Why screen capture does not work in obs
Have you tried the above methods but they didn’t help? OBS Studio not capturing the game, is the black screen still getting in the way? Let’s try to run the program in compatibility mode with another operating system. if you have Windows 10, experiment and select the value Windows 8.
- Right-click on the application shortcut;
- Find the “Properties” section and go to the “Compatibility” tab;
- Check the line “Run the program in compatibility mode with.”;
- Select another version of the operating system and click on the “OK” icon.
The more black screen when capturing a game in OBS will not bother you. At least let’s hope so! Let’s move on to the next cause of the problem (and the solution), which should be given special attention.
One of the answers to the question why OBS does not capture the game is the lack of administrator rights when the program starts. It’s easy to fix. let’s work on the problem right now.
- Find the program icon on the desktop / in the desired folder and right-click on it;
- Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu;
- Find the Compatibility tab on the screen;
- Look for the icon “Run the program as administrator” in the window that opens and put a tick in front of it;
- Save the changes by clicking the corresponding icon.
Done! Now we recommend restarting the application (you can even restart your computer). Run as an advanced administrator and don’t worry about why the game isn’t hijacked in OBS.
Selecting the desired source
Faced the game capture not working in OBS? The situation is unpleasant. but solvable, we are ready to help! We have collected the most effective methods, which we will tell you about. Let’s start with the most elementary. carefully study the steps described below, they will come in handy more than once in case of difficulties.
Experienced users understand that the software needs to capture the broadcast to work. Only then can the video be streamed to your favorite platforms. That is why we start with an elementary setup for capturing the game in OBS.
- Open the app and find the Sources field at the bottom left;
- Click on the “Add” icon and select the “Capture Game” item;
- Go to the settings by clicking on the OK button;
- Set the following mode. “Capture a separate window”;
- In the line “Window” select the required process (it must be running on the computer);
- Find the Window Negotiation Priority field. Here you need to choose the correct title;
- Check the box “SLI / Crossfire capture mode” (but note that this action has the most negative impact on performance, it will drop sharply);
- Check the box “Use an interceptor compatible with anti-cheat protection”.
The first part of the settings is completed, if the black screen repeats when capturing a game in OBS, you need to try another method! Go back to the sources, click on the add button and do the following:
- Select the value “Window capture”;
- In the “Window” parameter, select a process from the drop-down list. this is game content that is currently running on the computer in windowed or full-screen windowed mode;
- Check the box “Compatible with multi-adapter”;
- Look for the Window Negotiation Priority tab and compare the title. you need to find a SIMilar title.
The black screen in OBS should disappear when capturing a game. checking the correct OBS settings for streaming is necessary at the very beginning! It is with these actions that we begin to solve problems. Only then do we move on to the next steps. we’ll talk about them below.
Change graphics settings
Sometimes a black screen in OBS appears when capturing a game due to incorrect graphics settings. It’s good that they can be changed at any time! Please note that this method is only suitable for computers running Windows 10 and newer.
- Click on the start menu button and go to options;
- Find the “Games” icon on the screen;
- In the window that opens on the left, look for the “Related parameters” tab and click on the “Graphics settings” button;
- In the “Select an application to configure settings” section, find the “Classic application” icon;
- Click on the “Browse” button below;
- Go to the installation path of the program (as a rule, by default it is located on the C drive, in the Programm Files directory) and click on the OBS icon;
- Now the software icon will appear under the Browse button;
- Select it by clicking the left mouse button and click on the “Parameters” icon;
- If you want to capture the source “Display” to show the desktop, select “Power Saving” and check the option;
- If you want to capture source of game content (or use the NVENC encoder), you need to select the High Performance option;
- Now click on the “Save” button. Done!
Do you understand what to do if Streamlabs is not capturing the game? Be sure to keep the memo. it will come in handy more than once!
OBS Doesn’t Capture the Game: Causes and Solutions in 2020!
OBS not capturing the game and showing a black screen? Don’t worry. every problem has a solution that we have already prepared. Look for the reasons in our review and choose the appropriate way to get rid of difficulties! Ready?
The biggest issue that we need to address when solving the black screen problem when OBS is not capturing the game is a conflict between two GPUs. This is the software that comes with every computer by default. This is an Intel GPU and a discrete graphics chip (NVIDIA or AMD).
The problem “OBS does not capture the game / black screen” appears under the following conditions: the broadcast software uses one graphics chip, and the launched toy runs on another. There is a conflict that provokes difficulties. What can be done?
- Close the OBS and launch the NVIDIA Control Panel;
- Proceed to the “Managing 3D Settings” section. find the subsection “Software settings”;
- Click on the “Add” icon opposite the line “Select a program to configure”;
- Find the streaming software file and add it. Make sure the title appears in the list;
- Go to the subsection “Select your preferred GPU.”;
- Open the dropdown menu and set the value to “High performance NVIDIA processor”;
- Restart Stream Labs OBS. the black screen should disappear when capturing the game.
Now you understand why OBS does not capture the game and the black screen pops up instead of the desired content. Our advice will help you deal with difficulties. we are sure everything will work out! You will quickly and efficiently solve the problem and return to full use of the software.
If OBS Studio does not capture the screen, it’s time to remember about the complexities of interaction between two video cards. this problem occurs only for users whose computers have NVIDIA / AMD and INTEL graphics and discrete processes at the same time.
A little later, we will tell you how to resolve the conflict between two processors, but for now we will offer a quick solution. it will be useful for forced launch in the desired mode if screen capture fails in OBS Studio:
- Click on the application shortcut with the right mouse button;
- Find the line “Run with a GPU”;
- An additional menu will appear. click on the “Integrated graphics hardware”.
Done, the black screen when capturing the screen in OBS may disappear after this action.
If it doesn’t help, we continue to delve into the question! Why is there a conflict between two processors? The fact is that different programs can run under different systems. discrete and graphical. A streaming application operates according to one aLGorithm, and a running game / program. according to an alternative one! Hence the difficulty, hence the black screen when capturing a window in OBS.
If you have NVIDIA:
- Open NVIDIA Control Panel and go to the subsection “Manage 3D Settings”;
- Find the “Program Settings” icon and add Studio to the exclusions;
- Now find the line “Select a program to configure” and click on the “Add” icon;
- Go to the application installation directory (the default folder is in Program Files);
- As soon as the software appears in the list, click on the “Select your preferred graphics processor.” button;
- Open the dropdown menu and set the value to “High performance NVIDIA processor”.
Be sure to restart your computer. then the black screen when capturing OBS screen will disappear.
- Right-click on the desktop and go to the AMD menu;
- Click on the “System” icon;
- Open the “Recent Applications” tab;
- Find Studio in the list of programs and select the “Power saving” option for it through the drop-down menu.
The last reason why the OBS does not capture the screen, the black screen overlaps the correct broadcast content. the graphics settings are out of order. Let’s say a few words about this. you can easily fix the problem in a couple of minutes.
Run in compatibility mode
Sometimes the reason OBS screen capture doesn’t work is because of an operating system compatibility bug. Of course, the application was developed taking into account the capabilities of different operating systems. but sometimes such bugs still appear. So don’t be lazy and try switching compatibility mode. This is done like this:
- Right-click on the application shortcut;
- Find the “Properties” item in the drop-down menu;
- Open the “Compatibility” tab;
- Check the box “Run the program in compatibility mode with.”;
- Save your changes!
OBS not capturing the screen: what to do about the problem!
OBS is not capturing the screen, can’t you use the streaming software normally? To give up early. no need to look for workarounds, you need to boldly face the problem face to face! After all, we know the main reasons for the appearance. and, more importantly, effective solutions. Ready to share with you!
Correct program settings
OBS not capturing screen, black screen appearing instead of broadcasting display content? The situation is unpleasant, requires an urgent solution. you want to go on air faster and show cool content to viewers of streaming services?
We are in a hurry to help! You should start with the correct settings. users do not always set the correct parameters, hence the SIMplest mistakes are taken.
- Open the OBS and go to the Sources section;
- If you choose the “Window Capture” icon. configure the following parameters: in the “Window” section, select an already running process;
- Check the box “Client area”;
- In the section “Window approval priority” we compare the titles. if they differ, look for a window of the same type;
If you click on the “Capture Game” button. We recommend setting the following settings: in the “Mode” section, select the “Capture a separate window” parameter;
- In the “Window” block, look for the required running program;
- With the section “Priority of approval.” we follow the instructions above;
- We are looking for the line “SLI / Crossfire capture mode” and enable the use of an interceptor, combined with protection against cheats.
Now you can get back to work! Be sure to save the changed settings. then the black screen during screen capture in OBS Studio will no longer bother you.
Video card drivers
Another tip that should not be neglected if the screen is not capturing in OBS. update your video card drivers! Be sure to check if you need to install a new version of the drivers.
You can do it like this:
- Right click on “My Computer” and go to “Properties”.
- Open the device manager;
- Go to the “Video adapters” tab and find the required video card. by clicking the right mouse button you can go to the drop-down menu;
- Now click on the icon “Update video card drivers”.
Let’s figure out why screen capture in OBS is still not working. and try to find ways to solve the problem!
Run as administrator
Another answer to the question of why screen capture does not work in OBS is that the computer user does not have the necessary rights. At first glance, they are completely unnecessary. but it is difficult for an ordinary person to delve into technical difficulties.
So let’s just try to fix it! Just right-click on the program shortcut on the desktop (or in some of the folders) and select the line “Run as administrator” from the menu that appears. You will be surprised how well the SIMplest action can help.!
Do not forget! This method can only be used by owners of the tenth version of the operating system! So, let’s try to remove the black screen when capturing OBS screen in Windows 10:
- Click on the “Start” menu button and go to the section with options;
- Enter the “Games” block;
- Find the button “Related options” in the menu on the right;
- Click on the “Graphics Settings” icon;
- Click on the drop-down list of the “Select an application to configure settings” section and find the “Classic” item;
- Click on the “Browse” button and go to the directory where the OBS was installed;
- Click on the icon. now it has appeared in the menu;
- Highlight the icon and click on the “Options” button that appears;
- If you need to capture a game in OBS, check the box next to the “High performance” option;
- If you want to capture the contents of the display, click on the “Power Saving” line;
- Save the changes by clicking on the corresponding button.
You have learned what to do if OBS is not capturing the screen. everything is much easier than it seems at first glance. Take our advice into service and deal with the difficulties encountered in the blink of an eye. You will succeed. just follow the instructions!
How to enable desktop or specific area capture on Windows 10?
The key difference between the new Windows 10 operating system and earlier builds is that you no longer need to install additional programs to capture the desktop screen or an active game window. It is enough to enable the desired option in the settings of the operating system itself and start recording. Therefore, in this topic, we will look at methods on how to enable desktop capture on Windows 10.
In order to start working with the function of recording what is happening on the desktop, you need to activate it. It’s easy to do this on Windows 10. To do this, do the following:
- Press the key combination “WinG”. A small window will appear. We put the mark “Yes, this is a game” so that the recording control panel appears.
- A small window will appear. Click on the gear icon to bring up the settings menu.
- We set the required recording parameters.
- Then you need to click on the “Play” button. As soon as recording starts, a countdown will appear.
IMPORTANT! This function will record at 1080p. Since this is a fairly high resolution, the minimum requirements will include the mandatory presence of an Intel HD Graphics 4000, GeForce 600 / 800M or AMD Radeon HD 7000 graphics adapter. The recorded video will be saved in mp4 format and placed in the “Videos”, “Clips” folder.
For how this method works in practice, see
If you have an NVidia graphics card installed, you can record your desktop using a tool like Shadow Play. This can be done as follows:
- Open the GeForse Expirience panel. At the top, select the “Parameters” tab and in the left menu click “Shadow Play”.
- Here we look at the following sections. The camera is responsible for taking pictures of a person. If you are not going to take pictures of yourself, but only the desktop, then do not touch this item. Status indicator is a parameter that indicates whether the recording process is enabled. The frames per second counter can be set in any desktop window. This is necessary if fps is important to you.
- Next, click on the “Shadow Play” button to bring up a menu for setting the quality of shooting, sound, etc.
- Then we return to the main menu again, lower the slider down and indicate the folder where the material will be recorded.
- The settings are ready. By clicking on the “Record” button, you can record everything that happens on the desktop.
For how this desktop capture method works, see
For SIMple video recording with sound and microphone, 160 is quite suitable.
Select the format for recording audio-video and images. The following mov, MP4, quicktime, FLV are recommended. These formats provide good compression with no visible loss of quality on most devices.
How to record video with sound in windows through OBS Studio in the video below:
Let’s take a look at the step-by-step instructions for recording a video with sound:
When the program is launched, you need to select source to capture:
We select the source you are interested in, for this you need to click on the plus in the sources window:
For examples you have selected “Screen Capture”. In this case, the program will capture everything that happens on the screen.
- SIMple mode. SIMple encoding and recording settings.
- Advanced mode. more detailed encoding and recording settings.
You need to select the folder where the recordings will be saved and save the project. This will be done so that while working on the record you can save it by pressing one button without specifying the path to the file, or even set autosave in the settings at intervals.
To have no spaces in the file name, you need to check the box “Generate file name without spaces”.
How to record screen video with OBS Studio
Text articles and step-by-step instructions are a thing of the past. Today, almost no one reads such sources, everyone prefers watching video tutorials and guides.
over, some applications or games are so dynamic that it is impossible to describe them in words, but displaying information in video format is easy.
This article will tell you how to record video from the screen using OBS Studio in the Windows operating system, we will also tell you how to properly configure video encoding codecs, configuration of audio devices, data output to the final file.
To set up OBS Studio sound, go to the “Audio” tab, select the system driver and select which microphone and speakers you want to use. Usually the microphone name in the system is the same as the microphone name on the packaging.
As for the audio outputs, it is very easy to define them: no matter how many of them there are, you can run a test or hear which specific output the sound is coming from.
First of all, it should be said that if you have an external sound card and an additional microphone, then the quality of your sound will be professional and you will not have to further process it.
However, if you don’t have an external sound card, the built-in sound system, which is found in almost any laptop and on almost any headphones, will help you. First of all, you need to configure the sound card driver. Usually, this is downloadable software that allows you to process and convert it to wav or mp3 files.
Even if you are recording in a noisy room or you have equipment from a budget price category, this is not a reason to despair. By manipulating the processing, you can achieve very clear sound.
- The first thing that comes in handy is a noise-gate plug-in that removes sound below a certain level. How it works: let’s say there are 2 noise sources in the room, 1 is the room fan, and the second is the streamer itself. The fan operates at 16 decibels, the streamer’s voice near the microphone is 22 decibels. If you set the plug-in level to somewhere in the 16 decibels, the fan sound will disappear completely. It will disappear only during the period of time while the streamer is silent. As soon as the streamer begins to speak, the sound of the fan will be heard in its background, however, the voice will be much louder than the noise.
- To completely eliminate fan noise you will need a compressor and an equalizer. The compressor will help to highlight the voice and further reduce the fan noise. The principle of its operation is very SIMple. it is an automated volume knob that is triggered when the sound exceeds the threshold by a specified number of decibels. In other words, as soon as the streamer starts to speak, the compressor will immediately separate his voice from the general sound, and the fan will be cut off by the noise gate. Equalizer helps boost voice frequencies and suppress fan noise.
- If you want to achieve premium quality, then you need to use a spectrum analyzer and cut out from the spectrogram specifically those areas that are responsible for noise.
OBS Studio offers the user several encoders to choose from:
- software (x264). an encoder that uses the processor itself (most streamers prefer it):
- hardware (NVENC). encoder that uses the video processor (works if an NVIDIA video card with CUDA technology is installed);
- hardware (QSV). encoder that uses the Intel processor graphics chip.
Let’s take a closer look at the encoders below:
X264 encoder settings:
- bitrate control. bitrate settings:
- VBR. variable bit rate;
- CBR. constant bitrate;
- ABR. average bitrate;
- CRF. bitrate determined by the average CRF.
NVENC encoder settings:
- bitrate control. bitrate settings:
- VBR. variable bit rate;
- CBR. constant bitrate;
QSV encoder settings:
- Target Usage. This parameter indicates the level of hardware usage by the encoder:
- Quality. Quality;
- Balanced. Balanced;
- Speed - Fast.
Set the recording area
Select the area or window you want to record. Click Full to take a screenshot of the entire screen and click Custom to drag the area you want to capture. You can also select a preset area from the drop-down list. If you want to record your screen with sounds, you can enable microphone or system sound.
Select Video Recorder to Launch
In the main interface, you will see the various options available, such as VCR, Audio Recorder, Screenshot, and . If you are using a Mac, you will see “Webcam Recording” instead of “”. Select “DVR” to record the screen.
Effective Way to Fix OBS Black Screen on Window Capture
Another effective way to solve the problem. use TuneFab Screen Recorder instead of OBS Studio to record your screen.
Main features of TuneFab Screen Recorder:
Multiple recording modes: Record screen actions, record audio, or overlay a webcam on your video.
Variable recording area: Capture the entire screen, region or preset areas.
Various file formats: Save videos in major output formats like MP4, M4A, MOV, AVI, etc.
High quality Record video in lossless quality.
Adjustable frame rate: Set the frame rate to 20fps, 24fps, 25fps, 30fps or 60fps.
Intuitive Video Editor: Allows you to edit annotated videos in real time.
Easy to use: Record video with one click or set the keys you want.
Schedule Recording Available: Schedule your recording when you are not available.
To capture your windows with TuneFab Screen Recorder easily, please follow these steps:
Configuring video recording options
Click the gear icon on the right to open Settings. You can set the location of the output files, video format, video quality and frame rate in the Output tab. For Mac users, you can save your videos to MOV, MP4, M4V and Gif, and for Windows users. to MOV, MP4, M4V, Gif and others.
How to fix OBS black screen when capturing
There are several reasons why OBS isn’t working properly to capture what’s displayed on your screen. Every reason has a corresponding solution.
Download and Install TuneFab Screen Recorder for Windows or Mac
Click the “Try it Free” button below to download and install TuneFab Screen Recorder on your computer. Launch the software and you should be able to register for a free TuneFab account when prompted.
How to Fix: OBS Black Screen on Window Capture
You may somehow encounter a black screen error when capturing a screen on Windows using OBS Studio. Disappointed, isn’t it? In order to solve the OBS Windows black screen capture issue, we would like to share with you three methods to fix OBS black screen effectively with the best effective alternative way to solve this annoying problem. Now keep reading and see how to fix it.
Optimizing GPU settings
If the program being recorded takes up more GPU than OBS, it may cause a black screen in the OBS display window. You may need to customize your OBS GPU by following these steps:
Close OBS if it works.
Click on NVIDIA Control Panel in the Windows Control Panel to open it.
Select “Manage 3D Settings” tab “Program Settings”.
Section “1. Select a program to configure “click” Add “. In the pop-up window, navigate to the.exe path for OBS and add it to the list. Default paths:
For 32-bit: C: \ Program Files (x86) \ obs-studio \ bin \ 32bit \ obs32.exe
For 64-bit: C: \ Program Files (x86) \ obs-studio \ bin \ 64bit \ obs64.exe
Select “High Performance NVIDIA Processor” from the drop-down list under “2. Please select your preferred GPU for this program “.
Close the panel and restart OBS to see if the issue is fixed.
Enable OBS Compatibility Mode
A black screen may appear due to OBS compatibility with the Windows 10 operating system. You can try running the program in compatibility mode, for this:
Search for “OBS Studio” in the Windows search bar.
Right click on the program icon and select “Open file location”.
In the pop-up window, right click on the executable and select Properties Compatibility.
Check the box next to “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and select Windows 7 or 8 from the drop-down list.
Save changes and exit properties. Start OBS and see if the problem is resolved.
Black screen in OBS Studio, 5 ways to solve the problem
Published: 13 September 2017
(Updated: 16 Aug 2020)
The fourth way to eliminate black screen in OBS Studio
Windows 10 1909 and newer only
Type in the search windows “Graphics settings” and select the desired options. In the window that appears, select the “Classic Application” option and click “Browse” open the path to the program for 64bit C: \ Program Files \ obs-studio \ bin \ 64bit \ obs64.exe for 32bit C: \ Program Files (x86) \ obs- studio \ bin \ 32bit \ obs32.exe or the path where you installed OBS yourself. OBS Studio appears in the list, click Options and:
- If you want to capture the Screen Capture source to display the desktop, select Power Saving.
- If you want to capture the Game Capture source or use the NVENC encoder, select High Performance.
If Screen Capture does not work, most likely you will need to use Game / Window Capture because OBS only starts with the Integrated Graphics option. Remember that after that “Capture game / windows” will not work until you activate “Compatibility with multi-adapter” in their properties. Read about it below.
The second way to eliminate black screen in OBS Studio
If OBS Studio does not hijack the application, try running OBS Studio as administrator. Right mouse button on OBS Studio. “Run as administrator”
- Close OBS if program is open.
- Go to the NVIDIA Control Panel section. to do this, on the desktop of your laptop, right-click, select “NVIDIA Control Panel”.
- Click on “Manage 3D Settings” if not already selected.
- Go to the “Software settings” section, then click on the “Add” button where it says “Select a program to configure”.
- Next, find the.exe file of the OBS program, then add it to the list.
- By default, the file path is: C: \ Program Files (x86) \ obs-studio \ bin \ 32bit \ obs32.exe or C: \ Program Files \ obs-studio \ bin \ 64bit \ obs64.exe.
If you want to capture the Screen Capture source to display the desktop, select Integrated Graphics.
If you want to capture the Game Capture source or use the NVENC encoder, select High Performance NVIDIA Processor.
Another way is to change the “Global Settings” so that all applications run on the NVIDIA GPU by default (higher power requirements):
- Close OBS if program is open.
- Go to NVIDIA Control Panel. to do this, on the desktop of your laptop, right-click, select “NVIDIA Control Panel”.
- Click on the left on “Manage 3D Settings” and then on the right the “Global Settings” tab.
- Click on the dropdown box and select “High-performance NVIDIA processor”, then click the “Apply” button and then “OK”.
- Reopen OBS and test the program.
Guidance for setting up OBS to run with the appropriate GPU can be found here: https://community.amd.com/
First way to eliminate black screen in OBS Studio
Launch OBS Studio try to capture the desired application using “Game Capture” “Window Capture“
- Game Capture. try setting the following settings:
- “Mode”. Capture a separate window;
- “Window” select the required process (the process must be running);
- Window Negotiation Priority. Compare title, otherwise find a window of the same type;
- It is better to check the “SLI / Crossfire capture mode (Slow)” checkbox at the last moment, as it greatly affects the performance;
- Check the box “Use an interceptor compatible with cheat protection.
Third way to eliminate black screen in OBS Studio
Try to set the compatibility of the desired application with another operating system
- Right-click on the shortcut of the desired application. “Properties”. Compatibility tab. put a tick on the item “Run the program in compatibility mode with:”. select, for example, Windows 8. Click “OK”
The fifth way to eliminate black screen in OBS Studio
Works on Windows 10 below version 1909
When using OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) on a laptop, you may encounter performance issues or problems using a particular type of capture (in particular, Game Capture or Window Capture), which may upset you. And all this happens because most modern laptops are equipped with two graphics processors (from the English Graphics Processing Unit, GPU):
- Intel GPU for 2D desktop applications.
- Discrete graphics chip (NVIDIA or AMD) for 3D applications and games.
OBS can only run on one of these GPUs, and applications and games you open can run on any of them. For example, if OBS is running on an Intel GPU, then you will not be able to use Game Capture running on a discrete GPU (NVIDIA or AMD). Additionally, if OBS does not run on a discrete GPU, then you may experience performance issues.
On rare occasions, trying to make Game Capture running on a different GPU than OBS can crash the game. And this is not so much an issue with OBS as a design decision by laptop manufacturers aimed at conserving power, so there is little we can do on our part.
However, we have several suggestions for diagnostics and troubleshooting that will solve most of the problems. If you have tried all the points in this guide and your problems are still not resolved, please write to us on the forum or contact the support chat.
If you get a black screen while capturing any of the sources, or have OBS performance issues on your laptop, check out the guide points below: