and DisplayPort connectors. If they show chips and scratches, then such ports are most likely inoperative.
Important! If the above manipulations did not lead to a positive result, then it is worth trying another method of solving the problem.
2.2 In a nutshell about the differences between hibernation and sleep mode
In sleep mode (it works by default), the computer goes into a low power consumption mode, in case you need to be away for a short time and then resume working at the computer.
In this case, work in programs will remain in the same form and they will be open.
- In the event of a power outage, all data will be lost and nothing will be saved.
- Sometimes problems arise when the monitor does not turn on and the indicator blinks (the article is devoted to this topic).
Hibernation mode allows us to save all our data in RAM to the hard disk and return to the previous working mode after turning off the computer.
In simple words, we turn off the computer without closing programs and without saving anything. After turning on, the computer boots in the same state as it was (with open programs, etc.).
The computer boots up much faster (because of this, I use this mode all the time).
All data is retained when power off.
Usually, in this mode, there are no problems as with sleep mode (when the monitor does not turn on, etc.).
In general, it is up to you to decide which of this to use, but just for experience and possibly simplification of working at the computer, I recommend trying hibernation mode.
The computer does not see the second monitor. how to fix
If connecting the second monitor to the computer did not give any positive results, try simply restarting it. After that, move on to the next tips.
- Open Settings. System. Display and click Discover. Windows will try to find all screens connected to it and activate them. This advice is primarily relevant for older screens that do not support automatic detection.
Is the graphics card / motherboard ok??
Make sure the video output on the motherboard (for computers with integrated graphics) or video card is working. Connect your primary monitor (the one that most likely works and is recognized by the computer) to the port where you are trying to connect another monitor. Connecting a second monitor to another computer can also help determine the hardware malfunction of the computer.
Changing RAM strips in places
A banal rearrangement of memory modules sometimes also works. First, you need to repeat the first two steps from the previous section. Then. pull out the strips and swap them. If there are free slots, you can try to use them.
When assembling a PC from scratch or upgrading, you should pay attention to how much memory the motherboard supports maximum.
You can get this information and other useful information about the system using third-party software, such as AIDA64 or CPU-Z.
Another way to solve the problem. How to proceed, the table will tell you.
How to fix the situation
There are several ways to solve the problem: from changing the settings of the system and subsystem, to replacing components. as a last resort.
What to do if Windows does not see all the RAM: 4 reasons and solutions
It happens that in a laptop, a computer costs 16 gigabytes of RAM, and the OS recognizes only half. Why Windows does not see the entire amount of RAM, and what to do about it, this article suggests.
Checking the bitness of the OS
The bitness of the operating system affects how much RAM a laptop or computer sees. For example, some 32-bit Windows only see 3.2 gigabytes of memory maximum, no matter how many modules and how much the PC costs.
You can find out the bitness of Windows 7 version like this:
- Right-click on “My Computer”.
- Select “Properties” in the drop-down list. the required information is displayed there.
There is one more way: RMB on “Start” → “System”. Now it remains only to find the “system type” in the window that opens and see what bit depth the OS has.
Windows version has limitations
The point may be not only in the bitness of the OS, but also in its version. Home basic seven. home basic. recognizes only four gigabytes of RAM in 32-bit and a maximum of 8 gigabytes. in 64-bit version. But professional Windows 7 (x64) is capable of recognizing up to 192 GB of RAM. 64-bit versions 8 and 10 can “see” half a terabyte of RAM.
An operating system, for example, Windows 10 Home All Languages, may have a volume limit, so it does not see the entire operating system. How to remove it:
- In the search for Windows, type “System Configuration”.
- In the window that opens, go to the “Download” tab.
- Click on the section “Additional parameters”.
- Check that the checkbox for “Maximum memory” is not set.
PC “does not see” the second monitor: we check the video output
If your second monitor has different interfaces. check: is it possible to connect it, for example, via HDMI instead of VGA-connector. Alternatively, you can try using other available interfaces on your computer, or try to connect via a VGA-HDMI or DVI-HDMI adapter. The latter option is relevant if the monitor does not have an HDMI connector, but the PC does.
- Typically, computers are equipped with several video outputs: the most common are VGA, DVI, and HDMI. Try all of them using the appropriate cable types.
- Attention: you can often find several outputs of the same type on a computer. If you connected your second screen, for example, to the VGA-out, check if there is another one of the same free one. Try swapping the cable to an alternate output and check if the monitor is recognized.
- If after these manipulations you did not see the picture on the monitor, perhaps the problem lies in the cable connection to the integrated graphics card, which is deactivated by default, since the image from the dedicated card is displayed on the monitor.
- In the photo, you see exactly such a case: the right connectors belong to the graphics card (highlighted in red), while the left ones belong to the motherboard. Since the integrated video system is deactivated by default in such a situation, you can only get an image from those outputs that the dedicated graphics card offers.
PC “does not see” the second monitor: we check the cable
If the computer does not detect the second monitor after connecting, first of all check if the cable with which you are trying to connect the monitor to your system unit is working properly.
- Connect your monitor to your computer using a different cable if you have multiple wires for connecting monitors.
- If the screen worked, then most likely the problem was a malfunction of the second wire, which can be safely disposed of.
- If the screen, on the other hand, is still not working, the problem may be the video output of your PC or incorrect system settings.
What to do if the computer “does not see” the second monitor?
Have you connected a second monitor to your PC, but it refuses to be recognized? The reason for this can be either a cable defect or incorrect OS settings. We will tell you how to find out the reason why your second screen is not detected.
PC “does not see” the second monitor: enable the definition of the second monitor in the system settings
Another reason for the second monitor being unrecognizable may be due to incorrect system settings on your computer. In this case, follow the steps below to pair the second monitor with your computer:
- Go to the “Control Panel”, select the option “All Control Panel Items | Screen | Screen Resolution “and click the” Define “button
- Click on the found monitor and select the “Expand these screens” menu item.
- If you are establishing a connection to a wireless display. click on the “Detect” button and wait for the connection to be established with the monitor.
What to do if the computer does not see the video card in Windows 10?
It is not uncommon for an operating system update to lead to problems with hardware, in particular with video cards. For example, often the newest Windows 10 in the computer refuses to recognize the graphics device. Most of the difficulties arise after updating Windows, since when installing Windows 10 “from scratch”, users hardly encounter such problems.
This article discusses in detail the issues that arise with the definition of a computer with a new operating system of the following graphics devices: Intel HD Graphics, NVIDIA GeForce, or AMD Radeon. There are several methods available to fix the problem when a Windows 10 computer does not see these devices.
It should be noted that it is required to clearly separate the categories of difficulties with video cards, i.e. when “Device Manager” does not see it and when Windows cannot recognize it.
In the second version, the display will display absolutely nothing and just the user’s eyes will be presented with a kind of reconstruction of Kazimir Malevich’s painting “Black Square”. In this case, several conclusions can be drawn, for example, a malfunction of the graphics device itself or problems with hardware compatibility, and with a significant probability this can be caused by a conflict between the video device and the computer motherboard.
The process of installing video card drivers in Windows 10
First, provide the computer with drivers by visiting the official pages of video card manufacturers. Then proceed with the removal of the already installed software devices.
How to uninstall drivers?
It is required not only to remove the existing software, but also then not to allow the operating system to take from its own resources with their subsequent installation. Incorrect installation of video device software reduces the speed of the system as a whole and is the main reason why the OS does not see the equipment.
There is a manual removal method using the “Control Panel”. To do this, open the “Control Panel” and enter the “Programs and Features”. where to find everything related to a specific video card model and remove them. Then reboot the PC. This method is quite simple and even beginners can handle it successfully.
But this method has a couple of significant disadvantages:
- significant time and inconvenience to fish out programs to remove them one by one;
- with the manual method, many files and branches of the graphics hardware software remain, as well as their possible partial recovery after manual intervention.
It is recommended to use the special “Display Driver Uninstaller” application to complete the task. It is free and completely automatically copes with the problem.
How to configure graphics hardware in Windows 10?
The main problem due to which the OS does not recognize the hardware is that the required drivers are simply not installed to ensure the full functioning of, for example, a video card.
This is due to the sluggishness of some video card manufacturers who did not manage to develop new software for Windows 10, as well as Microsoft itself, which did not modify its software to match specific video card models. And also very often users face the problem that the necessary software for graphic devices cannot be installed on a PC.
How Microsoft responded to this problem?
The creators of Windows 10 themselves advise, in the event of such difficulties, the following:
- as soon as the activation of the new Windows 10 is completed, it is recommended to restart the computer and then enter the “Device Manager”. where more equipment should be displayed. Next, you need to reinstall the drivers on this hardware;
- pre-install the frameworks of the required version before starting to install the drivers;
- a mandatory requirement is the iGPU connection in the BIOS, if there is a pair of graphic devices in the computer;
- analyze. is there any chipset software for the motherboard. Not infrequently, computer owners do not pay attention to that when installing Windows 10, but it happens that it happens that they are not installed at all due to an unsuitable motherboard.
It is recommended to download drivers only from the official resources of the companies that produce video cards. If there is no software suitable for Windows 10 for a specific graphics device, it is allowed to download drivers for Windows 8.
Next, you need to disconnect the PC from the global network and follow the following instructions:
- perform software uninstallation (details on the complete removal of drivers will be discussed in this article below);
- then reboot the PC;
- further, in order to install the drivers, you need to open a utility, for example, “Geforce”:
Alternatively, you can use the “Device Manager”. where to click on the device and click on “Update”;
- show the location of the driver and reboot the PC again;
- connect to the internet.
It should be noted that if the “Malevich Square” is displayed again, then you just need to give time to the computer. If after a minute the blackness on the display has not disappeared, then you must press “Win” and “R” at the same time. Then type “shutdown / r”. This will open a window that the user, of course, will not be able to contemplate, but it will work. It is required to wait at least 11 seconds and then click the “Enter” key. \. Wait six seconds again and press “Enter”. \ again. You cannot turn off the PC using the power key.
Solving the problem using “Display Driver Uninstaller”
Install the program is available from the official page “Display Driver Uninstaller”. There is no need to install it on a PC, you just need to click “Display Driver Uninstaller.exe” and the application will open.
Important! It is advisable to work with the utility after booting in the safe mode of Windows 10. You will need to hold down the “Win” button, click on “R” and enter “msconfig” in the window that opens. Then open the “Download” tab, mark the required Windows, put a tick on “Safe Mode”. click on “Apply” and restart your computer.
In the main menu of the application, the user will see the following:
- mark the devices of the software to be removed;
- options for operations: complete removal followed by a reboot of the system, also without rebooting and deleting and disabling the graphic device.
It is recommended to stay at 1 recommendation.
Before starting actions, it is recommended to click on “Options” in order to make settings.
Disconnect the PC from the global network. Open the downloaded video card driver file. After waiting for the complete installation of the drivers, restart the computer. After that, make sure that the OS sees the necessary hardware.