What To Make A Screen For A Projector
What to make a sound-transparent screen for a projector?
Colleagues, good afternoon.
I plan to make a multi-format screen (I will post about it). And there are two options: do it as it is (leave the screen on the frame and just make curtains to change the format) or make a full-fledged installation of acoustics behind the screen and wrap everything around with a sound-transparent black cloth.
The question is on the screen. I don’t really want to take a branded one, I want to experiment.
While the choice fell on a banner with perforation, can anyone have had experience? How much does it affect the sound? What diameter should the perforation be and its distance from each other? Is there a loss in brightness?
Maybe there is another material for the given task, which does not need to be perforated, which is already breathing.
A screen for a projector must have certain light-reflecting properties, and a sound-conducting screen must also be able to transmit sound. If you have a good projector in your system, and not with ali for 3000 rubles, then the screen for such a projector must meet the characteristics of the projector. Such screens are made of special and far from cheap fabric. Yes, and screens for normal cinema projectors, none of their normal people from banners do NOT.)))
I understand that the banner is not the best option, but also NOT the worst
Screens with Ali are worse
Painted already assembled Projecta screens plus minus also show
Tested with branded screens and the result is quite good
And if the budget of one 5a second is 50, and the difference in quality is 5-7 percent
Again, I’m willing to put up with it
personally for me is not critical
try acoustic perforated stretch ceiling matt
I’ll try, let me know
Why not experiment and love to quit, the costs are small. Suddenly like it. Practice. criterion of truth. Question: why complicate your life and make a sound-transparent screen?
will hide the speakers of the screen for a heightened movie effect
Plus, this way I can lower the screen, which is very Zadran
My screen 120 “electrically fixed to the ceiling. When unfolded, it descends in height exactly to the fronts of the floor stands, their height is 92 cm.TV 55 is installed on the wall behind the screen”, therefore, the screen on the ceiling is moved 12 cm away from the wall. I lower the screen. watch the projector, raise it. I watch TV. What is a multi-format screen for? It seems to me that any sound-transparent screen will still attenuate high frequencies. I WOULD NOT want a screen like this.
multi-format is needed to eliminate black bars and achieve a 2: 35: 1 format
Screens are made of PVC coated.
Spraying can be from paint or metallized, with different reflectivity (both positive. To increase brightness, and negative. To increase contrast).
It is almost impossible to repeat at home.
Banners some “kulibins” try, the result from the point of view of cinema is doubtful.
Acoustic transparency. perforation. Of course, perforation affects the sound, while at different frequencies in different ways. Single hole diameter affects image quality (smaller holes are less visible), total hole area affects acoustic clarity.
In addition, the screen can be created from the wall.
We level to 0, white soil in several layers, paint in several layers. If done correctly. will look better than a banner. But if you take a special paint. will be comparable in cost to buying a screen.
Excuse me, I’ll ask you, today a projector came to me, according to the measurement results I will choose the diagonal of the canvas, the screen will be located above the TV, so it will be a roll type, can anyone have experience in selecting a screen with such a mechanism? What to look at?
Almost all brands have roll-up screens. It all depends on the class of the projector and financial capabilities
The first stage is making the frame
You need a rigid frame on which you need to stretch the canvas. It can be made from wooden beams or a metal profile such as aluminum. The upper part of the frame, which carries the main load, can be taken from the finished structure. For example, from tubes for attaching curtains (usually they come with a ceiling mount). It all depends on your idea: where exactly, and how the screen should fit into the interior.
Consider the option of making a frame made of wood. In this case, we need:
- even straight bars of the required length;
- metal boxes (profile) made of aluminum or duralumin;
- metal corners for rigid fixation of frame parts to each other;
- fabric to create the surface (it is better to take a little more than necessary)
- backing material (thin felt, polyethylene)
- tools and consumables (tape measure, construction knife / tailor’s scissors, screwdriver, furniture stapler with staples, sandpaper, hanging ears, screws).
The frame should consist of at least 5 parts: four form a perimeter (the frame itself), and the fifth (maybe the sixth) should be inserted between the long sides, adds rigidity to the structure, otherwise the frame may be skewed or the state may be twisted (“screw”). It is possible to use strips of dense fabric for mutual tension of the opposite sides, but this should be done only after the formation of an exact rectangle.
After sawing the bars, all ends and edges must be cleaned with sandpaper. You can verify the correct shape of the frame by measuring the diagonal: if the distance between opposite corners is the same, then the bars converge exactly at right angles:
The second stage is stretching the canvas
When the frame is ready, you can stretch the canvas (vinyl, raincoat fabric). It works best on a soft surface so as not to damage the fabric. We put felt or polyethylene, if necessary. Next, the material is nailed to the tree with a stapler in this order:
- We start from any angle.
- Choosing an angle on the short side, pulling the material and support a little.
- We start with the already nailed short side, shoot with a stapler alternately on opposite sections of the long sides. Each time before attaching, we slightly stretch the canvas so as not to leave folds. So we move to the edge of the frame.
- Securing the fabric along the second short side and in the last corner.
- Getting started by cutting off excess material with a knife.
Attach the hanging ears to the frame. You can make a contrasting black frame to give a noble look.
In the following, you can see how a screen with a diameter of 3 m is made from a material for stretch ceilings. a satin lash, which is attached to an aluminum frame:
- Alignment. Use a building level to determine the verticality and smoothness of the wall. You can re-plaster the wall if necessary.
- Priming. The primer paint should be matt and provide the outer paint layer with maximum smoothness of the texture.
Most DIYers frame the screen in black. paint the frame with black paint, or apply thin magnetic strips to a special screen paint (strips are usually included). But you can also NOT do this in order to save “room for maneuver” and NOT feel discomfort while watching a movie with an aspect ratio of 3: 4 inside a 16: 9 frame.
What are the requirements for the screen?
Any special surface onto which an image is projected must have certain properties, otherwise there is a difference between a screen and a simple white plaster on the wall. What are these properties?
- Smooth and flat surface. The correct geometric shape of the surface is essential for the absence of distortion. This is especially important if you want to watch movies or play games with a 3D effect. surface irregularities and curves will distort the image.
- High reflectivity. If the screen material absorbs light instead of reflecting it, the picture will be dull and inexpressive, or you will have to look for a projector with increased brightness (see How to choose a projector), but the higher the brightness, the higher the price, and you will have to change the expensive one more often. lamp, pays more for electricity. So, it is easier to choose the right material, Considering that the screen surface does not have to be glossy, but should only reproduce the color, and not mirror it.
- Low weight. Most likely, the screen will be located next to electronic equipment. a projector, personal computer, TV, audio system. There is a risk of dropping the screen with a heavy weight on a fragile device, from which it may fail.
Based on the requirements put forward, in our review we will not consider the design option for a flexible screen that rolls up into a roll. over, the option with an electric drive for folding is eliminated, since this:
- greatly increases the cost of materials for manufacturing (box, electric drive)
- requires a lot of labor;
- there is a high probability of assembling a poor-quality structure, as a result of which the flexible canvas may deform or even deteriorate during folding.
We will make a cheap stationary screen, which can be made alone and in a few hours. No Special Skills required. just be able to use common tools.
Making a screen using linen material
In this case, the work is carried out in two stages:
Making a screen by painting a wall
A good option for those who are sure that the furniture will not move, and the walls will be repainted. The advantage of technology is that you can paint the entire wall as a whole, and thus be able to increase or decrease the area of the image. Although sometimes craftsmen make a black frame to emphasize the position of the screen in the interior.
The paint color can be white, light gray, or even black. The most common color is, of course, white. However, when watching old black and white films, a black background color is better, otherwise the balance of contrasting colors looks completely unnatural. Gray is a compromise solution, best suited for conventional 2-D films.
The work plan is as follows:
Homemade screen dimensions
We need to immediately decide what aspect ratio will be in our design. The following standards exist (in terms of prevalence):
- 3: 4 (old TV format)
- 16: 9 (HD-TV)
- 2.35: 1 (IMAX format).
The rest of the standards are relatively uncommon. they are rarely used for watching films.
What to make a screen for a projector?
For self-production of projector screens with your own hands, the following materials are usually used (we will list them along with the advantages and disadvantages):
- Cloak fabric. A good option. NOT afraid of moisture, touching hands, tobacco smoke.
- Dense canvas. Thick fabric is used, such as new white sheets. To improve the reflectivity, the fabric can be additionally dyed with white paint. You can also make an opaque reflective backing such as thick black polyethylene.
- Vinyl. One of the best options in terms of display quality, however, some problems are possible. The price of vinyl is quite high, you will have to look for a roll of suitable width, and most importantly, you need to be extremely careful when working with it so as not to tear or stretch the material. In addition, the surface of the final product will also be very sensitive.
- Stretch ceiling. If you have the skill of installing French ceilings, this might be your option. You just need to choose the right fabric. Pull it over the frame from the branded profile. and a great screen is ready!
- Banner fabric. One of the most popular options. Possesses high strength (after all, the material is intended for outdoor advertising, exposure to frost, direct sunlight and wind). Has a good reflectivity. Banner rolls on the market are available in a wide range of sizes, which will allow you to easily select the fabric of the desired width.
- Fiberboard / cardboard. Not a bad option at the very last limit of cheapness, on the verge of losing screen properties. The final product Will not be moisture resistant, durable or impressive, but will function quite normally.
- Drywall. Another popular option. The material is very easy to work with, but fragile and heavy. It is almost impossible to align the deformed area if it appears. It is enough to cut a rectangle of the desired size and paint with matte white paint.
- Paint on specially prepared sections of the wall. One of the easiest options. Pros. making such a screen is simple, fast and cheap. In addition, such a screen will never fall. Cons. it cannot be moved if the need arises.
Summing up, we see that there are only two approaches: painting a section of the wall / drywall or using some kind of sheet material, which is usually stretched over a removable frame.
How to make a screen for a projector with your own hands. Selecting a Projector by Purpose
Before starting to create screens with your own hands, you need to select the type of projector. After all, the appearance of the screen depends on this. Projectors are conventionally divided into budget, office, mobile, installation and home theater.
Low-cost devices are typically used in schools, training centers, vocational schools, small offices, and at home. These projectors have a minimum of features and connections.
Office devices are essential for meeting rooms, seminars and expositions, exhibitions and conferences. These projectors are functional and versatile.
Mobile devices are compact and lightweight. These projectors are shockproof. The devices are protected by a special system against theft. These projectors can be used without a computer.
Installation devices are essential for events in conference rooms. They are equipped with many settings for the geometry of the image, a large number of connectors. This type of device has maximum functionality and multitasking. A motorized projector screen fits perfectly.
Home theater projectors are designed to deliver enhanced performance. The fan noise is low. It is possible to reproduce a computer image.
Choosing the right screen for your projector
The projection surface should perform two tasks: to reproduce information in a high quality and correctly distribute light in the direction of the audience.
The type of canvas should be matched primarily to the characteristics of the room, viewing angle, position of the projector on a table or ceiling. Also, the choice of canvas is influenced by the lighting in the room and the brightness of the projector.
The next factor affecting screen fit is the aspect ratio. So, the following ratios of width and height are distinguished.
Most often, a wall screen for a projector is chosen, which takes into account any type of reproduced information. So, you can prefer a canvas with either electric control or manual control. The electric drive allows the screen to be evenly stretched onto a special shaft. Thanks to this, the canvas lasts much longer and does not suffer damage. In the case of manual control, the quality of the folding mechanism affects the safety and durability of the blade, speed and smoothness of folding.
Varieties of screens for a projector
You need to choose a screen for a projector depending on the tasks and individual requirements. Distinguish between canvases of rear or front projection; with manual or motorized control; with ceiling or wall mounting. Wall and ceiling screens are best for stationary placement.
Canvases with manual and motorized control are also called rolled canvases. The method of minimizing the screen so that it does not take up space plays a role here.
When holding meetings or conferences, canvases on a tripod are often used. Such screens are very compact when assembled, they are conveniently transformed. They can be adjusted in height, easy to transport.
Also, the screen for the ceiling projector can be roll-up, no matter what it is, installed or portable. If you need to save space, then you simply cannot do without such a canvas.
A projector screen is a must
After purchasing a projector, you need to think about buying a canvas. Of course, you can make a screen for a projector with your own hands, which will be an easy solution for creating a home theater. The canvas should display the picture with high quality. It is desirable that the screen size is large, then it will be much easier to watch, show and presentations.
Depending on the interior of the room, you can choose stretch or rolled canvases. By the way, the latter are more popular due to significant space savings. The electric roll-up projector screen will fit into any interior. In addition, it is able to better display the image due to its perfect surface. A special mechanism prevents damage to the canvas due to uniform tension and neat folding.
The use of screens on a tripod can be inconvenient. So, the support for the canvas gets in the way, especially if the area of the room is small. Tripod screen can be damaged by pets or in transit.
How to calculate screen dimensions for a projector
Careful calculations need to be made before making a projector screen that can vary in size depending on seating position and room design. The canvas should be placed in front of the audience (audience), but not in front of the device itself. This rule will be the key to the success of the event.
If you want to use a projector wallboard, its height should be approximately 1/6 of the distance “canvas is the last row of spectators”. In this case, the text on the screen will be perfectly visible. Ideally, the first row of viewers will be two canvas heights apart. This is the minimum interval from which it will be comfortable to perceive information. The bottom of the screen should be 1.2 meters above the floor. In this case, viewers from the last row will see all the information located on the canvas.
When calculating the size of the projection screen, you need to take into account the type of format that will be reproduced. If different types are shown, then all of them should be considered. The screen size should be the largest of all reproducible types.
|NTSC||4: 3 (1.33)|
|Pal||4: 3 (1.33)|
|HDTV||16: 9 (1.78)|
How to make a screen for a projector
Is it difficult to accomplish? To create a screen for a projector with your own hands, you will need:
- foamed PVC;
- aluminum profile complete with springs, corners, hinges;
- suspension mechanism (rail and rollers), if you need to move the canvas.
All actions to create the screen must be carried out on a spread soft surface. Otherwise, the face of the screen may be damaged. So, the aLGorithm of actions is as follows:
- You need to fix the frame for the screen by means of Special corners. Then install the hinges for the crossbars and fastening to the wall surface.
- The PVC sheet must be fixed in the profile frame using springs.
- If necessary, rollers are attached to the entire structure.
- Then you need to mount the rollers at the bottom of the screen so as not to scratch the wall when moving the canvas.
- To increase the rigidity of the structure, you need to install vertical posts in the attachment points.
In principle, the question of how to make a screen for a projector has been resolved. The prepared canvas is much better than the purchased rolled canvas. If you wish, you can paint the PVC with gray paint to create the feeling of being in a cinema.
Installation of projection equipment
To install projection equipment, you need to do two things: choose a location and image size.
The selection of the localization of the projector and screen depends on the size of the room, its layout and user preferences. The choice is also influenced by the width and height of the web, the location of the outlet, the distance to the equipment, etc.
The projector can be installed in several positions:
- in front of the table;
- front on the ceiling;
- behind on the table;
- behind the ceiling.
You can adjust the equipment through a special menu. And if you make a screen for the projector with your own hands, then the control will be the same as for the canvas purchased.
The second point of mounting the projected equipment is the choice of the size of the image that will be placed on the canvas. The width and height of the picture depends on the distance between the screen and the projector, signal format and magnification. The equipment should stand on a flat horizontal surface of the beam. fall strictly perpendicular to the center of the web.
After THESE steps, you need to properly connect the projector. There are many connectors on its back. Users who show presentations constantly connect the computer to the projector through the same input. However, if NOT slides are shown, but. then you need to figure out which connector you need to connect the cable to.
- You can use a wall in your apartment instead of a screen. It is desirable that the surface on top be unused. A white door, refrigerator or wardrobe will also work.
- You can project an image onto a white ceiling. In this case, you will need a large number of pillows, which will be on the floor. And the projector must somehow be fixed not horizontally, but vertically.
- As a screen, you can use a large loose-leaf calendar turned over to the audience with the white side. A white shelf from a wardrobe or chest of drawers, placed on a stool and leaning against the wall, is also suitable. The image will be worse on a white roman shade or light curtain.
Now everything is known about the projector and the screen. It is so nice to watch a movie with the whole family at home on a large improvised canvas, it is so effective to show a presentation at a conference and win the sympathy of the audience. The modern world without a projector is dull and boring.
For the manufacture of the screen, banner fabric is best suited. a synthetic material with high strength and excellent reflective properties.
Projector Screen Requirements
To make a projection screen, it is necessary to take into account a number of conditions that make the perception of the image the most comfortable. These primarily include the rules for placing spectator seats:
- the first row of seats should be at a distance of two screen heights (at least)
- the last row of seats should be located NOT closer than 6h, where h is the screen height in meters:
- the distance from the bottom edge of the screen to the floor must be at least 1.2 m.
Based on this, the user should attend to the choice of the appropriate room in which it is supposed to view.
It is also necessary to take into account the existing image formats (the ratio of the width of the frame to its height):
- standard. 1: 1;
- old television format. 4: 3;
- wide format. 16:10;
- TV format in HD quality. 16: 9;
- 3D format. 2.35: 1.
The aLGorithm for making the simplest tube with a fabric screen includes a sequence of such actions.
- The tube itself is being prepared, for which, with the help of a grinder, a plastic pipe is cut to the size of the screen and a cut is made along its axis. Cutting width approx. 1 cm. The edges of the hole are carefully cleaned so that there are no burrs or sharp protrusions.
- One of the wooden slats is used as an axis for winding the screen. Its length should be 5 cm longer than the width of the canvas. Bearings are tightly fitted to the ends of the rail so that 1 cm of boards still peep out of them on both sides. If necessary, the seats on the rail are adjusted to the inner diameter of the bearings.
So, every home craftsman can make a projection screen on his own. The complexity and appearance will depend on the requirements for the image, the availability of the necessary materials and the skills of plumbing: from a painted wall to a rolled product made of synthetic or fabric cloth with an electric drive.
How to make a screen for a projector with your own hands
The projection screen is an accessory that allows you to recreate the atmosphere of a large cinema hall at home. At the same time, it must meet certain requirements, among which the most important are a perfectly flat and flat surface, good reflectivity and low weight.
A good option for projection screens in terms of price / quality ratio is synthetic fabric or PVC film, which are used in the design of stretch ceilings. The only condition is that the material must have a matte texture. Then there will be no glare on the canvas, typical of glossy coatings. In addition, it is desirable to have a lining made of black polyvinyl chloride film. this will reduce the transparency of the material.
When making a projection screen with your own hands, you can use a variety of materials, including:
- writing drywall or foamed PVC;
- Fiberboard or cardboard;
- thick linen fabric;
- vinyl cloth;
- raincoat fabric (raincoat fabric)
- fabric or PVC film for stretch ceilings;
- synthetic material for advertising banners.
Each of THESE materials has advantages and disadvantages, so the owner of the projector will have to decide what to make the screen from on his own, based on his preferences.
ALGorithms for the manufacture of various structures
There are several ways to make homemade projection screens. The choice of any of them is carried out, Based on the available materials and tools.
The simplest option (without installing Special structures) is considered to be a simple painting of the wall, onto which the image will be projected in the future. In this case, the procedure is as follows.
Depending on the purpose of the users, water-based, automotive or reflective acrylic paint can be used to make the screen.
Most often used paint in white, gray or black.
Heavy linen fabric
Often, thick linen fabric is used as a material for making projection screens at home, for example, a regular new sheet. It is pulled over the frame, and to increase its reflectivity, it is painted with white matte paint and / or supplemented with a substrate made of thick black polyethylene film.
Finished surface for projection
In the last step, paint over the stretched fabric for the projector screen with white paint twice using a light paint roller. This will make the screen as smooth as possible. For a better design and a sense of completeness, you need to make a suitable frame for the projector screen from the slats, and also screw the retainer bar on the back of the structure. It will maintain the balance of the entire structure when fixing the projector to the wall.
To make a homemade screen for your projector with your own hands in the shortest possible time, it is better to use a special instruction. So, we create a screen for the projector step by step!
For example, the following dimensions of materials are taken: fabric. 2.6m x 1.6m, wooden blocks 2500x40x15 mm, aluminum box. 2500 × 65 mm.
Correct size calculation
In order for the projection to be successful, you need to correctly determine the distance from the projector to the screen on the entire wall, and also take into account the viewing angle of the audience.
Your future screen for a projector with your own hands, for example, from a banner, should be located from the first row with viewers about twice as far as the size of the screen itself. For example, the height of the surface is 1.5 m, which means that the audience is sitting at a distance of at least 3 meters from it. It is this distance that will be comfortable for reading and perception of any information, for example, graphs or text.
It is important to consider how far your screen will be from the floor so that back row viewers can also easily view the projector images.
There must be at least 1.2 m under the bottom edge of the projection surface.
Securing the canvas
The fabric for the projector should be dense and seamless. the quality of the image depends on it. It is necessary to pull the canvas onto the base gradually and according to the following scheme: fixed with a stapler from 1 side. pulled slightly so that there are no folds, but without using force. Be careful with tension! I did the same with the rest of the sides.
Excess fabric after fixing it must be cut with a knife.
Making the frame
Aluminum boxes in tandem with wooden bars will form the frame of your future projector or frame, on which the fabric for projection will later be attached. Two boxes need to be cut to one and a half meters. this is the height of the future projector. Then the box needs to be sheathed with a bar. To do this, retreat in width and cut the edges with scissors, later you need to bend them and level them with a mallet or hammer. You will need four such corners. Fixing and we get a durable, and most importantly, a very strong structure!
The main thing is not to forget about the center of the screen and strengthen it. To make the frame for the projector stiffer, you need to fix the tandem of the box and the beam in its central part. We connect it in the same way with the previous ones, leaving small holes on the sides.
Homemade projector screen
After purchasing projection equipment, the most important thing is to install a suitable screen design, as the usual white wall does not fit because of its roughness. What to do if finances for a special surface are already NOT enough? Make a projector screen yourself! Details in this article.
We create the base
The next step is to prepare the foundation or underlay for the projection fabric. How and what is better? To do this, you need to take sheets of fiberboard and close the entire frame with them. Cutting off the excess with construction scissors and smooth it with sandpaper so that the sharp edges of the fiberboard do NOT later scratch or tear the screen canvas. Fibreboard is best fixed with a construction stapler with large staples.
It is imperative to put a thin felt on top in order to minimize possible roughness and unevenness of fiberboard sheets and staples, which fixed the wooden base.
Tools and materials
How to make a screen for a projector with your own hands?
To start the projector manufacturing process, you will need the following materials and tools:
- the fabric itself.
- Wooden bar. It will take 4 rails.
- Aluminum box in the amount of 5 pieces.
- Frame sides. 4 pcs.
- Industrial stapler, which is used in construction.
- Felt. Best thin.
- Construction knife for metal cutting.
- construction scissors.
- Matte white projection ink.
- Kiev woman or hammer.
- Paint roller.
- Self-tapping screws. Better to take special for wood.
- Sandpaper. The denser the material, the greater the grain of the sandpaper.
- Shurpovert. This is certainly not an obligatory tool, but work with it is much easier and faster.
- fiberboard sheet.
- Frame for screen material.
Choosing material and format
A good reflective surface should not only be smooth and even in order to properly distribute light towards the audience, but also reproduce all information with high quality without distortion.
Thick white cloth can be an ideal material for a projector screen. What and from what can you make a screen?
These can be various options:
- Banner fabric. Quite a popular synthetic material with increased reflective properties. Especially good is this fabric with a black backing, which makes the screen opaque and better reflects black colors. Banner fabric is used in the manufacture of street billboards and large road banners, the so-called banners. If you are taking such fabric from a former poster, then VIEW it for damage. The main advantage of this fabric is that such a homemade projector screen can be easily rolled up.
- PVC film. DIY projector canvas can be made from another synthetic version of good fabric. This fabric is used in the construction industry for stretch ceilings. A screen for a projector made of a stretch ceiling, or rather a material, has every right to life. It is best to take, of course, a matte PVC film, and not embossed or glossy. Then there will be no glare and nervousness on it. The black film backing is also important here to increase the opacity. What else to make a screen?
- Raincoat fabric. Such material is NOT afraid of strong tension and will become a fairly durable option for reflective fabrics. In addition, the raincoat fabric is moisture resistant and does NOT absorb dirt, which is very important if the screen hangs where many people pass or children run. Imagine what will become of the projection surface if at least 100 people touch it!
- Vinyl. The material of the projector screen can be as follows. This coating is also used in construction for the assembly of stretch ceilings. This surface is the smoothest and softest. However, it stretches very quickly, so it breaks easily if handled carelessly.
- Linen fabric. If you need a screen only for home use, then you can get by with a dense linen cloth, as a very suitable projection screen canvas. For example, a new sheet. You just need to pull it over the frame and secure it. For the best reflective properties, paint over it with paint and make a backing of black film.
- Drywall. Fiberboard can also replace it. For family viewing, you can take this most budget background from the listed ones. Here you will NOT need any frames at all, but you just need to cut out a rectangle of the desired size and paint it with white, matte paint. You can also paste paintable wallpaper there to even better the surface. After drying, you can immediately attach such a rectangle to the wall. Of course, you won’t be able to achieve the highest image quality with this approach, but it’s easy to save time and money! For example, you are gathering at the dacha with a large company and want to arrange a joint film screening. The main thing is the emotions and sensations of that moment, and the quality is not so important, therefore they make it out of drywall. Such a quick, hastily made screen will help NOT to disrupt the event.
You can also use a regular roller blind as a screen for a projector “in the field”.
For such a homemade display, the canvas for the projector screen must meet several criteria:
- Integrity. No scuffs or tears;
The second important factor in the choice of fabric for a do-it-yourself projection screen will be the format.
It can be of several types:
- Standard (aspect ratio 1: 1);
- For (aspect ratio 4: 3)
- Wide (16:10 aspect ratio)
- НD (aspect ratio 16: 9);
- 3D format (aspect ratio 2.35: 1).
Detailed instructions will help you make a screen for the projector yourself.
- Two boxes will be used as guides along the width of the future screen, the second two will be cut to 1.5 m. this will be the height. Each box on one side is sheathed with a timber bar.
- From each edge of the box we make an indent along its width, we make cuts using metal scissors. Then we bend the edges, leveling them with a wooden mallet. We do the same with the second one, drill holes in the aluminum box and fasten it with self-tapping screws. We get a solid frame.
- In a similar way, to give greater rigidity to the structure, in the center, fixing the remaining fifth box, in which we also make cuts with scissors. We fasten with a wooden beam with self-tapping screws, making small holes along the edges.
- The entire frame is sheathed with fiberboard, cutting off the excess and making a chamfer with an emery cloth to remove sharp edges, which can damage the screen material. Fasteners are best done with a stapler, using large staples 10-12 mm.
- A thin felt lining is located on top of the structure. it serves to level out possible irregularities due to seams and protruding staples.
- The prepared canvas for the screen should be uniform, without seams. this is done to improve the image quality. The tension of the canvas is done gradually from opposite sides: Fastening the side No. 1 with a stapler, we pull the material without fanaticism and folds from the opposite side No. 2, we do a similar fastening at the end No. 3 and cut off the excess fabric with a knife.
- We cover the entire canvas in two layers with white paint, it is best to use a paint roller.
- For high-quality fixing to the production of the screen on the vertical of the wall, we fasten a bar to it, on which it will be convenient to fix the entire structure. Along the perimeter Install a decorative frame that ennobles the entire design.
Tools and materials
To make a screen for a projector with your own hands, you will need:
- the fabric of the required size selected for the screen, for example, our dimensions are 2.6×1.6 m;
- wooden beams, 4 pcs. with dimensions 2500x40x15 mm;
- aluminum box. 5 pcs., 2500×65 mm;
- sides for the frame. 4 pcs.;
- construction stapler;
- thin felt;
- scissors for cutting metal, construction knife;
- white paint and paint roller;
- self-tapping screws for wood;
- emery cloth;
- screwdriver to facilitate work;
- fiberboard sheet.
Correct size calculation
To properly build a screen for a projector with your own hands, you need to take into account the location of the projector and the viewing angle of the audience. The screen is located in front of the audience seats, and not in front of the projector. this is the basic rule that guarantees the success of the planned event.
The height of the canvas should be approximately 1/6 of the distance from it to the last row of spectators, only when this condition is met, the information will be perfectly readable. The first row should be NOT closer than two screen heights: for example, height = 1.5 m, which means that the first viewers should sit at a distance of 3 m. Experts assure that it is from this distance that the perception of the plot or information will be comfortable. The lower edge of the canvas should be at least 1.2 m from the floor level. the audience sitting at the very end of the hall will see all the information without shading.
Homemade projector screen. Choosing material and format
The canvas must correspond to the performance of the main tasks:
- reproduce all information reliably and with high quality;
- distribute light towards the audience at the correct angle so that there is no distortion.
As a rule, a dense, opaque white fabric is used for the screen. It can be a piece of awning or a stretch ceiling material, sheet-like vinyl, and a raincoat fabric is also suitable. In addition, even ordinary sheets made of durable canvas, without scuffs, are suitable for self-production of a projection screen or so-called home-made displays for a projector.
The aspect ratio is also one of the main factors that determines the choice of design. There are such options:
- standard 1: 1;
- format. 4: 3;
- wide. 16:10;
- HD for TV. 16: 9;
- for the film industry. 2.35: 1.
Many models of modern projectors are excessively bright, which can create black distortion when displayed. To eliminate THESE nuances, make the screen black. unusual and very original. Such a coating will reliably absorb excess of any color, with its help, you can successfully lower the effects from external lighting, excessive brightness of the projector, get the deepest black colors that a white screen cannot reproduce.
When making your own screen, you can choose the option that is most acceptable to you, and do not Use the usual standards. give freedom to your imagination within reasonable limits.